AR - Newborn had nearly 100 severe rat bites, parents charged, 14 May 2017

"the child was 15 days old and weighed approximately 5 lbs."

She couldn't have premature or not by much or they would not have allowed her home, so she hasn't been getting much nourishment either.

She couldn't have premature or not by much or they would not have allowed her home, so she hasn't been getting much nourishment either.
Yep. They lose a bit after birth, but this baby should have regained by now, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

The mom's mugshot says it all. Do not let them have this baby back.

I hate to say this, especially in light of the horrific pain this poor baby suffered through, but this instance could have indirectly saved her life. I don't think she would have survived living in an environment like this much longer regardless. It already sounds like she was malnourished. Considering that she's only 5 lbs and that a newborn wakes up multiple times to be fed during the night, I bet that this isn't the first time they ignored her crying in the night. I read that the bassinet was originally in the parents bedroom. A poster above said it was actually in the living room. Perhaps they moved her out so they could get their sleep instead of simply feeding the poor thing.

I just pray a good family is allowed to adopt her, and she isn't returned to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a funding site where she posted about her house catching fire while she was 7 months pregnant. Goal was $200, $0 raised.

And also, 4 children total and they are not even 20? Just saying... It works, but not for everyone.

I just don't understand the why or the how. A mother is emotionally and physically connected to a 15 day old baby. I'll never understand how this is possible. Being "incapacitated or not present' is NO excuse. It is a cause. They, or IMO especially the mother is responsible for everything that happens to that baby, with the exception of natural causes or disease. Rodents are not logically responsible for this baby's torture, the mother is. Endangering the welfare of a minor. Slap on the wrist, until we call it as it is, until the law takes a stronger stand on child abuse and child neglect this will continue. What about her next child? We, as humans need to let our law makers know how we feel about child abuse. I know in my heart the nurses gave this baby kisses and hugs. Bless our caregivers.

Makes me so sad, and angry.

Newborn Girl Found With About 100 Rodent Bites Undergoes Facial Reconstruction Surgery

Emergency room nurse told investigators that the 15-day-old baby girl suffered bite wounds on her arms, fingers, hands and face. The baby had a one-inch wound on her forehead so deep that her skull was visible.

Charles Elliott, 18, and Erica Shyrock, 19, each face a charge of endangering the welfare of a minor.

Elliott’s mother, the child’s grandmother, said he told her a mouse bit the baby and that he was worried about losing custody. Elliott’s mother allegedly told him he should take the girl to a hospital anyway.

Investigators then spoke with Shyrock, who said she woke up to the baby screaming on Sunday morning and found her covered in blood. Elliott gave a similar statement, adding that when he went to clean up the blood, he saw rat footprints in the crib.

A doctor at Arkansas Children’s Hospital said the baby girl suffered severe skin deconstruction “from rat feeding,” and that it would have taken hours for the injuries to occur. The doctor concluded that the parents were either incapacitated or not present when the rodent or rodents continuously bit the girl.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4515028/Parents-arrested-baby-covered-100-rat-bites.html
http://ktla.com/2017/05/17/newborn-found-with-about-100-rodent-bites-arkansas-parents-arrested/

Interesting. I dont' know the facts of why an older child is not living with mom, I pray it is not because the older child was abused or neglected. That would really make me sick. Children/minors have right too, not just adults.

It stated she has an older child who does not live with her.

Or that they waited for HOURS to take her to the hospital for treatment. Why you might ask? They were afraid they might lose custody. Does that make any sense to any of you?

What makes sense to me, to me, that they waited for hours to get this baby treatment is because they were thinking of themselves. They KNEW they were responsible and were afraid of charges.

I'll tell you what I'm thinking right now, and I may change my mind, but if a deal could be made that these two would terminate their parental rights to this baby and any future babies for a less degree charge I would support that.

From the weight of the baby that the doctors at AR Children's hospital are reporting to the news here in Little Rock, this doesn't sound like one night of neglect. It's sounding a whole lot more like she's been neglected from the day she came home.

This is a disgusting and sickening story, beyond disturbing. I can't imagine the pain and agony that newborn baby suffered being eaten alive by rats. Ugh. I hate even typing this! :( It's beyond torture.

The sperm/egg donors of this precious, helpless infant - clearly are meth or heroin addicts. Likely absent during this infant's torture, or possibly incapacitated. No excuse. Per physicians, the skin destruction took hours, and the baby was quite obviously in distress during this time. Ugh....sick. :tears::sick:

I could be banned.....FWIW I really don't care. The two "humans" (using this term lightly) that brought this precious baby into this world should be given the death penalty. Sadly, they won't. This poor baby never had a chance. These two monsters will never get the punishment they truly deserve. Just sick. Want to vomit. I have two beautiful daughters......I was never ok with one mosquito bite or one tummy ache. Let alone....torture? Neglect? WTF??

I weighed 5 lbs. at birth.My mother was very small and so am I.Just to say not everyone is average size or drug abusers.
Please let this baby recover and have a loving safe home.

True.

However, it's not a stretch to arrive at the conclusion that this particular 5 lb baby was neglected and malnourished. And by looking at the mom's mugshot, it's evident she was on some sort of substance.

What is causing many people to be appalled at the weight is because the parents didn't check on a newborn baby at all throughout the night despite it screaming in pain over the course of hours. If they wouldn't check on the baby when she's screaming in pain, would they check if and when she's screaming in hunger?

I think that is the main reason the weight of the baby is being discussed. I hear you though...

Is it likely this poor little one will have permanent scarring from this ordeal? I would hope to goodness she will not be faced with a permanent reminder of her suffering.

One of the local channels here in Little Rock suggested that the child was slept in all night by the parents bed. They also said that since the parents didn't hear the baby screaming the parents were either passed out or not at home. Otherwise they would have heard the child screaming. In the same interview, the parents admitted to having an infestation of rats, but they haven't done anything about it.

http://katv.com/news/local/charges-upgraded-for-couple-whose-child-was-found-with-100-rat-bites

The news here (new orleans) showed an interview with a woman who wouldn't show her face. She said it was her house, the couple got there the day before and the moms brother died less than 24 hours before this incident.

1. If that lady owned the home, more charges need to come.
2. Wait, what?!?!
3. I need to find an article because I feel crazy that I heard this and it's not posted.
4. Oh. And the dad was looking legit upset and begging for help. But didn't look too with it.
5. Mom looked very young and small and like she very probably has an cognitive disability

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/db_330682/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Qb8ZEzds

"That was nasty, it was wrong," said Franki Williams.

Williams rents the home where the couple was staying said what she witnessed Sunday morning will haunt her the rest of her life.

Williams said while she doesn't condone what happened she feels for Shryock who recently lost her brother in a car accident.

"Yes these are young kids, and I don't condone what happen to that baby in any form and fashion, I saw it, I had to deal with it that morning, but that little girl just lost her brother not 24 hours before that," Williams said.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Sickening!

One the worst cases of child neglect I have seen in a long time? Who would leave a newborn in a house like that? Has the building been condemned and sanitized? Where is the baby now? These parents should face Voluntary Manslaughter Charges. If they were charged and convicted of Voluntary Manslaughter, would would their sentence range be in Arkansas?

Satch

Sickening!

One the worst cases of child neglect I have seen in a long time? Who would leave a newborn in a house like that? Has the building been condemned and sanitized? Where is the baby now? These parents should face Voluntary Manslaughter Charges. If they were charged and convicted of Voluntary Manslaughter, would would their sentence range be in Arkansas?

Satch

Punctuation Error- First sentence should have an exclamation point at the end, not a question mark.

Satch

A family friend,, who rented the home to the couple said, "yes these are young kids and I don't condone what happen to that baby in any form and fashion I saw it I had to deal with it that morning but that little girl and just lost her brother not 24 hours before that."

In court Wednesday, Shryock and Elliott each got a $15,000 bond and it was ordered that they cannot have contact with anyone under the age of 12.

The baby was taken into DHS custody.

Prosecuting attorney said, "we are not saying they intentionally had rodents gnaw on their child's body but they allowed it to happen. This is one of the worst cases of child abuse in my 30-year career."

It was also revealed in court that between the two parents, they have a total of four children, all of whom have been taken into DHS custody.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/tee...aby-bitten-by-rats-nearly-100-times/715783818

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe
Back