Hurricane Irma - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
why do flashlight makers make flashlights in all sorts of stupid colors black the dumbest dark blue a close second

I think the brightest white known to mankind kind of makes the most sense

that is funny

you ?

yes! They should be glow-in-the-dark colors!

At it moves into GA, it will reduce even further to a Cat1.

59e186aac94579f0651b4345f53c5c62.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

So, to me, it looks like if she didn't steer to the right after Cuba (a front pushed her north?) she could have slammed into Texas?

With a massive hurricane in Florida - only 18 users browsing this thread. Hard to believe - IMO.

Once again, please be safe Floridians. My prayers and thoughts go out to you.

Only was because so many many of us have to sleep and some go to work, I think. I would be here 24/7 if my exhaustion level wasn't so bad.... but all night if I wake up I will pop in for a quick check when I can.

Wondering about Key West, (heard Snappers on Key Largo is no more), and how are homes fairing near the beach, in Naples, (a couple blocks from gulf), any word on Naple's Pier, and how are Tampa Hospitals holding up. Thanks for any input. I appreciate it. Stay safe Fla. Keeping ya'll close in thought.

Key Largo’s Snappers Destroyed, Promises To Rebuild

CNN interviewed the owner Thursday night before Irma came ashore. He told CNN he was going to ride out the storm at the restaurant but then decided to leave and that’s a good thing.

The property, on the Atlantic side of Key Largo, is now gone. They tried to board up with plywood but Irma’s destructive wind blew right through it.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/11/nappers-destroyed-key-largo-irma/

more Key Largo damage:

The roof of the Key Largo building that local emergency operations officials were using after they fled their headquarters in Marathon had blown off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/us/irma-florida-keys-gulf-coast.html

Just saw that Jacksonville was hit with flash flooding. Worried about a our peeps here. Please check in.

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Members, please leave update for your area if you can... thanks!

Updated list, HURRICANE IRMA/ location list: (as of 8 am Monday, 9/11/17)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]CARIIS = Orlando[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Henry2326 = Charleston, South Carolina[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Jax49 = Jacksonville, Florida--40 miles inland[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]oceanblueeyes = south Georgia (Lee County)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Turanna= Jupiter/West Palm Beach[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Shin Masamura = Lakeland[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Momrids6 = SE GA Coast[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Tripplogan = Jacksonville[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Cat99 = Jacksonville[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]southernmimi = South Georgia[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]NIN (No it's not) = [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Bonita Springs[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold], FL 1 1/2 miles from the beach. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]left home this morning, 9/10/17, but there is a lot of damage in her area, could not get to her home to check][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]MaryG12 - [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Sarasota. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]doing OK, still has power, 9/11/17 am[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]katsrfun = Vero Beach, FL[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Lonetraveler = Wilmington, North Carolina[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]ATasteOfHoney= barrier island - Orlando now[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]SeesSeas= [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]West Central FL, Pinellas County, half mile from Tampa Bay[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Greater Than = Miami. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]fared very well. I didn't lose power][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]AC's Grandma = near Miami[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]fraudqueen= 3 streets from Ocean, north-central Florida[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Tabirey= Myrtle Beach, South Carolina[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]bluedivergirl = near Ocala[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Skully - just north of [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Tampa. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]very loud and scary last night, 9/10, but all is good. Have power][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Moxie Vi = Ocala[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]THATchick1021= [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Dunedin. Zone E[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]What'sThatClue = near Orlando[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]BUF = near Orlando [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Power just went out 9/10/17, 9:30pm] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]JaxFlaGirl = Callahan, FL, 20 miles NW of downtown Jacksonville[/FONT][/FONT]

Key West:

On Key West, by contrast, one resident who was able to speak to a reporter by landline described streets packed with shutters, windows and branches, but no flooding or ravaged houses. The resident, an 81-year-old artist named Richard Peter Matson who has lived in an old townhouse there since 1980, had decided to shelter in his home against all advice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/us/irma-florida-keys-gulf-coast.html

Those who did evacuate the Keys should not come back until local officials had had a chance to inspect the 42 bridges that connect the Keys to each other and to the mainland,

With a massive hurricane in Florida - only 18 users browsing this thread. Hard to believe - IMO.

Once again, please be safe Floridians. My prayers and thoughts go out to you.
I appreciate this thread as a place to keep up with live events. Much of FL is now without power, so our locals may not be able to be here right now to provide us with those updates. And sleeping, I assume.

Hi CARIIS! Hope today gets you through all this with a little less anxiety tonight! hugs for you!!

Updating to add eucalyptuz:

MEMBERS, PLEASE CHECK IN WITH UPDATE TO YOUR AREA WHEN YOU CAN.
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Updated list, HURRICANE IRMA/ location list: [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]CARIIS = Orlando[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Henry2326 = Charleston, South Carolina[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Jax49 = Jacksonville, Florida--40 miles inland[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]oceanblueeyes = south Georgia (Lee County)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Turanna= Jupiter/West Palm Beach[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Shin Masamura = Lakeland[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Momrids6 = SE GA Coast[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Tripplogan = Jacksonville[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Cat99 = Jacksonville[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]southernmimi = South Georgia[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]NIN (No it's not) = [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Bonita Springs[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold], FL 1 1/2 miles from the beach. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]left home this morning, 9/10/17, but there is a lot of damage in her area, could not get to her home to check][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]MaryG12 - [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Sarasota. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]doing OK, still has power, 9/11/17 am[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]katsrfun = Vero Beach, FL[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Lonetraveler = Wilmington, North Carolina[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]ATasteOfHoney= barrier island - Orlando now[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]SeesSeas= [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]West Central FL, Pinellas County, half mile from Tampa Bay[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Greater Than = Miami. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]fared very well. I didn't lose power][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]AC's Grandma = near Miami[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]fraudqueen= 3 streets from Ocean, north-central Florida[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Tabirey= Myrtle Beach, South Carolina[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]bluedivergirl = near Ocala[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Skully - just north of [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Tampa. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]very loud and scary last night, 9/10, but all is good. Have power][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Moxie Vi = Ocala[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]THATchick1021= [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Dunedin. Zone E[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]What'sThatClue = near Orlando[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]BUF = near Orlando [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Power just went out 9/10/17, 9:30pm] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]JaxFlaGirl = Callahan, FL, 20 miles NW of downtown Jacksonville[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]eucalyptuz = just moved north from Orlando [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]house took a beating there[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]][/FONT][/FONT]

Florida Keys:

TWC believes the hardest hit areas will be between Big Coppit Key and Marathon with the brunt focused on the island of Big Pine Key. Debris and a washout of the road have isolated Big Pine from the other Keys. For those people who left, they don't know when they're getting back in -- it might be another two weeks, so now that we're here we can actually start to take care of the problem and rebuild and clean up and go from there.

Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams.” United States Air Force special operations pilots are testing flights with C-130 cargo planes. Supplies and personnel could be coming in by air to Monroe County by early Monday morning.
The first arrival will be at Florida Keys Marathon Airport, which can handle about two C-130 planes at a time. The plan is to have two C-130s land every two hours on the airfield there.

The official numbers have not come in yet, but damage is reportedly massive throughout the Keys.

The Middle and Upper Keys were also severely heavily damaged and flooded.

On Grouper Lane in Key Largo, readers sent in photos of vehicles almost entirely under water.

The storm knocked out power Keys-wide and caused damage to some of the Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority’s transmission lines, impacting the flow of fresh water to the island chain.

It was reported yesterday that U.S. 1 was drivable as of 1 p.m. down to Windley Key around mile marker 85.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article172463131.html

Authorities have asked people not to use their boats. The waters now contain too many dangerous pieces of debris to safely move around.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-irma-florida-keys-house-to-house-search-for-victims/

DEVASTATION BETWEEN BIG COPPIT KEY AND MARATHON:

TWC believes the hardest hit areas will be between Big Coppit Key and Marathon with the brunt focused on the island of Big Pine Key.

Debris and a washout of the road have isolated Big Pine from the other Keys. For those people who left, they don't know when they're getting back in -- it might be another two weeks.

The following Keys are affected, and all were inhabited: Big Coppit Key, Geiger Key, Saddlebunch Keys, Sugarloaf Key, Cudjoe Key (where the eye made landfall), Summerland Key, Ramrod Key, Middle Torch Key, Little Torch Key, Big Pine Key, No Name Key, West Summerland Key, Bahia Honda Key, 7 Mile Bridge, Boot Key, Marathon.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-irma-florida-keys-house-to-house-search-for-victims/

Here is a link to map showing each of the Keys that carried the brunt of the storm with a highlighted Cudjoe Key that made landfall: https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...548ed8fec571cf!8m2!3d24.6715318!4d-81.4984176

I am going to check today and see if I can find anything on boat guy, balcony guy, gas station guy, the guy that live streamed from key west that night, and the guy sleeping on stage at Irish Kevin pub in key west. If anyone was watching the live feeds on key west knows what I am talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder how that guy and his friend/neighbor managed. The one with the truck who said he could out run a flood surge with said truck.

I also wonder about that strap house family. Wonder if the straps were put to the test.

I did read about the parrots outside that hotel window. Supposedly they are regulars there but usually on the 23rd floor. The woman on FB said they were brought in by the hotel people and the parrots do have names.. Pedro and Paco. Since I can't link moo

I wonder how that guy and his friend/neighbor managed. The one with the truck who said he could out run a flood surge with said truck.

I also wonder about that strap house family. Wonder if the straps were put to the test.

I did read about the parrots outside that hotel window. Supposedly they are regulars there but usually on the 23rd floor. The woman on FB said they were brought in by the hotel people and the parrots do have names.. Pedro and Paco. Since I can't link moo

Oh good, there was so much reporting going on yesterday I didn't get a chance to report that the parrots needed shelter. Glad they survived!

If I find more on the house strap guy and how he weathered the storm, I'll post.

Pciture of the parrots:

441F55F600000578-4870330-image-a-19_1505059551237.jpg

Got a chuckle out of these:

Someone Tweeted that her friend was sheltering two flamingos in his laundry room.
441F55EC00000578-4870330-image-m-22_1505059797870.jpg

The Flamingos from Zoo Miami can now add an Irma picture to their hurricane collection:
4416C32800000578-0-Flamingos_take_refuge_in_a_shelter_ahead_of_the_downfall_of_Hurr-a-12_1505058586987.jpg

Mo the sloth eating an ear of corn as it is evacuated from the Monroe County Sheriff's animal farm Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, in Key West, Fla. The 250 animals from the farm were relocated to the city jail.
4418209400000578-0-Mo_the_sloth_eating_an_ear_of_corn_as_it_is_evacuated_from_the_M-a-9_1505058258456.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4870330/Flamingos-shelter-Key-West-parrots-Miami.html

Morning WSers. Hope everyone and their loved ones fared the storm as best as possible.

Any news on boatguy(s)? I'll be surprised if he survived honestly.

Thanks for posting this. So surreal to see a freezer, and a jet ski, among the tons of debris, littering the road he was driving down...

They were all pushed there by storm surge from the Atlantic side. US 1 lies in the middle of each key as you pass, the Keys are not wide at all most of the drive down you can see both the Florida Bay on the right and the Atlantic Ocean on the left.

Oh good, there was so much reporting going on yesterday I didn't get a chance to report that the parrots needed shelter. Glad they survived!

If I find more on the house strap guy and how he weathered the storm, I'll post.

Pciture of the parrots:

441F55F600000578-4870330-image-a-19_1505059551237.jpg

Got a chuckle out of these:

Someone Tweeted that her friend was sheltering two flamingos in his laundry room.
441F55EC00000578-4870330-image-m-22_1505059797870.jpg

The Flamingos from Zoo Miami can now add an Irma picture to their hurricane collection:
4416C32800000578-0-Flamingos_take_refuge_in_a_shelter_ahead_of_the_downfall_of_Hurr-a-12_1505058586987.jpg

Mo the sloth eating an ear of corn as it is evacuated from the Monroe County Sheriff's animal farm Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, in Key West, Fla. The 250 animals from the farm were relocated to the city jail.
4418209400000578-0-Mo_the_sloth_eating_an_ear_of_corn_as_it_is_evacuated_from_the_M-a-9_1505058258456.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4870330/Flamingos-shelter-Key-West-parrots-Miami.html

Mo looks pretty laid back about going to jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther