Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is the first case I have ever follow from beginning to end on WS, just wondering what happens if they find her or make an arrest? Do we continue to chat in this threat and gather facts and info as it comes or is it "case closed" on here once she is found?
If she is found it would be recategorized as "located persons" instead of "missing persons" but the thread is otherwise unchanged and open for posting. I have seen a couple threads actually closed but I think that's rare.

Sorry my phone is not good for quoting.. the above was something Grouchymom stated... Excellence in India is demanded everywhere and not just limited to Kerala.. getting into good schools is hard..suicide rates are high among young adults because of competition and demand for excellence.. orphanages are full of children with special needs.. and "othe defects".. it is a very intense culture. .

They knew she had problems when they adopted her, so I do not think that was an issue at all for the parents.

The vehicle that was missing for an hour after the 'disciplinary' action was modern enough for the on-board computer to provide details of mileage travelled. If the journey had been subversive, then IMO, the journey would have been for a practical purpose only. This range alone would give a very narrow band of potential target area within a circle.

Experienced LE would be able to limit the possibilities of a destination, which remains elusive to date.

As you see I agree with you. It alone would not be enough to meet the legal standard of continued custody, but it has to be looked at as an additional or complicating factor. Social services is supposed to be governed by one cardinal rule (the best interest of the child) but family reunification has become its mantra. The best interest of the child however usually gets lost in the system somewhere so it becomes the responsibility of the child advocate/Guardian ad Litem/CASA to speak only for the child and his/her best interest.

I want whatever is genuinely best for the sister, but I just can't imagine that a family with so many members, in so many countries, presumably with dual citizenship, wouldn't be considered a flight risk.

The court on Monday is closed to media (from what I have heard from some media sources), but I am not surprised as most family court cases are closed because the goal is to protect the identity of the child.

There are supposed to be church members going, I do not know if they are going as moral support for this girl, or if perhaps one of them has put together a custody plan asking for the child to be placed with them to get her out of a foster home and into the home of someone she knows well, if this is the case I expect a continuance as they do home studies and verify that the prospective home meets standards AND will comply with rules regarding visitation/travel/etc.

Unfortunately, things tend to take time, which can feel like an eternity, but when a child is removed because of something so serious they really do tend to treat everyone like they could also be abusive or neglectful. Meaning, even if LE tells the court that Sini is NOT a POI and they have no reason to believe she was even awake, CPS and the court will likely er on the side of caution, from the people I have seen go through this, there seems to very much be a "guilty until proven innocent" procedure when it comes to a child's safety.

As a side note, they removed a TON of wooden spoons from that home. While we have not been told why they took all the spoons, or any spoon at that, we all know that wooden spoons are often a means of discipline. If this little girl said she gets hit with the wooden spoons when she is "bad" or said something to suggest that a wooden spoon was involved when Sherin went missing, they could use her own statements as a reason to keep her in the system.

From one thing I saw it said that "The Mathews" will be in court on Monday to fight for "their" child. I assume that WM will not be there, but often times orders like "no communication with the victim or family" exclude court appearances, so WM may be there or he may just have a lawyer there on his behalf to suggest whether or not he thinks this child should be with his wife at this time. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/20/parents-missing-richardson-girl-cps/

I also read that the child was only removed from the home when WM made bond and was expected to be returning home. IF that was the reason for her removal -his being free, they could say that he has not attempted contact, is not at the home and is court ordered to stay away from SM and the victims family, and therefore the removal was unnecessary. If a judge agrees that this precautionary measure was unnecessary, Sini could have her child back early this week. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/09/search-missing-3-year-old-richardson-girl/

The new clip is 2 days old....fingers crossed that it is soon.

What interested me in this clip is that one of the FB pages dedicated to Sherin posted about Steve Eager having this announcement of a possible arrest, which is great, but none of the other MSM sources have mentioned this possibility. Maria Guerrero has been answering questions and is in direct contact with LE to get the answers and she hasn't mentioned this.

Soooo, I watched the entire recorded live stream thinking it was going to be "news" but it wasn't, he said it when he wasn't "on air" during a break as part of his FB live feed. So, basically my thought is, yes he is MSM but he reported this outside of the MSM "public' and more for his fans/followers on FB... It almost came across to me that he tipped off the FB page I initially referred to in hopes of boosting his ratings, which based on how many people have viewed this simply to hear him say one line while OFF AIR appears to be successful. I watched again last night hoping he would have an update and when someone asked I think it was around the 20 min mark, he said 'no the breaking news doesn't have to do with that case, it has to do with a shooting', there were several people watching trying to learn more on this breaking news, and once again the above FB page had said that he would be announcing this (which he didn't mention at all last night). Then, the FB page updated to say something like they had been assured by Eager that this was a real tip...

I really really hope it is real, but it just felt strange to me that Eager didn't even know how many kids had been removed from the Mathews home last night, he was discussing multiple children and seemed like he really hadn't followed the case much at all, so it seemed very strange to me that he would have possible breaking news via insider tips on a case he didn't appear close to, when there are other MSM reporters like Guerrero that are basically living and breathing this case who do have seemingly confirmed insider sources. Just my 2 cents. But, I don't think I will be watching anymore of Eager unless someone says he has reported live ON the Sherin Mathews case and not just a quick blip during his live feed reading the news commercial break...

This could act in our favor to reveal earthy remains.

Very true esp with the use of dogs! I know there is fear that evidence will be washed away, but on the upside, a more moist environment with a higher humidity (from what I recall sniffer dog handlers saying in other cases) actually makes scent trails etc be easier for the dogs to pick up on!

Since this is the first case I have ever follow from beginning to end on WS, just wondering what happens if they find her or make an arrest? Do we continue to chat in this threat and gather facts and info as it comes or is it "case closed" on here once she is found?

We will stay here :) There will be a lot to go over. Especially when she is located.

BBM.

What does everyone think will happen at Mondays court appearance? The verdict I mean. I'm not familiar with this and wondered how people think it will be played out and what the result will be.

Been around these things a bit. I suspect that CPS will report on why the child was removed, how they are doing in the current setting. Probably report on whatever homestudy work has been done, whether or not Mom has been or will be willing to steer clear of Dad, family history with CPS. Mom's attorney will ask for whatever they are asking for (return to Mom, or whatever relative they are suggesting). There has probably been ongoing convo (or will be in the hallway before the hearing) between the reps of both family and CPS in order to arrive ahead of time at some mutual understanding/agreement. So, in essence they are likely to go before the judge with something that both agree to. If they do not agree, the Judge will likely make some requests (more info, prescribed counseling or other requirements) to fulfill before the next hearing. IMO, I don't see a full return of custody. Perhaps moving to someone known to the child with approval of CPS. And likely some supervised visitation.

Been around these things a bit. I suspect that CPS will report on why the child was removed, how they are doing in the current setting. Probably report on whatever homestudy work has been done, whether or not Mom has been or will be willing to steer clear of Dad, family history with CPS. Mom's attorney will ask for whatever they are asking for (return to Mom, or whatever relative they are suggesting). There has probably been ongoing convo (or will be in the hallway before the hearing) between the reps of both family and CPS in order to arrive ahead of time at some mutual understanding/agreement. So, in essence they are likely to go before the judge with something that both agree to. If they do not agree, the Judge will likely make some requests (more info, prescribed counseling or other requirements) to fulfill before the next hearing. IMO, I don't see a full return of custody. Perhaps moving to someone known to the child with approval of CPS. And likely some supervised visitation.

:tyou: Margo. I was unsure on the process with this. This helps.

Great local news source, Dallas Observer, on little Sherin's disappearance. It mentions that Mansfield police assisting in search, and that still puzzles me. Even if they simply need extra manpower, Richardson has no geographic correlation with Mansfield. - JMO

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/3-year-old-richardson-girl-still-missing-12-days-later-9989201

"Suspicion among the volunteers has fallen on the family. “They’re suspecting the father, and I’m not going to say it, but a lot of you all can read between the lines,” a Dallas County deputy said on his Facebook page, The Everyday Life of Deputy Bryan Woodard. "

Great local news source, Dallas Observer, on little Sherin's disappearance. It mentions that Mansfield police assisting in search, and that still puzzles me. Even if they simply need extra manpower, Richardson has no geographic correlation with Mansfield. - JMO

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/3-year-old-richardson-girl-still-missing-12-days-later-9989201

"Suspicion among the volunteers has fallen on the family. “They’re suspecting the father, and I’m not going to say it, but a lot of you all can read between the lines,” a Dallas County deputy said on his Facebook page, The Everyday Life of Deputy Bryan Woodard. "

Mansfield was helping the other day, according to the quick update Richardson PD gave at the search sites, because they had the drones and the people who operate them. It sounded to me like Mansfield wouldn't have been called in at all if RPD had their own.

It could be the case that a family from their church who is a certified foster care giver will try to have her placed with them.

ETA I was shocked to learn via FB recently that a high school acquaintance of mine had her children removed by CPS here in Virginia for “lack of supervision” and they sent the children to a very distant family member in Florida who they had never met because they were already foster parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be the case that a family from their church who is a certified foster care giver will try to have her placed with them.

ETA I was shocked to learn via FB recently that a high school acquaintance of mine had her children removed by CPS here in Virginia for “lack of supervision” and they sent the children to a very distant family member in Florida who they had never met because they were already foster parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked for CPS as a brand new social worker and there was always a push to place kids with family no matter how distant because the state doesn't have to pay family to care for a child like they do a foster parent. However in Sherin's sisters case I imagine they will be as conservative as possible when considering where to place her since this is a high profile case.

You will see alot of activity here. I just hope it does not take yrs for justice to be served.

@Grouchymom what a terrifying experience! So glad she's ok!!

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

I have debated if I was willing to share this here but I feel as I must. This week I have developed a huge amount of empathy for the mom. I was quick to judge on too little info.

You see see day before yesterday morning we had a bit of drama her in my home. Some of you have seen me mention my 11 yr old daughter who is autistic and developmentally delayed. Well, my husband left for work at 6:15 Wed morning and Katie and I were still asleep. I had been up with her for her nightly wake up from around 3-5. The best I can tell she must have awakened shortly after he left. She has become quite stealthy of late but this time topped the cake. She managed to get out of the house and wandered off. (We have her twin bed between his bed and my hospital bed to prevent her getting up unsupervised) Not before evidently rolling in the wet grass in 50 degree weather. She was found at a restaurant nearby and the man mowing the lawn there called the police. She was able to tell the police her name but that was all except when he asked where she lived she said North.( I am assuming the North Pole) So after driving her around and she couldn’t identify a house he took her to the local emergency room. Some how police dispatch was able to match her to my husbands cell number (I will never guess how) and called him at work. He tried to call me but she had turned the ringer off on my phone. So at 8 am he runs into the house a wakes me up to tell me she is at the hospital. I knew it would waste valuable time if I tried to get dressed and him help me get to the car with my wheelchair so I just told him to go. I knew what he would be facing when he got there and it wasn’t going to be pretty. At first the police and Doctor tried to claim that she had been out all night because she was in her nightgown(at 8 in the morning). Then they wouldn’t let him see her until DSS/DHS arrived. The police interrogated him then DSS took their turn. Then the police came her to interrogate me and then swapped places with DSS. They kept telling him she wasn’t coming home with him. They started telling me if she was allowed to come home there would be requirements we would have to agree to. I home school her for several reasons and am licensed through the state as a school. The said I would have to put her in public school. Then asked if I would refuse to put her in public school. Of course I responded that if it was the only way I could get her home I would enroll her but, if it was my choice as was my legal right as her parent I would continue homeschooling. Duh.

Once she she left I called my husband back at the hospital and he was finally with our daughter. We sat spastically for the hour or two and waited, At nearly 3 pm he called me and said they were on their way home together. Just before leaving the police told him he had originally intended to arrest him. With no stipulations except to add another lock to the 2 already on the door she escaped through. At that point I was ready to put a stockade bar across the door anyway. Today the social worker just popped in unannounced to check for the new lock (which was on the door within an hour of her arrival home.)

So as long as the mom is not a poi with LE she has my empathy. I had a reminder of just how quickly things can go south. Perhaps they were like my husband and I when he has two days off in a row I take a sleeping pill and he does the night shift with her. That way I can catch up on my rest from being up with her every night for the 3 am party. We have medicated her and nothing stops the 3 am party.

90% of autistic children bolt at least once but until it happens you believe it won’t happen to you. As many safeguards as we had in place it still happened and I was terrified. I still am. How easily it could have been much worse. How easily they could have taken her away. She was close to traffic when she was found. It could have been deadly. I know haw serious it was. I am now afraid to sleep. She thinks she had a grande adventure. She rode in a police car, they gave her toys at the hospital and everyone made over her like a little princess she has no concept of the danger. I do

Thank you for sharing.

They knew she had problems when they adopted her, so I do not think that was an issue at all for the parents.

Knowing a child has special needs and living with/raising that child is very different

Knowing a child has special needs and living with/raising that child is very different

Not only that, but when you get a child from an orphanage you often don't have a concrete diagnosis. A family vlogger I follow is adopting from China right now and they were told that their son has disabilities, they just picked him up and even through the past year of reports and all of that they were never given a specific diagnosis. He looks healthy etc but they said straight up they will have to have him properly assessed and diagnosed once back (they knew before they adopted) so they can help him the best they can. I think its great they are going into this with as much knowledge as they could get, but TBH it really wasn't very much... When I think of Sherin I think it could have been quite similar or may still be as to my knowledge they haven't actually said what her developmental disability is. Even on the Amber Alert they said she had developmental disabilities and was behind verbally, but they didn't say "An Autistic child" or "A child with down syndrome" etc, they just said she had something, which could be anything... at that age my son was diagnosed with ADHD, back 10 years our dr considered it a developmental disability, even though he was actually advanced... I wonder if perhaps they adopted Sherin thinking her "disability" was "failure to thrive" and completely "fixable" in that "we have food and money, we will get her the best doctors and make sure she has good food and she will be perfectly fine" only to realize that her being malnourished was only a part of the diagnosis...

We have no evidence of what actually transpired that night but this is a theory that has been rattling around in my head.

I have wondered if whatever happened in the wee hours of that fateful morning didn’t start with a bed wetting incident. That would account for 3 am laundry and the pimk t-shirt, pink fitted sheet and pink blanket taken with the search warrant. While stripping the bed she may have wanted a drink then refused the “milk” perhaps he thought about sending her to the tree while he re-made the bed but things escalated. Maybe he did send her to the tree and after making the bed he brought her in to strip her urine soaked pj’s. Perhaps giving her a quick bath. Maybe she spilled the milk or poured it in the floor during the refusal. Absolutely normal things that go on with a 3 year old but magnified by the time of day and her being limited verbally. Dad was tired and frustrated and not happy it was his turn on the night duty.

I know some nights I am so exhausted I have literally begged my Katie to go back to sleep. He worked in IT at the Citi Group and IT work is precise, exact logical and methodical. Raising children especially those with special needs are not. They don’t follow the developmental schedule. Or the parents schedule. Whereas I believe the older girl progressed on or before the average times. Special needs children can be much more negotiation than expectation, small victories instead of celebrated goals. Since my Katie’s adventure she has wet the bed every night. With special needs children it is easy to regress from time to time due to stress or sometimes the reason isn’t apparent. It can be frustrating and heartbreaking and in our case it is easy to forget how delayed she really is until we are around other children her age or developmental level.

With Sherin the 4 year old was a daily reminder of her issues. In Kerala where the Dad is from and some have said the mom is also there is a 100% literacy. It is an area we’re excellence is not only expected demanded. They have a larger percentage of professionals than many other areas of India. That has to play into the parents expectations for Sherin. Even small delays could seem huge. Dad could take those delays as his own personal failure. I am not trying to justify what happened to this sweet baby and worse what we believe happened. I am trying to find something that might explain how it went so far.

JMHO and Theory of the moment.

I’m sorry you experienced this. Have you considered a security system? If money is an issue, the big box home improvement stores sell inexpensive, magnetic door alarms. I mounted them up high. You can set them to chime when the magnetic seal is broken (aka door open), to deathly screech, to off.

I have a sleep walker and the alarm is a Godsend. If your mobility is an issue, is there a neighbor you can call in the event the alarm goes off? Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase