UK - Actor Kevin Spacey accused of making sexual advances, 12 charges against 4 boys *acquitted in 2023*

Only because I am too sick to get to my computer and give time outs is why some posters can continue on this thread.

If your post contains the word "you" or the phrase " I think you" or any other possible way in the English language you can turn your post away from the topic and put the attention on a fellow poster DO NOT POST IT ON THIS THREAD.

Keep on topic.

If I actually have to get out of bed to get on my computer to deal with someone posting in a way that violate our terms of service I will change Websleuths into a forum about advanced Mandarin Chinese Language studies.

I say this with love in my heart,
Tricia

There actually is more to say because the problem still exists in Hollywood and elsewhere.

But this thread is about KEVIN SPACEY not a general thread about Hollywood and elsewhere. Can we keep it on track please?

We have several sexual harassment threads and all of them are now ending up soapboxes for everyone’s agendas, arguments and opinions on harassment in general. (I’m guilty too, but realized it’s getting ridiculous in here. You’re all just going round and round.)

This thread reminds me of how a thread about a mass shooter always ends up full of people arguing about gun control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposite side of the coin is whether careers were made because the predatory sexual behavior was not reported? Everyone is tiptoeing around this because it could be interpreted as victims' compliance in exchange for favours - not always money, but a recommendation, introduction, or party favor.

I do believe that this could be part of it. I mean, I nearly starved to death in the early 80s, zero work here, thank God there was work in tobacco, but I digress...but If someone had asked me for sex, in return for a job, I'd have thought they were insane (and that was the 80s). If they complied, for a roll, it's the old time "Casting Couch" still in play, if I understand you correctly.

I agree, and personally I understand not reporting something. I am currently trying to write about something that happened to me, and it's always in the back of my mind that people will question why I didn't report it at the time, and question why I got myself into that situation to begin with. I actually told no one, and as an adult I have often wondered if this person did anything to anyone else afterwards that may have been prevented if I had reported it. Those thoughts increase the feelings of guilt in victims. It's a never ending cycle of guilt, unfortunately, even when you would not have blamed someone else in your very situation. Comments like some have made in this forum only add to the frustration and stress a victim feels.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
:goodpost:

You can not assert that the first step in healing is reporting. If you were a survivor, that may be true for you. But, that is not the case for all survivors. If they are still at risk, it may be better to be silent and survive. If they do not believe they will have an adequate support system, it may be better to remain silent until they can get what they need. Each person's journey is uniquely their own, which indicates that there may be a no win situation for some. You can assert that it is not a no-win situation but you cannot guarantee it, even if you wanted to do so. It is not knowable.

This is very true.

Back to Spacey, I wonder if the employees at HOC will pursue criminal or civil remedies for what they accuse Spacey of? Some of the allegations definitely are in the files of HOC and the production company. My stomach turned as I read this article from the Atlantic (https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...npacking-the-kevin-spacey-allegations/544685/).

I found this interesting:

The numbers: “26 percent of gay men and 37 percent of bisexual men experience rape, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner, compared to 29 percent of heterosexual men. … 40 percent of gay men and 47 percent of bisexual men have experienced sexual violence other than rape, compared to 21 percent of heterosexual men.”

How does this become changed? I worked for an organization that ran a spouse abuse shelter, hidden, in the hills. On occasion we had to assist a male. The home was only for females and children, but, they'd work to get them in a safe place. I know everyone says "more reporting", but some of these men may never have even "came out".

Kevin Spacey's foundation---it has not been noted in any MSM if there are corporate oversight investigations into charities and programs that Spacey is linked to. I found this about the foundation's disabling social media. I hope they are looking into any issues that might have been at play among these young actors/actresses/

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/03/kevin-spacey-foundation-goes-dark-amid-sexual-misconduct-claims/

“The nonprofit foundation, which Spacey founded in London in 2010, later expanded to the US. Its mission was to provide mentorship and grant opportunities to “school children, young people and emerging artists in the performing arts and film.”

Seems like the perfect playground for KS. Yikes.

“The nonprofit foundation, which Spacey founded in London in 2010, later expanded to the US. Its mission was to provide mentorship and grant opportunities to “school children, young people and emerging artists in the performing arts and film.”

Seems like the perfect playground for KS. Yikes.

Yes, indeed. Besides taking down the social media, I wonder what is happening and if there have been any allegations to date. I feel bad for these aspiring actors as they have spent time and money with this foundation. It will likely be a resume nightmare as the students will have automatic questions by anyone who reads the credentials from the foundation.

topic= Kevin Spacey accused of making a sexual advance to a 14 year old boy
Please stay on topic...

I read through the allegations against Spacey yesterday and, although there is abuse of power and sexual harassment, I didn't see anything that would definitely lead to criminal charges. One of the problems will be that victims did not say no, not even the son of Dreyfuss. When all is said and done, if there are no criminal charges, what happens next? Does it mean that Spacey did nothing wrong and should be compensated, or does it mean that he should suffer consequences even if he did nothing wrong according to law?

Please stay on topic...

Can we discuss things like the Spacey Foundation or is this just for the one allegation? I want to make sure that I don't run afoul. TIA.

Can we discuss things like the Spacey Foundation or is this just for the one allegation? I want to make sure that I don't run afoul. TIA.

Yes you can discuss the Spacey Foundation. :tyou:

This originated with the allegation that thirty years ago a drunk Spacey lay on top of a fourteen year old boy at a party. That is not a criminal offense. Could this be a situation where a man who is nearly sixty years old, who grew up in a sexually abusive home and who has for decades been enabled in his sexually aggressive behavior, needs sensitivity training and education about new behaviors that reflect new social norms?

In the last five or ten years, we've seen people in authority from all walks of life who needed to relearn socially appropriate behaviors. Even Trump needs to learn new behaviors regarding sexually inappropriate remarks and attitudes towards women. What is the best approach to educating an entire generation of men who were enabled for decades and who now need to learn to respect others regardless of position, gender, and presentation?

Please stay on topic...

Thank you! I appreciate you and Tricia keeping this thread on track.

I read through the allegations against Spacey yesterday and, although there is abuse of power and sexual harassment, I didn't see anything that would definitely lead to criminal charges. One of the problems will be that victims did not say no, not even the son of Dreyfuss. When all is said and done, if there are no criminal charges, what happens next? Does it mean that Spacey did nothing wrong and should be compensated, or does it mean that he should suffer consequences even if he did nothing wrong according to law?

The only one that I saw, that he could be potentially charged for is the 23 y/o British actor, who woke up, after they'd blazed one together, to find KS performing oral sex on him. That's been nine years ago. As OP stated on one of these threads, as years go by, time takes a toll on memory. Also, will this man want to come out in public and go through a trial? I would not. That's just me though.

There actually is more to say because the problem still exists in Hollywood and elsewhere. As a society, we need to talk about why, and what can be done about it. The public has a responsibility to learn from these events and figure out how to make it less likely this will happen in the future. Part of that is discussing how we react to the victims when they come forward. The general public is part of the problem because they often end up victimizing the survivors further.

Last year after another highly publicized rape, I asked a general question of parents on my Facebook page: "Have any of you discussed what rape is, and that no means no every time?" Because most people talk to their daughters about safety, while fewer parents talk to their sons about what date rape and harassment are. The responsibility has largely been on the girls to avoid rape. (I do realize this is not a strictly male/female thing here, but that was the topic at the time.) This began a discussion among my friends - how and when to do it. It was quite uplifting, and I think they helped each other as parents.

That's just one small thing that can be done. But there is lots of work to be done, and we should all be engaging in that conversation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One thing that I see changing, my parents never did this, but some did, is making little ones give hugs to friends and family members. We do kinda nudge them into family photos...but no forced hugs. If they don't want a hug, or don't want to give a hug, that's their choice. It's on a level that a young child can grasp, that they don't have to accept unwanted physical attention (it's not about not loving your family, even married folks don't always want to be hugged on). However, in some of these situations, there was no, "no". I think that when it happens people are kinda shocked, and unsure how to react, if it happens within a family, you risk ripping your family to shreds. It's a very difficult topic.

The only one that I saw, that he could be potentially charged for is the 23 y/o British actor, who woke up, after they'd blazed one together, to find KS performing oral sex on him. That's been nine years ago. As OP stated on one of these threads, as years go by, time takes a toll on memory. Also, will this man want to come out in public and go through a trial? I would not. That's just me though.

Something from nine years ago where they were both three sheets to the wind, and with no evidence other than he said he said, is unlikely to be prosecuted.

I posted a link to psychology today about how memory and the feelings associated with an event both change over time. If that information is in psych today, there are probably numerous experts prepared to testify to how memory shifts over time.

If this is about bad behavior, is that justification for job loss? Isn't society's response to this to first provide education? What sort of education/training is available regarding gay sexual harassment in the workplace?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back