Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
if CPS cant prove it then they either close unfounded or they do investigation and then offer services.

we couldn't prove that mom tried to punch step son in the face and allowed her bf to bully him but they were concerned so they referred her to 6 months of a therapist snooping around her house for "family sessions".

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if an older sibling reported the SA of a 3yr old sibling - say to a teacher? Does duty to report have the teacher contacting the police or child services (or both?). And then what happens? If physical evidence of that abuse isn’t present? I’ve always understood the burden of proof to be with the prosecution - but what about cases like this?

(This is very, very o/t, but wanted to share with you guys since we are of like minds as far as our passion for these victims and interest in these cases here goes.

Last night I was watching an old episode of Forensic Files and the case featured was about a 11 year old boy named Christopher Wood. He was murdered by his biological father for the $80,000 life insurance. They were able to nail the father because they found small spots of Christopher's vomit...the grains in his breakfast cereal were analyzed under a microscope and this was important to the case, hence the name of the episode "Cereal Killing".

Eta, found an old link from 1999:

Did Boy Pay Deadly Price For Father's Debts? -- Money Mattered Most To Man Accused Of Killing Son For Insurance, Accusers Say
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990309&slug=2948477 )

I remembered this case! I was curious of the outcome, did a quick search & found this article where dad committed suicide :(

Link to article

And she didn't get along with AW's girlfriend and assaulted her. She sounds like she has her own serious anger management issues. If that's the case KW could very well be the abuser rather than the victim and she hooked up with a fellow abuser.

I tried to read these hand-written documents and am having trouble. It appears to say that AW was the father to the two younger children and that the oldest had been a victim of sexual assault. And wasn't supposed to be around the younger children and that's why the two youngest were temporarily removed from KW's care and given to their dad. If that is true, then why on earth would CPS put them back with her? Why wasn't the perp arrested and charged. If that is what has happened in this case, CPS does have some explaining to do.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local...s-sexually-abused-by-moms-boyfriend/496965834

Where do you see handwritten documents?

These documents state that AW's gf attacked KW in front of the 2 younger kids and that AW refused to return the children to KW after normal visitation. KW was awarded temp physical custody at this time.
And she didn't get along with AW's girlfriend and assaulted her. She sounds like she has her own serious anger management issues. If that's the case KW could very well be the abuser rather than the victim and she hooked up with a fellow abuser.

I tried to read these hand-written documents and am having trouble. It appears to say that AW was the father to the two younger children and that the oldest had been a victim of sexual assault. And wasn't supposed to be around the younger children and that's why the two youngest were temporarily removed from KW's care and given to their dad. If that is true, then why on earth would CPS put them back with her? Why wasn't the perp arrested and charged. If that is what has happened in this case, CPS does have some explaining to do.

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local...s-sexually-abused-by-moms-boyfriend/496965834

I read these. I don't understand why the older child couldn't be around the other two. And, where in the world did these docs come from?

In regards to the trailer:

It looks older, growing up I lived in probably 6 or 7 older trailers been in numerous others. I've never been in one where all the bedrooms have been grouped together at one end of the hall. The master bedroom has always been on one end and the other bedrooms at the other end and have always had two bathrooms, one for the master and one for the rest. These have been single wides and were older even in the 90's. Usually you walk into the living room, there was also usually a back door in the kitchen.

Wait... my grandma lives in a double wide that had both the master and the other bedroom at both ends. But she also lives in a retirement village, it's also a older trailer.

Relatives of mine lived in a single wide all my growing up years and it was like you described. Walk into the living room, master bed to right with bathroom attached, kitchen to left, then a hallway with another bath and small bedroom on the back side of the trailer and the 3rd bedroom at the end of the trailer.

This as a CPS case, why didn't he have the rights to visitation? I wasn't thinking of changing custody, but his right to see to them. If he had visitation, it should have been enforced without having to go to court with an attorney. I'm sorry, but I think dad dropped the ball on these children also.

The CPS case closed. As to the rest, this is not. true.

It's an assumption that you can enforce cusrody orders without court help.

these look like supplemental documents the bio dad submitted with a motion to the court - an ex-parte emergency custody motion. Apparently the older child had been SA'd and was not to be around younger kids without supervision.
I read these. I don't understand why the older child couldn't be around the other two. And, where in the world did these docs come from?

I get the impression that a lot of the happy photos were taken at grandma's house.

Which was likely another great option KW had for the care of her kids instead of letting a psychopath around them.

These documents state that AW's gf attacked KW in front of the 2 younger kids and that AW refused to return the children to KW after normal visitation. KW was awarded temp physical custody at this time.

I read it differently. It said to me, that KW attacked AW's girlfriend at AW's house.

That's nice and all but she wasn't abiding by it. And in the majority of cases when parents contact the police the police hand them a violation report and then refer them to court saying it is a civil matter.

In my state, the next steps would either be a complex motion for contempt, a complex motion for monestary sanctions under an obscure code section that even many attorney don't know about or a reques to change custody which involves multiple court dates and time off work. This dude was living paycheck to paycheck from what I can infer. Probably paying court ordered child support too. I doubt he could afford the time off. I doubt he knew where to start. I doubt he felt he had a chance anyhow. After all, he probably though the custody was a slam dunk due to the abuse allegations. But they reunified with mom.

I can see clearly what happened here by reading between the lines. Just like I immediately read between the lines in the Maddie Jones/baby William case. Many insisted dad was creepy, did something to mom or made her flee to protect the child. But I was certain that wasn't the case because the facts seemed very familiar to me. I see this stuff in my practice. They do here too.

What I do not understand in this case is why Dad's girlfriend didn't show up for court after KW assaulted her. CPS would have to take that seriously because they previously removed the children from her care. And CPS needs to complete an immediate assessment of AW's home so that he can regain custody of his son. It sounds like he tried to gain custody of both boys on Dec. 1 and the Court refused. And because his son doesn't like his girlfriend, perhaps moving her out of the home should be considered.

these look like supplemental documents the bio dad submitted with a motion to the court. Apparently the older child had been SA'd and was not to be around younger kids without supervision.

But why not?

Snip

Woods said he photographed some of the paperwork CPS gave him on Friday in regards to his two sons, 5 and 10 years old, and sent it to HLN television. On Tuesday morning, Woods allowed The Daily News to photograph and review the paperwork as well. The Onslow County Department of Social Services would not verify the documents because it is a juvenile case, which is also sealed at the Onslow County Court house.

The document is a juvenile summons and notice of hearing and notes that the two boys have been placed in DSS custody temporarily. Woods and his ex-wife, Kristy, are scheduled to be in court over the custody of the boys Friday morning.

At the hearing, if the court determines that the allegations of abuse are true then there will be another hearing to consider the needs of the children in order to determine the best course of action for the boys.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171205/mariahs-father-speaks-on-cps-documents-memories-of-his-daughter

Notes from Ashleigh Banfield's show on HLN at 7:00 pm tonight. (East coast time) Lead story in second hour of her show.

She was wearing clothing when she was found. (No details on what.)
Sheriff believes they know what happened.
Interviewed sheriff for an hour and he is being very tight lipped. Very measured in his words.
When asked about murder charges against EK, the sheriff said 'it's an ongoing investigation and I can't predict the future.
There is a lot of evidence.
They found a lot of evidence near where she was located.
Sheriff wants the public to be patient. It will all come out in the future.
When asked what he thought about KH's tv interview the sheriff was very guarded and said he can't get into her mind to know what is causing her emotions.
When asked if there was visible signs of trauma when she was found, he said that will come out in the autopsy reports.
Same with how long she was in the water- will be in the autopsy report.

Snip

The documents

The unverified documents dated Dec. 1 and released by Woods and Craft are reports after interviews done with Mariah’s two young brothers who, due to their ages, will not be named.

According to the document, the court believes there is a reasonable basis to believe that the boys have been exposed to “a substantial risk of physical injury or sexual abuse because of the parent, guardian, custodian, or caretaker has created conditions likely to cause injury or abuse or has failed to provide, or is unable to provide, adequate supervision or protection.”

“The respondent parents have a history of exposing the juveniles to adult situations and conversation during their ongoing custody battle,” according to the documents.

The documents also mention a history of altercations between Craft and Kristy Woods. Craft said Kristy Woods allegedly tried to run her over in front of the children.

According to public records, Woods was charged with misdemeanor simple assault and misdemeanor communicating threats in May 2016, but the charges were dismissed in July 2016 when Craft did not appear in court, according to Onslow County clerks.

Craft said she’d broken her ankle and didn’t make it to court in time and that calls to court to explain the situation had not been passed on to the courtroom, so by the time she arrived the case had been dismissed.

There have been several response calls involving the adults in Mariah’s life from the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office, reports of which were gathered by The Daily News.

<modsnip>

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171205/mariahs-father-speaks-on-cps-documents-memories-of-his-daughter

No, they state that KW assaulted the gf. It is KW who was denying visitation, not the other way around.

the court docs say one things and AW wrote rebuttals that disagree with the court's findings and KW's claims. AW did acknowledge that the older child was not safe to have around the younger children. AW claims KW refused him visitation bc he had a gf. Its a lot of he said-she said, but the fact is that the older boy was assaulted by EK prior to the weekend of Mariah's death and social services was involved, and that he was also SA'd to the point of needing to be kept away from younger children without supervision.
This temp parenting order is from June 2016, and AW states that the two younger children had already been removed from KW bc it was unsafe for them to be around the oldest child. Is this the only time the kids were removed from KW?

I read it differently. It said to me, that KW attacked AW's girlfriend at AW's house.

As a side note, I had finally found a medication that helps me sleep after years of trying at least a half dozen prescriptions that all failed, and I've been sleeping like a baby every night since then, until last night, probably due to the CPS report and the discussion here.

So I'm not going to leave this conversation at all, but I am going to leave it every night, no matter what a couple of hours before bed so that this is not the last thing on my mind before I close my eyes.

I know some of you also said you slept poorly last night. I suggest that if you did, you also fill the last hour or so tonight with a book or something. Give yourself and your psyche a break.

And maybe, if Mariah is causing you a lot of pain, think about something positive you can do in her honor. Maybe go shopping for a kid on one of the angel trees, or take a stack of winter hats and gloves to your local school. The nurses and social workers there always know of kids in need. Some bus drivers also keep a stack of winter items with them that they buy themselves to give to kids who show up without proper winter wear. So dropping things like that off at a bus garage is another idea.

Anyway, I usually try to figure out a way to do something positive with negative feelings and grief. (It's actually how I ended up in animal rescue.)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Reading behind, but I couldn't let this pass without commenting. Amazing suggestions![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members