Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, most people forget that email was being widely used 25 years ago when Barry would have been fifty.

No one said he didn’t use email or wasn’t technologically savvy. The original point was he, like many successful older businessmen, may have preferred a more personal approach when possible.

I know. And they paid directly to the Ministry of Finance and the City of Toronto. Liberal gvt. and Mayor John Tory.

That’s where the money goes on any sale/purchase.

The $0 transfer is done to obfuscate the actual price. As for a capital gain it is likely exempt anyway. If not, they would pay in the actual amount. The transfer was done this way for privacy, not for tax avoidance or evasion.

It’s not about the fob, it’s about the key. Keyless start only became available in the last few years. Honey would have had a key which could have been taken (which was the point of the original comment).

Mercedes introduced the first keyless start in 1998.

It was internal email to someone lower than him in rank. It hardly requires an emotional artisanal touch.

And my original comment was asking how often he used email. I never claimed he didn’t use it as all. The question was if an 8:30pm email was normal or not. Btw, I argued it would have been.

<modsnip>

Ever been a CEO?

I&#8217;ve been managing partner of a decent sized law firm.

Not it sure why my qualifications are relevant when you are trying to tell us in 2017 that email is not standard business practice and that colleagues need constant stroking through phone calls.

I&#8217;ve been managing partner of a decent sized law firm.

Not it sure why my qualifications are relevant when you are trying to tell us in 2017 that email is not standard business practice and that colleagues need constant stroking through phone calls.

Where did I say that? Quote please, not extrapolation.

Except it has been said several times they drove older cars.

And they did not seem to be very " high tech " like many seniors that age. This is not to disparage them in any way. It is just an attitude and lifestyle choice of many in that age group. Their alarm system seems to have been basic, and older. IMO

Looks like a camera on the left side of their porch roof

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...aw3xb4Qcn1zJPEuWEII3A5W9&ust=1514585583409076
barry%20sherman%20toronto%20house.jpg

Could be just metal flashing where the entranceway roof abuts the exterior concrete...can see water stains below...

That&#8217;s where the money goes on any sale/purchase.

The $0 transfer is done to obfuscate the actual price. As for a capital gain it is likely exempt anyway. If not, they would pay in the actual amount. The transfer was done this way for privacy, not for tax avoidance or evasion.

I think the estate of the late Green couple (whomever died last) would have to pay the capital gains. The Shermans, once in the house would be using it as their marital home (I presume) but there is always a Capital Gains Tax for someone to pay. We love our taxes.

I hope they didn't avoid it, or if they did.....wish I knew how.

Must not have been anything alarming in the e-mail as if there was you'd think the CEO would have done a well fare check on him the next day when he didn't show up for work. Hmmm

Wasn't the court decision Wednesday?
Probably just checking in...

EDIT: Court decision was Thursday:

"The Apotex appeal was dismissed with costs on Thursday the 14th.

Apotex Inc v Canada (Minister of Health) (SCC Docket: 37593)
Date of decision: December 14, 2017 "

And they did not seem to be very " high tech " like many seniors that age. This is not to disparage them in any way. It is just an attitude and lifestyle choice of many in that age group. Their alarm system seems to have been basic, and older. IMO

I believe they didn't have an alarm system. Toronto Star article. Remember, BS was frugal and alarm systems can be fairly expensive.

That is the problem with that source. It's a satire magazine and not MSM. I think the winter coats and boots comment is meant to be a joke.

BBM

Other MSM reported jackets which to me would be something made of lighter material, like a windbreaker or hoodie or if there really was a business meeting then suit jacket.

A slight change in topic, but I am wondering if Honey had a personal secretary? She had a lot of fundraisers and engagements and apparently many appointments to raise money. I would think she would have needed a personal secretary to keep up with it all.

If she did have one, wouldn't that personal secretary think it odd not to hear from Honey in over a day?

JMO

When will the Order of Canada awards be announced.. In our country it&#8217;s New Year&#8217;s Day.
Can they be awarded posthumously?
Bit of a dilemma for the organising committee at this point.
Will the family complain if he doesn&#8217;t even get a mention.
I thought the media would follow up on this angle.

No posthumous appointments:

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=14944&lan=eng

Nomination
Any Canadian is welcome to nominate a deserving individual as a candidate for appointment to the Order of Canada.

Who is eligible?

All living Canadians are eligible for the Order of Canada, with the exception of federal and provincial politicians and judges while in office. Non-Canadians can be considered for &#8220;honorary&#8221; appointments if they have made a sustained and exceptional contribution to Canada. Members of the Royal Family can hold &#8220;extraordinary&#8221; appointments. There are no posthumous appointments. [...]
New appointments to the Order of Canada are announced on January 1 and July 1 each year. [...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24