Found Deceased Germany - Liam Colgan, 29, Scottish tourist, Hamburg, 10 Feb 2018

This whole intoxication and water thing has me fascinated. I just can't understand it. I wonder how many women have drowned after leaving a bar intoxicated... Is it really as simple as men falling in the water while relieving themselves? So bizarre.. :thinking: Its almost an epidemic.

I know, I can't think of any cases off the top of my head of women drowning under such circumstances. I know the couple of times I have been seriously inebriated I either felt extremely sick, or actually couldn't walk properly. Luckily I was with friends both times, especially luckily when they helped me get up 3 flights of stairs to get home. But at no time did it really affect the way I was thinking or perceived things or dangers.

I think my body, unaccustomed to alcohol, just wouldn't physically let me consume the amounts that would get me to that state. And although some young women today seem to drink vastly more than my generation, it's a fact that most females generally probably couldn't tolerate the amounts men drink. And I think we all react to various substances differently. I also think it's a confidence thing, most women/girls will gravitate towards their friends whereas men think, no, I'll try and get somewhere.

My ex (English), when stationed in the army in Germany, near Hanover, used to regularly go out drinking heavily with army friends, get split up somehow with them and end up walking miles and miles home on his own in an area he had no knowledge of, very drunk (would ring me to tell me how he was getting on). When Corrie McKeague went missing , it reminded me very much of what could have happened to him.

There is a condition called (post) - micturition syncope, fainting after urination due to a sudden loss of blood pressure, although usually seen in older men, obviously more of a problem because if male you will likely be standing, not sitting/squatting. But a lot of alcohol and possibly emitting a large volume of urine (which is likely in these situations) is not going to help. I just wish in general people would be more wary of alcohol, it can make you so vulnerable to all sorts of bad occurrences. It's a really severe problem amongst young people in Britain now.

I know, I can't think of any cases off the top of my head of women drowning under such circumstances. I know the couple of times I have been seriously inebriated I either felt extremely sick, or actually couldn't walk properly. Luckily I was with friends both times, especially luckily when they helped me get up 3 flights of stairs to get home. But at no time did it really affect the way I was thinking or perceived things or dangers.

I think my body, unaccustomed to alcohol, just wouldn't physically let me consume the amounts that would get me to that state. And although some young women today seem to drink vastly more than my generation, it's a fact that most females generally probably couldn't tolerate the amounts men drink. And I think we all react to various substances differently. I also think it's a confidence thing, most women/girls will gravitate towards their friends whereas men think, no, I'll try and get somewhere.

My ex (English), when stationed in the army in Germany, near Hanover, used to regularly go out drinking heavily with army friends, get split up somehow with them and end up walking miles and miles home on his own in an area he had no knowledge of, very drunk (would ring me to tell me how he was getting on). When Corrie McKeague went missing , it reminded me very much of what could have happened to him.

There is a condition called (post) - micturition syncope, fainting after urination due to a sudden loss of blood pressure, although usually seen in older men, obviously more of a problem because if male you will likely be standing, not sitting/squatting. But a lot of alcohol and possibly emitting a large volume of urine (which is likely in these situations) is not going to help. I just wish in general people would be more wary of alcohol, it can make you so vulnerable to all sorts of bad occurrences. It's a really severe problem amongst young people in Britain now.

BBM
There was the case of Megan Roberts who was out drinking with friends in York, UK and was later found in the river.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11134449/Student-Megan-Roberts-drowned-in-river-after-drinking-games.html

There was a thread for her on Websleuths at the time, but I can't seem to find it. It may have been deleted for some reason.
I did find the Media-Timeline thread:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?234101-UK-Megan-Roberts-20-York-23-Jan-2014-Media-Timeline

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43096422
Friend Alan Pearson told BBC Breakfast that Hamburg police did not appear to treat Mr Colgan's disappearance seriously when it was first reported.

And he claimed that vital CCTV footage cannot be accessed "because the bar manager has forgotten the password".

Mr Pearson, who was part of the group in Hamburg, said that was very out-of-character.

"He's not the type of guy who stays out all night partying," he said.

Mr Pearson said Eamonn was using his experience as a police officer to push the hunt for Mr Colgan.

"Eamonn is living and breathing this 24 hours a day," he said.

"With his knowledge as a police officer, he's asking the right questions. He's asking the questions why some of the CCTV hadn't been reviewed until Thursday this week.

"We understand that the CCTV from the bar can't be reviewed because the manager can't remember the password.

"So he is trying to force the issue with some of these things and make sure the right lines of inquiry are being taken."

I backpacked around Europe a while back. I took trains everywhere. If he was in a state of confusion he could have hopped on a train and been in Italy in a matter of hours. So, the search area could be huge! I skimmed through this case. Does it mention anywhere if he had his passport with him?

He would need his passport to re-enter the UK which is outside of the Schengen Zone, but once within the Zone, which most of mainland Europe is, you can travel without needing to show any ID at the borders because the borders don't really exist now.

He would need his passport to re-enter the UK which is outside of the Schengen Zone, but once within the Zone, which most of mainland Europe is, you can travel without needing to show any ID at the borders because the borders don't really exist now.

Ah, I see the question is whether he had his passport on him when he went out that evening (or whether he would have left it at the hostel/hotel).

bbc said:
Mr Pearson said Eamonn was using his experience as a police officer to push the hunt for Mr Colgan.

"Eamonn is living and breathing this 24 hours a day," he said.

"With his knowledge as a police officer, he's asking the right questions. He's asking the questions why some of the CCTV hadn't been reviewed until Thursday this week.

"We understand that the CCTV from the bar can't be reviewed because the manager can't remember the password.

"So he is trying to force the issue with some of these things and make sure the right lines of inquiry are being taken.”

RBBM. Seems odd. Just saying. MOO

RBBM. Seems odd. Just saying. MOO

I also find it very odd. Maybe there's something the manager doesn't want to be viewed by police. Not necessarily to do with Liam but other things going on in his bar. Surely there must be a way to get into the system without a password? LE forensics could do it I would think? jmo

FOUR witnesses claim to have spotted what could be missing stag do reveller Liam Colgan 30 miles from where he was last seen, his brother revealed.

Relatives have travelled to the German town of Buxtehude — on the outskirts of Hamburg — after the handful of sightings of a ‘confused Scotsman’.

In one of the encounters the befuddled man asked for a glass of water. Police dogs have since picked up Liam’s scent in the area.

Brother Eamonn, 33, from Broughty Ferry, Dundee, said: “It gives us hope but at the same time we don’t want to get carried away.

“We don’t have any positive CCTV to go with the fresh sightings and the police have warned the dogs picking up the scent is not an exact science.

“I hope it’s genuine. I would like to think that no one is that cruel.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...hamburg-liam-colgan-stag-do-confused-missing/

Well, this is positive. You can never put too much weight into just one person stating they have seen a misper. But four. That's good. It seems as if they might just be one step behind him.

I also find it very odd. Maybe there's something the manager doesn't want to be viewed by police. Not necessarily to do with Liam but other things going on in his bar. Surely there must be a way to get into the system without a password? LE forensics could do it I would think? jmo

Hinky, Yes? :thinking:

I CERTAINLY hope technologists can get into that CCTV system!!!:please:

Yes, that‘s odd. I can‘t see though how cctv footage from inside the bar would help here when there’s supposedly cctv footage of Liam outside the bar walking towards the subway station.

I hope they are still evaluating other cctv sources. Unlike Britain, Germany‘s privacy laws around public video surveillance are very restrictive.

Hinky, Yes? :thinking:

I CERTAINLY hope technologists can get into that CCTV system!!!:please:

If they can break into a guys computer to find kiddie *advertiser censored* that was deleted 5 years ago, I'm sure they can break into some bar computer to retrieve CCTV footage.

I wonder if he could have been forcibly removed from the bar by a bouncer? If there was a scuffle Liam may have been injured...perhaps the bar wants to avoid any implication...

It seems suspicious to me perhaps the manager does not want to reveal nefarious activity in the bar like drug taking etc.

Yes, that‘s odd. I can‘t see though how cctv footage from inside the bar would help here when there’s supposedly cctv footage of Liam outside the bar walking towards the subway station.

I hope they are still evaluating other cctv sources. Unlike Britain, Germany‘s privacy laws around public video surveillance are very restrictive.

Exactly my thinking, thanks for writing!

Unless something happened to him inside rhe bar that could have affected his actions later

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Or footage could show someone following him?

Or footage could show someone following him?
I hope they get can put the pieces of the puzzle together. Given his friends‘ account of him being very intoxicated, I fear the worst but anything is possible. Media attention is very high and everyone wants to know what happened. There are many volunteers helping, distributing posters and searching in groups. People in Hamburg have great sympathy for Liam and his family and friends and I can imagine they won‘t rest until this mystery is solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back