Gun Control Debate #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally impractical idea. No offense, but it's obvious you're not very knowledgeable about firearms. They're not electronic devices like a smart phone. With these kinds of ideas, to me you might as well just ban guns entirely. I don't want to go deer hunting with a rifle that has an electronically controlled trigger that only lets me fire it. No way would I ever buy a gun like that, if it was available. Most likely couldn't afford it anyway, as it would likely cost several thousand dollars.

How do YOU think guns could be safer? How do YOU think guns could be kept out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?

How do YOU think guns could be safer? How do YOU think guns could be kept out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?

I've already stated that. Background checks for all gun sales, and minimum age of 21 for gun purchases.

JMO but a great deal of your arguments go back to that. It's illogical because every idea does not lead directly to "ban guns entirely" or "get rid of all the guns."

Reductio ad absurdum

IMO, requiring some sort of electronics on a gun to read a person's fingerprint before it will fire, IS the same as banning all guns. Because guns now are not like that, and if they are in the future, they would be unaffordable for most people.

Jumping off this post to get something off my chest - not speaking for Blef at all.

One thing that really stood out for me recently was a post that someone bought a gun (rifle, shotgun whatever) for their 12 year-old child. So why didn't the 12 year-old buy the gun themselves? The question is rhetorical.

This is setting up the 12 year-old and the parent(s) for a possible future problem - I guess I should add imo. The 12 year-old is only 12 for a short time - they soon become 14, 15, 16 ... and will want what they want, when they want it. That is a normal attitude for a teen - imo it kicks off the learning phase regarding consequences for ones actions.

This is precisely the gun owner that should have liability insurance - if the parent is insisting the gun belongs to the 12 year-old, then the 12 year-old is quite sure the gun belongs to them. They can and often will figure out how to get that gun out of lock-up (if it's locked up) and take it to a gathering of friends someday. That's when trouble can happen - no violent intent, no intent to menace others, no ill will - and no comprehension of the possible consequences. Teens don't know about consequences beyond the possibility of being grounded, losing privileges for a while etc. They are not yet wired for that.

Ok - I feel better now.

That was probably me. I bought my daughter a rifle for hunting. It's a bolt action that holds three cartridges in the magazine. I highly doubt it will ever be used to commit mass murder, or any murder for that matter. It's in a safe and my daughter doesn't have access to it. She doesn't care about having access either. She'd rather play Minecraft on her iPad than shoot her gun. Liability insurance? Another idea that is impractical and just plain wrong. Will never happen. The insurance would be for what? I don't get it? No matter what, I would never buy it anyway.

They have tighter gun regulations all round. Yes, there is a problem, but nowhere on the scale of the US. The difference in gun regulations in Canada and the US has already been linked in these threads somewhere.
Please understand I am not trying to disrespect Canada in any way. If anything I am saying Canada is doing something right. The United States gun problem is far worse than Canada. I believe it is beyond the regulating of guns as there are many illegal guns in the country yet there are no school shootings. Why? I am asking sincere questions. Sometimes we need to look at what other coutries are doing to get to the bottom of our own problems. Do you all have medal detectors in your schools? Do you all have armed security at your schools? Is juvenile mental health treated better there than here?
IMO there is the ability in both countries to have school shooting, yet it is not happening in Canada, and it is beyond gun registration making the differance.

That was probably me. I bought my daughter a rifle for hunting. It's a bolt action that holds three cartridges in the magazine. I highly doubt it will ever be used to commit mass murder, or any murder for that matter. It's in a safe and my daughter doesn't have access to it. She doesn't care about having access either. She'd rather play Minecraft on her iPad than shoot her gun. Liability insurance? Another idea that is impractical and just plain wrong. Will never happen. The insurance would be for what? I don't get it? No matter what, I would never buy it anyway.

You highly doubt - doesn't say anything imo.

Who said anything about mass murder? Again with an incorrect interpretation of a statement never intended.

Let's not speak directly anymore - it goes nowhere imo. I know your stance - it's enough.

Jmo - but can we leave how a person or entity leans chit out of the conversation? Who cares? We need facts and opinions stated as opinions. People get that.
Thank you, and I agree. I have had several posts laughed at because people have not liked the MSM I was getting some of my information from, so I figured I'd be up front with were I got the information from, so at least if my link got haha by any other poster others could see that I was getting my source from close to neutral and with a high reporting rating.

Totally impractical idea. No offense, but it's obvious you're not very knowledgeable about firearms. They're not electronic devices like a smart phone. With these kinds of ideas, to me you might as well just ban guns entirely. I don't want to go deer hunting with a rifle that has an electronically controlled trigger that only lets me fire it. No way would I ever buy a gun like that, if it was available. Most likely couldn't afford it anyway, as it would likely cost several thousand dollars.
Of course it is... Any idea anyone has ever suggested except do nothing is just impractical. Let's all just give up, then. Gun lovers win, everyone loses. Dead kids aren't worth even considering something that might be hard.

[emoji93]

Please understand I am not trying to disrespect Canada in any way. If anything I am saying Canada is doing something right. The United States gun problem is far worse than Canada. I believe it is beyond the regulating of guns as there are many illegal guns in the country yet there are no school shootings. Why? I am asking sincere questions. Sometimes we need to look at what other coutries are doing to get to the bottom of our own problems. Do you all have medal detectors in your schools? Do you all have armed security at your schools? Is juvenile mental health treated better there than here?
IMO there is the ability in both countries to have school shooting, yet it is not happening in Canada, and it is beyond gun registration making the differance.

I don't think it's what we have done recently - imo it's what we never did and never considered doing.

BBM

I would like to add:

How are children taught how to handle rejection, handle being bullied, and manage their anger in Canada?

What is the state of the nuclear family in Canada? Is it healthy, or in dire straits?

Also - I realize this may be a stretch for some although there has been scientific studies on diet and individual behaviour in the past:

What about the diets of these school shooters, especially ones who are present students at the school?

Why are they flying off the handle and shooting fellow students, like that kid today at that high school in Maryland?

I know enough about guns to have grown up with them, owned them, fired them, buried many friends and family members on account of them, and my husband is permanently scarred from one.

But, no, of course I'm just too ignorant and liberal and impractical to have an opinion on the matter.

Thanks for setting me straight.

BBM

I would like to add:

How are children taught how to handle rejection, handle being bullied, and manage their anger in Canada?

What is the state of the nuclear family in Canada? Is it healthy, or in dire straits?

Maybe another thread for this analysis? We don't want to derail this one right?

IMO, requiring some sort of electronics on a gun to read a person's fingerprint before it will fire, IS the same as banning all guns. Because guns now are not like that, and if they are in the future, they would be unaffordable for most people.
Who said they have to be affordable?

Phones have that technology and it's not cost prohibitive.

Really, with all the technology available REALLY nothing like that could be done? Poppycock.

If the NRA decided that's the ticket you can be sure funding would suddenly be found.

Is it plain wrong to make sure vehicles are insured? What do you think insurance is for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member