OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect, but these are some pretty hefty accusations with no evidence.

I agree that Clint certainly knows something, but the question is how major is it? I've worked in probation and I'm also an attorney, you would be amazed at petty things people lie about circled around major investigations. It could be something like they smoked weed and Clint was worried about getting in trouble with the law, which could affect med school or his career as a doctor. Or, it could be that he personally killed Brian, who knows?

You're acting like it's a certainty Clint did something to Brian. No evidence points to that at all. Like I said though, there is a near 100% chance he is hiding something.

george14
What I found strange that clint panicked and took a lawyer instead helping the police to try to find what happened to his best friend , if Clint took drugs and was afraid from the police I still think the police would not do anything to clint, they just wanted to find Brian, I read in one of the articles that Clint said that he will take the polygraph check if he gets immunity, and when the police refused he refused to take the polygraph, his request is a huge red flag.

I think that even if Clint didn't killed Brian, at least he knows why Brian was killed and maybe even by who, if Brian was my friend ,even if I took something not very legal that night I would still do everthing to help the police to find my friend and I would not hide , I would feel sick from worry ,the opposite of Clint who was apathetic , I believe he was apathetic becouse it wasn't such a mystery for him, becouse he knew what happened to Brian

"Why would the bar have a secret passage and how would Brian know about it?"

Maybe the owner of the bar or a worker (with the help of Brian's friends of course) would help him... I don't know, maybe...

[FONT="]I have another theory regarding the fate of Brian, which perhaps nobody thought. Is there a [U]secret passage[/U] or a [U]cellar[/U] and hiding there and waiting until the bar is completely emptied and disappear voluntarily by all? Yes exactly, maybe had planned his disappearance forever, for an unknown reason never one knew.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2A2E2E][FONT="]If he fell victim to murder, someone would hear something (voices, etc.)... I do not know...[/FONT]

[FONT="]Do not take this theory seriously, I'm not sure about this, but keep this in mind! Do not ignore it! I suggest this theory because I have exhausted all the rests that lead to a dead end.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2A2E2E][FONT="]I want your arguments on whether you disagree or not and why. Do you think there is a point where you find me wrong? [/FONT]:thinking:

I would say it's more likely that if there was a secret passage or cellar someone used that to take Brian/his body out of the building. I don't think Brian disappeared voluntarily.

Probably be asked before, but need reference:

1.)How many cameras are at the Ugly Tuna?
2.) Are they on 24/7, or turned off after closing time?

Satch

If you mean inside I didn't see any but doesn't mean there aren't.

george14
What I found strange that clint panicked and took a lawyer instead helping the police to try to find what happened to his best friend , if Clint took drugs and was afraid from the police I still think the police would not do anything to clint, they just wanted to find Brian, I read in one of the articles that Clint said that he will take the polygraph check if he gets immunity, and when the police refused he refused to take the polygraph, his request is a huge red flag.

I think that even if Clint didn't killed Brian, at least he knows why Brian was killed and maybe even by who, if Brian was my friend ,even if I took something not very legal that night I would still do everthing to help the police to find my friend and I would not hide , I would feel sick from worry ,the opposite of Clint who was apathetic , I believe he was apathetic becouse it wasn't such a mystery for him, becouse he knew what happened to Brian

I agree with what you are saying for the most part.

My problem is, people are getting too caught up with the "lawyering up" and "refusing a polygraph". This is common practice, trust me. If you were the last person to be seen with a missing person, you better lawyer up, no matter how innocent. As for polygraphs, they are not admissible in court, unreliable, and out of date. I understand how it looks suspicious, but once again, that could be for a minor reason like drugs or something.

I totally agree he is a horrible friend though. I could not imagine just abandoning the search if that was one of my buddies. Or cutting off contact with his family. That to me, is the most suspicious. Him lawyering up and refusing a polygraph is not suspicious at all to me.

Like I said though, I'm an attorney, so maybe I'm naturally scummy :blushing:

My problem is, people are getting too caught up with the "lawyering up" and "refusing a polygraph". This is common practice, trust me. If you were the last person to be seen with a missing person, you better lawyer up, no matter how innocent. As for polygraphs, they are not admissible in court, unreliable, and out of date. I understand how it looks suspicious, but once again, that could be for a minor reason like drugs or something.

Exactly. Clint was a medical student. It could've destroyed his career if it came out he was taking drugs that night.

And Clint wasn't even the last person seen with Brian. He had already left the bar when Brian was last caught on camera.

I totally agree he is a horrible friend though. I could not imagine just abandoning the search if that was one of my buddies. Or cutting off contact with his family. That to me, is the most suspicious. Him lawyering up and refusing a polygraph is not suspicious at all to me.

I agree about the LD test but technically the last person to see Brian was a ton of people in a crowded bar.

I could not imagine just abandoning the search if that was one of my buddies. Or cutting off contact with his family. That to me, is the most suspicious.

Yep. That's what I've been saying.

I wonder if it's possible that the reason Brian was not seen on the security cameras leaving the Ugly Tuna Saloona was that he crawled out on his hands and knees? He had to have been awfully wasted since he had between 6-9 shots, maybe more. Granted, he'd been seen on his feet, talking to the 2 girls, just minutes before closing but it's possible the booze kicked in HARD after that. Otherwise, I don't see how got out; he has to be somewhere in that building.

Exactly. Clint was a medical student. It could've destroyed his career if it came out he was taking drugs that night.

And Clint wasn't even the last person seen with Brian. He had already left the bar when Brian was last caught on camera.

I’ve been a long time reader of the forum, but this is my first post. I want to first say that I have really appreciated all of you keeping the conversation and hope alive.

Regarding this statement about Clint (“he was a medical student”)—I’ve seen this said frequently in these threads, but it is inaccurate. Clint was NOT a medical student nor is he a physician now. He was a grad student getting his PhD in Microbiology. In other words, he was primarily a scientist/researcher. There was not / is not a healthcare career consideration that is forcing Clint to remain quiet.

Having said that, I still believe it’s likely that Clint it hiding some information related to drug activity, but I wanted to set the record straight that there is not a healthcare career aspect to his evasiveness.

I’ve been a long time reader of the forum, but this is my first post. I want to first say that I have really appreciated all of you keeping the conversation and hope alive.

Regarding this statement about Clint (“he was a medical student”)—I’ve seen this said frequently in these threads, but it is inaccurate. Clint was NOT a medical student nor is he a physician now. He was a grad student getting his PhD in Microbiology. In other words, he was primarily a scientist/researcher. There was not / is not a healthcare career consideration that is forcing Clint to remain quiet.

Having said that, I still believe it’s likely that Clint it hiding some information related to drug activity, but I wanted to set the record straight that there is not a healthcare career aspect to his evasiveness.

Excellent point, and I agree with your post. Glad you joined us, XPh ! :welcome:

george14

Considering that you are an attorney I think that you have the skills to Look on things from a certain angle, I am trying to keep on open mind so I can understand your interpretation that running and take a lawyer doesn't mean that you automatically committed the crime, but as you said, the other part of Clint just abandoning the search and cutting off contact with Brian's family ,that is the most suspicious. Clint actually showed apathy regarding to Brian's disappearance.

I am glad that we can agree on something :smile:

I think that the second part alone without the Lawyer thing makes Clint as a very strong suspect , it makes me believe that Clint knows what happened to Brian and he knows that what happened to Brian was sinister.... or Clint himself he is the reason that Brian met a foul play.

Clint was NOT a medical student nor is he a physician now. He was a grad student getting his PhD in Microbiology. In other words, he was primarily a scientist/researcher. There was not / is not a healthcare career consideration that is forcing Clint to remain quiet.

Not true. Many high-level health related and research positions (especially at a graduate level) would still conduct an extensive background check before hiring. Many of these positions come with having to abide with ethical standards and limiting sharing of sensitive info beyond the boundaries of employment.

It may not always be deal breaker for an organization but many just don't want to hire someone that may have anything shady (criminal record- wise) in their background vs someone who is clean & competent academically, professionally and personally.

Not true. Many high-level health related and research positions (especially at a graduate level) would still conduct an extensive background check before hiring. Many of these positions come with having to abide with ethical standards and limiting sharing of sensitive info beyond the boundaries of employment.

It may not always be deal breaker for an organization but many just don't want to hire someone that may have anything shady (criminal record- wise) in their background vs someone who is clean & competent academically, professionally and personally.

I am not saying that there is not any aspect of Clint protecting his career--I am only saying that it was not because he was/is worried about a career in healthcare, because he is not a healthcare professional (he is a scientist). I definitely agree that plenty of professionals (including a microbiology researcher) could run into professional difficulties with a drug charge on their record, and this certainly could be the case with Clint.

The reason it matters is accuracy. There are plenty of people (myself included) who have come to these forums to read up on these cases, and you never know when a seemingly small detail could trigger something. Brian was a medical student; Clint was a PhD student. It seems insignificant, but again you never know when it might make all the difference to someone reading.

Reactions: DRT
Excellent point, and I agree with your post. Glad you joined us, XPh ! :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome, neesaki! I feel like I've been on the sidelines of this discussion too long, and it's time to finally get some of my thoughts out there!

Also - I know plenty of other regular posters have said/offered the same thing, but I do live in Columbus, so I'm happy to offer any insight into the city or area as questions arise :).

Well, here's my 2 cents.

I've been studying this case all of 3 hours! That's good and bad. Bad in that I don't know every minute detail. Good in that I haven't been pulled down a million rabbit holes and distracted in pursuit of senseless theories. I just know the basic framework of the case and haven't been distracted by lots of extraneous tidbits. And, as relates to the disappearance of Brian Shaffer, IMO there is a single glaringly obvious possibility that is IMO so highly likely that I'd be willing to bet money on it.

I mean no disrespect to Brian's friends/family. Just hoping to help find his remains. Wish I could have lent Brian an ear that night to remind him of what stunning bright possibilities life held for him - I have a feeling depression may have been playing games with and altering his perspective.

I'll sum it up here:

0) I believe Brian is dead and his remains are in the ground within feet of the structure housing the Saloona.
1) It is *very* likely that Brian was dead within an hour or so of last having been seen on the escalator.
2) Brian may have been hiding depression. Add to that upset over brutal loss of mother and perhaps doubting he was worthy for his girlfriend and feeling strain over engagement expectations. And exhausted from exams. And drunk. Awful situation, lots of strain/pressure.
3) Brian almost certainly left the Saloona by the freight entrance or, more likely (since neighboring surveil cam is said to have covered the freight entrance and revealed nothing) via the roof. I know, why would he do that, right? But he did, because he did not go out the front door.
4) If I understand correctly, there was a treacherous, full-blown construction site immediately adjacent to the structure housing the Saloona. Is what was under construction the five-story or so building east of the Saloona or the Gateway Film Center?
5) I think it is likely Brian either tried to exit through the construction site and fell and was trapped and died, or more likely leapt from the roof into the construction area. If the builder was putting footings/foundations in at that time, ten, twenty, thirty feet down, fill dirt may have been graded in over body without anyone noticing. This would explain why cadaver dogs found no scent next door at Saloona. Also, was there heavy rain within a day or two? That might have help cover body in eroding muck, preventing its discovery. Had searchers scoured fill areas at the construction site, rather than sewers, may have solved case.

The only point that gives pause is Clint's having lawyered up. But that is technically a wise move on his part, even though it does tend to arouse suspicion. I don't think Clint was involved.

So, to reiterate this theory, Brian fell in or fell or leapt into the construction site, in a pit or below grade up against base of footing or foundation, died, and wound up quickly inadvertently buried as construction proceeded. IT IS THAT SIMPLE. I predict his remains will one day be unearthed there if anyone has the conviction to look and resources to dig. Would be a costly undertaking.

This theory (I'm sure I'm far from the only one to posit it) reminds me a bit of a case in DC where a guy went missing at a pub in an old row house. He was drunk, had gone up to roof alone, wound up wedged between walls of two buildings. Was unable to even make a noise to call for help. Body decayed, and an odor in the area was detected, but no one ever imagined it was the missing patron's cadaver. The skeletal remains were discovered many years later during some construction work. Still clothed and carrying id, cash, etc.

Well, here's my 2 cents. I mean no disrespect to Brian's friends/family. Just hoping to help find his remains. Wish I could have lent him an ear that night...

I've been studying this case all of 3 hours! That's good and bad. Bad in that I don't know every minute detail. Good in that I haven't been pulled down a million rabbit holes and distracted in pursuit of senseless theories. I just know the basic framework of the case and haven't been distracted by lots of extraneous tidbits. And, as relates to the disappearance of Brian Shaffer, IMO there is a single glaringly obvious possibility that is IMO so highly likely that I'd be willing to bet money on it.

I'll sum it up here:

0) I believe Brian is dead and his remains are in the ground within feet of the structure housing the Saloona.
1) It is *very* likely that Brian was dead within an hour or so of last having been seen on the escalator.
2) Brian likely became emotionally upset about something which prompted him to separate from Clint with no word. Drunk. Upset over brutal loss of mother and perhaps doubting he was worthy for his girlfriend and feeling strain over engagement expectations. And exhausted from exams. Awful situation, lots of strain/pressure.
3) Brian almost certainly left the Saloona by the freight entrance or, more likely (since neighboring surveil cam is said to have covered the freight entrance and revealed nothing) via the roof.
4) If I understand correctly, there was a treacherous, full-blown construction site immediately adjacent to the structure housing the Saloona. Is what was under construction the five-story or so building east of the Saloona or the Gateway Film Center?
5) I think it is likely Brian either tried to exit through the site and fell and was trapped and died, or more likely leapt from the roof into the construction area. If the builder was putting footings/foundations in at that time, fill dirt may have been graded in over body without anyone noticing. This would explain why cadaver dogs found no scent next door at Saloona. Also, was there heavy rain within a day or two? That might have help cover body in eroding muck. Had searchers scoured fill areas at the construction site, rather than sewers, may have solved case.

The only point that gives pause is Clint's having lawyered up. But that is technically a wise move on his part, even though it does tend to arouse suspicion. I don't think Clint was involved.

So, to reiterate this theory, Brian fell in or into the construction site, in a pit or below grade up against base of footing or foundation, died, and wound up quickly inadvertently buried as construction proceeded. IT IS THAT SIMPLE. I predict his remains will one day be unearthed there if anyone has the conviction to look and resources to dig.

This theory (I'm sure I'm far from the only one to posit it) reminds me a bit of a case in DC where a guy went missing at a pub in an old row house. He was drunk, had gone up to roof alone, wound up wedged between walls of two buildings. Was unable to even make a noise to call for help. Body decayed, and an odor in the area was detected, but no one ever imagined it was the missing patron's cadaver. The skeletal remains were discovered many years later during some construction work. Still clothed and carrying id, cash, etc.

Appeciate your input, but regarding this theory of him being buried in the construction site, the chances are very slim, statistically speaking. Do you have some evidence to support this? Or, if you know something about the case, please contact Columbus PD. Brian’s family, what is left, would no doubt appreciate answers.

And what kind of construction workers don’t do any observation / examination of the site before they commence their work. I’m sure there are some who are so incredibly lazy and incompetent that they don’t do their job, yet we don’t know that to be so in this case, at least as far as I know. Unless of course the workers are in on it, and what is the chance of that . Surely it’s not a huge conspiracy.

Thank you for the food for thought.

Well, if you've ever been to a commercial construction site when they are going several stories down for footings, pilings, maybe a parking garage, etc., it is not hard to see how a body, if it landed in wrong spot in trench along a footing a wall, might be inadvertently buried when trench is filled in, especially in rainy, muddy conditions. Yeah, seems a bit unlikely, but all the alternatives seem wildly unlikely, IMO.

There's a reason there wasn't a single trace of Brian after 1am or whatever that morn - he was dead. No ATM use, no calls, no nothing. He was already dead. Some would drum up a murder scenario. To me, accidental fall or intentional leap followed by inadvertent burial in a construction trench - not one across town but right next door - is far simpler and more likely. Had there not been a construction site right next to the structure in which Brian was last seen, I would not have posited this theory. But there was apparently a construction site right next to where Brian was last seen. And if surveillance vids are to be believed, only way Brian got out of the building was via the construction site. And things get buried in construction sites - pillars, walls, footings. And once buried, they're not seen again for many a year. If ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark