CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they have ballistics? He shot at a Visalia police officer and one other guy IIRC. JJD lived in Visalia. They could also have some of the stolen items (weapons?) used in the later crimes too as a means to link them. The evidence list will be huge, I would imagine. It will be interesting to see how it all progresses.

They did link a shooting to the ransacker through ballistics on the gun, it was stolen during one of his burglaries.

For Visalia police, Golden State Killer suspect is 'the ghost we've been chasing
'

Although police never recovered the weapon, they later discovered that the gun used to shoot Snelling was the same one that was stolen from a nearby home.

After last month's arrest of the suspected Golden State Killer, Joseph James DeAngelo Jr., the Visalia Police Department said it believes the ransacker and the killer are the same man. But in the absence of crime scene DNA, police are working to use fingerprints found at the burglary scenes, as well as items that were left behind at the crimes, to prove the connection.

...Police are working with the Sacramento Sheriff's Department to determine whether any of the items stolen in Visalia were found in DeAngelo's Citrus Heights home.

Then he did his internship with Roseville PD, then married in '73 and joined Exeter PD, living in Visalia, till '76, then to Auburn PD till '79.

So Cal State Sac = CCB '70-72
Exeter PD = VR '73-76
Auburn PD = EAR '76-79
SoCal = ONS '79-'86

Total = GSK

:cow:

He studied police science at Sierra College in Rocklin, too.
That is where he met Bonnie.

Golden State Killer suspect lived a quiet suburban life, with flashes of rage and anger

DeAngelo served in the Navy and did 22 months of combat operations off the North Vietnam coast during the war, according to local media reports at the time. He received his associate's degree in police science from Sierra College in Rocklin and moved to Cal State Sacramento in 1970 to get his bachelor's degree in criminal justice. He met his wife, Sharon M. Huddle, in school and married her in 1973.

Breakup With ‘Bonnie’ May Have Fueled Golden State Killer

DeAngelo met Colwell at Sierra College, where they attended school in the late 1960s. Their engagement was announced in the Auburn Journal in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

East Idaho link to Golden State Killer; DNA test helps with 40-year investigation

https://idahostatejournal.com/news/...cle_7f37fb6a-1cd0-5b5a-a627-a7a5bc29f17a.html

The DNA test that sparked an investigation into solving the Golden State Killer case started right here in Rexburg.

A Rexburg woman, who is an avid genealogist, took her dad’s DNA and unwittingly helped investigators find distant cousin Joseph DeAngelo, who is suspected in killing 11 people and raping 50 women in California from 1978 to 1986. The woman spoke on condition of anonymity, and the Standard Journal like the Associated Press, is not releasing her name.

“The male line can go back 20 to 30 generations. Having a 12 marker match, they don’t share the same surname. It’s way up in the tree. It was because of that test and that rare genetic marker, that the FBI initially thought my dad was the killer,” she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29760212

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23431793

A couple of interesting articles.

One regarding an "empathy switch" for physchopaths and the other regarding so called "warrior gene" possibly responsible for some violent behaviour.

Maybe the fact he had 3 daughters of his own, finally triggered enough empathy for him to stop, though not quite enough to stop the abusive phone calls from continuing.
Will they prosecute him for the calls, some reportedly as recent as 2017?
It is a form of torture making victims suffer all over again.

rbbm.
http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/go...mes-deangelo-court-appearances-wheelchair-act
Golden State Killer: Are Joseph DeAngelo’s Court Appearances In A Wheelchair Part Of An Act?

by Gina Pace

May 7, 2018
"Don’t believe this guy that you see being wheeled into court," former investigator Paul Holes said.
“I watched him for seven hours during [police] interviews,” Holes said. “He was catatonic and non-responsive during the times I saw him, but I started to see the his wheels turn. He’s the ultimate tactician, and his defense strategy is going to try and minimize what’s going to happen to him. He’s intelligent, and sophisticated. He realizes he’s not going to get out but he’s going to try and self-preserve. The wheelchair is part of that strategy.”

Holes said that while staking out DeAngelo, authorities realized he’s physically fit for his age.

“Don’t believe this guy that you see being wheeled into court. That’s not who he is,” Holes said. “He has numerous registered guns in his house and he’s been going to the range to keep up his proficiency.”
“I get emotional seeing him in that wheelchair because I just want to grab him and punch the crap out of him,” Carson-Sandler said.
In his court appearances, DeAngelo appears weak, often squinting in the courtroom and answering in a voice barely above a whisper.

His appearance in court took those who knew him by surprise, the Chronicle reports, because neighbors have described him as “high strung” and always “talking or yelling," according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/golden-state-killer-joseph-deangelo-sharon-huddle-divorce
May 7 2018
rbbm.
At a Crimecon panel about the Golden State Killer on Friday, an audience member said he had heard that suspect Joseph James DeAngelo had been estranged from his wife, a divorce lawyer, for more than 20 years. The audience member asked if it was possible that she stayed married because she “knows something” and wouldn’t want to testify against DeAngelo.

Paul Holes, a recently-retired investigator with the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office, was cagey in his reply.

“I’m very well aware they are estranged,” Holes said on the panel in Nashville. “It’s an unusual situation that someone so well versed in the divorce process has chosen not to have completed that process, and it becomes suspicious. I cannot go into any more detail than that at this time.”

Wow - I hadn't realized that JJD has been estranged from his wife for more than 20 years.

Is this true?

Wow - I hadn't realized that JJD has been estranged from his wife for more than 20 years.

Is this true?
Yes, it is true that they are separated, but not divorced.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...dpa-according-to-teen/?utm_term=.9e156b0b540f
His wife does not appear to have lived with him in his later years (a neighbor told the Bee that they were divorced, while a KCRA News reporter said the couple remained “technically married, though estranged”), but he kept up his family life.

His brother-in-law, James Huddle, told Oxygen that DeAngelo was a “good father.”

According to neighbors, a daughter and granddaughter had been living with him in Citrus Heights until his arrest this week.

Then he did his internship with Roseville PD, then married in '73 and joined Exeter PD, living in Visalia, till '76, then to Auburn PD till '79.

So Cal State Sac = CCB '70-72
Exeter PD = VR '73-76
Auburn PD = EAR '76-79
SoCal = ONS '79-'86

Total = GSK

:cow:

bbm
That's what I thought, I knew it had something to do with either his or his sister being in college at the time. i haven't listened to the 12-26-75 podcast yet but I think there were also some VR/CCB type crimes around where his sister went to college (or lived) perhaps in the late 60s or early 70/71 and people were wondering if he ever visted his sister. moo

Is this true?

MSM initially reported that they were divorced in 1991 (so 27 years ago). Neighbors and family have stated they are estranged as has Paul Holes. I’m not sure that anyone knows exactly at this point. They could have a legal separation in California instead of an actual divorce.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1032.htm

If he'll be at crime con next year... I'm making my reservation NOW :D

I would really love to see him speak in person. I've found his interviews to be fascinating and I admire that he makes sure to acknowledge that this was a team effort. He has an incredible story to tell and he and the other investigators in this case are very good examples of people who did not let failure defeat them.

MSM initially reported that they were divorced in 1991 (so 27 years ago). Neighbors and family have stated they are estranged as has Paul Holes. I’m not sure that anyone knows exactly at this point. They could have a legal separation in California instead of an actual divorce.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1032.htm

I find it extremely strange for a couple to be separated (legally or otherwise) for 27 years without dissolving the union.

Most (normal) folks want to move forward with their lives after a relationship doesn't work out.

I would really love to see him speak in person. I've found his interviews to be fascinating and I admire that he makes sure to acknowledge that this was a team effort. He has an incredible story to tell and he and the other investigators in this case are very good examples of people who did not let failure defeat them.

Tenacity and persistence... are just a couple of his strong suits.

*** Fredna gets busy making "2019 Crime Daddy" tees ***

“When he was arrested, they found numerous (a lot) of brand new items in his house that also were apparently stolen. It was the thrill.”

The above statement from Deputydawg’s post is about the earlier arrest of DeAngelo back in the 70’s for shoplifting, not the current arrest.

Perhaps the items were stolen property from the burglaries? Surely they checked out these items? This was '79 and he was still married and a police officer at the time? The ex. Police chief should have investigated.

I find it extremely strange for a couple to be separated (legally or otherwise) for 27 years without dissolving the union.

Most (normal) folks want to move forward with their lives after a relationship doesn't work out.

Maybe they're Catholic.

From Oxygen.com: They separated in 1991, according to KTXL in Sacramento, but it appears they never officially divorced.

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/golden-state-killer-joseph-deangelo-sharon-huddle-divorce

Well, that adds up to 27 years of estrangement, doesn't it?

If so, WTH???

I know - that does seem very odd, and especially so if he really "disappeared" for a number of years and I don't think anyone has found any evidence he was employed during those missing years, either.

If I am correct on the time-frame, his missing years would have been when the daughters were growing up. If he wasn't working, there likely was no financial support from him. It doesn't appear there was a reconciliation between the two of them, either, at least not from what his wife's neighbors reported. They also lived in separate homes.

His wife is an attorney, so I imagine she must have had a good reason to not divorce him (if that is true), but I cannot imagine what that reason could possibly be!

The only thing not getting divorced barred them from was getting remarried. It appears they both moved on with their lives amicably. It's not the norm, but it's not unheard of, and, in the end, it probably prevented a costly, contentious divorce.

No matter how amicable the split, things can really turn to garbage when the lawyers get involved. His wife probably knows that better than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezel