Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

Something possibly unrelated:
I did a search for "Forever Dreaming Farm" (the Miles' name for their sustainable farming project) and found the FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Forever-Dreaming-Farm-171244946978214/about/?ref=page_internal
but I also found an odd Youtube channel...if possible can someone verify whether it's likely that these two pieces of security footage came from the same "Forever Dreaming Farm"...with the night vision it's hard to see if the properties might match...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5n8CaqqfSm7jhhCMhpngw/videos

It looks like the dream was too much for Pete.
I got the creeps when I saw the mobile number tho.

Forever Dreaming is our forever farm. It is here that we will grow as much of our food as we can, sit on the veranda and watch the birds, and watch the grandchildren immerse themselves in the animals and everything else that happens on a daily basis. It is from here that Peter will run his farm maintenance and repair business......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone else think that that 'farm' looks a bit scrubby and dry? It does not look like fertile soil to me.

Three firearms belonging to the 61-year-old grandfather of four children killed in a murder-suicide near Margaret River, in Western Australia, have been recovered at the scene, police say.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-12/margaret-river-osmington-murder-suicide-saturday/9754446

Hi Morrisa.

Depression has triggers apparently. There was a huge lead-up on David Goodall deciding to end his life and I noticed on several articles stating these triggers.

David ended his life the day before this happened and I wonder, if in future there should not be such hoopla on very private decisions like this. Just a thought.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...in-a-powerful-statement-on-euthanasia/9742528

Hi Morrisa.

Depression has triggers apparently. There was a huge lead-up on David Goodall deciding to end his life and I noticed on several articles stating these triggers.

David ended his life the day before this happened and I wonder, if in future there should not be such hoopla on very private decisions like this. Just a thought.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-...in-a-powerful-statement-on-euthanasia/9742528

David Goodall was surprised himself that his decision had so much publicity. I do wonder where the press got that from.

Sustainability is difficult! I tried the veggie patch and failed miserably and now appreciate how hard our farmers have it and don’t mind paying a reasonable price for meat, fruit and verges.
I always purchase from the independent suppers tho.

The rabbits and the Sydney Water Board were the only ones who benefited.
My Physio got a fist full of $$$ when I wrenched my back digging the bloody dirt.
That about it tho.

Oh but I can’t forget I grew a batch of fat hungry fruit flies.

Peter posted 2 ads on gumtree looking for work just a mere 2 days before the killing. So he had been planning to stay around..Something must of snapped in past 2 days.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-seller/Peter Miles/1017906643

Like John Walsh, in Cowra, NSW, in 2008.... his daughter, Shelley, a serving NSW police officer often left her 2 kids , 5 and 7, I think, with their grandparents, who were thrilled to have them while she worked shift work in the Cowra area..

One day, as usual, she dropped them off , and went to work, afternoon shift, came back to Mum and Dad's and walked in the door to find Mum slumped against the hall way , her kids, laid out cold in their bunks, even the family dog shot and while she was trying to revive her son, John Walsh attacked her with a small tomahawk, chipping out a bit of her skull.

He took off when she simply wouldn't die, later on he said he thought he might have a good chance of killing the ex-son-in-law, too, given a bit of extra time and leeway.

When the judge was sentencing him ( life ) , he remarked that the whole thing was puzzling and horrifically tragic as Walsh had absolutely no explanation . And still doesn't have today. He knows in detail what he did but not the faintest idea why.

And like Geoff Hunt, (https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...na-NSW-8-Sept-2014/page6&highlight=Geoff+Hunt ) no one else had any premonition or apprehension...

I’m not so sure...I think they may have had money problems...the ads don’t mean he was getting any work....

Looks that way, maybe they did have that big mortgage afterall and it all became too much.

There seems to be a sort of indication of the capacity for fury in Mr Miles, in so far as he had a public and long running battle with his employer , the Margaret River High school, where he had been a teacher, and also the manager of the School farm. His idea of ecological sustainability ( which is used on our family farm, so I don't think his ideas were barmy ) and the school principal's ideas did not mesh, so Miles resigned, after 30 years of teaching , and this is where the take up of the farm with the daughter and the wife and grandkids progressed from.

I don't see any lack of finance, looking at pictures of the property, obviously the swimming pool was put in by the Miles' ,, it wasn't in the pictures of the property when it was for sale, and the place looks manicured, a big job adhered to on a daily basis, for a bloke getting on in years, but financial worries are not always the trigger.. Geoff Hunt had a 1 and 1/2 million dollar home on the drawing board ready to begin, an indicator of the real value of his present and future prospects in the wheat trade.

So maybe not money, and maybe not any sort of romantic tangle off-farm, maybe not any long running family feud, no sudden demands or ultimatums, .. maybe, just.... a long moment of crazy..

Some neighbor said, the shots were spaced far apart. a real determination, and at least 6 moving targets, unless each member of the family was in some way and at some stage separated and restrained, or incapacitated, or you know, tied up , locked down... shooting moving targets is a real skill, not gained in day, and not something that can be done without 5 people interrupting and interfering in the plan, unless they are unable to. And, although I don't know how many shots, it doesn't appear to be that he had many missed goes, no one says there was a barrage of fired shots, not the kind an automatic, or semi automatic would make, so far rifles are spoken of, and this requires ammo at hand, and loading and reloading, and particular skill at aiming and firing.

[FONT="]On Margaret River’s main street, a cafe worker said, “they have got it wrong. It wasn’t the grandfather”.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...garet-river-deaths/ar-AAx9dMN?ocid=spartandhp

[/FONT]

now, that is interesting, ey, TGY.... certainly, the shooter was a skilled and steady marksman. Or markswoman. Shooting 6 live and moving targets, who don't want to be shot, and know what shooting is, that is , humans and not other game , as the aware and terrified target and actually kill them all, one after the other without missed shots, and 2 of those targets were adult women, 2 of the kids were youngish adolescents, not kids, targets escaping, jamming the firing pin, dropping the ammo, all the things that can happen in these circumstances.....

A very rare and extraordinary event, apart from the utter tragedy of it. Logistically, a particularly difficult plan pulled off with outstanding and outrageous precision.

now, that is interesting, ey, TGY.... certainly, the shooter was a skilled and steady marksman. Or markswoman. Shooting 6 live and moving targets, who don't want to be shot, and know what shooting is, that is , humans and not other game , as the aware and terrified target and actually kill them all, one after the other without missed shots, and 2 of those targets were adult women, 2 of the kids were youngish adolescents, not kids, targets escaping, jamming the firing pin, dropping the ammo, all the things that can happen in these circumstances.....

A very rare and extraordinary event, apart from the utter tragedy of it. Logistically, a particularly difficult plan pulled off with outstanding and outrageous precision.

The call to the police was at 5:00am so I assume everyone but the shooter was asleep. There probably wasn’t too many moving targets if they were in bed. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can't fathom how a grandpa or family member, can kill one by one, with no silencer, 4 kids of ones own family all under 15 years old. There was clearly no silencer so all would of been just totally terrified, as they were mostly found in a metal converted shed. We don't know I hope atleast they were sedated beforehand somehow and didn't have to have their lives ended in the face of pop (or mum) with a rifle, after watching the siblings go first. Still find it hard to believe.

The call to the police was at 5:00am so I assume everyone but the shooter was asleep. There probably wasn’t too many moving targets if they were in bed. JMO

The first one would of been asleep but surely the first shot would have woken up the others. Even the neighbour some distance away was woken up.

One shot would have woken the other four up and running, I would think.. Logistically, he/she cant kill all 5 at once, with one shot.. Assuming he/she has already killed the Grandmother, the shooter is now in the 2nd house with 5 people in it, 1 adult , 2 teenagers and 2 young kids, not babies, in cots, but running kids, ... it is hard to believe that after the first shot, the other 4 remained still in bed, and so on down to the last one killed.. that doesn't make a lot of sense.

The shooter had at the very least 4 running, screaming, panicked targets, and who knows, maybe 5..

No automatic or semi auto rifles are in the mix here, the shooter had to reload at some stage, in the middle of the carnage..because there are 6 killed before the last one. .. that is, Stop. Find Ammo, Count Ammo out. Reload, Adjust sight. Collect Aim, and begin firing again.

The shooter had to be carrying the extra ammo along with the rifle.

Tragic ! Absolutely shocking.

[FONT=&quot]On Margaret River’s main street, a cafe worker said, “they have got it wrong. It wasn’t the grandfather”.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...garet-river-deaths/ar-AAx9dMN?ocid=spartandhp

[/FONT]

Maybe this is why the cops will be there for another five days. Making sure who really did the deed.
Was it grandpa or did someone else leave grandpa till last and shot him to make it look like suicide. Use his phone, place the gun in an obvious position and walk away.
Everything seems too obvious but out cops will find the truth. Was there a disgruntled sibling wanting money, someone’s toes were trodden on? :thinking:

“We know where the call was made from, we know whose phone it was made from," said WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...to-margaret-river-deaths-20180512-p4zexk.html

I’m not so sure...I think they may have had money problems...the ads don’t mean he was getting any work....

Being winter in WA, now, and in many ways, the Margaret River area settles back into it's own after the summer tourist season, it isn't an unusual thing for small farmers to do off-farm work up until September, or even October, each year, a few days a week, the home farm can be kept up to par with just a few days a week unlike the spring planting, the summer maintenance, and the autumn harvesting.. the yearly cycle would mean looking for off-farm work more to be occupied over winter, and lots of places need experienced workpeople for jobs than can only be done at this time..

I didn't read into his advertising for work as a measure of financial desperation, but more of a usual cycle of labour distribution on a seasonal basis among small farmers...

Tragic ! Absolutely shocking.

Yes it is hon.
Everyone -
If ever these horrific crimes we sleuth daily start to affect your wellbeing don’t be frightened to take a break for a while.
Sometimes it seems it’s one tragedy after another and I started experiencing anxiety. Know your body and it’s limitations.
You’re not showing weakness but you’re actually showing strength.

I’ve given myself some timeout

The mods have given me timeout as well but we needn’t go there. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member