Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE is well versed with experiences of perpetrators coming into online forums and chat rooms. The internet can fall under the umbrella of "media coverage". In fact, a perpetrator has come on Websleuths before and communicated with admins. Also, Bo Dukes (the perp who admitted to the FBI that he helped burn her body in a pecan orchard) frequently commented on the forums of Payne Lindsey's "Up and Vanished" podcast on the Tara Grinstead case. I'm only concerned with us being vigilant to provide information that is helpful for finding Mollie and not reveal, publicly, how SPECIFICALLY LE is trying to track the perpetrator down but I am not an admin so it's not my decision whether people choose to post potentially revealing strategic information or not.
I believe it, I just would not think of websleuths as "media reports." As for other social media I cannot say because I have not experienced it. As far as perps posting on such sites it wouldn't surprise me at all if they browsed through or even posted. SK often have big egos and may enjoy the thrill of engaging in SM undetected. It's like a game to them.

Personally, I too don't want to believe Mollie's disappearance the deed of a "local." It will devastate the community more than you can imagine. On June 24, in a WA town about the size of Brooklyn, a 16 year old was lured away from home under the pretense of "first camping trip" of summer where he was raped with a stick and beaten to death by another 16 year old and his 21 year old brother. These boys had been neighbors and best of friends since age of 5, and were part of a class of only 32 students. The entire community including the county prosecutors recusing themselves are shattered. Months later they remain frightened, and heart broken. (See Ben Eastman, 16, WA, thread).

This is so completely horrid, I can't stomach reading that thread right now, but my heart aches for that young man. I agree, it would destroy many lives in such a small town.

It does still say "bring Molly Tibbetts home safe" on the Crime Stoppers site for the reward.
I think LE is taking full advantage of the publicity the crime stopper amount is up to, and now is vaguely alluding to $ for their own tip line being substantial. Substantial could still be the $2k for all we know. Rahn said today that he is not a money guy....

I believe it, I just would not think of websleuths as "media reports." As for other social media I cannot say because I have not experienced it. As far as perps posting on such sites it wouldn't surprise me at all if they browsed through or even posted. SK often have big egos and may enjoy the thrill of engaging in SM undetected. It's like a game to them.
Eric Williams, the former justice of the peace who murdered two prosecutors and one of their wives in Kaufman, Texas in 2013, posted in the comments section of news reports, after his crimes. He also used an anonymous online tip line, to taunt police. He had a huge ego that proved to be his undoing. It’s not just serial killers who read coverage and communicate. I highly doubt this guy is on Websleuths though.

I can't remember; was the reward mentioned by LE in the presser before a question from the press or after? I think it was before.

Finally had time to watch the presser and read comments here - it's my initial feeling that the press conference today was an exercise in building a case. I believe they have a POI and are asking for specific sightings of the POI - hence, the website.

Also, I still maintain that Mollie was targeted, which is why they don't feel the community is in danger. She has a magnetic personality so the person attracted to her could be someone she knew from college, her workplace or someone who lives in the community.

A person from outside the community could explain the spots they have designated on the map. I pray that someone who has a gut feeling about something unusual will speak out so that Mollie can be found.

Can or could a business be sued for not having their survellience in working order?
No, atleast not in the way you’re referring. The security system is to protect the business. They have no obligation to capture evidence of a crime that is unrelated to that capacity.

No, I just thought it was strange how they're all in the Midwest within 7 hrs of each other, 3/3 were all outside walking or biking, 2/3 cases have a perpetrator that is believed to be a stranger (we don't know anything certain about MT's perp yet), all cases have been widely-publicized and have gone cold (except for MT's, at the moment), and 2/3 have had bodies discovered in the woods (I think?).
2/3 were also found by older bridges, and shallow water. If it were the same guy, it would appear that he's gradually worked his way up to where he wanted to be. Maybe started with 1 young girl somewhere, then the 2 in Evansdale, then 2 slightly old in Delphi, and finally an adult (although a fairly small one). I really don't think all 3 cases are related, but it sure would be nice if they solved this one and found that it solved the other two too. MOO

I've had to, as some posters are thinking I'm warning against discussing any and all topics pertaining to solving the investigation. I'm clearly not. I'm referring to something that posters discussed back in the earlier threads regarding tracing the IP address of the perpetrator via different methods. I want the perpetrator to be "dumb enough" to not know what LE will do to track them down.
Did you see the post from the tech guy who I think it was Paul, who explained why LE would most likely NOT be doing this? There was a big discussion on it, and he basically said they would have to track down " hundreds of thousands" of people. Just mentioning it because it's not something to really worry about them doing anyway. According to PaulR

Last edited:
This is so completely horrid, I can't stomach reading that thread right now, but my heart aches for that young man. I agree, it would destroy many lives in such a small town.
Mollie and Ben share similar qualities - friends to everybody, loving families, very well liked, joyful persons. 20 or 16 -- they're just kids...

I've had to, as some posters are thinking I'm warning against discussing any and all topics pertaining to solving the investigation. I'm clearly not. I'm referring to something that posters discussed back in the earlier threads regarding tracing the IP address of the perpetrator via different methods. I want the perpetrator to be "dumb enough" to not know what LE will do to track them down.
Also, most perps are not " dumb", and are in fact quite intelligent, and dont need to look through SM to look for what Not to do. Jmo. More likely would be on for the fun of it and to mess with people.

Last edited:
No, atleast not in the way you’re referring. The security system is to protect the business. They have no obligation to capture evidence of a crime that is unrelated to that capacity.
I figured as much, but now days it seems there is a way around everything. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

2/3 were also found by older bridges, and shallow water. If it were the same guy, it would appear that he's gradually worked his way up to where he wanted to be. Maybe started with 1 young girl somewhere, then the 2 in Evansdale, then 2 slightly old in Delphi, and finally an adult (although a fairly small one). I really don't think all 3 cases are related, but it sure would be nice if they solved this one and found that it solved the other two too. MOO

That back route along 385 was very remote, reminded me of the feeling I had looking at the Delphi location. Idk that Mollie would have wanted to run there in the evening, but maybe she enjoyed running on different types of terrain. Even the route there along 6 is fairly deserted.

Did you see the post from the tech guy who I think it was Paul, who explained why LE would most likely NOT be doing this? There was a big discussion on it, and he basically said they would have to track down " hundreds of thousands" of people. Just mentioning it because it's not something to really worry about them doing anyway. According to PaulR
LE most likely NOT doing what? Too late for riddles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix