Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. I'm interested to see if he'll change his confession to he was trying to protect SW.
It's so strange to me that the defense really wants dna from the girls necks and SW nails. Just seems like something the prosecution would be asking for.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to create reasonable doubt that way.

Two things are basically in conflict in my head right now regarding the DV 1) How quickly the friend contacted law enforcement shows that SW might have told her that CW was acting strangely or hurting her but at the same time if she felt CW was dangerous to warn her friend that something might happen why then 2) Leave him alone with two vulnerable young girl?

And with regard to their financial troubles.. They've already hit rock bottom before and somehow managed to rebuild their lives (somewhat). Would the threat of financial trouble really have been enough motive to kill two little babies and their pregnant mothers?

I'm honestly not playing devil's advocate. I just don't get this case.

Oh, I said I followed two cases but that's not true! I forgot about the guy who left his baby in the seat of his car. I was ready to lock him up and throw away the key on day 1 too! This case though? Nope. Can't wrap my head around it just yet.

Any chance the confession will get leaked soon?

Ciram

Gitana, I’m sure I speak for many when I say thank goodness you’re on here!

Thanks! I shouldn't though! I'm behind on work because of my fascination with this case and will be doing some all nighters to catch up. Ugh.

I feel this is likely to be resolved via plea deal. No matter what it will be anguish for her family and loved ones. Every motion. Every appearance. Every release of info.

But I'm very hopeful there won't be a trial. Nothing the defense is doing is alarming me or making me think "Oh no. Here we go."

Not so far.

It's called "alleged" because that's standard journalistic practice. It will be "alleged murders" before a conviction and it will be "alleged confession" until there is an official report. Even then they may say, "the charging documents show an alleged confession...".

They're protecting themselves from lawsuits. And it's also journalistic integrity/ethical standards I believe.

It’s also “alleged” because it comes from a leaked, as in unnamed, “LE source.” Again, no official LE spokesperson has acknowledged a confession. Shanann’s Brother said he was told that CW confessed. A journalist was advised by “LE sources” (unnamed) that he confessed.

When an official statement is made affirming it, that’s when I’ll be sure.

But I still feel in my gut that CW and his “zealous” attorney are going to attempt anything they can to have him get away with it.

Maybe tomorrow LE will be more forthcoming with their known facts, whatever they may be.

Hi Guys! Has anyone noticed the chum who brought her home had a name change? First it was a U name, now it's an A name. Just curious. And the U name's FB page has a photo who isn't like the other selfies on the page, so that was odd. I'm not sleuthing her, just looking for her interviews and there seems to be two names used under one person depending on the interiew, the older ones have U and the newer ones have A. Interesting

yes...NU and NA

Just watched the video of Nicole on GMA. I for one am so glad Shannan had someone like her as a friend. At the end of the day her actions are an example for all of us that if you feel something weird is going on with a friend, do not hesitate to report it to LE. How many times has some terrible crime been committed and friends of the victim are interviewed saying, "I had a feeling something wasn't right" or "that just seemed so bizarre to me and out of character" etc but they sat on it because they were able to rationalize it away OR worse they didn't want to get someone in trouble if it was nothing. If your gut tells you something is wrong you need to listen to it. It is natures way of alerting you to danger. After seeing one of those friend interviews I always think, wow, now this innocent person has to carry that burden around for the rest of their lives. That is how it works. The normal and good people in our lives DO carry guilt unlike the bad guy that committed the crime.

He did not confess,right?

Well. Thereby lies a tale. He had a lot of tales. I don't remember the exact sequence but at one point he claimed his wife had killed one or all of the children and he snapped and killed her. He was apprehended in Mexico where he was impersonating a NYT (I think, maybe WSJ?) reporter who had been disgraced and eventually, in prison, became pen pals with the reporter,who wrote a book.

The DNA swabs on the girls' necks made me wonder if CW had something like that in mind as a defense. Would there be a reason to ask for the neck specifically otherwise? Is there a better chance of just generally finding DNA there? I understand the control swabs, but the neck specifically makes me curious. Or does it mean nothing out of the ordinary?

On Wednesday right before the 10:00 pmnews cycle Denver’s local ABC station broke with the news that CW confessed. The reporter apparantly has connections inside LE and he was told about the confession by an insider (or two). CBS News were still talking about where did Shanann go until the very end of the newscast when they announced the confession and said they’d confirmed the news w/two LE insiders. No idea when Fox/NBC first reported, but it was everywhere by morning.

To my knowledge, LE and prosecutors have never publically acknowledged a confession. We’ll find out when it’s unsealed but I don’t think prosecutors used a confession as grounds for charging him, and even Channel 7 (local ABC station) that originally broke the news has reverted to calling it an “alledged confession”.

I don’t think the inside LE sources were lying when they said CW confessed to police (yes, news reported it was given to LE —I know some have speculated is called alledged because he only confessed to his family). The fact the prosecutors and official statements make no mention of a confession has me worried perhaps they’re afraid the confession will get thrown out. Really worried! If the confession isn’t included in the sealed documents, hopefully the fact that he’s behind bars means they don’t need the confession to nail him.

Does anyone know if a confession is thrown out and part of the confession was telling where bodies were disposed, if discovery of the bodies and any evidence found on the bodies needs to be tossed out too? I’m new to this and don’t know rules of evidence, or whatever governs this sort of thing. Hoping those of you w/more experience can reassure me there’s no need to worry. But if there’s a chance he’s going to get off because confession was motivated by evidence that gets thrown out, and bodies, etc also can’t be used to prosecute because they were found as result of the thrown out confession I am going to be sick.

(O/T, Your post reminded me of Emily Glass who was not charged with murder, despite the fact that she led DM/LE to little Lucas Hernandez’ body.

Do I think that will happen here, no, but your post reminded me about that.)

If we are speaking of the 2nd to last order on the page, it seems to be referring to ONLY the advisement hearing and NOT the trial.
An exert: THIS MATTER comes before the Court for consideration of the request of Longmont Times-Call, KDVR/FOX 31, KMGH, The Tribune, and the Coloradoan (“Petitioner”) for expanded media coverage of the initial advisement hearing of the defendant, which is scheduled for August 16, 2018 at 2:30 p.m. This request was filed on August 16, 2018...........The Court finds and concludes the defendant has not satisfied the applicable tests. As a result the court authorizes expanded media coverage for the limited advisement hearing on August 16, 2018 @ 2:30 p.m.
Of course this is only my opinion....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member