Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm folks, it doesn't matter if you posted what may have happened. It doesn't matter if you were 'right'... this isn't about YOU... it's about MOLLIE!!!
For some of us, we uptake info from here to use in other settings away from this board. I learned something. I always do when I study another case. It's about lessons learned and maybe preventing something like it from happening again or aiding in other cases. If you don't learn, this is all for naught.

I am not convinced he got out of the car and attacked her. Maybe it was his favorite game being GrandTheft Auto on his FACEBOOK homepage. Did LE impound his car? They had asked for anyone to let them know if someone had recent car repair during one of the PCs.

One of the followup articles yesterday mentioned how LE went to the farm where he worked -

I am still having a hard time processing how dairy farm work is seasonal. I recall where I was raised seasonal was during the summer. Maybe someone can help me understand better how a dairy farm would need seasonal workers?

When LE went to the location the article mentioned most of the other workers only spoke Spanish. This opened a different question -

Obviously his girlfriend could speak English and could understand and read the posters about Mollie. I wonder if LE had folks on their team who were bi-lingual? The Clearinghouses are all in English. I wonder if there should a translated link for Spanish?
I believe he had to exit his vehicle to be able to do what he did. If he did not get out of his vehicle she would have had ample time to call 911 as she told him she was going to do. I think he exited his car and was physically beside her when he was able to abduct her. Imo he was within inches of her at the time leaving her with no chance to escape or call for help.

My guess is that Mollie's killer is a psychopath, and he is lying in between some truthfulness, and the only reason he's been somewhat truthful is because he was caught on the unknown video following her, and knew he couldn't get away with it after LE interviewed him for "a long time":

INTERPERSONAL TRAITS OF A PSYCHOPATH
The most common trait of a psychopath is their pathological lying. This is so that they can cover up their behaviour and get their own way.

The Hare Psychopathy Checklist with 20 Most Common Traits of a Psychopath

Last edited:
These three questions may have been answered already. If so, I apologize. I must have blacked out...

1. CR claimed to have had her earbuds on his lap in the car. Do we know what ended up of any of her electronics or earbuds?

2. Do we know if MT ran that section of 385 routinely? I don't believe she would have turned east on that road from Middle and Boundary if she had already been harrassed and/or followed by him. MOO

3. I've seen conflicting reports as to CR's living location. Do we know this yet?

TIA

It’s interesting that this guy is a “migrant” worker on a dairy farm. I’ve lived in Iowa for almost all of my life and have never seen either a migrant worker or a dairy farm here.

I live in Iowa, too and within 10 miles of me there are at least 2 (HUGE) Dairy Farms that I can name (milking up to 700 ish cows 24 hours a day.) There are others that have shut down in the past few years. I have several friends who make their living driving milk trucks from the dairy to wherever they process the raw milk. They don't necessarily hire migrant workers, but a majority of their employees are immigrants from Mexico. I work at the local school and we have many of their children, who learn English when they first come to school.

I used to be embarrassed by my mother sitting on our porch on the phone with her friend whenever a car they didn't recognize parked near our house. Debating whether to call the police or so-and-so's husband who is a retired cop. Now I understand it completely.
I've been thinking it might be a good idea if we all got cameras put up at our homes. Hopefully, their information would never be needed, but how amazing to have it if the occasion ever came up.

While the thread was closed down, I looked up the intersection of Boundary/Middle Rd on Google Maps and also the 1900 block of 385th where they said this abduction happened. Definitely very remote-looking (I couldn't get a street view of 385th but it looked like not many houses around).

My first question was going to be: He said he parked the car and got out and started running with her, so apparently he left his car behind and would have had to incapacitate her and either drag her back to his car or leave her on the road until he got his car, right? I was surprised with that amount of time that no one would have seen anything, but out on that road, I can believe it now.

My second question is, was this a regular running route for her? I guess I was wondering if he started following her and instead of running back towards him/his car, she just kept going farther and farther out of town hoping to lose him/that he would lose interest. Of course, it looks like only a couple miles from DJ's house, so it could very well have been a regular running route.

To me, it looks like Mollie was jogging to her mother's house at 7:30PM, she was halfway there when she was attacked by an opportunistic murderer, she fought hard to get away and didn't succeed. She was left in the corn field later that evening and the clothing found with her body helped with identification.

I'm also perplexed about what exactly happened at Boundary and Middle Str, and at 1900 385 Ave. My guess is that CCTV is from Boundary and Middle Str., and that this is where the suspect first accosted Mollie. I'm guessing that this was her regular route for jogging to her mother's house to collect the car.

I think he stopped, not parked, the car and tried to grab her, and she tried to get away from him. I think he chased her at the abduction site. He admits that she has a head injury which might have happened at the time of abduction, and might have happened at the 1900 385 Ave. location. I find it very hard to believe that she voluntarily ran away from Brooklyn on 385 Ave.

I don't believe that she said anything about calling police. I think the suspect is attempting to blame Mollie for her murder by claiming that she threatened him with police intervention, which in his mind means expulsion to Mexico. He is essentially claiming that if she hadn't threatened to call police, none of this would have happened.

Attachments

• Moliie Abduction.jpg
    Moliie Abduction.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Mollie Abduction 2.jpg
    Mollie Abduction 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 76
They prob. didn't dare say anything because I suspect some/most/all of them may be illegals as well. Just to go to the authorities would put themselves at risk. Plus, if they spoke only Spanish and lived in a communal house/situation would they have even known about MT?
Not sure. Some of them (I.e. girlfriend and mom of his child) even had classes with mollie. I understand they might have been scared because they’re illegal but it was also emphasized that the tip line was totally anonymous.

After the news about CR's immigrant status came out, I figured it would be good to take a brief time out from all public discussion forums. Thank you to Tricia, Harmony and others for taking command so quickly.

That said, I think we will be learning that Mollie wasn't someone that he just happened to come across and casually knew around town. I do think this will end up being a stalker-ish type cases where seeing her around, being connected on FB through friends of friends made him desire her. A number of the women he's friends with on FB are similar to her in physical description. It's pretty easy to see how Mollie could have a magnetic personality, even to someone who casually knows her. I am firmly in the camp that CR desired her, found her or knew she was running alone, and meticulously stalked her until she was in a more desolate spot and then made his move.

I would be extremely surprised if Mollie wasn't sexually assaulted. That would go along with CR longing for and desiring her. He hit on her with the hopes that she'd go with him. She told him no way and she was going to call the police. My guess is he even got freaked out because of his immigrant status and if she did call the PD, he'd be done. The key element here for me is the statement that she took out her phone. Even if she was only threatening to get him away, in his mind the act of taking her phone out told him she was going to do it and if she got away, the PD would track him down and he'd be an illegal immigrant attempting to harass a beloved naturalized citizen.

At that point, I do believe he got angry and scared and decided to take what he wanted and then eliminate her ever telling anyone what happened. Absolutely disgusts me and makes me horrified that Mollie's last moments were in such terror. :( I'm guessing he didn't flee the area because he's in the US illegally and worked a laborer job so it's highly unlikely he had the money to live on the lam and/or go find another job quickly in another city or state.

Something doesn't tally; it didn't in the presser yesterday on the same points you raise. LE looked a bit uncomfortable on that point.
Home security cameras can be VERY VERY grainey (sp). It may have taken a long time to locate people / vehicles and then to enhance the footage so that someone could be identified. It's not like a movie. Many times they use low resolution so they can keep more days history. Also, the camera may not have had low light capability which would be even more difficult. I understood that they had the footage 2 weeks before talking to CR. I do think it would have been easy to pinpoint the time frame they were looking for.

“Rivera then panicked and he got mad and he 'blocked' his memory which is what he does when he gets very upset”

So, he’s acknowledged having black outs due to extreme anger previously. If I were an investigator, I’d be exploring what other things may have may have occurred as results of these “episodes” now that he opened the door.

I think he means that he started raging and violently attacking her, and he calls that a blackout.

To me, it looks like Mollie was jogging to her mother's house at 7:30PM, she was halfway there when she was attacked by an opportunistic murderer, she fought hard to get away and didn't succeed. She was left in the corn field later that evening and the clothing found with her body helped with identification.

I'm also perplexed about what exactly happened at Boundary and Middle Str, and at 1900 385 Ave. My guess is that CCTV is from Boundary and Middle Str., and that this is where the suspect first accosted Mollie. I'm guessing that this was her regular route for jogging to her mother's house to collect the car.

I think he stopped, not parked, the car and tried to grab her, and she tried to get away from him. I think he chased her at the abduction site. He admits that she has a head injury which might have happened at the time of abduction, and might have happened at the 1900 385 Ave. location. I find it very hard to believe that she voluntarily ran away from Brooklyn on 385 Ave.

I don't believe that she said anything about calling police. I think the suspect is attempting to blame Mollie for her murder by claiming that she threatened him with police intervention, which in his mind means expulsion to Mexico. He is essentially claiming that if she hadn't threatened to call police, none of this would have happened.
Yes to all!

Mollies Mom just speaking on HLN.
Said he must have lived under a rock
Said a girl who worked at the grocery store and another business said she never saw him anywhere before
Must have kept a low profile

For some of us, we uptake info from here to use in other settings away from this board. I learned something. I always do when I study another case. It's about lessons learned and maybe preventing something like it from happening again or aiding in other cases. If you don't learn, this is all for naught.
I think the majority of us learn something from every case, but do we really need pages of posts saying "I was right!"? Tuck that information into your brain for future cases.

We have all been together speculating for over a month now. To me, as an amateur sleuth, as most of you are (unless one of the retired cops or current detectives here) reading many different scenarios, it's interesting to look back to whose profiles made the most sense given the facts LE let out. I don't see anything wrong with that. Of course Mollie is in all our minds 24/7. I'm sure many of us are having nightmares, trouble concentrating, and eating. Some of you have been on this website for numerous past cases. You've gotten good at profiling. Hats off to you.

In my opinion we are relying on his statement with respect to her threat to call 911.

This could be a complete fabrication on his part as part of his “story” to blame her reaction for his anger. He could have stopped that car in front of her, jumped out and hit her with a crowbar for all we now right now. Not to mention the adrenaline and other side effects than could be amplified by drug use (no confirmation of that in this case yet). I have seen other cases where a “black out” has been used by suspects to avoid the true details of the crime.

This is my own opinion and speculation.

Of course. But E-Verify does have problems. Here's a recent (June 2018) Congressional Research Service report:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R40446.pdf

I was struck by the number of men who have been arrested who share the same name! It is one thing to track someone who is legal and using aliases. I wonder if CR is his real name? His only name? If he worked at the Dairy for four years doing seasonal work - did he actually work there for the WHOLE 4 years or did he work during a particular season and then work elsewhere for other part of the year?

Wondering if there are other victims??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member