Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to see this perpetrator sucking resources and time and energy in a trial and likely appealing to blackouts/blocking/yada yada, and claims of not understanding things or making Mollie responsible for not saying "Leave me alone" plainly enough. Or whatever his defense will be.

As for 'closure', our society is obsessed with this idea, along with stages, grief on an imaginary linear course, and 'moving on', as if the bereaved are trains leaving a station. None of these ideas are remotely useful to real people who have to integrate traumatic loss into their lives and bear it every day. The Tibbetts family now lives in a different world than anyone else they'll ever meet, other than other families of loved ones who were murdered, and even then, it's so unique to each family and each member of that family. Because who you lost is unique. And how you relate to that forever absence is unique. They're the only ones who can define any of these ideas for themselves, if they even choose to use these terms. Megan Devine, who writes about grief, and in my observation is one of the few credible people doing such writing, once said that "Some things can't be fixed. They can only be carried." That's how it is. Every day.

I estimated expenses for the searc, trial and incarceration for about 54 years to be nearly

$9,000,000.00

Instead hungry children could be fed

Abused kids could be housed

Roads could be repaired

Schools could be fixed

Additional police and fire could be hired

Seniors could be fed, and cared for with respect.

Young adults could go to training or college. Our future could be brighter.

And your suggestion???

I estimated expenses for the searc, trial and incarceration for about 54 years to be nearly

$9,000,000.00

Instead hungry children could be fed

Abused kids could be housed

Roads could be repaired

Schools could be fixed

Additional police and fire could be hired

Seniors could be fed, and cared for with respect.

Young adults could go to training or college. Our future could be brighter.

And your suggestion???

I don't follow here every day anymore, so I may have missed the point of this post, but these are not the days of the wild west, and we do not advocate vigilante justice. We cannot just turn CR loose on the streets and let the public handle him, no matter how appealing that may seem. Iowa does not have the death penalty, so there are limited options. CR can be found not guilty at trial, and turned loose to very possibly kill again, or he can be held accountable for Mollie's murder, and kept behind bars for a period of several years, or, if convicted of 1st degree murder, the rest of his life. IMO, whatever money it takes to prevent him from ever seeing another day of freedom is money well-spent. JMO

Snipped by me, I was thinking about this. I think LE included the fact that he said "he noticed blood on the side of her head" to illustrate he knew she was seriously injured at that point, if not dead. This wasn't like, she tripped and scraped a knee and was fine. He admits he saw blood on the side of her head, likely signaling a serious injury.

If he knows, admits, and says he was aware of causing a serious injury (tackling her and slamming her head into the ground), then he may have killed her before the black out. If they can pinpoint her time and location of death (via the FitBit) to the northwest corner where he admits to attacking her, then his blackout doesn't matter. I think that may be a stretch if they said her COD was sharp force injuries and not blunt force trauma. The autopsy may show serious injury before death though, and the sharp force injuries may have been overkill.

Either way I think it helps them establish felony murder. He admits to assault and battery so severe she is bleeding from her head, and then she dies. That's felony murder. They would not even have to deal with his "black out" because he already intentionally and deliberately assaulted her which started the course of events resulting in her death.

JMO, just thinking outloud.
Yes, felony murder = one of the two basis(es) for Murder in the First Degree, which is what he is charged with. The other basis that is harder to prove is premeditation.
But they don’t need to “go there” with the premeditation when he admitted to seeing her jogging, following her, approaching her, and ..... whatever really happened that he did that left Mollie dead whose body he led LE to).
Paraphrasing, MOO, if he murdered her during the course of committing a felony (e.g., stalking, laying in wait to commit a crime, kidnapping, assault & battery, sexual assault, violent or murderous intent inflicted on another human being, etc. (even if in the “heat of the moment” or during a “memory block” or “rage blackout”)), that’s all they need to convict him of the charge that has him in shackles in jail until trial with something like a $5m bail.
He’s not going to get away with what he did (IMO, which doesn’t matter), but LE & the DA are surefire going to be able to “throw the book at him” for Murder One with what evidence they have.

Yes, felony murder = one of the two basis(es) for Murder in the First Degree, which is what he is charged with. The other basis that is harder to prove is premeditation.
But they don’t need to “go there” with the premeditation when he admitted to seeing her jogging, following her, approaching her, and ..... whatever really happened that he did that left Mollie dead whose body he led LE to).
Paraphrasing, MOO, if he murdered her during the course of committing a felony (e.g., stalking, laying in wait to commit a crime, kidnapping, assault & battery, sexual assault, violent or murderous intent inflicted on another human being, etc. (even if in the “heat of the moment” or during a “memory block” or “rage blackout”)), that’s all they need to convict him of the charge that has him in shackles in jail until trial with something like a $5m bail.
He’s not going to get away with what he did (IMO, which doesn’t matter), but LE & the DA are surefire going to be able to “throw the book at him” for Murder One with what evidence they have.
Actually, if she died while he was committing a felony against her, even by accident, I believe he would still be guilty of first degree murder. I really find it hard to imagine any way they could find a way to convince a jury (or even one member of one) that he didn't attempt to abduct/kidnap her, or assault her (either physical or sexual), so I don't see why he doesn't just plead guilty. MOO

Actually, if she died while he was committing a felony against her, even by accident, I believe he would still be guilty of first degree murder. I really find it hard to imagine any way they could find a way to convince a jury (or even one member of one) that he didn't attempt to abduct/kidnap her, or assault her (either physical or sexual), so I don't see why he doesn't just plead guilty. MOO
Yes, I agree, even if her killing at his hands is painted as an accident, Mollie died during commission of one or more felonies, so the charge stands up very very well (to use a superlative)
IMO the reason he just doesn’t plead guilty is because he’s cannily hoping he can game the system somehow or someway, playing possum possibly, cooperating with LE but not really having admitted to culpability de facto, using the sympathetic arm of the law here in the US (innocent until proven guilty) to bide his time.

But he’s got another think (thing) coming, just wait...

Yes, I agree, even if her killing at his hands is painted as an accident, Mollie died during commission of one or more felonies, so the charge stands up very very well (to use a superlative)
IMO the reason he just doesn’t plead guilty is because he’s cannily hoping he can game the system somehow or someway, playing possum possibly, cooperating with LE but not really having admitted to culpability de facto, using the sympathetic arm of the law here in the US (innocent until proven guilty) to bide his time.

But he’s got another think (thing) coming, just wait...

Can you think of a possible scenario might multiple sharp force injuries might be presented as accidental?

Mollie Tibbetts autopsy finds that she died by 'multiple sharp force injuries' - CNN

On that topic, I’m hopeful the autopsy was able to reveal which of the sharp force injuries would be considered fatal as that’s significant to proving intent. For example an arm wound is not likely to cause death, as opposed to a throat or stomach wound. Otherwise even if it’s determined the totality of the injuries caused eventual death, for example by blood loss, I think LE was quite brilliant to have extracted CR’s tale about dragging and carrying her to the cornfield, then covering her up with stalks. Because if at that point she was mortally wounded and unconscious, he still intentionally caused her death by inflicting the injuries and then leaving her there.

As far as pleading guilty, I don’t think enough time has passed yet. I’m quite certain the State but especially the defence would be required to wait until all the discovery has been obtained by both parties, to ensure the evidence does indeed support his guilt and thereby eliminate the risk of later appeal. The Case Conference isn’t scheduled until December, an indication that the process slowly plods along.

Can you think of a possible scenario might multiple sharp force injuries might be presented as accidental?

Mollie Tibbetts autopsy finds that she died by 'multiple sharp force injuries' - CNN

On that topic, I’m hopeful the autopsy was able to reveal which of the sharp force injuries would be considered fatal as that’s significant to proving intent. For example an arm wound is not likely to cause death, as opposed to a throat or stomach wound. Otherwise even if it’s determined the totality of the injuries caused eventual death, for example by blood loss, I think LE was quite brilliant to have extracted CR’s tale about dragging and carrying her to the cornfield, then covering her up with stalks. Because if at that point she was mortally wounded and unconscious, he still intentionally caused her death by inflicting the injuries and then leaving her there.

As far as pleading guilty, I don’t think enough time has passed yet. I’m quite certain the State but especially the defence would be required to wait until all the discovery has been obtained by both parties, to ensure the evidence does indeed support his guilt and thereby eliminate the risk of later appeal. The Case Conference isn’t scheduled until December, an indication that the process slowly plods along.

I think that the Fit-Bit and phone(s)/On Star tracking data will be key to accurately determining time and place of death. This has the potential to be a landmark case in that regard. I agree with most all that you say above.

"Can you think of a possible scenario where multiple sharp force injuries might be presented as accidental?"

Please don't go up in arms about my answer to this, but this was actually given as a defence to a multiple wound stabbing in New Orleans, as to why it was accidental:

"I fell down a bunch of times with the knife in my hand, and he must have been under me in the dark." (or words to that effect - I'm not making this up, but I did not hear it first hand...)

So, let's stop looking at the confession as if it is gospel. It says only what LE chose to share with the court and the public, and nothing more!

A key rule, repeated to me by many attorneys in prep for my testimony in open court, as an expert witness or in deposition as the same was: "Never answer a question asked by opposing counsel with anything more than what is absolutely necessary!

Don't elaborate, don't run on, don't give extraneous information, don't try to be the smartest guy in the room. (In other words, the exact opposite to the way I behave on WS!).

You are there to give answers to specific questions, not give out information. (Sometimes I did not follow this sage advice, once with hilarious and very successful result in front of a Jury)

LE's internal Miranda mantra, to themselves when filling out a Warrant application is: Once you write it down, it is real. Anything you write can and will be used by opposing counsel to impeach, humiliate, and discredit you, in open court. The briefer the better. The less specific the better. The more vague the better. Better for you to have plenty of wriggle room when the opposing counsel tries to pin you down to HIS narrative in open court, in front of a Jury.

And yeah, you can't out and out lie; you gotta tell the truth, but not necessarily all of it, or all at once!

Let's set aside the synopsis of CR's confession as contained in the arrest warrant, for the magnificent construct of ambiguity that it is.

Please allow me spin another narrative that answers the question originally presented above.

I know that somewhen, I heard Rick Rahm say that CR tackled MT as he ran up on her, which makes perfect sense. How else would you take down a running person? Aside from sweeping her legs from under her, or by clothesline-ing her. Now we are solidly in the "blocked out" area of the crime's time line.

Now suppose that CR had an open knife in his hand as he overtook MT. (If this was the case, it would go a long way to validate premeditation and intent). The rest of my narrative is obvious.

CR took MT down in a tackle, he had the knife in his hand as they fell, though he did not mean to, he stabbed her as they fell. (Now, here is where the story gets stupid). CR then tried to stand up, with the knife still in his hand, MT fighting kicked his feet out from under him, causing him to fall down, and accidently stab MT again (this may have had to have happened several times in a row to account for all the stab wounds).

OR, the first "accidental" stab wound was fatal, and CR later committed abuse of a corpse (at the "hog farm"?) when he repeatedly stabbed her dead body in anger, because he broke his new toy before he got to play with it!

There you go, a plausible alternative scenario that fits into the blocked out zone, and which supports a Murder Two conviction instead of Murder One.

This is the kind of narrative that could plant reasonable doubt in a Jury's mind. The defence only needs to convince a single juror to cause a hung jury, and a possible plea deal for Murder Two and 50 years instead of a second trial. Or, if the defense can plant enough reasonable doubt, in enough jurors minds, then perhaps a Murder Two charge with the first trial, and fifty years instead of life.

Do I think that will happen? No I don't, but anything is possible. And the Jury, not WS'ers will decide.

Time will tell...

JIMHIOO

Last edited:
I think that the Fit-Bit and phone(s)/On Star tracking data will be key to accurately determining time and place of death. This has the potential to be a landmark case in that regard. I agree with most all that you say above.

"Can you think of a possible scenario where multiple sharp force injuries might be presented as accidental?"

Please don't go up in arms about my answer to this, but this was actually given as a defence to a multiple wound stabbing in New Orleans, as to why it was accidental:

"I fell down a bunch of times with the knife in my hand, and he must have been under me in the dark." (or words to that effect - I'm not making this up, but I did not hear it first hand...)

So, let's stop looking at the confession as if it is gospel. It says only what LE chose to share with the court and the public, and nothing more!

A key rule, repeated to me by many attorneys in prep for my testimony in open court as an expert witness or in deposition as the same was: "Never answer a question asked by opposing counsel with anything more than what is absolutely necessary.

Don't elaborate, don't run on, don't give extraneous information, don't try to be the smartest guy in the room. (In other words, the exact opposite to the way I behave on WS).

You are there to give answers to specific questions, not give out information. (Sometimes I did not follow this sage advice, once with hilarious and very successful result in front if a Jury)

LE's internal Miranda mantra, to themselves when filling out a Warrant application is: Once you write it down, it is real. Anything you write can and will be used by opposing counsel to impeach, humiliate, and discredit you, in open court. The briefer the better. The less specific the better. The more vague the better. Better for you to have plenty of wriggle room when the opposing counsel tries to pin you down to HIS narrative in open court, in front of a Jury.

And yeah, you can't out and out lie; you gotta tell the truth, but not necessarily all of it, or all at once!

Let's set aside the synopsis of CR's confession as contained in the arrest warrant, for the magnificent construct of ambiguity that it is.

Please allow me spin another narrative that answers the question originally presented above.

I know that somewhen, I heard Rick Rahm say that CR tackled tackled MT as he ran up on her, which makes perfect sense. How else would you take down a running person, aside from sweeping their legs from under them, or by clothesline-ing her. Now we are solidly in the "blocked out" area of the crime's time line.

Now suppose that CR had an open knife in his hand as he overtook MT. (If this was the case, it would go a long way to validate premeditation and intent). The rest of my narrative is obvious.

CR took MT down in a tackle, he had the knife in his hand as they fell, though he did not mean to, he stabbed her as they fell (now, here is where the story gets stupid). CR then tried to stand up, with the knife still in his hand, MT fighting kicked his feet out from under him, causing him to fall down, and accidently stab MT again (this may have had to have happened several times to account for all the stab wounds.

OR, the first "accidental" stab wound was fatal, and CR later committed abuse of a corpse when he repeatedly stabbed her dead body in anger because be broke his new toy before he got to play with it!

There you go, a plausible alternative scenario that fits into the blocked out zone, and which supports a Murder Two conviction instead of Murder One.

This is the kind of narrative that could plant reasonable doubt in a Jury's mind. The defence only needs to convince a single juror to cause a hung jury, and a possible plea deal for Murder Two and 50 years instead of a second trial. Or, if the defense can plant enough reasonable doubt, in enough jurors minds, then perhaps a Murder Two charge with the first trial, and fifty years instead of life.

Do I think that will happen? No I don't, but anything is possible. And the Jury, not WS'ers will decide.

Time will tell...
I'm too lazy to snip or bold tonight, so I'll just say I'm responding to something you said there! CR's black out/blocked memories, or whatever it is, causes a bit of a problem for his defense. If your story had happened, he couldn't try to use it as a defense because he'd have to admit that he remembered more than he admitted earlier. I don't even believe he should be able to say that she ran away and he chased after her if he says he blocked out the memory from the time she said she threatened to call the police, but I know I've read that he did say that. It seems that playing ignorant isn't as easy as it would seem to be. MOO

I'm too lazy to snip or bold tonight, so I'll just say I'm responding to something you said there! CR's black out/blocked memories, or whatever it is, causes a bit of a problem for his defense. If your story had happened, he couldn't try to use it as a defense because he'd have to admit that he remembered more than he admitted earlier. I don't even believe he should be able to say that she ran away and he chased after her if he says he blocked out the memory from the time she said she threatened to call the police, but I know I've read that he did say that. It seems that playing ignorant isn't as easy as it would seem to be. MOO

...."block out" implies to me a conscious act more related to not wanting to recall an unpleasant event....

However, to play devil's advocate here, PTSD event related amnesia can be variable in duration, and may clear to varying degrees with time and triggers. (This is all pop-psychology babble, but an expert witness can be found to support it for a fee, and only a lay jury has to buy into it, not a trained clinical psychologist!)

So, while I agree with what you are saying, with CR's original narrative, with the passage of time and a "partial" clearing of CR's memory some elements of the "black out" period could be introduced as CR's best recall to that point. With this narrative, CR could selectively pick and choose what he cares to remember and forget.

The question is, could he carry off the lie in the witness box, under cross exam, or could it actually become a Perry Mason moment in open court? One could only hope!

JIMHIOO!

I don't follow here every day anymore, so I may have missed the point of this post, but these are not the days of the wild west, and we do not advocate vigilante justice. We cannot just turn CR loose on the streets and let the public handle him, no matter how appealing that may seem. Iowa does not have the death penalty, so there are limited options. CR can be found not guilty at trial, and turned loose to very possibly kill again, or he can be held accountable for Mollie's murder, and kept behind bars for a period of several years, or, if convicted of 1st degree murder, the rest of his life. IMO, whatever money it takes to prevent him from ever seeing another day of freedom is money well-spent. JMO

MOO...the person posting may have been referring to his illegal status and suggesting that he be deported, rather than U.S. tax payers footing the bill? That's just one interpretation of the post.

...."block out" implies to me a conscious act more related to not wanting to recall an unpleasant event....

However, to play devil's advocate here, PTSD event related amnesia can be variable in duration, and may clear to varying degrees with time and triggers. (This is all pop-psychology babble, but an expert witness can be found to support it for a fee, and only a lay jury has to buy into it, not a trained clinical psychologist!)

So, while I agree with what you are saying, with CR's original narrative, with the passage of time and a "partial" clearing of CR's memory some elements of the "black out" period could be introduced as CR's best recall to that point. With this narrative, CR could selectively pick and choose what he cares to remember and forget.

The question is, could he carry off the lie in the witness box, under cross exam, or could it actually become a Perry Mason moment in open court? One could only hope!

JIMHIOO!

I think CRs confession is important for a couple of reasons. Given the magnitude of LE reportedly working on the case, there’s no indication the interrogation and arrest of CR was bungled in any way. It’s been stated CR was cooperative and willing to talk. What he told LE fit within the timeline they’d already estabkished, presumable offering a measure of truthfullness to his statements.

So what I can’t wrap my head around is why someone would willingly implicate themselves in a scenario beginning with stalking, to chasing, to tackling, to transporting and hiding the body of a murdered young woman in a cornfield, no plea bargain, no waiver of death penalty. Then would later become motivated to testify, spinning a new highly fabricated tale at trial to back away from everything they’d already admitted. Many of the creative, hypothetical defences here are common to a defendant who denies, denies, denies right from the beginning any involvement in the alleged murder. But in my opinion, it just doesn’t fit with the scenario of an accused who has already confessed. The reason why initial statements are important evidence is because if a defendant does choose to spin another tale later, it’s proves a character prone to lies and deception and absolutely nothing they say can be believed.

I’m still leaning toward CR intends to plead guilty. While this could be considered a high profile case, what makes it so is the potential opportunity for politicization, not the facts or complexity.

JMO

JIMHIOO!
Yes, I think of blocking out an unpleasant memory as an intended, conscious action as well. I have always thought that he actually meant he blacked out. Meaning the medical form of having a lapse of memory. Even so, I don't see how they can convince a jury if this without sufficient medical history or medical tests to back if up. Have they found something new to support this?

I think CRs confession is important for a couple of reasons. Given the magnitude of LE reportedly working on the case, there’s no indication the interrogation and arrest of CR was bungled in any way. It’s been stated CR was cooperative and willing to talk. What he told LE fit within the timeline they’d already estabkished, presumable offering a measure of truthfullness to his statements.

So what I can’t wrap my head around is why someone would willingly implicate themselves in a scenario beginning with stalking, to chasing, to tackling, to transporting and hiding the body of a murdered young woman in a cornfield, no plea bargain, no waiver of death penalty. Then would later become motivated to testify, spinning a new highly fabricated tale at trial to back away from everything they’d already admitted. Many of the creative, hypothetical defences here are common to a defendant who denies, denies, denies right from the beginning any involvement in the alleged murder. But in my opinion, it just doesn’t fit with the scenario of an accused who has already confessed. The reason why initial statements are important evidence is because if a defendant does choose to spin another tale later, it’s proves a character prone to lies and deception and absolutely nothing they say can be believed.

I’m still leaning toward CR intends to plead guilty. While this could be considered a high profile case, what makes it so is the potential opportunity for politicization, not the facts or complexity.

JMO
I thought he had already pled not guilty. Is that not accurate?

There are many reasons why he would not plead guilty. First, it is the duty and responsibility for his lawyer to get him a lesser charge, second, it opens up the opportunity for the prosecuter to offer a plea deal, saving the expense of a long trial, and also if they feel there is not enough physical evidence, and in this case if they go with the story of his alleged block out, or some medical reason for loss of memory, they may believe they can get a lesser charge. All my opinion but according to everything I have read or heard, it is very common to plead not guilty even if it seems clear that the defendent committed the murder. It doesn't seem unusual in this case.

Yes, he has pled "Not Guilty, and there will be NO Guilty plea in this case.

The reason for this is that there is too much money and fame to be made, by all professional involved, in practicing the tools of the Barristers trade..

(CHORUS)

And it's 1- 2 - 3 , what are we fightin' for?.....

CR is considered innocent in the eyes of the law until such time as he’s proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law. So at this point in time he has every right to declare he’s not guilty although he can change his plea later as pleas are not written in stone. Plea bargains can even occur during a trial in view of overwhelming evidence, if the State is willing to negotiate.

So at this early stage of proceedings, it’d be irresponsible for a defence team to allow a client to plead guilty prior to having access to all the evidence that supports his proclaimed guilt. Because what if by some remote chance the evidence proves somebody else committed the crime and their client is totally innocent? And aside from that, CRs in jail already so it’s not as if there’s a cause for urgency while the judicial process slowly churns its wheels.

JIMHIOO!
Don't ask me, I don't give a ...

Anyway. I'd be interested in knowing what his childhood was like, especially if he was the victim of, or witness to, a lot of traumatic events when he was growing up. I was diagnosed with C-PTSD (which is complex PTSD), and I did have a lot of the explosive anger when I was younger, and even more of the blackouts. People keep talking about him just purposely blocking the events from his mind, but that's not nearly as easy as it sounds. Try purposely forgetting something some time; the harder you try to forget, the stronger the memory becomes because you're so focused on it. Blacking out or dissociating is usually a learned behavior from childhood. Sometimes there's nothing else a child can do to escape something traumatic happening to or around them, and they end up leaving mentally because they can't leave physically. This is a "good" coping mechanism for a child who has no other alternatives, but stops being useful when the child becomes an adult it can keep them in unhealthy situations. If he really did have a black out, he needs a lot of therapy and should be locked up anyway - if not in prison than a psychiatric facility for "the criminally insane". The blackouts don't go away on their own, and neither do the attacks of rage, which means he'd be a real danger to others if he continued to live as he has been.

I still have no idea if he remembers or not, but in my mind, it doesn't really matter. He needs to be off the streets for a very long time, and most likely for life either way. MOO

Yes, he has pled "Not Guilty, and there will be NO Guilty plea in this case.

The reason for this is that there is too much money and fame to be made, by all professional involved, in practicing the tools of the Barristers trade..

(CHORUS)

And it's 1- 2 - 3 , what are we fightin' for?.....

How does representing an illegal immigrant put money and fame on the table? On the remote chance CR is found not guilty, he’d be deported back to a country where he already chose not to reside.

As for future business from local citizens including legal immigrants, I can invision a negative impact whereby they’d chose to disassociate themselves to attorneys who’s claim to fame was adamantly representing an accused with a status opposite to their own residency. Alternately, I think a guilty plea by CR would have the opposite effect as the role of defence attourneys is really not to convince a jury a guilty client is innocent - it’s to protect their clients interest and ensure the law is applied fairly.

There are many reasons why he would not plead guilty. First, it is the duty and responsibility for his lawyer to get him a lesser charge, second, it opens up the opportunity for the prosecuter to offer a plea deal, saving the expense of a long trial, and also if they feel there is not enough physical evidence, and in this case if they go with the story of his alleged block out, or some medical reason for loss of memory, they may believe they can get a lesser charge. All my opinion but according to everything I have read or heard, it is very common to plead not guilty even if it seems clear that the defendent committed the murder. It doesn't seem unusual in this case.

If it’s a duty of a defence lawyer to get an accused a lesser charge, what happens when they don’t? Wouldn’t that be ineffective council, if an attorney fails to perform their duty?

Ethics and Professional Responsibility - Criminal Defense Wiki

It’s also become very common for defendants to go to trial simply to test the prosecution’s evidence because everyone has the right to a public trial that determines their guilt as opposed to outrightly admitting guilt. If the State isn’t interested in negotiating any sort of plea bargain, this could occur here as well. In trials such as this, the defence focuses on the integrity of the prosecution’s evidence but presents no defence witnesses or evidence.

So just because CR has plead not guilty, if the case goes to trial it doesn’t mean he is obliged to come up with an alternate scenario to prove his innocence. Just the opposite - the onus is on the prosecution to prove his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
  • The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.”
Presumption of innocence - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads