GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • 5/20 sees himself on the news, calls his father on a landline. Father puts him on phone with a detective. Goes to a hotel - Vanessa signs for hotel room.
  • 5/21 leaves NY for DC around 7Am, back in DC by noon. Goes with Darrell to Garnett's house, then to breakfast place, then to hotel. Darrell paid for room. DW in contact with lawyer, Darrell supposed to get lawyer to meet to turn himself in. Used flip phone to make calls during this time. Darrell returns around 9-10PM. DW says he smelled like smoke because of cigarettes.

From Patricia's notes^^^^:

I do see one potential flaw in the story.

So Daron sees on TV News that the nation is looking for him, for a quadruple killing. And that is because his brother BETRAYED him and committed that crime, and tricked him into being there etc...

and so he leaves NYC and meets up with his brother? The same one that just framed him? He is expecting help from the person that is guilty of the crime and is blaming him for it?

So then he drives around with Darryl and relies upon him for help?

Did he tell LE right then why his van was there, which was because his brother borrowed it?

• 5/20 sees himself on the news, calls his father on a landline. Father puts him on phone with a detective. Goes to a hotel - Vanessa signs for hotel room.
  • 5/21 leaves NY for DC around 7Am, back in DC by noon. Goes with Darrell to Garnett's house, then to breakfast place, then to hotel. Darrell paid for room. DW in contact with lawyer, Darrell supposed to get lawyer to meet to turn himself in. Used flip phone to make calls during this time. Darrell returns around 9-10PM. DW says he smelled like smoke because of cigarettes.

From Patricia's notes^^^^:

I do see one potential flaw in the story.

So Daron sees on TV News that the nation is looking for him, for a quadruple killing. And that is because his brother BETRAYED him and committed that crime, and tricked him into being there etc...

and so he leaves NYC and meets up with his brother? The same one that just framed him? He is expecting help from the person that is guilty of the crime and is blaming him for it?

So then he drives around with Darryl and relies upon him for help?

Did he tell LE right then why his van was there, which was because his brother borrowed it?
I agree this is a major flaw! The prosecutor asked questions like, "You were so upset with Darrell but you got in the car with him," "You saw the news story about the fire and you knew it was connected to Darrell and yet you went to Walmart with him" (paraphrasing)- DW didn't have a good answer for these questions.

His mother and sisters in Guyana gave him money periodically.
Snipped by me.

A grown man in the USA is partially supported by his mom and sisters in another country? They send him money instead of the other way around? I'm all for family helping family, but being sent to jail for the rest of his life might be the best thing that happens to him. No need to support yourself there.

jmopinion

snip:
DW went to the Porsche after eating pizza and found his backpack and phone. Went into garage as Darrell told him to meet him there.

DW realizes he left his backpack at the house on Woodland
Re: DW realizes he left his backpack at the house on Woodland

So, DW left his backpack at the S house on Woodland.
Presuming he left the backpack in the garage because he retrieved the backpack from the Porsche after he ate the pizza.
No mention of DW's backpack being introduced as trial evidence.

snip:

Presuming he left the backpack in the garage because he retrieved the backpack from the Porsche after he ate the pizza.
They didn't introduce the backpack as evidence today. I got to court early this morning to get a seat, and I was there when a court employee wheeled in boxes of evidence. I tried to peek at the boxes and I noticed one was labeled black string backpack (or something like that) - I was hoping they would introduce it, but they did not. Maybe another day?

On the morning that Daryl supposedly picked up DW and said he needed the van for a paining job, did Daryl have
painting equipment/supplies, like a dozen cans of paint, ladders and brushes and tarps for the job?

Why would DW believe that he was gong to do a painting job, without those supplies?

And why would he think his brother would take on a big job and not want his help? Painting is a 2 man job if it is going to be profitable. JMO It is much faster, easier and better with 2 people.

ETA: I guess it's possible that Daryl could say the people already have the paint and brushes etc there at the work site. But if so, why would they need a van for the job?

Last edited:
Two questions @patriciah

-Garnett? I missed that.

- When LE found the Porsche on fire- was the passenger seat reclined at a 45 degree angle??

Thanks for all this incredible info!!

JMO
BBM

They mentioned Garnett (might be spelled Garnette) twice - on 5/13, DW and Darrell went to Garnett Williams' house in Silver Spring, after Darrell told DW he didn't need him to work that day, and before Darrell dropped DW at Ed's house. The prosecutor mentioned DW having access to Darrell's phone records during this line of questioning, so I'm guessing Darrell's phone pinged in Silver Spring or thereabouts. She also mentioned DW having access to Garnett's transcript (transcript of what, I don't know?). Garnett was also mentioned in the 5/21 timeline - 5/21 DW returns to MD/DC from NY, Darrell drives him to Garnett's house, then breakfast place, then hotel.

I don't know the answer about the Porsche seat.

Last edited:
They mentioned Garnett twice - on 5/13, DW and Darrell went to Garnett Williams' house in Silver Spring, after Darrell told DW he didn't need him to work that day, and before Darrell dropped DW at Ed's house. The prosecutor mentioned DW having access to Darrell's phone records during this line of questioning, so I'm guessing Darrell's phone pinged in Silver Spring or thereabouts. She also mentioned DW having access to Garnett's transcript (transcript of what, I don't know?). Garnett was also mentioned in the 5/21 timeline - 5/21 DW returns to MD/DC from NY, Darrell drives him to Garnett's house, then breakfast place, then hotel.

I don't know the answer about the Porsche seat.

Thanks !! @patriciah

snip:

Yes - that is confusing. What backpack??

jmo

ETA: I forgot about the string backpack.

Last edited:
What exactly is the deal with the van? Why did it have to be burned?

(Can't believe I'm so far into this case and still confused.)

jmo
Megan Cloherty on Twitter
Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP
Wint testimony: He told Darrell he had to take the van since it’s linked to the crime and pay him for it. Darrell gave him $6k. When Darrell hadn’t picked up van by Friday, Daron asked a friend to help him burn it. Says next am it was gone from driveway. Says he didn’t burn it.

Megan Cloherty on Twitter
Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP
Wint testimony: He told Darrell he had to take the van since it’s linked to the crime and pay him for it. Darrell gave him $6k. When Darrell hadn’t picked up van by Friday, Daron asked a friend to help him burn it. Says next am it was gone from driveway. Says he didn’t burn it.
Right - but in what way does DW say the van was linked to the crime. Is he saying his brother drove it to the mansion, transported people, got blood in it....what is the link?

Sorry to belabor this but I don't get the link.

The van, as far as we know, was parked all day in D.C. According to DW's version, the van was somehow used by his brother but doesn't explain how the van was used. Then, the van is burned.

I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members