Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mystery of the strangled billionaires
In an unpublished 1996 memoir, Barry Sherman wrote he had "always been very conscious of my personal mortality".
His unfinished musings only became public because of a court case . They revealed a man with strong beliefs - that there is no God, free will is an illusion, and life has "no meaning or purpose".
But Sherman thought these memoirs may one day be of interest to others - a "perhaps arrogant belief", he wrote.
Now, the text offers some insight into a couple whose mysterious deaths have captured worldwide interest and left those who knew them grief-stricken and dumbfounded.
Barry’s “A Legacy if Thoughts” was given to one person: me.
It was his way of answering my questions. He wrote it while on holiday in South Africa.
It’s full of lies!!!!

I haven’t followed this thread for sometime now so if what I am posting is a repeat of what’s already been said then please forgive me. But I’m currently reading The Skripal Files about the near death of the Russian Sergei Skripal who spied for the British against his home country of Russia. Earlier this year, an attempt on his and his daughters life was made using an alleged cocktail of ‘Novichok’.
Anyway, to get to my point, during this book it talks about Russias FSB and GRU ( of which Putin was head before he became President) and one of the methods employed when taking somebody out is to incapacitate immediately by whatever means and tie hands behind their back and pull down the shoulders of their coat to the top of their arms ( which effectively massively restricts their movements).
I read at the start of this case that something similar was the position that Barry and Honey Sherman were found in . If that’s correct then this from my perspective has the air of being a professional hit ! MOO

Or, the coats could have been pulled down slightly to allow for the ligature to strangle them. A winter coat would/could be in the way. After death and positioning, the coats would/could slip further down due to lack of muscle tone and gravitational pull.

I also think they were incapacitated as they came into the house.

Or, the coats could have been pulled down slightly to allow for the ligature to strangle them. A winter coat would/could be in the way. After death and positioning, the coats would/could slip further down due to lack of muscle tone and gravitational pull.

I also think they were incapacitated as they came into the house.
So Honey was kept in here winter coat for several hours while they waited for Barry to come home?

Read what he said. He was talking about a reward from the Sherman family, not the police.

The key thing here is that the family showed a lot of interest initially and spent a ton of money to get this ruled a homicide. Since then, nothing. I think the obvious answer is that they are likely aware this whole thing is a charade and don't want to draw any attention to it.
Once again.....well said Andreww!!!!!

The key thing here is that the family showed a lot of interest initially and spent a ton of money to get this ruled a homicide. Since then, nothing. I think the obvious answer is that they are likely aware this whole thing is a charade and don't want to draw any attention to it.

Nonsense, IMO.

So Honey was kept in here winter coat for several hours while they waited for Barry to come home?
The time difference between when the couple each reportedly left the Apo office, was max 3 hours. H may have already been killed by the time B arrived home. We have heard speculation that H was dead longer than B. I don't believe it was the killer's aim to make H more comfy, either alive or dead. imo.

The time difference between when the couple each reportedly left the Apo office, was max 3 hours. H may have already been killed by the time B arrived home. We have heard speculation that H was dead longer than B. I don't believe it was the killer's aim to make H more comfy, either alive or dead. imo.

Yes, also if their wrists were bound, as one of the news reports indicates there’s supporting evidence for and if each were attacked and restrained immediately upon arriving home at separate times.....it’d be impossible for either they or the killer to remove their winter coats without removal of wrist bindings first.

Yes, also if their wrists were bound, as one of the news reports indicates there’s supporting evidence for and if each were attacked and restrained immediately upon arriving home at separate times.....it’d be impossible for either they or the killer to remove their winter coats without removal of wrist bindings first.

Excellent reasoning MistyWaters. It is the most reasonable explanation as to why they both died wearing coats.

Satchie wrote on thread #8: !!
It's not remotely funny, but this suggested theory cracks me up. "Your honour, my client is no murderer.
I have suggested and believe that after my cousin murdered Honey, a number of hours passed before he took his life.
Honey was killed somewhere else in the house, her body was moved to the pool area. Obviously, dead prior to the belt.
I also believe that he had help moving her body and “staging” the suicide pact: which was his intention....make it look like 2 lovers ending their lives together.
Still....no reward money offered by the Sherman family?!?!

And no goodbye forever note for what’s supposed to look like 2 lovers ending their lives together? It could’ve been a convincing factor in your scenario, Barry involving a helper and what not. Why do you think he’d have overlooked that significant detail?

Unrelated to this case, but noting because the intended victim is similar to the Shermans in that he is a billionaire, a Holocaust survivor, a philanthropist, and liberal gov. supporter with a number of enemies, fwiw, imo, speculation.
Bomb found in mailbox of George Soros' New York home - Jewish Telegraphic Agency
"Bomb found in mailbox of George Soros’ New York home
October 23, 2018"
An explosive device was found in the mailbox outside of the New York home of Jewish billionaire George Soros.

The device found Monday was detonated by a police bomb squad, The New York Times reported."
"Soros, a Hungary-born Holocaust survivor, is a left-leaning donor to the Democrats and other liberal causes in the United States, Europe and Israel."

And no goodbye forever note for what’s supposed to look like 2 lovers ending their lives together? It could’ve been a convincing factor in your scenario, Barry involving a helper and what not. Why do you think he’d have overlooked that significant detail?
I have to agree that Barry seemed smart enough to have written a suicide note, IF it was either a double suicide, OR a M/S trying to appear as something else. The grotesque way in which they were presented to the finder of the bodies might surely appear to be a personal and unprofessional 'hit' - the first ones to be looked at would be his own beloved heirs. Surely he would not want them subjected to police investigation for potential murder, on top of suddenly losing both of their parents. It's not like he didn't have that extra couple of minutes to pen something in his own writing. imo.

Oct 24 2018
Private investigators probing Sherman murders to provide update on case
"Private investigators probing Sherman murders to provide update on case"
"The news conference at 2 p.m. on Friday will be held at the headquarters of the Apotex pharmaceutical corporation founded by Barry Sherman.

According to a media advisory, family lawyer Brian Greenspan and several members of the private investigative team will be on hand to provide the update."

Huge article!
Oct 24 2018
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
"Last December, a Canadian pharmaceuticals executive and his wife were strangled in their home.

No one knows who did it or why, but everyone has a theory.

By Matthew Campbell"

"A Winter’s Tale
The person with the most obvious reason to confront Sherman at the time of his death was almost certainly his estranged cousin, Kerry Winter. Winter and his siblings—the children of Louis, who’d hired Sherman at Empire Laboratories in the 1960s—spent much of the past decade fighting Sherman in court, claiming he’d concealed a provision in his acquisition of Empire that would have let them buy 20 percent of its shares if certain conditions were met. They further argued that Apotex wouldn’t have existed without Empire to build upon—and that they should therefore receive the same proportion of Apotex, or the cash equivalent. But then the judge threw out their claim, finding that Sherman had acted properly and that any such provision disappeared with his sale of Empire. The timing of the ruling, so close to the murders, looked suspicious to just about everyone involved—something Winter well understood.

I first spoke to Winter in late April, when I called him to ask if we could meet in Toronto. He was initially enthusiastic, but when I later tried to confirm our appointment, he was hesitant. “I’ve been told I’m a prime suspect,” he said, almost apologetically, asking that I give him time to consult with his lawyer before he committed to an interview. Two days later he emailed, suggesting lunch at United Bakers, a vast canteen devoted to Ashkenazi comfort food in a heavily Jewish neighborhood. He gave me the address, unnecessarily—I’d been there dozens of times as a child for potato latkes and split-pea soup.

Winter arrived alone, looking slim and much younger than his 56 years, wearing a navy blue polo shirt and jeans under a slightly frayed Nike windbreaker. He ordered a niçoise salad; I stuck to the hits, with a platter of lox and a bagel. After Sherman’s sale of Empire, Winter told me, the four siblings lost touch with their cousin for years. When they reconnected in 1988, Kerry was addicted to crack cocaine; his brother Dana was also struggling with drug addiction. Sherman reacted with generosity, writing checks and bankrolling his troubled kin’s business ideas. Kerry got clean, got married, and went to work building homes, developing a close relationship with Sherman along the way. (Dana was less fortunate, dying of a heroin overdose in 1995.) The amounts involved were substantial: According to court filings, Kerry alone received about C$8 million in help over the years.

“When I sued him, I broke

his F---ing heart”

Sherman became a sort of substitute father, Winter said, filling the void left by Louis’s death. Eventually, though, he and his siblings grew suspicious of Sherman’s motives. They began seeking documentation from the sale of Empire and became convinced that he owed them far more. “Barry Sherman was bribing me,” Winter recalled. “I grew to hate him.” The Winters first sued Sherman in 2007. Sherman fought back hard, cutting off his cousins financially and countersuing to recover the funds he’d provided. “When I sued him,” Winter said, “I broke his f---ing heart.” (He and his siblings continue to press their claims against the Sherman estate, though their legal options are narrowing. An appeal was thrown out in August.)

“I had plenty of opportunity—and motive—to kill Barry,” Winter acknowledged. He’d been working as a supervisor on building sites, where “nobody’s watching me. I don’t punch in, I don’t punch out. I start my day when I want, I leave when I want. I take lunch when I want. … But I didn’t do it. It’s the truth.” On the night of Dec. 13, he said, “I watched Peaky Blinders. I like Netflix. I went to a Cocaine Anonymous meeting, every Wednesday I go.” The fact that Winter was still free suggested the police, who’d interviewed him at length earlier this year, accepted this alibi.

He was convinced the true culprit was obvious: Sherman himself. His first reaction when he heard the news, he said, was, “I can’t believe it. He finally snapped.” In Winter’s telling, the Shermans’ marriage was rocky, and his cousin’s outward kindnesses masked a capacity for wrath. “When he lost his temper, the ceiling would shake,” Winter said."

Huge article!
Oct 24 2018
"Last December, a Canadian pharmaceuticals executive and his wife were strangled in their home.

No one knows who did it or why, but everyone has a theory.

By Matthew Campbell"

"A Winter’s Tale
The person with the most obvious reason to confront Sherman at the time of his death was almost certainly his estranged cousin, Kerry Winter. Winter and his siblings—the children of Louis, who’d hired Sherman at Empire Laboratories in the 1960s—spent much of the past decade fighting Sherman in court, claiming he’d concealed a provision in his acquisition of Empire that would have let them buy 20 percent of its shares if certain conditions were met. They further argued that Apotex wouldn’t have existed without Empire to build upon—and that they should therefore receive the same proportion of Apotex, or the cash equivalent. But then the judge threw out their claim, finding that Sherman had acted properly and that any such provision disappeared with his sale of Empire. The timing of the ruling, so close to the murders, looked suspicious to just about everyone involved—something Winter well understood.

I first spoke to Winter in late April, when I called him to ask if we could meet in Toronto. He was initially enthusiastic, but when I later tried to confirm our appointment, he was hesitant. “I’ve been told I’m a prime suspect,” he said, almost apologetically, asking that I give him time to consult with his lawyer before he committed to an interview. Two days later he emailed, suggesting lunch at United Bakers, a vast canteen devoted to Ashkenazi comfort food in a heavily Jewish neighborhood. He gave me the address, unnecessarily—I’d been there dozens of times as a child for potato latkes and split-pea soup.

Winter arrived alone, looking slim and much younger than his 56 years, wearing a navy blue polo shirt and jeans under a slightly frayed Nike windbreaker. He ordered a niçoise salad; I stuck to the hits, with a platter of lox and a bagel. After Sherman’s sale of Empire, Winter told me, the four siblings lost touch with their cousin for years. When they reconnected in 1988, Kerry was addicted to crack cocaine; his brother Dana was also struggling with drug addiction. Sherman reacted with generosity, writing checks and bankrolling his troubled kin’s business ideas. Kerry got clean, got married, and went to work building homes, developing a close relationship with Sherman along the way. (Dana was less fortunate, dying of a heroin overdose in 1995.) The amounts involved were substantial: According to court filings, Kerry alone received about C$8 million in help over the years.

“When I sued him, I broke

his F---ing heart”

Sherman became a sort of substitute father, Winter said, filling the void left by Louis’s death. Eventually, though, he and his siblings grew suspicious of Sherman’s motives. They began seeking documentation from the sale of Empire and became convinced that he owed them far more. “Barry Sherman was bribing me,” Winter recalled. “I grew to hate him.” The Winters first sued Sherman in 2007. Sherman fought back hard, cutting off his cousins financially and countersuing to recover the funds he’d provided. “When I sued him,” Winter said, “I broke his f---ing heart.” (He and his siblings continue to press their claims against the Sherman estate, though their legal options are narrowing. An appeal was thrown out in August.)

“I had plenty of opportunity—and motive—to kill Barry,” Winter acknowledged. He’d been working as a supervisor on building sites, where “nobody’s watching me. I don’t punch in, I don’t punch out. I start my day when I want, I leave when I want. I take lunch when I want. … But I didn’t do it. It’s the truth.” On the night of Dec. 13, he said, “I watched Peaky Blinders. I like Netflix. I went to a Cocaine Anonymous meeting, every Wednesday I go.” The fact that Winter was still free suggested the police, who’d interviewed him at length earlier this year, accepted this alibi.

He was convinced the true culprit was obvious: Sherman himself. His first reaction when he heard the news, he said, was, “I can’t believe it. He finally snapped.” In Winter’s telling, the Shermans’ marriage was rocky, and his cousin’s outward kindnesses masked a capacity for wrath. “When he lost his temper, the ceiling would shake,” Winter said."

@ Kerry, is this the American media report you expected to drop the bombshell exposing ”The Truth (according to you)”? Because I’m sure you noticed it didn’t. Or are we still waiting?

“......The police, Winter argued, had been pressured by the Shermans’ heirs and their allies into abandoning their initial murder-suicide theory, embarking on a sham investigation to preserve the memory of a well-connected philanthropist owed favors even in death. He spoke at times with the quiet intensity of a conspiracy theorist, telling me he was worried that “they” were going to stop him from talking to me, perhaps by putting “bracelets on me and charging me for a double murder.” When emphasizing what he viewed as a lightning-bolt moment of insight, he had an arresting habit of snapping his fingers, pointing ahead, and raising his voice into falsetto.

But despite Winter’s grassy-knoll tendencies, he did have a point. It was difficult to understand how evidence that appeared obvious to a team of retired detectives hadn’t immediately been viewed the same way by active ones. And the Sherman family undoubtedly enjoyed greater-than-average access to top officials. Shortly after the couple’s death, the mayor, Tory, had been criticized for relaying the children’s complaints about leaks of the murder-suicide possibility to police brass, whose subordinates duly clammed up.

Still, it was hard to credit Winter’s essential argument: that to spare a dead billionaire’s reputation, a busy big-city police department was essentially simulating a major murder inquiry. Mistakes, not malice, were a much more plausible explanation for the police’s reversal....”

I kind of wish it were a TPS update on Friday but I'll watch anyway. :)

I certainly hope they don't mess up the police investigation by leaking more information.

I think they need to demonstrate that they're genuinely interested in justice, not just public relations. Unfortunately, while it wasn't deliberate, they've increased the public tendency to believe in corruption and conspiracies, and that's really not a wise move for anyone who wants to enjoy their wealth in peace. For example, the uncertainty may be affecting Apotex's business and profitability.

I thought Kerry had said an article was coming from the Washington Post in the near future.

You could be right and I’ve forgotten. I notice the writer of the Bloomberg piece is listed as their Senior Reporter and he says he met with Kerry in Toronto in “late April”. So it appears the article was sitting on the shelf for quite awhile before it was published.

It’s quite the surprise to see two different media reports regarding this case, both on the very same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard