Identified! OR - Cave Junction, 'Annie Doe' WhtFem UP10929, 16-20, Redwood Hwy, Aug'71 - Annie Lehman

This is such fascinating and exciting progress!
@sunnynz do you have any recommendations for our members getting this request from DNA Doe Project into the press there? Can you share the DDP page and requests about Annie Doe with some news groups? Or any NZ social media groups you are connected to?
Sounds like UK and Australia media coverage would help too.
I feel optimistic about this case.
But I hope they can find some closer cousins to ID her faster/easier.

I think the word needs to get out in Chicago and the Great Lakes area.

Don't forget Canada for relatives.

It's my impression that people move around pretty freely within the Commonwealth countries. My friend's husband's family is originally from Northern Ireland but none of them live there any more. He grew up in the Liverpool area before migrating to the US. The family moved to, um, east of London I think. His sister is in Australia; his aunt lived in Australia for a long time, returned to a different part of England, and then retired to Canada before she died.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if she turns out to have relatives in many places. Fingers crossed that we can find them!

Canada does border the Great Lakes. Do we have her actual isotopes map somewhere?

Fascinating new updates to the DNA Doe Project post about Annie Doe! 11/8:

"We also have DNA matches with common ancestors from the UK, predominantly from Sussex.

NZ families often originated in the UK and also typically have relatives in Australia.

An intriguing detail from the case file - Annie was wearing a bra manufactured in New Zealand."

Definitely seems like she at least had visited family in New Zealand at some point or lived there! Of course, anything's possible :)

Last edited:
Added updates to the DNA Doe Project post about Annie Doe! 11/8:

"We also have DNA matches with common ancestors from the UK, predominantly from Sussex.

NZ families often originated in the UK and also typically have relatives in Australia.

An intriguing detail from the case file - Annie was wearing a bra manufactured in New Zealand."

Definitely seems like she at least had visited family in New Zealand at some point or lived there!

Very interesting update! I'm starting to believe she was indeed from NZ. Thank you, @leilarose68

Fascinating new updates to the DNA Doe Project post about Annie Doe! 11/8:

Definitely seems like she at least had visited family in New Zealand at some point or lived there! Of course, anything's possible :)
At this point, I have no doubt she was from Europe or New Zealand. It makes complete sense, considering Annie’s Case has gone cold for over 40 years.
The bra she was wearing now makes me highly consider that she was from NZ.
With that said, how did she get from NZ (or Europe) all the way to the states, and how did she end up all the way to Oregon.

One of my suspicions is that there is a reason she had a map of California recreational sites in her pocket: because she was already there. Considering Jedidiah Smith State Park, as well as the Smith River Rec Sites in California is very close to Oregon. She may have either been abducted or killed at one of these camp sites before being dumped.

At this point, I have no doubt she was from Europe or New Zealand. It makes complete sense, considering Annie’s Case has gone cold for over 40 years.
The bra she was wearing now makes me highly consider that she was from NZ.
With that said, how did she get from NZ (or Europe) all the way to the states, and how did she end up all the way to Oregon.

One of my suspicions is that there is a reason she had a map of California recreational sites in her pocket: because she was already there. Considering Jedidiah Smith State Park, as well as the Smith River Rec Sites in California is very close to Oregon. She may have either been abducted or killed at one of these camp sites before being dumped.

Well, I definitely still think it's possible she was from the US or Canada, there are plenty of old cases of unidentified people from the states: her missing person file could have been lost... there are also a number of reasons why she might not have been reported missing. What if she was an only child raised by an elderly grandparent?

That said, the NZ bra as well as at least one of the branches of her family tree definitely makes one think that there's a real chance of a strong NZ connection.

Kiwis tend to travel a lot, she could have been on a trip to the US from New Zealand, perhaps as some post-graduation adventure or something. Maybe she only had one parent who then died while she was on her trip or maybe they just assumed she started a new life if there was a rocky relationship. There are so many possibilities.

Stuff.NZ, a New Zealand news site, article on Annie just got published! Fingers crossed this brings her more matches

Mystery US skeleton has Kiwi DNA matches, was wearing New Zealand-made bra
This is awesome, they have a very large readership here. I'm keeping watch on the other ones I sent it too as well. I've also sent this Stuff link to a couple of Facebook groups that are for reconnecting long lost relatives etc - not that there is a local article they might find it more relevant to run on their pages.

I really think if you're wearing a bra manufactured in NZ in 1971 then there's a high chance you're from here.

I agree, it seems like she had close relatives from there at the very least. The bra though could have been a hand-me-down from her mom or something she bought while visiting Kiwi visiting relatives while she lived in another country

Stuff.NZ, a New Zealand news site, article on Annie just got published! Fingers crossed this brings her more matches

Mystery US skeleton has Kiwi DNA matches, was wearing New Zealand-made bra

The NZ Herald has also now got it on their website 47 year old US murder mystery linked to NZ through victim DNA and Kiwi-made bra

These two sites running it are the equivalent of like ABC and CNN (or similar) running it in the US - very good nationwide readership

So exciting! Great work both of you. I feel so much hope Annie will be identified.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back