Match! UT - Garfield Co, HispFem, UP8330, 37-45, Apr'98 **GRAPHIC PHOTOS** - Lina Izaguirre Reyes-Geddes

I would like to thank Mandi on behalf of my family. Lina was my mom's cousin, so she was my aunt (Mexican genealogy has no "once removed" or anything like that).

We already knew in our hearts that she was gone after so many years of her disappearance, but it is certainly nice to have some closure. Probably the only other thing I can add is that she was not on her way to Mexico to visit. She was her husband's third wife, and she was way younger than him. Shortly before she went missing, she commented that she was going back to Mexico because her husband had killed his second wife and she feared for her life. Whether her husband did in fact kill her or was involved in any way, I cannot say; but we suspect that was the case. In any case, she will be home soon. Thanks again, Mandi.

Oklahomie, thank you for joining us and giving us additional information of Lina's life. My condolences to you and all your family.

I would like to thank Mandi on behalf of my family. Lina was my mom's cousin, so she was my aunt (Mexican genealogy has no "once removed" or anything like that).

We already knew in our hearts that she was gone after so many years of her disappearance, but it is certainly nice to have some closure. Probably the only other thing I can add is that she was not on her way to Mexico to visit. She was her husband's third wife, and she was way younger than him. Shortly before she went missing, she commented that she was going back to Mexico because her husband had killed his second wife and she feared for her life. Whether her husband did in fact kill her or was involved in any way, I cannot say; but we suspect that was the case. In any case, she will be home soon. Thanks again, Mandi.

Wow, I’m so honored to meet you and send my deepest condolences and prayers to your family. I’m sure this brings up a lot of emotion and memories and I’m so sorry. I’m so very glad she will soon be back home with the people who loved her.

The additional info on her husband is shocking. I knew he was something like 30 years her senior but the suspicion that he killed his previous wife is chilling. I’m assuming you’re in touch with the detectives around this. Just — wow. Thank you for finding this thread and introducing yourself. ❤️

IDENTIFIED as Lina Izaguirre Reyes-Geddes

20 Years After Woman Was Found Shot and Wrapped in a Sleeping Bag, Police Finally Can Identify Her

However, the article states that the tip came in from Lina's sister "shortly" after the case was re-opened on Oct 2.

I was notified on Oct 29th that a sister had called in that day and identified herself to Youngstown PD after seeing their press release that went out in a Texas and Mexico searching for her family members for the DNA match.

This was the press release that was sent out by Ohio after they began working with Utah on confirming the match — and the family members responded to it. Youngstown Police searching for missing woman with Laredo ties

Last edited:
I was notified on Oct 29th that a sister had called in that day and identified herself to Youngstown PD after seeing their press release that went out in a Texas and Mexico searching for her family members for the DNA match.

This was the press release that was sent out by Ohio after they began working with Utah on confirming the match — and the family members responded to it. Youngstown Police searching for missing woman with Laredo ties
It doesn't really come as a surprise that the efforts of an online amateur sleuther won't be recognised or even mentioned, MandiH82, but we know! Not only did you do good, you did REALLY good and we are proud of you :)

Also, cyber-hugs to Oklahomie and my deepest sympathies to you and your family ♡

Yeah, they definitely took the tip and ran with it. If it turns out not to be a match I’m going to be mortified, lol.

Although, I’m banking on the fact that there are probably some additional similarities that I’m not even aware of that caused them to pursue this lead so intensely. So I will not be at fault for leading a wild goose chase!

Great work, Mandi! I'm sure it's a comfort to those who loved her.

You don't sound crazy at all! This is what we do. Maybe we're all a little crazy.

May I ask how you connected the dots on this case?

Also, is it believed the husband was her murderer? Why won't they say that? If he committed suicide shortly thereafter, who cares if they name him?

Very true! :) No one in my family nor my group of friends has any interest in investigations or true crime so I guess I feel a bit like a black sheep. lol. It's nice to have found some fellowship!

As far as how the dots were connected, it was really similar to what everyone does on the "Unidentified" section. Ultimately, I guess it was just a really lucky NameUs search! I selected the UID case to look at because it seemed as though there hadn't been much in the way of recent discussion -- yet there was a lot of info to go on. My database search only pulled up about 26 cases and six cases in I stopped in my tracks when I saw her MP photo. Then, one by one, every stat was a match. I had the photos up side by side for over an hour, just going back and forth studying her facial features. The clincher for me was the large mole in the upper portion of her right ear in her MP photo and that same mole was listed in the identifier section of the UID profile. I submitted the matches by email that evening and then called it in the next morning.

As far as the husband goes. I'm not sure why they are hesitant to publicly name him as a person of interest. I know he was a POI at least for Ohio when it was just a missing persons case. Now that they know she's the UID, I'm sure they just need to do their due diligence before saying anything specific.

It doesn't really come as a surprise that the efforts of an online amateur sleuther won't be recognised or even mentioned, MandiH82, but we know! Not only did you do good, you did REALLY good and we are proud of you :)

Also, cyber-hugs to Oklahomie and my deepest sympathies to you and your family ♡

Thank you so much :) Since the press conference, there have actually been quite a few nods in my direction for making the match. Honestly, I feel like I'm receiving MUCH more recognition and credit than I deserve. I played a small part in a much bigger chain of events involving many hard working people -- which in my opinion includes this forum!

Here are a few of the articles with mentions:
Investigators identify victim, potential suspect in 20-year-old cold case

Utah shooting victim identified as Valley woman missing for 20 years

Maidenwater victim identified after 20 years, thanks to whirlwind 2 months of investigation

In my conversations with authorities I have mentioned Websleuths multiple times as being instrumental in this match and have encouraged them to check out this site and the amazing people doing amazing work.

Great work, Mandi! I'm sure it's a comfort to those who loved her.

You are very kind :) According to Oklahomie, it sounds like it has brought some comfort, or at least closure in some way. That makes me happy.

With all due respect Carl that one article does not have full story. Sister's were searched for and located After the tip.

It has been confirmed from horses mouth, Sheriff himself at live press conference few hours ago that she has been identified due to our tipster and then search for family began.

Link of press conference video in the article here - Investigators use DNA evidence to identify victim in 1998 Utah cold case

I left the match flag when I commented on Thursday, because I know the press often gets it wrong. - as it turns out they did here.

Congratulations Mandi on the good match!

I just received word this morning that the DNA results confirm that this Jane Doe, or otherwise known as the “Maidenwater Victim” is in fact Lina Izaguirre Reyes-Geddes! WOW

I’m not sure what happens next as far as any further attempts they’ll make the pin this murder to Scott Kimball but it feels good knowing that after 20 years, she has her name back and her family will have some sense of closure.
Well done! Bless you for giving this family back their daughter.

Authorities in Youngstown and Utah are expected to name a suspect on Wednesday in a nearly quarter-of-a-century-old cold case involving the murder of a woman from the Valley.

Agencies have scheduled a news conference this afternoon to name the person they believe shot Lina Reyes Geddes in the head, leaving her remains along Highway 276 near Maidenwater Spring in Garfield County, Utah.

The body, found in April 1998, was covered with plastic bags, wrapped in duct tape, tied with rope, and placed inside a sleeping bag before being wrapped in a carpet.

The chief investigator says her fingertips had purposely been cut off so that it would be difficult to identify her.

The body remained unidentified for two decades.

That changed in 2018 when agents with the Utah State Bureau of Investigation caught a break after they released a photo of the woman to the public.

An internet sleuth from California with no connection to the case, but who had an interest in unsolved crimes, noticed the mole in the right ear and told Utah authorities to contact Youngstown police about their missing case involving Reyes Geddes.

“Over the next two decades, investigators continued to work the cold case with little success,” says a statement shared by the Utah Department of Safety. “All of that changed in 2018 when Agents with the Utah State Bureau of Investigation caught a break after they released a photo of the female to the public. Almost simultaneous to their release, the Youngstown, Ohio police department also released a photo in connection with a missing person’s case that dated back to April 1998. Those two pictures helped connect these cases and ultimately led to the victim’s identification.
“Utilizing DNA from family who traveled to Utah from San Luis Potosi, Mexico, a gents positively confirmed her identity. The woman was identified as Lina Reyes Geddes of Youngstown, Ohio.”

The ID produced leads, and new information and more DNA testing “ultimately identified the person responsible for her death,” the statement says. “After 24 years, this case has finally reached a conclusion that will bring closure to the family of Lina Reyes Geddes.”

Among those questioned was the victim’s husband, Edward Geddes, who was one of several suspects. Officials announced on Wednesday that DNA on the ropes used to bind the woman was later traced to Edward Geddes, now deceased.
DNA provided by the suspect’s family members confirmed the link, police announced at a news conference featuring Sgt. Cameron Roden, Utah Highway Patrol; Agent Brian Davis, Utah State Bureau of Investigation; and Detective David Sweeney, Youngstown, Ohio Police Department.

Officials said that although Geddes can’t be prosecuted, they home the information will bring closure to the family of the victim.
Utah DPS also shared videos made years ago, seeking information on the woman’s identity, and a 1998 interview with Edward Geddes, shared below.

This case has just been featured on two different shows in the last two days: Forensic Files II and On the Case with Paula Zahn. Forensic Files gave credit to Websleuths! Wasn't aware of this case until now. Oh, and they have identified her husband Edward as the killer. His DNA was obtained from the rope using a new technique where they can wet-vac (MVAC) the DNA. He was abusive towards her and mentioned her underwear that she was found in in an interview.

Last edited:

Mandi was interviewed for Forensic Files II and gave credit, even showed the screenshots of Websleuths.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back