GUILTY NY - Massena, Female, partially wrapped, in woods, Aug 2014 - Lacey Yekel

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay - got a discrepency (sp?) - article in post #72 says Nov. 28th, this article says trial starts 11/26 - ??

Trial date sent in Hebert murder trial; attorneys await judge’s ruling on possible incriminating statements

CANTON — The man accused of the 2014 homicide of 24-year-old Lacey L. Yekel is scheduled for trial Nov. 26.

The article states:

"....Hebert was originally scheduled for trial on Oct. 23. He has had a change in attorneys and is now represented by Gary W. Miles. He also had a hearing adjourned, moving the trial to the new date....."

Trial date set in Hebert murder trial; attorneys await judge’s ruling on possible incriminating statements

sfi_slap2.gif

Monday, Nov. 26th:
*Trial was set to begin/Hearing instead (@ ET) – NY – Lacey L. Yekel (25) (June 7, 2014, Massena; found Aug. 29, 2014) – *Christopher A. Hebert (46) charged (8/14/18) with A-1 felony of 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bail.
8/19/18 Update: Status hearing on 9/4. Trial set to start 9/25, but there is another trial at the same time & if not resolved by 9/25, trial will start 10/23.
9/4/18 Update: Hearing was re motion to suppress Hebert’s statements to LE. Continued to 9/17. Trial has been moved to 11/28.

9/17/18 Update: Judge grants change of attorneys.
10/9/18 Update: Defendant seeking to have the charge dismissed due to an alleged violation of his right to a speedy trial. State says Hebert has actually been indicted within four years of that act occurring, which would be within the five-year limitation on normal felonies, although that does not apply to a homicide investigation.” Mr. Pasqua added that up until the middle of 2017 there was not enough evidence to charge Hebert and, from the time the evidence became available to the time he was indicted, it was a matter of months. Judge Richards will reserve decision. No further dates available.

10/29/18 Update: Motions hearing on whether Hebert’s statements in prison can be used at trial. Judge will decide with a hearing set for late November, no date given. Trial starts 11/26.
11/14/18 Update: Hebert will get a new lawyer and a new trial date after wrangling in court Wednesday with St. Lawrence County Judge Jerome Richards. It will be Hebert's third appointed lawyer in the case. Richards said a new trial date will be set, which will probably be early next year. The trial had been scheduled for late November (26th). Hebert made a motion to have Richards remove himself from the case, claiming he wouldn't “get a fair shake” from the judge. He said that was because as a prosecutor 18 years ago Richards got Hebert to accept a plea deal. Richards said he had no doubt he could be fair and impartial in the case and denied Hebert's motion.

2019 sees multiple trials slated in first three months

<snipped>

■ March 12: Jury selection begins in the trial of Christopher A. Hebert, 46, formerly of 14759 Route 37, now an inmate at the St. Lawrence County jail, who is charged with the A-I felony of second-degree murder in connection with the 2014 murder of the 24-year-old Lacey L. Yekel.

The indictment charges that on or about June 7, 2014, in St. Lawrence County, he intentionally caused the death of Ms. Yekel.

Tuesday, March 12th:
*Trial set to begin (@ ET) – NY – Lacey L. Yekel (25) (June 7, 2014, Massena; found Aug. 29, 2014) – *Christopher A. Hebert (46) charged (8/14/18) with A-1 felony of 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bail.
Jury Trial set to begin 3/12/19.
Trial was set to start 9/25/18 delayed to 10/23/18, and then moved to 11/26/18 and moved to 3/12/19. Judge grants change of attorneys. Motions hearing on whether Hebert’s statements in prison can be used at trial. Trial starts 11/26. 12/17/19 Trial delayed, Judge grants change of attorneys. Trial has been moved to 3/12/19. Jury selection begins 3/12.

Jury selection begins in trial of the man charged with 2014 murder of Lacey Yekel

MARCH 12, 2019

"CANTON — Jury selection begins today in the trial of Christopher A. Hebert, the former Massena man accused of the 2014 murder of 24-year-old Lacey L. Yekel.

Hebert, 46, formerly of 14759 Route 37, now an inmate at the St. Lawrence County jail, is charged with the A-I felony of second-degree murder in the June 7, 2014, death of Ms. Yekel.

An expected 75 to 80 prospective jurors have received summonses in the case and will face questioning this afternoon. That process is believed to continue until about Friday.

The trial is expected to last about two weeks and Hebert is represented by the court-appointed defense team of Peter A. Dumas, Malone, and Daniel C. Ramsey, Massena...."

Jury selection begins in trial of the man charged with 2014 murder of Lacey Yekel

yekel.gif

Since the 2nd article posted above says Tuesday starts Jury selection -

Wednesday, March 13th:
*Jury Selection begins (@ 9:15am ET) – NY – Lacey L. Yekel (25) (June 7, 2014, Massena; found Aug. 29, 2014) – *Christopher A. Hebert (46) charged (8/14/18) with A-1 felony of 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bail.
Trial to begin 3/13/19 with jury selection.
Trial was set to start 9/25/18 delayed to 10/23/18, and then moved to 11/26/18. Judge grants change of attorneys. Motions hearing on whether Hebert’s statements in prison can be used at trial. Trial starts 11/26. 12/17/19 Trial delayed, Judge grants change of attorneys. Trial has been moved to 3/12/19. Jury selection will start 3/13/19.

No jurors selected in Hebert trial at end of day one

MARCH 13, 2019

"CANTON — No jurors were selected Tuesday during the first day of jury selection in the trial of Christopher A. Hebert, the former Massena man accused of the 2014 murder of 24-year-old Lacey L. Yekel.

About 85 perspective jurors appeared for jury duty Tuesday morning but had not yet been questioned by attorneys by noon time as the result of pre-trial matters.

Attorneys in the case said it is believed the selection process could last until Friday and the trial itself could take about two weeks.

Hebert, 46, formerly of 14759 Route 37, now an inmate at the St. Lawrence County jail, is charged with the A-I felony of second-degree murder in the June 7, 2014, death of Ms. Yekel.

Jury selection is scheduled to continue this morning."

No jurors selected in Hebert trial at end of day one

10 jurors seated in Hebert murder trial, selection continues Thursday

MARCH 14, 2019

"CANTON — After a full second day of jury selection in the murder trial of Christopher A. Hebert, 10 jurors have been seated.

A jury of six men and four women was selected as of the end of the court day Wednesday with the anticipation that two more jurors and as many as four alternates would be selected for the trial of the 46-year-old former Massena man who is charged with the A-I felony of second-degree murder in the June 7, 2014 death of Lacey L. Yekel.

Jury selection began Tuesday afternoon resulting in a day without any jurors seated.

Attorneys in the case said it is believed the selection process could last until Friday and the trial itself could take about two weeks. The selection process is scheduled to continue this morning."

10 jurors seated in Hebert murder trial, selection continues Thursday
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 14th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 3) (@ 9:15am ET) – NY – Lacey L. Yekel (25) (June 7, 2014, Massena; found Aug. 29, 2014) – *Christopher A. Hebert (46) charged (8/14/18) with A-1 felony of 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bail.
Trial-jury selection to begin 3/12/19. (Trial expected to last 2 weeks).
Trial was set to start 9/25/18 delayed to 10/23/18, and then moved to 11/26/18. Judge grants change of attorneys. Motions hearing on whether Hebert’s statements in prison can be used at trial. Trial starts 11/26. 12/17/19 Trial delayed, Judge grants change of attorneys. Trial has been moved to 3/12/19. Jury selection will start 3/12/19.

3/12/19 Jury Selection Day 1: About 85 perspective jurors appeared for jury duty Tuesday morning but had not yet been questioned by attorneys by noon time as the result of pre-trial matters. That process is believed to continue until about Friday.
3/13/19 Jury Selection Day 2: 10 jurors have been seated. A jury of six men & four women was selected as of the end of the court day Wednesday with the anticipation that two more jurors & as many as four alternates would be selected. Jury selection continues on 3/14.

W.T. Eckert @WTEckert 11h11 hours ago
A #jury of 12 have been selected in the #murder #trial of Christopher A. Hebert. Attorneys are believed to be seeking 4 alternates.#SLAWMayhem @wdtnews #HebertTrial

W.T. Eckert‏ @WTEckert 10h10 hours ago
Two women and two men have been sworn in as alternate #jury members in the #murder #trial of Christopher A. Hebert. #SLAWMayhem @wdtnews #HebertTrial

W.T. Eckert‏ @WTEckert 7h7 hours ago
Scenes from the opening statements of the #Heberttrial this afternoon @wdtnews #SLAWMayhem #murder #jury #trial #NNY https://www.facebook.com/WTEckert/videos/2357035157674373/ …

W.T. Eckert‏ @WTEckert 7h7 hours ago
St. Lawrence County DA laid out his case to a #jury in the #Heberttrial this afternoon. #murder #trial @wdtnews #SLAWMayhem #prosecutor

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First witnesses testify in Hebert murder trial; attorneys give opposite portrayals of Massena woman's death

March 14, 2019

"CANTON -- Was Lacey Yekel murdered over drugs or did she die of an overdose?

That is what the nine-man, three-woman jury will decide over the next several weeks as they hear arguments in the murder trial of Christopher Hebert, 47. He is accused of killing Yekel, who was 25 when she died, sometime around June 7, 2014....
During opening statements on Thursday afternoon, St. Lawrence County District Attorney Gary Pasqua said Hebert severely beat Yekel and then strangled her to death....

Defense Says Death was an OD

The defense in their opening statement said the prosecutors have it wrong. Yekel died of an overdose and Hebert lied about murdering her.

"Christopher Hebert did not murder Lacey Yekel. Lacey Yekel died of an overdose. We're about to take a deep dive into the criminal underworld of Massena,” said attorney Daniel Ramsey, who along with co-council Peter Dumas, is representing Hebert. "We're going into that world. As a juror, you might not have any personal experience what it's like to be in this world. But you need to know what it's about. Criminals lie. That's what they do."

Ramsey said the medical examiner’s reports won’t show evidence of murder....

Witness Says He Heard Yekel Screaming on Phone Call

The prosecution called three witnesses before court recessed for the day - Gerald Dissottle, one of the last people to see Yekel alive; Justin LaShomb, who told state troopers about Yekel’s body; and Bonnie Lamay, Yekel’s mother....

Mother Briefly Takes Stand

Yekel’s mother briefly took the stand as the opening witness for the prosecution. She testified that the last time she saw her daughter was around June 4, 2014 and that she later gave a DNA sample to state police. She also identified a photo of her daughter.

The trial resumes at 9:30 a.m. Friday morning in St. Lawrence County Court."

First witnesses testify in Hebert murder trial; attorneys give opposite portrayals of Massena woman's death | NorthCountryNow

Last edited:
Friday, March 15th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9:30am ET) – NY – Lacey L. Yekel (25) (June 7, 2014, Massena; found Aug. 29, 2014) – *Christopher A. Hebert (46) charged (8/14/18) with A-1 felony of 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bail.
Trial started on 3/14/19. (Trial expected to last 2 weeks).
Trial was set to start 9/25/18 delayed to 10/23/18, and then moved to 11/26/18. Judge grants change of attorneys. Motions hearing on whether Hebert’s statements in prison can be used at trial. Trial starts 11/26. 12/17/19 Trial delayed, Judge grants change of attorneys. Trial has been moved to 3/12/19. Jury selection will start 3/12/19.

3/12/19 Jury Selection Day 1: About 85 perspective jurors appeared for jury duty Tuesday morning but had not yet been questioned by attorneys by noon time as the result of pre-trial matters. That process is believed to continue until about Friday.
3/13/19 Jury Selection Day 2: 10 jurors have been seated. A jury of six men & four women was selected as of the end of the court day Wednesday with the anticipation that two more jurors & as many as four alternates would be selected. Jury selection continues on 3/14.
3/14/19 Jury Selection Day 3: A jury of 12 have been selected. Attorneys are believed to be seeking 4 alternates. Two women & two men have been sworn in as alternate jury members. 9 men & 3 women on jury.
3/14/19 Trial Day 1: Opening statements made. State witnesses: Gerald Dissottle, one of the last people to see Yekel alive. Justin LaShomb, who told state troopers about Yekel’s body. Bonnie Lamay, Yekel’s mother. Trial continues on 3/15.

Testimony begins in Hebert murder trial, uncovering “criminal underworld”

MARCH 15, 2019

"CANTON — “We are about to take a deep dive into the criminal underworld of Massena.”

That was what a jury of nine men and three women was told to expect at the start of trial Thursday afternoon in St. Lawrence County Court by Daniel C. Ramsey, Massena, one of murder suspect Christopher A. Hebert’s defense attorneys...."

Testimony begins in Hebert murder trial, uncovering “criminal underworld”

Prison inmate testifies Hebert admitted to killing Lacey Yekel

MARCH 15, 2019

"CANTON — At the start of day two of the murder trial of Christopher A. Hebert, jurors heard from the third witness who was the third convicted felon to take the stand, a convict who said Hebert admitted to killing Lacey L. Yekel

Jason S. Smith, an inmate serving 20 years for first-degree robbery, said he met Hebert about 20 years ago while both men were in the St. Lawrence County jail together and embarked on a relationship that was crime-related.

But during those 20 years, Mr. Smith said he had never seen Hebert as shook as he was on a night in June 2014 when he came to his 17½ Parker Ave., Massena residence, confessing to the murder of 24-year-old Ms. Yekel....

“I seen him in a stage I never seen him before,” Mr. Smith told St. Lawrence County District Attorney Gary M. Pasqua. “He was crying and emotional. He told me he killed a girl.”

Hebert went to Joshua Lashomb first, a friend of Mr. Smith, looking for help, he testified.

“He asked me if I wanted to know who it was (he killed). I said yes. He told me it was Lacey Yekel,” Mr. Smith testified...."

Prison inmate testifies Hebert admitted to killing Lacey Yekel
---

Inmate testifies Hebert said he murdered Massena woman over stolen money

March 15, 2019

"...Smith told the court that Hebert gave him a motive for the killing.

"He told me he was partying and he'd passed out and when he woke up money was missing. He told me he'd brought Lacey out to the industrial park. He said he freaked out on her, started hitting her over the head with a rock," Smith testified. "He said after that he realized with his criminal history that it didn't make a difference with first-degree assault or just to kill her ... he said he choked her to death."

Smith said Hebert asked him to help dispose of Yekel's corpse, but he didn't want to get involved.

"He asked me if I would help him get rid of the body ... said he needed to dismember it, bury it, before it started decomposing," Smith said. "At first I told him I would help ... there was a lot of things going through my mind at that point. I wanted him out of my house, I didn't know what he'd try with me if I told him no."

Smith testimony was linked with another witness who has already taken the stand. On Thursday, Justin Lashomb testified that Hebert went to his residence that night and told him he had killed someone with a rock, and then asked for a shovel...."

Inmate testifies Hebert said he murdered Massena woman over stolen money | NorthCountryNow

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMonique24
Back