CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless she told someone before she went missing.

I think if KB told mom/aunt/anyone in family that there were problems in the relationship, then mom wouldn't have said otherwise in her interview. Even if she just didn't want to upset PF since he has the baby, I imagine she'd just decline to comment rather than say "no issues, things were great."

On the other hand, something did seem off in her interview, like maybe she realized she didn't really know her daughter's life as well as she wished she did. Or something, something's bugging me about mom's demeanor during interview... Maybe she disapproved of certain aspects of KB's life and doesn't know quite how to set that aside for now... Or could be just that she's super intimidated by the media spotlight, as I would no doubt be as well.

I probably should not admit this but don't even know HOW to delete my texts, lol.

lol and I'm the opposite but still a luddite -- I have a flip phone and every month or so it says my text messages are getting full and I HAVE to delete a bunch or I won't get new ones...

Also -- re the red trucks, I wonder if that first neighbor, the one who saw the red truck so often that she thought PF lived there, was getting the two trucks mixed up. KB's red truck would indeed be there nearly all the time, if she commuted in the sedan. And incidentally, that newish Toyota Tacoma is sure a nice rig for someone with money issues... Almost too nice for ranch work... In my ranching town, Toyotas are for evil liberals (like me, lol) and ranchers use almost universally American-made makes. One more point, re parking -- remember that if her place is a duplex, then even if there are four spots, she really only has permission to use two of them. Generally speaking. MOO

My password is not something random people would guess, but my family would do it easily. Same might have been the case for KB. Not necessarily an easy password, but something used at other sites as well. Or maybe, there was none?
My brothers and husband know my password.

I wonder if someone who may have figured out a way to get her phone to Idaho to ping, would also think to use the phone to show “internet activity” between 11/22-11/25. Because “someone” certainly had some time to think of a lot of calculated moves. I hope not. LE needs all the evidence they can get. MOO
Every time I think of complex pre-planing like this that a perp might have used to be evasive, it turns out to be far more simple. (I thought Tad C. might have been more planned than he was, for example. Despite the pre-planning, he still was just basically winging it and holed away in a cabin they randomly came across.)

I just feel that it wouldn’t be difficult for even a stranger to know who to text. If they had her phone, they would see her recent calls and texts and know immediately who to message.

I just checked my texts. My first 5 are from my dad, my mom, my brother, T-Mobile auto text, my husband. All of the contacts are labeled as such too.

JMO
I tend to agree although a couple things I would wonder about.

Unless a person really knew her would they know enough about her employment that they would want to send a text to her employer to tell them that she would not be showing up for work the following week? Like how would the person know she did not already have a week vacation for Thanksgiving or something like that.

The other thing I would wonder about is "locks" on the phone. I dont know too much about smart phones but the one i have has to have a PIN# to be entered to get past the first screen to unlock it. So a question I would have is do most all smart phones these days have "locks" on them like that where someone could not use it unless they enter a PIN# to unlock it? Mine times out really fast where I always have to key my PIN to get back in my own phone.

I had considered that a perp could have forced her to give him all that type of information before killing her but would a random perp go through all that trouble? I tend to think it had to be someone close to her for those reasons.

bbm- And why do we keep cows herded? So we can eat them! Let's keep that in mind when criticizing the dog herding trade.
Not criticizing the dog herding trade. It's the way the dogs are handled,and treated,and even other dog trainers taking notice. Combined with other reports of his way with animals.

Yes you're right. If she sounded normal and indicated she was going to dinner with him that contradicts a possible break up. Unless she was emrbassed to tell her mom? She has a religious family and had a kid before marriage but at least could reassure them she's getting married to the dad. Maybe embarrassment would prevent her from telling mom right away?

But yeah. You make sense. It would seem odd for her to tell someone about a break up but lie in such detail to her mom.

Thank you gitana1. I respect your opinion a lot. I also think adding the dynamic of Kelsey's brother having a husband and CB and her son are not estranged over that gives even more support to the idea that Kelsey and her mom were close. By all appearances Kelsey was accepted by her family even having a baby and not being married. I think had Kelsey broken up with PF she would have told her mom and her brother. I get the feeling she was close to her brother too because he knew her make-up kit and suitcases (and brother-in-law was in tears in the interview I saw, bless him). I think the family would have rallied around her to support her emotionally in whatever she wanted to do if she and PF were no longer engaged. I'm open to the idea that the relationship was a rocky one but I no longer think they were "broken up" on Thanksgiving morning. JMO.

She definitely would have had life insurance through work at minimum, and if the child was listed as the beneficiary and he was the guardian then he would have access to that money. It is unusual for someone else to be put as the trustee because it creates problems unless you don't trust the guardian. Who is going to say that if they want access to their grandchild?
Do we know that her employer offered life insurance to their workers? Or that she worked enough hours to be eligible if so? I haven't heard anything one way or the other...

New guy here... lurked a lot during the Tibbetts case as well as Watts, which was close to home along with this one.

I wanted to share some thoughts about the phone sending messages on 11/25. I apologize if this has been brought up already. Most smartphones have a very limited battery life, so whoever was in possession of the phone on 11/25 would have had to have it powered off to make it from 11/22 to 11/25 or they would have had to be in possession of a charger that matches her phone. Really, there are 3 types for most smart phones these days... Apple, USB-C, or micro USB. That leads me to ask, where is KB's phone charger? Of course, we don't know the answer to this. If she was the one to send the messages, then surely she would have to have her charger with her. If she did not, then the phone was likely shut off or someone had in their possession or had to procure a matching charger that would keep it going for 3 days. We've heard that the phone pinged in Idaho. Many have wondered if it was pinging along the way. I know my phone wouldn't make it very long searching for signal going from CO to ID over 3 days unless it was plugged in. I'm thinking it was turned on in the location after being off. I wonder what kind of phone KB has as well as PF. Both Apple? Both Android?

The other thing I wanted to mention was that PF in one of his dog videos, which are several years old, said he had to borrow a smart phone to make the video because he didn't have one. Some have wondered how tech savvy he is. How many of you didn't have a smart phone 4.5 years ago? Just throwing it out there. Not saying anything about his intelligence, but besides PF, my wife is the only person I know who didn't have a smartphone 4.5 years ago.

Thank you. She is also a verified insider. I don't know why this is still debated. This and you add in the appearance of a not so lovey relationship.
I do not question that Kelsey's Aunt posted what she believed to be the truth. But she subsequently deleted her posts, allegedly at the request of her sister and Kelsey's mom, CB. We do not know why she did that. Was it because:
1. LE asked the family to keep that information under wraps
2. CB felt that it would hurt her chances of seeing her grandchild
3. Kelsey's aunt had misunderstood her sister and later determined that it was not true
4. KB was hoping they'd get back together and told Aunt but not Mom about the alleged breakup
5. The only indication that they'd broken up came from PF, or
6. Some other reason I haven't thought of.

If she had not removed the posts, most of us would take her word about the breakup as fact. IMHO.

Last edited:
Every time I think of complex pre-planing like this that a perp might have used to be evasive, it turns out to be far more simple. (I thought Tad C. might have been more planned than he was, for example. Despite the pre-planning, he still was just basically winging it and holed away in a cabin they randomly came across.)

JMO
I agree.

I have been thinking the ping in Idaho was a bad mistake by the perp. I have to wonder if the button on the phone was pushed by mistake or something. I know my power button on my phone is on the top right side and its in a bad spot because I have turned on my phone by mistake a few times already. I have been thinking maybe the perp mistaking hit the power button and then after realizing it was turning on the perp just turned it right back off.

Unless the texts were sent from Idaho location I have been thinking the texts may have been sent from Colorado earlier that same day.

If I was ever gonna do a drug, get drunk, have a one night stand, etc, I was FAR more likely to tell my cool aunt and definitely NOT my mom. My aunt would have just rolled with it and respected what I wanted to tell her while my mom would have lectured me and/or had a million questions . Still a lot of things I don't tell my mom unless I am ready to have a long, sigh, drawn out, yawn conversation.
Besides, she's my mom.
How old is the aunt?

Good job! So, is this parking area shared by two units?
MOO

Yes it would be IMO. Split down the middle by the chimney. The unit on the left is Kelsey's. The neighbor would park on the right and enter their unit on the right side of the building. I think that is the neighbor's car parked there. It gives a good idea how much space there is for parking in front of Kelsey's unit.

New guy here... lurked a lot during the Tibbetts case as well as Watts, which was close to home along with this one.

I wanted to share some thoughts about the phone sending messages on 11/25. I apologize if this has been brought up already. Most smartphones have a very limited battery life, so whoever was in possession of the phone on 11/25 would have had to have it powered off to make it from 11/22 to 11/25 or they would have had to be in possession of a charger that matches her phone. Really, there are 3 types for most smart phones these days... Apple, USB-C, or micro USB. That leads me to ask, where is KB's phone charger? Of course, we don't know the answer to this. If she was the one to send the messages, then surely she would have to have her charger with her. If she did not, then the phone was likely shut off or someone had in their possession or had to procure a matching charger that would keep it going for 3 days. We've heard that the phone pinged in Idaho. Many have wondered if it was pinging along the way. I know my phone wouldn't make it very long searching for signal going from CO to ID over 3 days unless it was plugged in. I'm thinking it was turned on in the location after being off. I wonder what kind of phone KB has as well as PF. Both Apple? Both Android?

The other thing I wanted to mention was that PF in one of his dog videos, which are several years old, said he had to borrow a smart phone to make the video because he didn't have one. Some have wondered how tech savvy he is. How many of you didn't have a smart phone 4.5 years ago? Just throwing it out there. Not saying anything about his intelligence, but besides PF, my wife is the only person I know who didn't have a smartphone 4.5 years ago.

WELCOME !!
and welcome to all the newcomers to WS. Its great to have you all.

I got my first Smart Phone about 2 years ago and always had just a flip phone before then. I still dont know how to text message very well. LOL :)

I saw another poster say that he was abusive to animals, indicating that this person actually knows PF and is on here, correct? Can someone show me the quote of what this person said? I have obviously missed a lot, worked most of the weekend. Thanks!

I am not among those who think it's 100% him. Hovering at about 80 him/19 another perp/1 self motivated. But if he was the one who provided the reward, that would NOT change my opinion whatsoever. Because if he was somehow involved (hypothetically) and knows there is no one who could claim the reward, he could offer a million dollars if he wanted...bc he would know it can't be claimed. MOO.

This is about my split too. I raised his involvement from my last split given the animal information

Snipped
Rogers said the police have conducted a "textbook investigation" so far, by starting out by looking at Berreth's home and the people with whom she was closest.

He said investigators will do a full forensic analysis of Berreth's computers, cell phones, text messages, emails and so on.

"The question that I know the police are trying to answer is: Why did it take 10 days, ... why did it take that period of time for somebody to report her missing?" Rogers said.

He said he believes investigators may have obtained a piece of evidence that they are not publicly revealing, in order not to compromise their investigation.

"The police are on track. They're doing a good job with this, but they're being careful not to release too much information, so that the case is not compromised," Rogers said. "Somebody knows something. And I'm sure the police are onto that person. That's why they don't want to say too much.

Colorado Mom Missing Since Thanksgiving: Police Consider Disappearance 'Suspicious'

I so hope this is true - BBM

I noticed that comment from PF in the dog video as well and was going to go back and watch it again to make sure I heard it correct. He did say something about borrowing this phone "because mine wont do this." or something to that effect. Which led me to wonder perhaps he doesn't have a smart phone. I didn't see how old that video is either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500