Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #38

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Deputies responded to a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron that was asking for help shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two deceased adults. Jayme Closs, 13, is considered "missing and endangered." Jayme is described as 5' tall, 100 pounds and has green eyes and blond or strawberry blond hair.

2 dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

Jayme%20Closs_1539605722558.jpg_6224138_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24
Thread #25
Thread #26
Thread #27
Thread #28
Thread #29

Thread #30
Thread #32
Thread #33
Thread #34
Thread #35
Thread #36
Thread #37

Media, Maps, and Timeline Thread

ABSOLUTELY NO MORE OFF TOPIC STORIES! THIS THREAD IS ABOUT JAYME. FEEL FREE TO TAKE YOUR OFF TOPIC STORY TO A PRIVATE CONVERSATION. IF ANYONE POSTS THEIR PERSONAL OFF TOPIC STORY WILL RECEIVE AN AUTOMATIC TIMEOUT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone- As this is a very active discussion, please make every effort to stay on-topic, victim friendly, and courteous to your fellow posters. If you are posting information as fact, posting a picture, etc. include a link to your source. If you see a post which violates TOS, report the post and do not respond to it. Thank you and carry on :)

Hey Everyone,

Such great news!!!

The story is coming together about the man who kidnapped Jayme and killed her parents but we still have many missing pieces.

IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE SUMMARIZE IN A POST WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

I am traveling and won't be able to use my laptop until I reach my destination.

Please remember no sleuthing other family members

Please do not put up maps that show the neighbor' addresses and please do not post anyone's name that isn't connected to the case.

Some posters are getting snarky.

Please take a break if you find yourself getting too angry.

More later

Take care

Tricia

Jayme Closs suspect 'saw her on school bus'

Jayme Closs kidnap: Suspect Jake Patterson 'saw her on school bus'

A Wisconsin man accused of killing a 13-year-old girl's parents so he could kidnap her allegedly made up his mind to snatch her after a chance encounter.

Jake Patterson, 21, told investigators he watched Jayme Closs board a school bus that he had stopped behind while driving to work.

He faces charges of killing Jayme's parents and kidnapping her on 15 October last year.

Jayme escaped last Thursday after three months in captivity, say police.
The charging document quotes Mr Patterson as saying that when he saw Jayme, "he knew that was the girl he was going to take."

Mr Patterson told police he only had worked at the factory for two days, and ended up spotting Jayme on one of the two mornings he drove to work.

The complaint says the accused twice scouted the Closs home near Barron with the plan of taking Jayme.

But he abandoned the plot those times because too many people were in the vicinity.

Mr Patterson described the measures he took to avoid detection, including shaving his head, stealing a license plate, wiping the shotgun with gloves on and modifying his car boot so it could not be opened from the inside.

<modsnipped to comply with copyright rule>

I don't know. It says "Order to seal document on the line underneath. Maybe Jayme's deposition? Maybe @gitana1 would know

We know exactly what’s sealed MOO.
88 days of unspeakable abuse.

Thank God this has been sealed.

Jayme’s classmates and the whole world don’t have to know about unspeakable indignities and forms of abuse she likely suffered.

Not that she should be ashamed because she is a victim and this was not her fault.

I truly believe all such details should be between her, authorities, medical workers and whomever sheeeeeee chooses to ever tell.

The criminal complaint includes the following vehicle description by Deputy Fick:

Deputy Fick reports that, while in route to the residence, he observed a vehicle that was maroon in color and what he believed to be an older style vehicle. Deputy Fick reports that, based on his training and experience, the vehicle appeared to him to be an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. As the vehicle was traveling east on U.S. Hwy. 8, Deputy Fick reports he was traveling west on U.S. Hwy. 8, just west of the City of Barron. Deputy Fick reports the vehicle he observed was the lone eastbound traveling vehicle he encountered. Deputy Fick observed the vehicle yield to himself and other deputies responding to the scene. Deputy Fick reports he was unable to see a front license plate and observed a black bracket in the front middle of the bumper. Deputy Fick reports he observed grey or silver trim on the vehicle. (BBM)

Why was this not reported as a vehicle of interest!? If it was, perhaps one of the neighbors in Gordon would have recognized the car.

I opened up the tab under history and it shows the word plea to the far right of each charge. Does that mean he is going to plea???? (though what I copied ended up pasting differently below)

The Defendant was charged with the following offense:
Count
Statute cite
940.01(1)(a)
Description
1st-Degree Intentional Homicide
Severity
Felony A
Offense date
10-15-2018
Plea
Count
Statute cite
940.01(1)(a)
Description
1st-Degree Intentional Homicide
Severity
Felony A
Offense date
10-15-2018
Plea
Count
Statute cite
940.31(1)(a)
Description
Kidnapping/Carry w/o Consent
Severity
Felony C
Offense date
10-15-2018
Plea
Count
Statute cite
943.10(2)(a)
Description
Burglary-Armed w/ Dangerous Weapon
Severity
Felony E
Offense date
10-15-2018
Plea

No. It's just the way the form appears. The plea (guilty or not guilty) will appear later.

Charges: Suspect taped Jayme's hands, ankles, dragged her to car
A jailed Patterson appeared Monday afternoon via video hookup in Barron County District Court, where he heard the charges against him in connection with the deaths of James and Denise Closs and the abduction of Jayme, who sought help along a road near Gordon upon escape.

Judge James Babler agreed with the prosecution and set bail at $5 million for Patterson, pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the prospect of spending life in prison if convicted and the great lengths the defendant went to conceal the crimes while a fugitive. The defense requested an unspecified lesser amount.

Decked in full jail orange, Patterson sat at a table with a member of his defense team to his right and the charging document in front of him over the 9-minute hearing and answered every question from the judge calmly and with full understanding. He sat with his hands folded at his waist, adjusting his glasses and rubbing his face.

Prosecutors also said Monday afternoon that additional charges based on unspecified allegations could be coming out of Douglas County, where the Patterson property is located, before the defendant is back in Barron County Circuit Court in Barron on Feb. 6.

The whole convo about what you'd do if your child committed such a crime...I'd go to court with him. Not because I necessarily felt guilt or because I didn't believe they were guilty, but because I would feel partly responsible. Even if I had zero to do with the crime, and I never saw any signs of anything weird over the years, as the parent I'd still feel some type of accountability. I couldn't let the victims' families go through all that trauma in the court room while I stayed away from it. I think I'd feel I owed that to them-if they could sit there and listen to what my kid did to their child, then I should have to sit there and listen to what my child did to their kid. And yes, I'd probably cry.

From the complaint:

"Deputy Fick reports that, while in route to the residence, he observed a vehicle that was maroon in color and what he believed to be an older style vehicle. Deputy Fick reports that, based on his training and experience, the vehicle appeared to him to be an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. As the vehicle was traveling east on U.S. Hwy. 8, Deputy Fick reports he was traveling west on U.S. Hwy. 8, just west of the City of Barron. Deputy Fick reports the vehicle he observed was the lone eastbound traveling vehicle he encountered. Deputy Fick observed the vehicle yield to himself and other deputies responding to the scene."

Why was this vehicle never released to the public? The ONLY vehicle they encountered...and the public is sent on a wild goose chase for two unrelated vehicles?

Perhaps that car was mistaken as the red or orange Dodge. Not sure if the officer had a dash cam vid on, but as I seem to recall, the officer’s cars are equipped with those. It may be that fact, after experts looked at it, it was just too hard to tell the make and model of the car... walking out on the plank slowly on that thought. Later, the statement about the make and model of the car was walked back, as many may recall.

IMOO after reading @PommyMommy's post quote, I predict JP's defense attorney's request to move the trial and, it looks like they're tippy toeing up to something that we may not like them using as a defense. I hope they remember there is a 13 year old girl healing and his comment about 'misinformation' has me greatly worried & none of us really care about Mr. Pattersons emotions or reactions (if he didnt have a reaction we would pick him apart though) It feels like tht attorney is testing the waters or, cultivating an odd trust w/ the public, he wants to humanize JP but,
In past cases I’ve followed they withold a little info that only the Perp would know. Rules out false confessions I guess?? The legal minds in here would know.

Why they didn’t ask the public for help looking for red or maroon ford tauruses though is beyond me ?????
I wonder about that myself..could be IMOO, they saw it as LE mistake..oh well our deputies passed them on their way to the call but we did see the color and possible make. That's pretty bad to say, but idk any other reason they wouldn't want to search for it except that its a soft car. Almost everybody had a ford Taurus at some point, it was popular very where I'm from anyway

And several police cars passed him by. Maybe it should be protocol that any time a single vehicle is coming from the direction of the crime scene, it gets pulled over until things are sorted out.
When time is of the essence, as it would have been here, LE usually radios in license plates of vehicles leaving a crime scene. Or they pull footage from the cruiser video which would show any vehicles they passed on their way to the call. I don't know if the former happened or if they even have cameras in their cruisers. Either way, I am sure a home invasion/double homicide/kidnapping was the last thing these officers expected to find. In Barron, WI, they were much more likely to arrive to a 911 pocket dial with kids messing around or a tv blaring the background.

Bolded and snipped by me...

There are at least 2 cases (right off the top of my head) that are very similar to this (stranger picks child at random, breaks in, kills parents, abducts child, leaves behind little to no evidence) yet one case has never been solved (Short case) and the other was slightly different in that two children were kidnapped instead of one (Groene case). I think this one was particularly hard to profile since she was apparently chosen the old-fashioned way and there wasn't some kind of digital or social media trail.

Yes, I totally get that. I think it’s the age and sophistication of JP that seems so strange to me.

I just listened to the whole 911 call posted several pages back (the one from this past Thursday). It is about 29:00 long. Thank goodness for both of the neighbors. They stayed calm and kept Jayme calm and feeling safe (At one point, JN asked Jayme if she felt nervous and Jayme said "no"). And the dispatcher did a wonderful job keeping them all safe and calm (and they thanked the dispatcher at the end as well and the dispatcher thanked them for doing such a nice job). This was probably the best possible ending that could have come from this absolutely nightmarish situation, and I am so happy and thankful that these wonderful neighbors were nearby when Jayme needed them.

Is it not in every state that you must stop and pull to the side of the road for police and ambulance?

No, it's state-by-state. In my state, if a police car is behind you then you have to pull over or, if you can't, then at least slow down so that they can pass. As JP was leaving, however, he passed the cruiser going the opposite direction. That's different.

No argument JTP is pure evil. However, do we have any evidence his family knew this? Has there been a report that they had any indication he was not normal? Until we do, I consider his family victims as well. How terrible to wake up to the news your child admitted to 2 counts of intentional homicide and kidnapping. I can’t even...

If there is evidence the family knew, would someone please post the source, I missed it.

Don’t know if you’ve ever seen the movie Career opportunities..... w Jennifer Connelly.. great movie...

His parents probably thought of there son like the main character in that movie dorky awkward kid with delusions of grandeur...

I don’t know when he went to full metal jacket nuts... if there was event.. divorce / military or whatever... but seeing his dad makes me think they didn’t see this coming..

I have no idea.. Dahmers parents said he never got over divorce and move to new town at age 6.... this is bizarre...and sad... atleast Dexter went after bad guys ..And wasn’t real...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member