TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully snipped for focus.
Great post, and welcome!
I can't help but anchor on the statement about the anniversary.
Anniversaries of all kinds tend to really cause triggers and unhinge people.
I speculate the anniversary is a big factor in this.
Is this a nutso ex of his?

Amateur speculation and opinion only

I agree that the upcoming anniversary was, at the very least in small part, a factor in the timing of the murder (certainly explains “why now?”).

It could be a psycho ex of one of them, or it could even be someone in their lives now (his or her co-worker or Legion member who mistook friendly gestures by one of them as romantic feelings and thought something was there when it wasn’t). He or she could have casually mentioned to the killer that they had a romantic anniversary vacation upcoming, thus ruining the killer’s fantasy, and unknowingly set a brutal murder plan in motion. There are several such scenarios which could have played out where those closest to the victim would have had no idea.

I'm a new member to the Websleuths community, although I've followed a few threads in the past for cases which caught my attention. I was compelled to register and post here after seeing the footage of this poor woman's murder on a news site. To me, this case is really simple once you break it down-

If you accept that this was a targeted murder and not some crazy person committing a random violent murder in the early morning hours in suburbia, then "whodunnit" boils down to one simple question:

Did the killer know about the garage sale? If the answer is yes, then that greatly narrows the suspect pool due to the fact that the garage sale wasn't advertised publicly until that morning.

It seems highly probable due to the timing of the killer's arrival occurring just after the husband's departure that the killer intentionally waited until the husband had left for work. There are multiple reasons why that could be, and I won't speculate on that. But then, one of two things happened. Either the killer: a) showed up to murder EB, unaware of the garage sale, planning on murdering her by ringing the doorbell and shooting her or perhaps sneaking into the house to commit the crime, or b) showed up to murder EB, knowing full well she would be in the driveway setting up the garage sale.

If it's scenario a, then the killer could be just about anyone connected to her, her husband, her family, or her ring of social acquaintances in some way... anyone from a co-worker who secretly harbored an unrequited crush for years, to a business associate of the husband seeking to hurt him by killing her, to someone involved in the Star Wars group who took fantasy too far, to something more sinister closer to home.

But if it's scenario b, as I said above, I would think the suspect pool would be limited to only people very close and possibly co-workers.

The last thing I'll say about this case is what I took away from the video. Apart from the observations which have already been made here, I noticed that the killer seemed to pause for a short time (maybe 5-10 seconds) after putting the truck into park before exiting the vehicle to commit the crime. Was that due to something as simple and likely as the killer doing a quick check around for possible witnesses? Was he/she steeling his/her nerves to go ahead with the plot? Or was the sight of her right there in the driveway enough of a surprise to give the killer pause (like perhaps in scenario a where he/she had no idea a garage sale was happening)?

Also, when I first viewed the video, I thought I saw what were definite white/cream knee-high boots and a white/cream robe on the killer. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan, nor had I read about any connection to a Star Wars cosplay group at that point, but I immediately thought of the outfit Daisy Ridley's character wore in the movie. I'm glad to see that others here thought the same thing too.

I'm 50/50 on the killer's gender, 50/50 on the motive (either passion-related or financial/job-related), but I'm about 99.9% sure the police are already on to their suspect and are just gathering enough evidence to convict at this point.

I just feel awful for EB, knowing she was killed going to extra lengths so she and her husband could enjoy a wonderful anniversary trip.
One other thing you might want to consider is that the shooter also knew she was off that day as she normally would have been working.. also, welcome to WS, everyone here has cases that brought them in.. mine was Jennifer Kesse.. glad you joined..

YES!!! I agree! This is also what I think the shooter was wearing, but had a wig on or didn’t have time put their hair up or back in a ponytail.

Several people on her FB Friends list have photos with this type of costume. Now let’s hope investigators have more information regarding the shooter and the Barraza’s Xfinity Home Surveillance was working that morning.

If any of her friends on facebook have posted pictures of themselves in that costume, maybe the killer is someone who wanted to implicate one of the puctured costume wearers. Someone who was very aware of the neighbor’s camera.
Just a thought.

I so agree with those who think its a wig. Anyone who has long hair in real life would know what a hinderance it is when it falls over the face. If I wanted to shoot someone and not miss or trip while running back to the truck, a hat or ponytail would be a must!

If any of her friends on facebook have posted pictures of themselves in that costume, maybe the killer is someone who wanted to implicate one of the puctured costume wearers. Someone who was very aware of the neighbor’s camera.
Just a thought.

I so agree with those who think its a wig. Anyone who has long hair in real life would know what a hinderance it is when it falls over the face. If I wanted to shoot someone and not miss or trip while running back to the truck, a hat or ponytail would be a must!

My hair is just past my shoulders and I have to put it up just doing laundry or cooking. Seems risky to leave it down and possibly leave DNA at the crime scene.

Looks to me like a robbery at first. Victim hands over something. Maybe money. But I do t think that’s the main motive as I think the perp is wearing a thought out disguise. I think it’s a male with robe and wig. Runs like a male

Can anyone make out the footwear? Joggers and high socks?

One other thing you might want to consider is that the shooter also knew she was off that day as she normally would have been working.. also, welcome to WS, everyone here has cases that brought them in.. mine was Jennifer Kesse.. glad you joined..

Excellent point about knowing she would be home! The only way I could see the killer not knowing she would be home for the entire day would be if there was typically a window of time between when her husband left for work and when EB left for work (not sure if that was the case or not). Let’s say he normally left for work at around 6:45 and she didn’t leave until 7:30, and the killer had surveilled them enough days prior to know this, that might explain why the killer struck when he/she did.

Either way, it’s pretty clear that the killer did know she would be there at that time on that day, regardless of whether he/she knew about the garage sale. That person had to know this by watching the morning routine for several days in advance or by being told she had the day off by her or someone close to her.

Bump for Liz. I remain puzzled as to why the killer stopped her/his truck in the street instead of simply pulling up into Liz's driveway. The only reason I can come with might be to try to avoid surveillance cameras the Barrazas' had that could pick up the truck's license plate, which has been already mentioned here. If that was the case, then I certainly would believe the killer did wear a disguise, for the very same reason. She/he wouldn't have known for sure that their might be other cameras neighbors had, but would know the Barraza's had one, if they had been to the home before.
I'm thinking like some of you- there will be an arrest soon. Let's hope so!

Was she selling any Star Wars memorabilia?

Could it be a crazy fan of Star Wars?Or had she not advertised prior to her demise?

Terrible tale whatever it turns out to be...

RIP Elizabeth
She was selling a Stormtrooper’s helmet, according to the news. I don’t know what else. It doesn’t look like the killer took anything though.

Did the killer know about the garage sale? If the answer is yes, then that greatly narrows the suspect pool due to the fact that the garage sale wasn't advertised publicly until that morning.

One thing I recalled reading in the media reports early on was that she did this every year. One of her neighbors helped her the year prior and said she sold "nice things". If that's the case then the advertisement requirement might not be necessary if she did it to raise money for her anniversary. It also lends credence to the idea it was someone close who knew the anniversary date.

Reported here Woman shot point blank while setting up garage sale in Tomball area

Novice speculation though.

Excellent point about knowing she would be home! The only way I could see the killer not knowing she would be home for the entire day would be if there was typically a window of time between when her husband left for work and when EB left for work (not sure if that was the case or not). Let’s say he normally left for work at around 6:45 and she didn’t leave until 7:30, and the killer had surveilled them enough days prior to know this, that might explain why the killer struck when

In houston, a lot of people that work in o&g fields often get options to work 9 hour days and get every other friday off. Not sure if EB is in that field or not, but if so it would explain how it could be predictable that she would be home

“Authorities say the Barrazas didn't publicize the garage sale and only put up signs about it that morning.” ... from
Murdered Tomball woman was about to go on anniversary trip

Dear Medstudies,

Thank you for the link!

I was shocked when I read about the time between when her husband drove off and the truck showed up - 4 minutes!

From the news article you shared with us (above):

"The surveillance video also shows Barraza's husband leaving the home around 6:48 a.m. and the shooter's truck pulling up at 6:52 a.m."

Dear Medstudies,

Thank you for the link!

I was shocked when I read about the time between when her husband drove off and the truck showed up - 4 minutes!

From the news article you shared with us (above):

"The surveillance video also shows Barraza's husband leaving the home around 6:48 a.m. and the shooter's truck pulling up at 6:52 a.m."
I wonder how their neighborhood works. would it be possible that her husband passed this truck on his way out of the neighborhood?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member