UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -teen arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said I require evidence that is all. You are victim friendly, however one member is named in the trial. I have followed from the start, just not on here via friends who live local.

Named at the trial? You mean Toni?

Hhhhmmm yeah ... not named by the police as a suspect though.
Not named by the judge as a defendant.
Not named by anyone other than the Accused in a desperate attempt to glean yet more sick perverse thrill from what he's done.

You keep mentioning 'friends who are local' - are these 'friends' also 'friends' with the Accuseds family?

I mean, you can ask my fellow Websleuthers - if there's anyone playing Devils Advocate in a case, it's me but this time ... there's just too much evidence staring everyone (but you) in the face!

His pants and underwear were found at the beach? How far is that from the crime scene? That is just so weird to me! I can't imagine killing someone, going home and showering and then taking my clothes from the assault and murder and just taking them for a walk on the beach. And then what? Accidentally dropping your clothes but not picking them up? Taking them out to dispose of them but forgetting or failing?

I can picture more a panicked run home carrying pants and underwear and dropping them. But it still seems crazy to not put them back on. But it doesn't make any more sense to me to take them back out after the fact either. That's one of things where I could think someone did set someone up and dumped their clothing. But if you are going to do that the crime scene seems a better place than the beach.

Anyone remember a crime where the suspect left his pants and underwear behind or abandoned somewhere else?
Surely this would be easy to clarify by accused CCTV what clothes he was wearing if they matched the ones found or if he was clever could have worn two layers of clothes to deceive camera .
Maybe he thought leaving it on a tidal beach would eliminate DNA . Would his Mum not recognize clothes or are they unrelated to case or from another person related to case but not found.
Was there stab wounds on the body and is there relevance with the knife found on beach or could this be unrelated as it is unclear if there is DNA connecting the accused to these items.
I'm guessing from his defense that he knows his sperm is on body and that there is no other way of explaining that.

Quite unusual

Surely DNA from the clothes and knife/ implement/ condom/ Aleshas injuries would prove whether TM was involved ( or not, am pretty sure not!). I’m not sure when this would be brought up...but I guess this will be covered in the prosecution cross exam if the accused gives evidence.
I do think there’s something quite fishy about TM and the accuseds relationship, and I find it extremely strange that he entered the house without anyone knowing, possibly TM and RM were pretty out of it though.
If assaulting Alesha then surely only point of using condom would be to cover DNA so why would you leave it at scene

I am reluctant to ask this, but if anyone can clear this up it would be helpful.
Regarding the accuseds story about the condom, is he suggesting that a condom that was found at the scene of the crime was planted, or is he suggesting that TM poured the contents of a condom at the scene of the crime?
Not confirmed yet by the case

Hi been following this day 1 of the trial . I’m local to glasgow and wasn’t sure if trial was open to the public . I was thinking of going along but thankfully I’ve been busy this week .. don’t think I could have sat through some of the evidence . I was surprised when I saw some of the boys videos, he’s most definitely is not a Ned, he lives not far from aleshas grandparents but not next door. The biggest problem I have with this is how he got her out the house .

If assaulting Alesha then surely only point of using condom would be to cover DNA so why would you leave it at scene

I was confused also about the condom the other day but then a fellow websleuther clarified it for me.

DNA, semen, was found at the scene. To explain that away the accused said he had sex with Toni earlier in the night and they used a condom and Toni later took the contents of the condom to the crime scene (remember accused alleges Toni is the killer) and emptied the semen from the condom and hence, that is why his dna is there. --Note, this is my summary and re-telling and understanding of what I was informed of with regard to the condom. So no, there was no condom, only a reference to one by the accused to explain away why his semen was at crime scene.

I was out all day today so have only managed to catch up on today’s discussion now. Just a few observations.

a) The accused’s Mum claimed he didn’t understand DNA or words to that effect. However, I’m struggling to believe that now given the witness testimonies today regarding discussions with the accused about true crime documentaries they had watched. We all know if you watch true crime, the subject of DNA will come up.

b) The more I think of it, and if he is guilty, the more inclined I am to believe he acted on impulse rather than planned. Had it been planned, I think he would have been better at hiding Alesha and disposing of his things. It really didn’t take long to find her at all.

c) I don’t know what to make of the witness asking for the screen to be removed. I find it quite admirable in a way because it was a pretty bold thing to do to stand out from his peers and face the accused. I can’t make up my mind whether this witness thinks the accused is guilty or not.

d) If he does take the stand, I think it will be at his own insistence as he believes he can outsmart or outcharm the jury. Classic sociopathic trait. When someone thinks they can outsmart a courtroom, my mind always goes to Bundy representing himself.

All MOO.

Great Post, I agree with a lot of these observations and have thought also about the points you raise so I am going to bounce off your post and share what I think/speculate.

DNA....I am a bit confused about what the mom relayed with regard to her conversation with her son , the accused, about DNA being able to determine who the killer/rapist is/was. I think perhaps the Mom was suggesting to her son that he 'fess up or perhaps she was feeling her son out to see what his reaction would be. I do think in her heart of hearts Mom was somewhat scared that her son may have had something to do with Alesha's disappearance and murder. I think she may have been trying to "feel him out" or get a reaction out of him to assess his demeanor. I am only speculating and this is moo. In light of the DNA conversation with his mom, it is interesting to note that the accused subsequently came along with a theory to explain away his DNA at the scene.

I too am inclined to believe that the accused acted impulsively, but I am not sure to what degree - spur of the moment or late in the evening while he seemed to be having "an emotional" moment/time (per his friend that testified about the accused lying on the bed crying about this that and the other). But just because I think accused may have acted impulsively that doesn't mean, in my minds eye, that what he did was not premeditated at some point late that evening/wee early morning, his impulsiveness could have been brewing for just a bit. I have no idea but I am curious about that. I do not think the crime the accused committed was planned for days in advance, I think something snapped that evening/early morn and perhaps the opportunity to take Alesha presented itself and the accused acted on that or perhaps he pre-planned and devised a way to sneak in and take her and brutalize her within a short period of time before doing so. Like maybe when he called Toni and did not get an answer and he could not secure pot.

I believe the young man that asked to have the screen removed was testifying for the prosecution and therefore wanted to face-off or stand up to the accused. Although friends that testified today explained they were friends with the accused they also brought forward questionable information regarding the accused so I do not think their testimony was friendly in any way.

Hopefully, in his own best interest, he will not testify and I am sure his attorneys are mortified over the possibility.

What a sad case. So very senseless. I want to hate the accused because I hate what he did to Alesha but in reality I just feel so very sad for him, his family and who the accused maybe could have been had he not done what he did. I know little about him but I do know I do not have a problem with him being held accountable for what he did. For all any of us know (given I believe he's guilty) this murder and rape was only just the beginning of more of the same acts down the road. I do not like him but, even though earlier I said "hang him and be done with him", I hope someday the accused admits his guilt, truly feels remorse, regrets what he did, develops a conscious etc. .....but sadly statistics do not really support that happening. I do believe he is psychopathic and a sociopath and even though he is only 16 years old I believe it may be best for all of society that he be remanded to a life sentence in prison without the possibility of ever getting out. I would support that sentence given the brutality inflicted upon the victim and the fact that the victim was robbed of her life. He does need to pay, no excuses allowed and no sympathy for him.

Last edited:
Great Post, I agree with a lot of these observations and have thought also about the points you raise so I am going to bounce off your post and share what I think/speculate.

DNA....I am a bit confused about what the mom relayed with regard to her conversation with her son , the accused, about DNA being able to determine who the killer/rapist is/was. I think perhaps the Mom was suggesting to her son that he 'fess up or perhaps she was feeling her son out to see what his reaction would be. I do think in her heart of hearts Mom was somewhat scared that her son may have had something to do with Alesha's disappearance and murder. I think she may have been trying to "feel him out" or get a reaction out of him to assess his demeanor. I am only speculating and this is moo. In light of the DNA conversation with his mom, it is interesting to note that the accused subsequently came along with a theory to explain away his DNA at the scene.

I too am inclined to believe that the accused acted impulsively, but I am not sure to what degree - spur of the moment or late in the evening while he seemed to be having "an emotional" moment/time (per his friend that testified about the accused lying on the bed crying about this that and the other). But just because I think accused may have acted impulsively that doesn't mean, in my minds eye, that what he did was not premeditated at some point late that evening/wee early morning, his impulsiveness could have been brewing for just a bit. I have no idea but I am curious about that. I do not think the crime the accused committed was planned for days in advance, I think something snapped that evening/early morn and perhaps the opportunity to take Alesha presented itself and the accused acted on that or perhaps he pre-planned and devised a way to sneak in and take her and brutalize her within a short period of time before doing so. Like maybe when he called Toni and did not get an answer and he could not secure pot.

I believe the young man that asked to have the screen removed was testifying for the prosecution and therefore wanted to face-off or stand up to the accused. Although friends that testified today explained they were friends with the accused they also brought forward questionable information regarding the accused so I do not think their testimony was friendly in any way.

Hopefully, in his own best interest, he will not testify and I am sure his attorneys are mortified over the possibility.

What a sad case. So very senseless. I want to hate the accused because I hate what he did to Alesha but in reality I just feel so very sad for him, his family and who the accused maybe could have been had he not done what he did. I know little about him but I do know I do not have a problem with him being held accountable for what he did. For all any of us know (given I believe he's guilty) this murder and rape was only just the beginning of more of the same acts down the road. I do not like him but, even though earlier I said "hang him and be done with him", I hope someday the accused admits his guilt, truly feels remorse, regrets what he did, develops a conscious etc. .....but sadly statistics do not really support that happening. I do believe he is psychopathic and a sociopath and even though he is only 16 years old I believe it may be best for all of society that he be remanded to a life sentence in prison without the possibility of ever getting out. I would support that sentence given the brutality inflicted upon the victim and the fact that the victim was robbed of her life. He does need to pay, no excuses allowed and no sympathy for him.

Great post. Again said better than I ever could.

Some of these theories are such interesting reads. Newbie post. Had to sign up to get involved

What gets me and has been playing on my mind is on the morning of July 2nd the accused messaged his group of friends a selfie with his face not in the picture, saying "found the guy that did it"

This baffles me as it's the morning Alesha was found dead, yet, it was only released to the public 3/4 days later that she was murdered and raped. So how would he have known that someone had even ''done' anything to the poor girl? Unless somehow he had some knowledge as to the condition of the girl?

Some of these theories are such interesting reads. Newbie post. Had to sign up to get involved

What gets me and has been playing on my mind is on the morning of July 2nd the accused messaged his group of friends a selfie with his face not in the picture, saying "found the guy that did it"

This baffles me as it's the morning Alesha was found dead, yet, it was only released to the public 3/4 days later that she was murdered and raped. So how would he have known that someone had even ''done' anything to the poor girl? Unless somehow he had some knowledge as to the condition of the girl?

Welcome Resident23.

Good Point.

Two things to add this morning from a quick catch up read.

Has anyone a theory about why he was barefoot in one of the cctv footages from his mum's house? That seems v odd to me.

Second thing, and apologies for being so graphic, but I doubt he wanted to hide her. The manner in which she was left suggests to me classic pose the victim to shock. And in this case cause maximum harm to her family.

Just my opinions.

Two things to add this morning from a quick catch up read.

Has anyone a theory about why he was barefoot in one of the cctv footages from his mum's house? That seems v odd to me.

Second thing, and apologies for being so graphic, but I doubt he wanted to hide her. The manner in which she was left suggests to me classic pose the victim to shock. And in this case cause maximum harm to her family.

Just my opinions.

Maybe barefooted to elimante footprints?

Although I don’t believe he was interested in hiding her either, i said it before but its like he wanted to get caught, attention seeking. I genuinely believe the not guilty plea is just to drag it through court to again inflict more hurt to her family. He’s twisted.

Maybe barefooted to elimante footprints?

Although I don’t believe he was interested in hiding her either, i said it before but its like he wanted to get caught, attention seeking. I genuinely believe the not guilty plea is just to drag it through court to again inflict more hurt to her family. He’s twisted.
I agree with you.

Add in some teenage "it wasnt me" reaction too, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard