CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the murders we sleuthers have looked at over the years, how many have the perpetrator bundling up and carrying the bodies over 100 miles to a different location? I think the norm is to leave the bodies where they lie or perhaps transport them to some other local area for burial.

To me, this speaks volumes that the perp is from the area where the bodies were buried, but does not explain why take that risk at all.

I don't think Joey was looking at drawings. He opened QuickBooks on his computer after that phone call.

I think he was expecting Chase's visit.

It's chilling to think he may have actually been describing the boys screaming because of what Chase did when he arrived. He doesn't know if anyone may have reported hearing the boys screaming and Jennifer Mitchley said she heard a noise and put on her porch light to look outside.

JMO

BBM... do we know this? part of testimony? or just a theory?

There is no proof they met at lunchtime. Chase's phone didn't move from the towers next to his residence at all that day and although he made 13 calls in 9 minutes when Joey arrived in Rancho Chase's phone never pinged off the two towers by Starbucks.

Do we know that Chase was at Starbucks at the time he was making or receiving a call?

What time was Joey's first ping in that area?

I think they did meet for lunch that day, although, we still never did hear how LE "verified" this, but I think we heard this from Hanke? and even Smith? Which is kind of odd.

Of all the murders we sleuthers have looked at over the years, how many have the perpetrator bundling up and carrying the bodies over 100 miles to a different location? I think the norm is to leave the bodies where they lie or perhaps transport them to some other local area for burial.

To me, this speaks volumes that the perp is from the area where the bodies were buried, but does not explain why take that risk at all.

Good point. I could see him taking the murder weapon though and maybe even the Trooper, so both vehicles weren't sitting out front for days. If Chase, or for argument sake, anyone close to them that had been there, had their DNA found in the home, it can easily be explained.

But IIRC, Joey told PM on the phone that morning he was meeting CM for a lunch meeting in Rancho that afternoon. Joey must have had intentions of meeting Chase. Why else would he tell his father about the meeting? Also, Dugal said he confirmed the meeting at Chick-Fil-A. Could CM’s phone have been off since it didn’t ping the towers near Starbucks?
I think Joey had every intention of meeting Chase for lunch.

If you think about it there isn't any way at all that DuGal could confirm whether Chase went there that lunchtime. There was no video. Joey's phone pinged there but Chase's didn't and his phone wasn't off, he was on the phone making and receiving calls at the time he says he was in Starbucks and Chick-fil-A.

The only reason Chase needed to say they met is because he knew Joey went there to meet him, and police would find that out from Patrick and Joey's phone records, and to get the cheques from Joey that were dated the 4th, which he wrote on the 5th and the 8th. If you look at the cheque serial numbers he already had the cheque stock containing those serial numbers in his possession on the 2nd.

There are also 76 missing cheques and the inference is there to be drawn that he had stolen that batch of cheques from underneath the top cheque in Joey's office before the 2nd when he started printing.

but why would Susan and Patrick willingly want to testify for the defense?

Why not? Just be honest and tell the truth. If Chase did commit the murder, then telling truth will not show that he didn't commit the murder. If Chase didn't murder the family, then telling truth can help find the murderers. Joey's brother Mike had put Chase Merritt's full name out in the front, as well as the fact that he owned a white truck, during the March 2010 interview with EquuSearch reporter Tim Miller. It was only weeks after the disappearance. No one knew the family were dead. No one, not even Patrick, had suspected Chase Merritt (except perhaps Mike):

Do we know that Chase was at Starbucks at the time he was making or receiving a call?

What time was Joey's first ping in that area?

I think they did meet for lunch that day, although, we still never did hear how LE "verified" this, but I think we heard this from Hanke? and even Smith? Which is kind of odd.
Joey's first ping in Rancho 12.52 pm.

Chase to detectives:

"Yeah. Cos he he, he called me and said um ‘what do you want to eat?’ ‘n I said I like Chick-fil-A and just like that he told me where the Starbucks was told him where it was and I, I got there, I went over and got a Starbucks coffee and then went to Chick-fil-A. Ten minutes later, he, Joseph got there."

Chase was on the phone making 13 calls between 12.52 pm and 1.01 pm at the time he said Joey arrived and he was waiting for him. OS sets out all the call times:

After the 12.52 phone call to the defendant, between 12.52 and 1.01, there are 13 frantic phone calls, primarily from the defendant to his, who he called his wife, who was actually his girlfriend Catherine Jarvis, she lived with him there in Rancho Cucamonga. And if you’ll notice there’s a call at 12.52, 12.54 another one at 12.54, 12.55, 12.56, 12.57 another one at 12.57, 12.58, 12.59, finally she calls him back at 1.00, that’s all in a period of nine minutes.

Would you think it possible at all that the defense team may also want to find the real killers and seek true justice for the family? If Chase was not the killer, defending him is the first step toward finding the real killer.

No, respectfully I don't think CM or his DT wants to find the killer, anymore than OJ did,

imo

6.08 pm - device 5 - Bookmark for QuickBooks Online was accessed.

It's in evidence.

45.57 in video

That was a yahoo search for quickbooks online that was bookmarked, which is kinda weird if you ask me lol I don't normally bookmark "searches", although I bet I have a few that I bookmarked by accident LOL

He didn't log into Quickbooks at that time, not the Custom account or the Contact account, we have those logs from Hanke's testimony (see attached)

Attachments

• Feb 4 device 5 yahoo search QB.JPG
    Feb 4 device 5 yahoo search QB.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2
  • QB last activity on Contact acct.JPG
    QB last activity on Contact acct.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2
  • QB last activity on Custom Acct feb 4.JPG
    QB last activity on Custom Acct feb 4.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
Why not? Just be honest and tell the truth. If Chase did commit the murder, then telling truth will not show that he didn't commit the murder. If Chase didn't murder the family, then telling truth can help find the murderers. Joey's brother Mike had put Chase Merritt's full name out in the front, as well as the fact that he owned a white truck, during the March 2010 interview with EquuSearch reporter Tim Miller. It was only weeks after the disappearance. No one knew the family were dead. No one, not even Patrick, had suspected Chase Merritt (except perhaps Mike):

Sounds just like Sharon Rocha, poor woman. She held on to Scott being innocent for a long time until she just couldn't deny it anymore.

No family member wants to ever believe a loved one in their family or a best friend could ever do something so evil, yet it happens time, and time again, many times over.

imo

They dont have any choice in the matter, Whoever is served must show up or face contempt.

I don't imagine they will do it "willingly"

I know which qualifies them as hostile witnesses, if the defense had to subpoena them. Perhaps 'adverse witness' is a more appropriate term. I can't imagine Dan being too co-operative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member