Found Deceased AL - Amberly Barnett, 11, Mt. Vernon, DeKalb County, 1 Mar 2019 #2 *ARREST*

From your link.....

“Police were called and it didn't take long for family members to question why Madison was searching the same spot.”

“He says, well, I’m going to go back up there and search one more time and he went back up there in the same spot and kept saying nothings up here and that’s where they found her body,” said John Wayne Barnett.”

“Crane says cadaver dogs found Amberly's body about two hundred yards behind Madison's home Saturday morning.”

What a dumdum! So he thought since HE had cleared it they'd just believe him lol?

Can you point to any post or any article that suggests women (and little girls), need to cover themselves? How is this at all relevant to the conversation? Maybe I missed something?

This kid should've been able to walk down the street naked and not been subject to assault and murder by some weirdo. What's your point?

This might be your best post ever! I give you a million thumbs up, but only 1 like bc that’s all I can give!:cool:

From your link.....

“Police were called and it didn't take long for family members to question why Madison was searching the same spot.”

“He says, well, I’m going to go back up there and search one more time and he went back up there in the same spot and kept saying nothings up here and that’s where they found her body,” said John Wayne Barnett.”

“Crane says cadaver dogs found Amberly's body about two hundred yards behind Madison's home Saturday morning.”

Wow no wonder they were able to figure it all out so quickly.....

It's all very true. But in a sense, there wasn't much that could be done to prevent this either, without major changes in our society, IMO. Like a lot more help to people with issues. More social programs for single parents. More affordable housing. Free and high quality childcare. Parenting programs and assistance. Better treatment of addiction and mental health issues.

Tall order. High cost.
Amen... but sooo worth it!

I'm not blaming anyone but the murderer. I've said that clearly and am not sure how I can make that any clearer.

Those of us who have the sense that this was a vulnerable child who may not have been protected as she should've been aren't blaming anyone else. Not victim blaming. Not blaming her family. It's simply a fact and noteworthy that vulnerable children are more at risk of this kind of thing.

The only reason I brought that up was due to the discussion about make up and social media access and whether those are or can be relevant to what happened to her.

My opinion is that they may be relevant to whether she was vulnerable child or even neglected.

Of course I don't know if she was neglected. I can't say that definitively. But:

1. She wasn't living with her parents. So something went wrong.
2. She was living in close proximity to a violent criminal. Something her caregivers had to have known, IMO.
3. Despite that, she was left unattended.
4. She had multiple social media accounts. At age 11. Which included photos of her in very heavy, adult-style make-up. Pouting and posing.
5. This child is featured in various social media photos heavily made up and not just for dance class, from what I can tell. Her make up is very adult.

All of that combined signals something to me. That this was a vulnerable child who may not have been protected by those responsible for her.

But more importantly, all of that signals that she was a vulnerable child to predators who would then see her as easy prey.

That's the issue.

I can't blame anyone else because there are various reasons why a child can become vulnerable and at risk which aren't anyone's fault, such as mental illness, physical illness or financial issues of the parents, among other things.

My only point is for those demanding we not mention her appearance or social media access, as s if those of us discussing that issue are victim blaming, they're not understanding the issue.

I see a lot of things that make it appear that this child had major difficulties in her life and was easy prey for the monster who came across her path.

I don't even think much can reasonably be done to make all our children less vulnerable or even most of them. It's all so complex. But whoever mentioned getting involved, like becoming a CASA. That's a great idea. There are small things we can do to make a child's life better.
Thank you...beautifully put.

Last edited:
There is so much about this case that is tragic, on so many levels, it is just heartbreaking. Thank goodness LE found her quickly and arrested this monster before he grew enough brain function to run off.

I have lots to say on the topic, but I don't think any amount of "anti-victim training" type behavior would have been helpful when we are discussing an 11-year-old. Her mother's posts painted the picture of a fighting hellcat; but you have to be old enough and mature enough to sense that something is wrong in someone's approach, that makes a "fighting hellcat" type of response called for. It seems pretty clear that Amberly was groomed by, or at very least comfortable, with this evil man. I even heard once upon a time, that a youngster who will eagerly and willingly bond at a moment's notice with a stranger, is the sign of a youngster who doesn't see enough family attention and affection and is always looking for another source. You want an aloof baby/child who first cringes away from strangers and eyes them suspiciously.

I agree there is no way to save them all. We live in a broken world and evil lurks, but honestly, doing something is always better than nothing.

Become a mentor or a tutor to at risk youth to expand their circle of adults who care and are tuned into their lives.
Befriend a single parent who needs a listening ear, a cheerleader, a life skills coach, or child care.
Send someone a note of encouragement.

The more support we build up in our existing communities the less need for sweeping bureaucratic (expensive) programs.
Help a teen Mom parent differently than they were parented.
Take a chance on employing someone who could use the break.

If it sounds like I'm crazy, know that I am just a housewife and volunteer/advocate that has seen all this stuff work. Small scale, life on life effects real and meaningful change. Sure, it is sometimes messy because life is messy...but the kids in our community are not just our concern when they become victims, they should be on our minds before.

(dismounting soapbox)

I have lots to say on the topic, but I don't think any amount of "anti-victim training" type behavior would have been helpful when we are discussing an 11-year-old. Her mother's posts painted the picture of a fighting hellcat; but you have to be old enough and mature enough to sense that something is wrong in someone's approach, that makes a "fighting hellcat" type of response called for. It seems pretty clear that Amberly was groomed by, or at very least comfortable, with this evil man. I even heard once upon a time, that a youngster who will eagerly and willingly bond at a moment's notice with a stranger, is the sign of a youngster who doesn't see enough family attention and affection and is always looking for another source. You want an aloof baby/child who first cringes away from strangers and eyes them suspiciously.

True.

Sadly he wasn't a "stranger" in the traditional sense. Because the folks who gave her shelter knew him, she may have assumed he could be trusted..or at least was not a big threat because he knew her family.

I agree there is no way to save them all. We live in a broken world and evil lurks, but honestly, doing something is always better than nothing.

Become a mentor or a tutor to at risk youth to expand their circle of adults who care and are tuned into their lives.
Befriend a single parent who needs a listening ear, a cheerleader, a life skills coach, or child care.

The more support we build up in our existing communities the less need for sweeping bureaucratic (expensive) programs.

If it sounds like I'm crazy, know that I am just a housewife and volunteer/advocate that has seen all this stuff work. Small scale, life on life effects real and meaningful change. Sure, it is sometimes messy because life is messy...but the kids in our community are not just our concern when they become victims, they should be on our minds before.

(dismounting soapbox)

Oh you're not crazy at all. You've given some of the most sound advice I've ever seen on websleuths. Indeed, there IS something each of us can do besides just talking about it and expressing our agony.

And you are 100% right. I've seen firsthand what mentors and child advocates can do for at risk kids. Incredible.

You want an aloof baby/child who first cringes away from strangers and eyes them suspiciously.

I don't. My children, all had differing personalities. None of them ever "cringed and eyed people suspiciously" They were happy, friendly youngsters and I liked them that way.

They were kind, polite kids (for the most part! Lol) . They were taught boundaries, but those did not include cringing. Ever. (In fact I would have been alarmed if I had seen them do that.)

May I ask if sexual assault is part of the charges? I know we're all discussing it, but I wasn't sure if we are just assuming he raped her, or if we know that he did?

I understand the likelihood, just curious if the charges were anything other than murder.

What can we do to prevent sex crimes?Good question. I asked a homicide detective from Kansas City that question years ago. He said don't leave children alone. He also said it was the one crime, the only crime, that could never be changed. In other words, he said that if a jewel thief is close to getting caught, had a certain MO that the police were figuring out, he could switch to being a bank robber. Or a mugger, or a con artist. But the homicide detective said sex criminals are sexually oriented that way, just like we all are sexually oriented in some fashion. For example, I am now old, but when I was younger, I was oriented towards men.
I wasn't oriented towards violence. So nothing could change that. Sex is sort of hard wired. He said that's why nothing can change them.
This devil was oriented towards young girls, maybe children. Certainly not boys. And oriented towards taking them forcefully, a violent man. What can a child do to prevent that, according to the detective. Don't be alone. Is any one at fault? Yes. The predator.
He might've had urges to commit a crime for awhile now. He may have abused his own kids, or
I've never known a non special needs kid who was afraid of strangers. It's natural to be welcoming to strangers. But his man wasn't a stranger. Plus he had the girl all alone. No mean stares or locked doors was going to save her

(dismounting soapbox)

Why am I on Websleuths? Mrs. Night Watchman has asked me that. I haven’t had a good answer for her underappreciated sarcasm.

For entertainment? That would be pathetic.

So I can bash the criminals that commit these the horrible crimes? No, I don’t waste my energy on that.

Because I can solve a crime? I probably actually think that deep down inside, and at the same time I realize that will never be the case.

To provide a potentially useful tip to LE? OK, maybe. Only happened once, in the LISK case- and the guy hasn’t been arrested yet...

To help find a missing person? I guess that I hope so at some point. I have learned a lot about finding missing people here. I'm looking into getting a drone with infrared imaging.

So I can be prepared if something happens in my local community? Probably.

Comraderie with WebSleuthers? Yes.

What is the impact of my time and effort? A bag of hammers and not much more.

Your post is eye opening to me. Thank you. We can’t save the world, but maybe we can help a child's world.

I will try.

I don't. My children, all had differing personalities. None of them ever "cringed and eyed people suspiciously" They were happy, friendly youngsters and I liked them that way.

They were kind, polite kids (for the most part! Lol) . They were taught boundaries, but those did not include cringing. Ever. (In fact I would have been alarmed if I had seen them do that.)

You all might be talking/envisioning different ages of children. It's actually on par developmentally for infants to hit a stage where they cry, look fearful/confused, plain dont trust strangers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1
Back