Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D:D:D

College Admission Scam Involved Photoshopping Kids’ Heads Onto Athletes’ Bodies

12-student-athlete-photoshop.w700.h467.2x.jpg

Rankles my feather too. My youngest has learning disabilities, failed kindergarten, needed tutoring, plus has 3 legal medical disabilities. The school and I went thru so many hoops to get help. By 7th grade she was finally caught up and had an opportunity to sit for the ACT. She out scored the 12th grader sitting next to her. Why? Because she worked so hard just to be normal. It does NOT take money nor fraud, it takes student EFFORT. My kid is now in her junior year of college, free ride on academics.

Bravo and congratulations :)
Life is hard and life's lessons harder. Success is not simply measured by $$$ and possessions. True success is knowing you did it the right way and you can sleep at night. Honesty and pride mean the world to me. KWIM.

I know you are incredibly proud of your daughter.

Reporter Ryan Reilly has the best twitter coverage with this article link....

Ryan J. Reilly‏Verified account @ryanjreilly
Most of the parents charged in the college bribery scandal are extraordinarily wealthy. The odd man out: the associate professor of dentistry who allegedly refinanced his house and made installment payments to scam his daughter into USC as a lacrosse star. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/college-admissions-bribery-scandal-whos-who_n_5c87cee0e4b0fbd7661e0b01 …
3:33 PM - 12 Mar 2019

Reporter Ryan Reilly has the best twitter coverage with this article link....

Ryan J. Reilly‏Verified account @ryanjreilly
Most of the parents charged in the college bribery scandal are extraordinarily wealthy. The odd man out: the associate professor of dentistry who allegedly refinanced his house and made installment payments to scam his daughter into USC as a lacrosse star. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/college-admissions-bribery-scandal-whos-who_n_5c87cee0e4b0fbd7661e0b01 …
3:33 PM - 12 Mar 2019

Every single one of the examples in this article makes me want to throw up.

Rankles my feather too. My youngest has learning disabilities, failed kindergarten, needed tutoring, plus has 3 legal medical disabilities. The school and I went thru so many hoops to get help. By 7th grade she was finally caught up and had an opportunity to sit for the ACT. She out scored the 12th grader sitting next to her. Why? Because she worked so hard just to be normal. It does NOT take money nor fraud, it takes student EFFORT. My kid is now in her junior year of college, free ride on academics.
This is fantastic, you should be very proud!

But why care more about the scores when kids are getting scores that are good enough to get into most colleges?

IIRC, when we studied these prep-tests in psychometrics in college, we learned they make very little difference overall. I don't recall exactly, but research then showed the prep classes only improved scores by an average of 1 or 2 points. A well designed test should accurately measure your intelligence and academic knowledge without you having to "study" for it. You either know the material well enough to be randomly tested on it or you don't. Teachers would do a review, etc. In grad school, they recommended re-reading your last textbook for any subject you felt was your weakest, but that was about it.

Before computers, I studied from a book for my Grad school entrance exam. It made a tremendous difference as I learned the form of the test.

I can't see anything about the doctors that were used to get all these exemptions, they have to have been paid off, right? I wonder will they face sanction from the medical boards?

Surely thats something that will be easy to change, rather than allow individual doctors to sign off on extra test time, allow individual doctors to refer people to a panel of doctors that will confirm or deny the need for extra time for standardized tests.

Its sad that these people with all their privilege have put doubt on people who legitimately need extra time.

I have no access to the ultra wealthy, just to the wealthy.

It starts young and I bet it is at everyone’s elementary school. Parents doing the project for the science fair.

When my kids were in high school, some parents were in Hawaii. The mother dictated a paper for her daughter to turn into achool.

My friend taught at a fairly wealthy elementary school. Before computers, a child had a paper typed by a father’s secretary.

How about preschool for the ultra rich? I wonder what tricks are used to get into preschool?

I wonder how honest the grades are in elementary and up in ultra rich schools? I bet a teacher is scared about getting fired if s/he does not provide good grades for powerful parent’s children.

How about sports and how competitive parents are with kid’s sports?

*facepalm*

Good lord these clowns are desperate. These people are already multi-millionaires. I mean what's the point? It's not like their children will be destitute paupers if they don't get a premium name on their degrees.

Doesn't anyone realize photos can come back and haunt you? If you aren't an amazing athlete won't that be noticed? The same could be said for not living up to test scores. If these are the people in ivy league or prestigious universities why bother going to them? Why get stuck with loans for a school and is teaching towards kids that cheated and can't keep up?

Ah, here we go. Not so sure of the accuracy of this link but it's what's out there. I have absolutely no problem with these guys having money. It is what it is. And like I said, this criminal foolishness is pointless when you have these resources.

From link: Combined net worth of Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy: $45 million

Felicity Huffman and William H Macy Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth
Yes & for a net worth like that, they could’ve founded their own college & awarded their loser kids a degree in social media...

The Amazon ad made me gag... Getting paid ad dollars to celebrate the lie. So disgusted with this story. I don’t believe for a minute the kids & husbands didn’t know. Jail time for everyone please!

Yes & for a net worth like that, they could’ve founded their own college & awarded their loser kids a degree in social media...

The Amazon ad made me gag... Getting paid ad dollars to celebrate the lie. So disgusted with this story. I don’t believe for a minute the kids & husbands didn’t know. Jail time for everyone please!

Or they could give their kids money and let them rent near a campus.

According to what I've read, this investigation is far from over.
I’m guessing that’s why much of Hollywood is so uncharacteristically tweetless tonight... The rich & famous can’t be expected to post proud pics of their fabulous offspring at community college, now can they?
What happens to these students admitted fraudulently now? Will they get the boot, I wonder?

Change in the number of people applying to college--rising rapidly. Elite colleges wanting to get the best and brightest as well--- however, they defined that.
Well... they did get the best & brightest. The best cheaters & the brightest liars. Demonstrates real motivation. Gumption. Go-getter-ness.
Besides cheating worthy students out of those seats, this fiasco really dumbs down an Ivy-Leage education. No one will know for sure if the spot was bought or earned.

Well... they did get the best & brightest. The best cheaters & the brightest liars. Demonstrates real motivation. Gumption. Go-getter-ness.
Besides cheating worthy students out of those seats, this fiasco really dumbs down an Ivy-Leage education. No one will know for sure if the spot was bought or earned.

It's the parents paying money this doesn't involve creativity or effort on the kids part. They aren't even good at cheating.

If you've ever spent much time around the top people in business, finance, etc. you'll know this is often true. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed, but they have good connections and smart, well educated people who work for them. These days, executive IT systems pretty much make it so anyone can run a corporation, even a computer.

The exceptions I've seen for people with good Ivy League educations are in practicing law, practicing physicians, medical research, engineering and similar disciplines where you can't "fake it".

It's kind of disheartening to read how this has been going on for a while because it seems to only lead to them saying everybody does this. As of course not everybody does but this seems to lead to a way for them saying it wasn't so wrong...

At the same time all these parents involved are basically saying their kids aren't smart enough or have no talent to advance further in their own lives. So it makes no sense with all the money you had why didn't you simply sign them up for tutoring or other more legal ways to help your own child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa