CANADA Canada - Allan 'Kenley' Matheson, 20, Wolfville, NS, 21 Sept 1992

Thanks for posting the article. Kenley's web site has been updated. I found a few more articles, added them to his site too

Reward. In 2012, the case was added to the Nova Scotia Department of Justice’s Reward for Major Unsolved Crimes Program. Anyone with information is asked to contact the RCMP at 902-679-5561, or contact Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or texting a tip - Tip 202 + your message to 274637

Really good article, thanks for posting!
From link.
attachment.php

A photo of Allan Kenley Matheson from shortly before his disappearance, and an age progression sketch of what he may look like today. (CONTRIBUTED / Herald composite)
Went missing
Sept. 21, 1992 from Acadia University in Wolfville.
Born
May 8, 1972, he was 20 at the time of his disappearance.
Height/weight
5’ 9” and weighed 150 lbs. at time of disappearance.
Interests
Kenley was an avid reader who enjoyed hiking and dirt biking. He was also a strong swimmer and a Montreal Canadiens fan.
Facts courtesy of the Cape Breton Post
On Sept. 7, 1992, Matheson and Willis, who was 18 at the time, began their first year of university at Acadia. Matheson had taken two years off after his high school graduation in Cape Breton to drive a motorcycle across the country, plant trees in British Columbia, try to save the rainforests in South America, and visit Guatemala and Belize.

RCMP say he had travelled with some friends to Corkum’s Island in Lunenburg County and upon his return to Acadia the weekend of Sept. 18, he attended a party on campus. He was later seen by his sister and others at Crowell Tower (Acadia University) on Sept. 20. He was last seen by a friend walking on Main Street in Wolfville on Sept. 21, wearing blue jeans, a purple T-shirt, a red and black backpack and a ball cap. His passport, clothes, and toiletries were left behind. There has been no contact with family members or friends and there has been no activity on his bank account.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasc...s-25-years-after-he-goes-missing-in-wolfville

Attachments

• B97720620Z.120170921183642000GHJIDS6V.11.jpg
    B97720620Z.120170921183642000GHJIDS6V.11.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi. Is there any word on the Missing Kenley doc? Like Kenley, I was a frosh at Acadia University in September 1992. My friends and I spent a lot of time on 9th floor Crowell Tower where Kenley lived in his brief time at Acadia before he went missing. I do not remember if I ever saw or met him. I remember talk from the 9th floor guys along the lines of: he was there for the first couple of weeks and then suddenly was gone without a trace. It was discussed in a way that it was weird, rather than sinister.

Every couple of years my best friend and I chat about it. The questions are always the same, “How did he just disappear?”, “Why (though we have no information that we can remember) were we never interviewed in 1992, since we spent time there ?” “Did the police treat it seriously as possible foul play?” I was at Acadia for five years and I have no memories of people being questioned or of it being thoroughly investigated (not to say it wasn’t, but we weren’t aware of it).

My heart breaks for his family. I hope this documentary is, in fact, being made. I’m tempted to start doing some investigating myself. I just dug out my old student directory from 1992-93.

Hi. Is there any word on the Missing Kenley doc? Like Kenley, I was a frosh at Acadia University in September 1992. My friends and I spent a lot of time on 9th floor Crowell Tower where Kenley lived in his brief time at Acadia before he went missing. I do not remember if I ever saw or met him. I renember talk from the 9th floor guys along the lines of: he was there for the first couple of weeks and then suddenly was gone without a trace. It was discussed in a way that it was weird, rather than sinister.

Every couple of years my best friend and I chat about it. The questions are always the same, “How did he just disappear?”, “Why (though we have no information that we can remember) were we never interviewed in 1992, since we spent time there ?” “Did the police treat it seriously as possible foul play?” I was at Acadia for five years and I have no memories of people being questioned or of it being thoroughly investigated (not to say it wasn’t, but we weren’t aware of it).

My heart breaks for his family. I hope this documentary is, in fact, being made. I’m tempted to start doing some investigating myself. I just dug out my old student directory from 1992-93.
Welcome to Ws bekbak, thanks for the interesting tidbits!

Welcome to Ws bekbak, thanks for the interesting tidbits!
Thanks! I so wish I had more to offer. I am very interested in knowing where things stand with that doc! I might start Facebook messaging some of the guys from 9th to ask what they remember and whether they were ever interviewed...

Hi. Is there any word on the Missing Kenley doc? Like Kenley, I was a frosh at Acadia University in September 1992. My friends and I spent a lot of time on 9th floor Crowell Tower where Kenley lived in his brief time at Acadia before he went missing. I do not remember if I ever saw or met him. I remember talk from the 9th floor guys along the lines of: he was there for the first couple of weeks and then suddenly was gone without a trace. It was discussed in a way that it was weird, rather than sinister.

See his google site that I put together using the google cache of his family's web site that had been taken offline. I've then added to it over the years but haven't in a while because I hadn't seen anything new.

Be sure to see his facebook page run by his sister. You should also hit her up via messenger to see what she suggests you do to help. Forget it, apparently she took the page offline for some reason.

Missing Kenley the documentary FB page is still online, contact them.

I do have his sisters and mothers email addies. I emailed his sister, it didnt bounce. Hopefully she replies. Possible it's just emotionally draining for her. They were very close.

Missing Kenley Documentary facebook page - 8/07/2013

Allan Kenley Matheson Missing Person- Family Run Facebook Page

Last edited:
See his google site that I put together using the google cache of his family's web site that had been taken offline. I've then added to it over the years but haven't in a while because I hadn't seen anything new.

Be sure to see his facebook page run by his sister. You should also hit her up via messenger to see what she suggests you do to help. Forget it, apparently she took the page offline for some reason.

Missing Kenley the documentary FB page is still online, contact them.

I do have his sisters and mothers email addies. I emailed his sister, it didnt bounce. Hopefully she replies. Possible it's just emotionally draining for her. They were very close.

Missing Kenley Documentary facebook page - 8/07/2013

Allan Kenley Matheson Missing Person- Family Run Facebook Page[/QUOTE

I will looking definitely try and contact the documentarian via the Missing Kenley page. The family run Facebook page is not showing up. Are you able to see it, Roselvr? I am not ready to contact the family yet. On one hand, if this were my child missing for almost 27 years I would probably be encouraged that people still care, but on the other hand...perhaps they are contacted all the time, all to no useful end and that must be so painful.

I will looking definitely try and contact the documentarian via the Missing Kenley page. The family run Facebook page is not showing up. Are you able to see it, Roselvr? I am not ready to contact the family yet. On one hand, if this were my child missing for almost 27 years I would probably be encouraged that people still care, but on the other hand...perhaps they are contacted all the time, all to no useful end and that must be so painful.

That's what I said in my last post; that his missing page that's run by his sister is offline. I emailed her but she didnt reply. I know it's a lot on her emotionally as they were really close. They'd be thankful to have his remains so they at least had somewhere to visit him.

Your only option is to contact the documentary page which his sister of not running. I'd do it now.

Let us know it you make out.

The Doe Network: Case File 427DMNS
AMatheson.jpg
AMatheson1.jpg
AMatheson2.jpg

Left: Matheson in 1992; Center and Right: Matheson in 1989

''Allan Kenley Matheson
Missing since September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Classification: Missing
    • Date Of Birth: May 8, 1972
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 150 lbs
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Green eyes; brown hair. Light to fair complexion; slender build. He is right-handed.
    • Clothing: He was last seen wearing a Helly Hanson nylon mountain jacket, blue denim Levi 509 jeans, a red and black back pack, brown loafers and a purple ball cap (possibly 'Los Angeles Lakers'). He was also wearing a gold hoop earring in his left ear. He tended to almost always wear a baseball cap of some sort.
    • AKA: While Allan Kenley Matheson has always been called Kenley, he may be using the names Ken, Al, Allan, or using similar sounding names while retaining the same initials.
    • Other: Matheson is a very avid reader and is seldom without a book. He is an enthusiastic hiker and dirt biker. Athletically, Matheson is a very good swimmer. His favorite sport is NBA basketball and he is also a hearty Montreal Canadiens hockey fan.''
    • ''Matheson disappeared from his residence on the morning of September 21, 1992 from Wolfville, Nova Scotia. The university science student from Port Hawkesbury, N.S., was last seen that September afternoon in downtown Wolfville.
    • Prior to his disappearance, Allan Kenley Matheson had motorcycled, walked and hitchiked extensively throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico and Guatemala. ''
''Wolfville Police Department
902-542-3817

Agency Case Number: GH-1593-4-1
NCIC Number:
M-790355382
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.''

Sept 20 2021
COLD CASE: Acadia University student from Cape Breton suddenly disappeared | Saltwire
inverness-county-university-student-suddenly-disappeared-1.jpg

This photo of Kenley Matheson was taken shortly before he disappeared on Sept. 21, 1992 while attending Acadia University in Wolfville, N.S. CONTRIBUTED - Christopher Connors
“As the years have gone on, there are certain suspicions that I have, and I think that he encountered somebody at Acadia and for whatever reason, things did not end well. I don’t think he took off,” she wrote in a Facebook post. “For a long time you go along with what a lot of the theories are, but in my heart, I never really thought that happened because just knowing him, I don’t think he would have done that.”
Allan Kenley Matheson

Sept 12 2022
1663075313608.png

''WOLFVILLE, N.S. — In 1992, a freshman student at Acadia University disappeared off Main Street in Wolfville just two weeks into the school year. He hasn’t been seen since.

He left Crowell Tower on Sept. 21, 1992 wearing a nylon Helly Hansen jacket, blue jeans, a red and black backpack and brown loafers. He was also wearing a gold hoop earring in his left ear.

The focus of that mystery, Kenley Matheson’s story, is now a five-episode documentary entitled Missing Kenley.

The documentary is being screened locally Sept. 20-21.''

''The Nova Scotia Department of Justice put Matheson's case on their list of Major Unsolved Crimes Program in 2012, offering up to $150,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for his disappearance.

Simultaneous with the public premieres, and in order to make the series as accessible as possible for Canadian audiences this fall, Lamothe said the film will also be launched digitally on numerous platforms, including Amazon, GooglePlay, TubiTV, Roku, Vudu, Redbox, and PlutoTV.

For more information check out the website missingkenley.com and on Twitter (@MissingKenley).''

Oct 2022

'Lamothe said the five episodes of Missing Kenley have now been launched digitally on numerous platforms (Amazon Prime, GooglePlay, TubiTV, Roku, Vudu, Redbox, PlutoTV) and the series is starting to draw strong interest. For more information check out the website missingkenley.com.'
1665885194680.png

Last edited:
Points I've noted so far while watching the video:

- Kenley felt uncomfortable being at university. He didn't feel comfortable hanging around with the young 'kids' that were having their first experience away from home and that just wanted to party.

- Kenley was an introvert. He generally chatted comfortably with people but he normally wouldn't initiate conversation.

- 4 days prior to his disappearance, Kenley's friend from his home town (Chris) saw him on Main St but Kenley was coming from the east along the shoreline, so from out of town. He seemed uncomfortable in conversation and didn't seem himself. He told his friend that he was there because he was doing laundry at the laundromat, but there was a laundromat in his residence building and he had no laundry bag with him. Chris offered Kenley a ride back to his residence after stopping at the licquor store (where Kenley might have picked up a 6-pack) and Kenley accepted.

- Friday Sep 18, 3 days prior to his disappearance, was the big "Tower party" at his residence. Attendees say that Kenley arrived drunk. He was draping himself over several girls, including those who had boyfriends in attendance. Everyone was used to Kenley being a quiet person and his personality change caught a few people off guard, including Mike, a friend of Kayrene's (Kenley's sister).

- Saturday Sep 19, 2 days prior to disappearance, no known sightings of Kenley.

- Sunday Sep 20, 1 day prior to his diappearance, Kayrene arrives back in Wolfville after spending the weekend in Halifax. Mike tells her about Kenley's behaviour at the party. At around 4pm Kayreen goes to see Kenley. He seems dejected and remorseful. They discuss their school plans for the week and agree to meet up Monday evening to work on calculus. A resident assistant ("TB") sees Kenley in his room around 9pm. He needs his signature but Kenley will only open his door a crack (which TB says was normal for him) and "it seems like he is ironing" (although TB can't recall that later). But Henley's mother confirms that one of his quirks is that he ironed his clothes and he had an iron, despite being a spartan person.

- Monday Sep 21, last sighting... It seems that Kenley didn't go to chemistry class that day. At 2:40 pm Tom Gordon, a friend, sees Kenley after Tom leaves an ATM bank machine in downtown Wolfville. AKM was walking casually on the opposite side of Main St so they just waved at each other. Tom doesn't recall whether Kenley was wearing a backpack or not, 'he just seemed to be strolling toward town'. Kenley didn't show up for his study session with his sister that evening.

- Tues Sep 22, Kenley doesn't show up for calculus class in the morning.

- Wed. Sep 23, Kayrene doesn't see Kenley in class. She reaches out to a friend to ask if he had seen him. He hadn't. Now she was starting to get concerned. She and friend Mike go to Kenley's room. There are notes stuck to his door. The Resident Assistant "TB" came along and said he was worried about what they might find if he opened the door. The room looked like Kenley had just gone to class. Kenley calls her dad.

- Thurs Sep 24, Kenley's father drives to Wolfville and reports him missing.

That's all for the first part of the show. The next part will be the investigation.
I'm off to watch that now.

There is one scene in the video where they were discussing searching his dorm room and they showed a small stack of three books. I'd like to know if these 3 books were actually the books in AKM's room. The books were:
- A Guide for the Perplexed. By E.F. Schumacher
- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. By Tom Wolfe
- The Bachman Books. By Stephen King.

Now for the second half of the documentary...regarding the investigation:

- police say they didn't treat his room as a crime scene. They presumed he was just a person. They didn't find any evidence of a struggle.
- Regarding the book, 'The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test', investigators noted that the pages marked in the book talked about taking acid and how it felt. They said they thought this was important to the file.
- They found a bit of hash, but said that was nothing for college students so didn't think anything of it.
- His blue Helly Henson jacket was gone; there was a swede pair of shoes that were gone; a pair of jeans and his Lakers hat. His shaving kit was gone as was his backpack. His passport was still in his room. In the trash can there was a newspaper with an ad cut out...the ad was for Greenpeace.
- the end comment was that the room wasn't treated as a crime scene because they presumed Kenley was a run-away.
- there was a discrepancy as to which day the RA, TB, last saw AKM. He seemed confused as to whether it was Sunday evening or Monday evening. When pressed, TB told Kenley's sister that it was definitely Monday evening (Sep 21) when he last saw AKM and the ironing incident. TB also behaved very strangely/inappropriately when LE and AKM's family were investigating Kenley's room. But 2 years later TB made a 'correction' and said it was the Sunday that he had last seen Kenley.
- According to LE, Kenley was last seen at the bank machine in Wolfville the afternoon of Monday Sep 21, and then was seen walking west on Main St toward the arena/stadium (the visual shows a report of him 'walking past the rink'). He was reported carrying a backpack and that is the last time he was reported being seen.
- LE said they had 2 reports of someone seeing Kenley on Monday, once at the RBC bank machine at 2:40 and then the same individual said the saw Kenley around 4pm heading out of town (presumably past the arena/stadium).
- times seem confused for the Monday and what TK saw. Kenley's mother says that TG said he saw Kenley at 2pm. And then saw him again around 5pm 'heading out of town'. She presumed he meant heading east to catch a bus, but it became clear he meant west toward the arena.
- TG is shown on the video reinforcing that he only saw Kenley once on Monday...near the ATM.
- investigator checking out Kenley's room at Crowell Tower said that shaving gear, facecloth and towels were gone. Then said that he interviewed TG and TG said that he saw AKM near the ATM and that he was wearing a purple T-shirt and had a small black backpack (in contrast to TG's more recent video snip where he said he didn't know if AKM had a backpack).

I still have more to watch, but it seems like they are possibly throwing TG under the bus. On the otherhand, they also highlight that kenley was possibly troubled.

As the mother of two adult sons I find this case fascinating and disturbing. <sigh>
My older son attended Dalhousie in Halifax and he had some mental health struggles while there, which caught us totally off-guard. It's a difficult age for young people.

I'm off to watch more of the documentary. I'm finding it very well done.

Theories being put forward (on the documentary) include drugs, homosexuality (hit on or picked up by the wrong person), disagreement about a girlfriend, connections to Latin America, upsetting a local, etc.

Someone was quoted as saying that they were told that 'he never left the valley'. They took that as meaning that he was murdered there.

LE were on rotation back in the day. And they weren't used to major crime. They seemed to try their best. Hats off to them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back