CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police or family do not want people searching without permission and organization, otherwise if a crime was committed or evidence to his where abouts can be compromised and contaminated.
Well the risk of men getting injured or lost is huge. Ca seems to have enough missing person cases, imo.
It’s not at all up to the family or LE, in actuality. Anyone in the wilds riding horse, atv or hiking can always stumble upon a crime scene. Ca LE can’t mske people stay indoors.
The reservation is looking, per FB & will continue.

I have been a lurker for a very long time, and have never posted, but have been keeping updated on this case. Hopefully not violating TOS by posting this, but police now deem his disappearance suspicious.

https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.c...-merritt-cowboy-now-deemed-suspicious-police/

Makes me wonder if they have new evidence. I know they were asking the public for dashcam footage at the end of February.

I think most of us thought this from the beginning.
Sure, there’s always the possibility of a riding accident but for guys like Ben, they are not common, imo.
The absence of updates is telling, imo.
You know....the “we’ve searched area A, no results, Area B yielded nothing, etc.”.
Me think they searching for a murderer. Just speculation, moo & all that jazz.
Thanks Royals11!

Ben Tyner’s disappearance deemed suspicious - Merritt Herard

It has been nearly two months since Ben Tyner went missing in the Nicola Valley, and police now say foul play is suspected in relation to his mysterious disappearance

Personally I hope they have evidence and aren’t basing it solely on lack of such. Imo

Hopefully, leads are coming in. IMO only, there’s few suspects that had access to Ben’s horse & tack. Therefore, the suspect list is short.
ETA: fix atrocious auto correct typing

Last edited:
Hopefully, leads are co I guess in. IMO only, there’s few suspects that had access to Ben’s horse & tack. Therefore, the suspect list is short.
Short list most likely. But then again, maybe Ben had company. Someone could have come around to see Ben as he was saddling the horse to go out that Sunday morning. Horse already tacked up makes that part easier for a person who thinks about dropping Gunny off somewhere as a decoy. All MOO, of course.

I def hope they have a suspect or two and solve this soon.

Last edited:
My hunch is they've talked to enough people, friends, family,
co-workers, and others that they have eliminated accident or
intentionally disappearing.
I still think he was ambushed while out on the trail by an
unknown person committing illegal poaching of cows or game.
Sad to think about, but in these rugged parts, perps might
shoot someone rather than be caught and arrested. Especially
if perp already has a criminal record or is on probation or is a felon
carrying a gun.
Heck in my area, we've had several killings of witnesses prior
to testifying at trial. It's not that uncommon.

Short list most likely. But then again, maybe Ben had company. Some could have come around to see Ben as he was saddling the horse to go out that Sunday morning. Horse already tacked up makes that part easier for a person who thinks about dropping Gunny off somewhere as a decoy. All MOO, of course.

I def hope they have a suspect or two and solve this soon.

I’m thinking of a person from a specific group. I also think the person has been questioned several times, denying a history of issues with Ben & LE needs only video of a specific horse/stock trailer, to put a specific person behind the wheel of a truck hauling Gunny.
IMO, this is going to be someone related to Ben thru his job.
Speculation, moo, all that jazz......

My hunch is they've talked to enough people, friends, family,
co-workers, and others that they have eliminated accident or
intentionally disappearing.
I still think he was ambushed while out on the trail by an
unknown person committing illegal poaching of cows or game.
Sad to think about, but in these rugged parts, perps might
shoot someone rather than be caught and arrested. Especially
if perp already has a criminal record or is on probation or is a felon
carrying a gun.
Heck in my area, we've had several killings of witnesses prior
to testifying at trial. It's not that uncommon.

Nothing can be ruled out. I’m of the opinion Ben never rode the day he went missing.

Such a sad case. I hope his family can get answers as soon as possible

Ditto. I think they suspected Ben was murdered from the beginning. If Ben & his bro are out riding green horses, fooling around, sure they fall or antagonize the horse enough to get it bucking & might topple off. Any horse can also spook. But, an accomplished rider doesn’t usually fall off in an obscure spot, imo.
I’m just afraid this is not going to be good news for the NR family......moo, speculation.

Disappearance of B.C. rancher Ben Tyner ‘may involve criminality,’ RCMP say

The case of a rancher who has been missing in British Columbia since January is being treated as a suspicious disappearance by the RCMP.

Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says members of the southeast district major crime unit have reviewed the evidence that has been collected since Ben Tyner went missing and have determined the case may involve criminal activity.

[...]

upload_2019-3-19_22-47-25.jpeg

MISSING: BEN TYNER

Post from admin that family has been aware of this possibility.

“In light of today's news I think it would be most appropriate if we turned our attention to Ben and his family.

They have been living with the burden of this devastating and wholly unjust possibility for the past several weeks. I can only imagine the tears that have flowed.

Please, keep this gentle giant of a man, his family and his friends in your thoughts; let that guide your actions.”

Horrifically sad.
....like I posted earlier, posts made by the family from the onset made it quite clear this was much more then Ben falling from Gunny.
He’d been in Ca for a very short time, he likely didn’t know a lot of people, outside of his job. Factor in relocation, winter & the time required to get up to speed on a new ranch, he had little time to socialize outside of NR, imo.

Horrifically sad.
....like I posted earlier, posts made by the family from the onset made it quite clear this was much more then Ben falling from Gunny.
He’d been in Ca for a very short time, he likely didn’t know a lot of people, outside of his job. Factor in relocation, winter & the time required to get up to speed on a new ranch, he had little time to socialize outside of NR, imo.
I may disagree with you a bit here. Handsome cowboy, single, and new in town. I bet he drew a lot of attention. He did apparently have days off and he probably went to town some of those days. Out for breakfast. Or just coffee. I think it’s likely he made some connections. Jmo

ETA Not saying any of those connections are responsible for harming him. Maybe it wasn’t even someone he knew. Could have been random or a person breaking into his place.

RCMP say missing Merritt cowboy's disappearance suspicious

Interesting to watch the video from RCMP.
And her comments to keep in looking.

“We will continue to search as if he just went missing yesterday .”

Apologies if posted already. I found this link from a cowboy forum in Merritt and just watched the video. Found her words touching and professional.

I may disagree with you a bit here. Handsome cowboy, single, and new in town. I bet he drew a lot of attention. He did apparently have days off and he probably went to town some of those days. Out for breakfast. Or just coffee. I think it’s likely he made some connections. Jmo

ETA Not saying any of those connections are responsible for harming him. Maybe it wasn’t even someone he knew. Could have been random or a person breaking into his place.

Yeah, I think he made a few non-work acquaintances.
Iirc, he wasn’t in Ca but a couple months before going missing. I’m just afraid he met the “wrong” person.

RCMP say missing Merritt cowboy's disappearance suspicious

Interesting to watch the video from RCMP.
And her comments to keep in looking.

“We will continue to search as if he just went missing yesterday .”

Apologies if posted already. I found this link from a cowboy forum in Merritt and just watched the video. Found her words touching and professional.

Kind of contradictory.
If criminal activity is involved, it is very unlikely Ben will “waltz” back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53