OR - Public health emergency declared over measles anti-vax hotspot near Portland and NY, Jan 2019

I don’t know about other states, but here in Indiana we have Indiana School for the Deaf and Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Both are in Indianapolis.

Yes. There are schools but compare the populations now to what they were pre vaccination

Re: "schools for deaf and blind children"
These schools still exist. . . in my state and in most states in the nation.
List of schools for the deaf - Wikipedia
Category:Schools for the blind in the United States - Wikipedia

Florida School for the Deaf and Blind - Wikipedia
https://www.fsdbk12.org/about

Florida School for the Deaf and Blind
The Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind is a state-supported boarding school for deaf and blind children[1] established in 1885, in St. Augustine, Florida, United States.
[...]
The school is now the largest school of its type in the United States with 47 buildings on 82 acres (330,000 m2) of land. The school now has an annual budget of over $30 million, up from its original of $20,000. It currently serves 600 students on campus and 400 infants/toddlers and their parents through the statewide Parent Infant Program.[4]

The school is Florida's primary public school for children who are deaf or blind.
[...]

I researched the information about state schools as my friend’s mother worked at one in MN.

The comparison needs to be made about the number of students pre vaccination.

Do you know what the causes are nowadays and what they were prevax?

Science shows otherwise, even in high-risk children ... although unscientific, anecdotal opinions can sometimes vary.

That doesn’t mean the doctors who disagree actually discover different findings than their peer-reviewed scientist colleagues ... they just have a different, unscientificly based opinion. Imho

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...ys-new-decade-long-study-half-million-people/

Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccination and Autism | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians

There are highly respected physicians who speak out against some of the vaccines though. It’s not all just Jenny McCarthy followers. I have a dear friend who is very well-known and respected as a board certified emergency room physician. His son has autism. He’s done his research. He strongly believes vaccines are a concern. He’s not an uneducated idiot who doesn’t know how to read a research article. It’s possible for two educated, knowledgeable people to research a topic and arrive at very different opinions. ‍♀️

You make an interesting point. I wonder if the difference in diagnostic rates from the 60s to today might have additional contributing factors, too.

Vaccines found widespread support in America around 1812. In China, vaccines/inoculations found widespread support as early as 1000 AD. Vaccines aren’t novel or new, per se. I’m curious as to what’s so different about vaccines today compared to those of the 1800s and first half of the 20th century?

Another thing to possibly consider? The “broadened spectrum” of Autism disorders wasn’t yet defined in the 1970s, but that doesn’t mean the condition didn’t exist in the 1970s. The understanding of and definition of autism has expanded substantially since the 1990s.

Before then the criteria and definition of autism had also DRAMATICALLY changed during the 1960s, when diagnoses first started the upward spike.

Additionally the prevalence of autism may have been underestimated through the 1970s too, meaning a “spike” in diagnoses doesn’t necessarily mean the disorder is actually more prevalent.... just that tools to diagnose and treat it have also improved.

A Lost Generation: Growing Up with Autism Before the "Epidemic" | Interactive Autism Network

How autism became autism: The radical transformation of a central concept of child development in Britain

Prevalence of autism in early 1970s may have been underestimated

False and disproven claim?

I have not read where they have proven it is not from vaccines, I must have missed that tidbit.

If they don’t know what causes it then how do they what doesn’t cause it.

I graduated HS “74” never ever were there kids with autism. Never in public, on vacation, never. How did it all the sudden surface?

Has anyone else here done much reading about the possible correlation between SSRI antidepressant use during pregnancy and autism? It’s admittedly a controversial take on the issue, but one that’s being studied.

I can’t help but wonder if a public awareness campaign about those links might help convince parents that vaccines aren’t to blame? Would it help curb outbreaks like we’re seeing near Portland, I wonder?

Antidepressant use during pregnancy and risk of autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: systematic review of observational studies and methodological considerations

I think Pl94-142 the education for all children act ( Archived: ARCHIVED - Thirty-five Years of Progress in Educating Children With Disabilities Through IDEA-- Pg 10) had a huge impacr as well.

Until then, many children with issues were not in school They were in institutions.

All those children who had levels of autism were now no longer able to be hidden away. And of course, the better diagnosis.

Autism no longer means children that rock and cannot stand loud noises and are nonverbal. The definition has greatly expanded as Judith posted. Bill Gates feels he as autism as does Darryl Hannah and a bunch of famous people.

There seems to be a generic component as well.

There are so many good interventions nowadays and I am sure more will come along

I researched the information about state schools as my friend’s mother worked at one in MN.

The comparison needs to be made about the number of students pre vaccination.

Do you know what the causes are nowadays and what they were prevax?
The approach to education of individuals who are deaf-blind has changed significantly since the rubella epidemic . . .

What did you find when you "researched the information about state schools"?

History and Change in the Education of Children Who Are Deaf-Blind Since the Rubella Epidemic of the 1960s: Influence of Methods Developed in the Netherlands
The approach to education of individuals who are deaf-blind has changed significantly since the rubella epidemic occurred in the United States and Western Europe in the early 1960s.
[...]

The Role of Inclusion
Increasingly, parents want their children educated in the regular classroom with nondisabled peers. The idea of including children with the most severe disabilities in regular education classes is a topic of hot debate in the United States. Is it really effective? Can we really require that a regular education teacher develop the skills to successfully interact with, and teach, children with all different types of disabilities? It is too simple to reject the inclusion movement as a nonrealistic dream. There is ample research showing that simply through observation of their nondisabled peers, children with disabilities can learn social, play, and communication skills. In the coming period, this issue should be looked upon seriously and not rejected out of hand. Types of supports needed by children who are deaf-blind to ensure that learning is enhanced in regular classrooms must continue to be researched as to their efficacy and when and how they should be used. Such supports might include the intervenor system as was developed in Canada and technological advances such as augmentative communication devices and devices for individuals with low vision.

In the early days of deaf-blind education in Europe, as well as in the United States, strong emphasis was placed upon the distinction between educable and trainable children. In the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) in the United States, this distinction is no longer mentioned. All children regardless of their mental and/or physical impairments including combined sensory loss must receive adequate services. The system of consultation is widespread in the United States and a deaf-blind consultant assesses the child and contributes to the IEP and subsequent intervention plans regardless of the level of the child’s functioning.

Blind Students and the IEP Process

[...]
Administrative Matters
Before a student can get an individualized education plan (IEP) to meet his or her disability-related needs, that student must be identified as a student with a disability. Legally, schools have the duty to identify students in their care who might have a disability and to seek permission to evaluate these identified children; this duty is called Child Find. In addition, many children are identified based upon parental referral, and schools are obligated to take seriously parental requests for evaluation. Once a child is referred for evaluation and the school has obtained parental permission, the school must complete the evaluation in all areas of the suspected disability within a given time frame, which varies from state to state.

Federal law sets forth thirteen disability categories: autism, deaf-blindness, developmental delay, emotional disturbance, hearing impairment (including deafness), intellectual disability, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, specific learning disability, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury, visual impairment (including blindness), and other health impairment. Definitions of each disability are contained in the IDEA regulations.
[...]

The approach to education of individuals who are deaf-blind has changed significantly since the rubella epidemic . . .

What did you find when you "researched the information about state schools"?

History and Change in the Education of Children Who Are Deaf-Blind Since the Rubella Epidemic of the 1960s: Influence of Methods Developed in the Netherlands
The approach to education of individuals who are deaf-blind has changed significantly since the rubella epidemic occurred in the United States and Western Europe in the early 1960s.
[...]

The Role of Inclusion
Increasingly, parents want their children educated in the regular classroom with nondisabled peers. The idea of including children with the most severe disabilities in regular education classes is a topic of hot debate in the United States. Is it really effective? Can we really require that a regular education teacher develop the skills to successfully interact with, and teach, children with all different types of disabilities? It is too simple to reject the inclusion movement as a nonrealistic dream. There is ample research showing that simply through observation of their nondisabled peers, children with disabilities can learn social, play, and communication skills. In the coming period, this issue should be looked upon seriously and not rejected out of hand. Types of supports needed by children who are deaf-blind to ensure that learning is enhanced in regular classrooms must continue to be researched as to their efficacy and when and how they should be used. Such supports might include the intervenor system as was developed in Canada and technological advances such as augmentative communication devices and devices for individuals with low vision.

In the early days of deaf-blind education in Europe, as well as in the United States, strong emphasis was placed upon the distinction between educable and trainable children. In the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) in the United States, this distinction is no longer mentioned. All children regardless of their mental and/or physical impairments including combined sensory loss must receive adequate services. The system of consultation is widespread in the United States and a deaf-blind consultant assesses the child and contributes to the IEP and subsequent intervention plans regardless of the level of the child’s functioning.

[...]
Administrative Matters
Before a student can get an individualized education plan (IEP) to meet his or her disability-related needs, that student must be identified as a student with a disability. Legally, schools have the duty to identify students in their care who might have a disability and to seek permission to evaluate these identified children; this duty is called Child Find. In addition, many children are identified based upon parental referral, and schools are obligated to take seriously parental requests for evaluation. Once a child is referred for evaluation and the school has obtained parental permission, the school must complete the evaluation in all areas of the suspected disability within a given time frame, which varies from state to state.

Federal law sets forth thirteen disability categories: autism, deaf-blindness, developmental delay, emotional disturbance, hearing impairment (including deafness), intellectual disability, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, specific learning disability, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury, visual impairment (including blindness), and other health impairment. Definitions of each disability are contained in the IDEA regulations.
[...]

From your article.

The approach to education of individuals who are deaf-blind has changed significantly since the rubella epidemic occurred in the United States and Western Europe in the early 1960s

From your article.

The approach to education of individuals who are deaf-blind has changed significantly since the rubella epidemic occurred in the United States and Western Europe in the early 1960s
Yeah, I quoted the same excerpt at the top of my post. :)
Many state schools for deaf/blind still exist.

Remember back in the day when states had schools for deaf and blind children? Why do you suppose we do not have those anymore?

Yeah, I quoted the same excerpt at the top of my post. :)
Many state schools for deaf/blind still exist.

They exist, but from your post, it talks about rubella that made kids deaf and blind.

Rubella is the R in the MMR vaccine. Mumps, measles, rubella.

Remember back in the day when states had schools for deaf and blind children? Why do you suppose we do not have those anymore?

There are still schools for Deaf and Blind, but less "normal" blind children then there used to be, more premature children went blind from retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), now, more multiply impaired blind children, due to saving micro preemies.

More services provided in schools, but most districts have center based programs, especially for deaf students to communicate with peers. Interesting side note, deaf children at state schools learn American Sign language, and are considered "Culturally Deaf" with full immersion in Deaf Culture. Deaf students in public schools learn "Signed English", and are not considered part of the "Deaf Culture". It will be interesting to see what occurs, with improvements in cochlear implants.

Interesting re preemies as many are saved nowadays.

The schools are not filled with the results of lack of vaccinations as they were before.

Interesting re preemies as many are saved nowadays.

The schools are not filled with the results of lack of vaccinations as they were before.

Saving micro preemies is a toss up, parents are so focused on saving their baby, not so educated on the possibility of a baby who is severely multiply impaired. And there is no prediction of the outcome, some preemies have developmental delays, others have more impairments.

The follow up issue with babies, especially preemies, is that they rely on "herd immunity" to be safe. Meaning others in the community are immunized, as they are not. With less people being vaccinated getting measles, more likelyhood of these babies catching the disease, and potentially dying.

Looking at the Oakland County outbreak, I found the Yeshiva website and it said most of the infected persons were adults who had been vaccinated but a long time ago. I guess we maybe need to be looking at booster shots for adults?

DETROIT MEASLES ALERT: Nearly 15 Confirmed Cases In Past Week – Most Of Them Adults In Their 40’s

i'm in my forties now, but when i was 21 i broke out in a rash and when i went to the doctor i found out i had measles. i had been vaccinated as a child. apparently there was a cluster of young MEN my age who were spreading measles and i was one of the only females. i don't know what that meant, but i was worried the doctors might think i was sleeping around or something! i did get over it with no issues.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back