Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

What is the reason for a Probation and Parole agent at this point in time?

I would also add and someone can correct me if wrong the agent's report from what I have seen in court can cover a lot of things from any childhood issues, medical reports, school and any problems, any mental evaluations, any crimes, abuse, etc. On occasion, if perhaps there is a really sad background, I would not say it cuts much leniency most of the time but I suppose in some cases it might. It could also do the opposite I suppose? It would probably also look at the Marines and loss of jobs. Maybe Falcon can confirm if that is right because I do not swear to it that I am :)

Jayme Closs' kidnapper refuses to cooperate in presentence investigation
Jake T. Patterson, who pleaded guilty in March to kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents in their Barron, Wis., home last fall, is refusing to cooperate with authorities preparing his pre-sentencing investigation.

A letter from the probation and parole agent conducting the investigation was filed in Barron County Circuit Court Monday stating that Patterson was advised by his attorney on April 9 not to cooperate.

“Unless directed by the court, I am still planning to complete the PSI [pre-sentence investigation] with whatever information I am able to obtain,” Wisconsin Probation and Parole Agent Jennifer Sem wrote in an April 10 letter to Circuit Judge James Babler.

The Green Bay Press Gazette first reported the letter Tuesday, noting that criminal defendants don’t have to cooperate with the presentence investigation in Wisconsin. The report helps the judge determine an appropriate sentence.

[...]

Patterson won't cooperate with investigation in Closs case
[...]

Jennifer Sem, a probation and parole agent for the Wisconsin Department of Corrections, told Judge James Babler she attempted to meet with Patterson at the Dunn County Jail on April 10. He declined to be interviewed, citing the advice of his legal counsel a day earlier.

[...]

Presentence investigations are nearly always ordered in serious felony cases in state and federal courts. While the reports can play a major role in the judge's sentencing decision, the process is not particularly well-known because it is cloaked in secrecy.

Presentence investigations generally contain a biography of sorts — using interviews and documents to provide background on the defendant's criminal history, childhood, family, relationships, employment, health, chemical dependency issues and more. For that reason, the reports remain confidential and copies are only provided to the judge, prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Jamie Closs’ Kidnapper Jake Patterson Is Refusing to Cooperate Ahead of Sentencing
[...]

The presentence investigation generally consists of an interview with the defendant, a review of his or her criminal record, and a review of the specific facts of the crime. The probation or court services department prepares a report that contains all of this information and makes a recommendation to the court about the type and severity of the sentence.

A sentencing guidelines worksheet is often included in the PSI to assist the court in determining whether to depart from the guidelines and enhance or reduce the severity of the standard sentence.

It’s not entirely clear at this time why the defense is keeping Patterson away from interview scenarios, but perhaps they feel he may only hurt himself by cooperating.

[...]

Well, I do not know about anyone else but now I am curious what he does not want known. I realize we will likely never know but I would sure like to. I thought maybe he wanted to save his parents from details about childhood, etc. but I do not think his attorney would advise against that...

Patterson won't cooperate with investigation in Closs case
[...]

Jennifer Sem, a probation and parole agent for the Wisconsin Department of Corrections, told Judge James Babler she attempted to meet with Patterson at the Dunn County Jail on April 10. He declined to be interviewed, citing the advice of his legal counsel a day earlier.

[...]

Presentence investigations are nearly always ordered in serious felony cases in state and federal courts. While the reports can play a major role in the judge's sentencing decision, the process is not particularly well-known because it is cloaked in secrecy.

Presentence investigations generally contain a biography of sorts — using interviews and documents to provide background on the defendant's criminal history, childhood, family, relationships, employment, health, chemical dependency issues and more. For that reason, the reports remain confidential and copies are only provided to the judge, prosecutors and defense attorneys.

One would think it might be beneficial to him? My first reaction to this today was annoyance at even seeing his name in the news that he was not “cooperating”. Now, I’m curious.

One would think it might be beneficial to him? My first reaction to this today was annoyance at even seeing his name in the news that he was not “cooperating”. Now, I’m curious.
I second your annoyance. I'm sure in some cases that it is beneficial but I have doubts about this one. I'm guessing his attorney's think the interview will do more harm than good since he doesn't know when to shut his mouth. MOO

I second your annoyance. I'm sure in some cases that it is beneficial but I have doubts about this one. I'm guessing his attorney's think the interview will do more harm than good since he doesn't know when to shut his mouth. MOO

That's probably the closest to the reality of the situation. His attorneys realize how deranged (?) he is, and know he would prove that he needs to go away forever. As of now, playing house with his captive is the 'end' of this horrible story. Best to leave it at that IMHO.

Kidnaps a young girl, kills both of her parents, and no death penalty in this state. Yeah, LWOP better be the Court's offered recommendation. Anything less would be a travesty IMO.

That's probably the closest to the reality of the situation. His attorneys realize how deranged (?) he is, and know he would prove that he needs to go away forever. As of now, playing house with his captive is the 'end' of this horrible story. Best to leave it at that IMHO.

Kidnaps a young girl, kills both of her parents, and no death penalty in this state. Yeah, LWOP better be the Court's offered recommendation. Anything less would be a travesty IMO.
Yes, it better be. We will know in 37 days, 13 hours, 28 minutes and 42 seconds.
Roughly. :p MOO

IMO he is just being an *advertiser censored* and getting more press for it. A pre-sentence investigation done by the probation office can be beneficial to him. Extenuating circumstance information comes out here in this report. In the 20 yrs I worked with the jails, courts, criminals... I never heard of someone stating that their atty told them not to cooperate with this process. I have seen people refuse to comply. But, that was because they were either the same as this guy or were hopelessly going to prison for a long long time regardless. But, mostly just because causing a problem was something that they were into.

IMO he is just being an *advertiser censored* and getting more press for it. A pre-sentence investigation done by the probation office can be beneficial to him. Extenuating circumstance information comes out here in this report. In the 20 yrs I worked with the jails, courts, criminals... I never heard of someone stating that their atty told them not to cooperate with this process. I have seen people refuse to comply. But, that was because they were either the same as this guy or were hopelessly going to prison for a long long time regardless. But, mostly just because causing a problem was something that they were into.

Really, why should he bother to cooperate? It is pretty much a given that he is getting LWOP. I doubt any story he tells is going to reduce his sentence.

Yes, in light of the run-off-at-the-mouth things he said to the press, any attorney would refuse interviews. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back