CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way to know the details of their rent-to-own agreement, unless the former owner or CM wants to make the info public. It's not that different from any lease agreement for a home or apartment. I can only guess, based upon experience and property records. They were not the buyer in 2006 @$505k and they were not the seller in 2009 @$226k. Average rent for homes in that area, at that time and of similar condition, averaged $2300 - $2900 per month. Their apartment was smaller and had more amenities, but most people form an attachment to a home they own vs. an apartment, where you will only live temporarily. Living in CA is much more expensive than most of the U.S. and owning property is a better guarantee against rising inflation. It would also be unfair to assume they were paying the current market rent at their apartment. I don't know when they moved in, but they may have signed a lease for much less. jmho
Average rents were 2300 to 2900 per month in their rent to own home? And they couldn't cut it? Then they turn around and rent an apartment for almost twice that? Not that it has anything to do with the out come of this case. Just trying to understand. I listened to CJ's testimony and agree with the above poster. She sounded sad that they lost it. She thought it was there settling down point. And then all the uncertainty returned. MOO.

Their settling point.

Last edited:
Okay here is my next question...

In going through my screen shots, the attached one seems to be checks written by Joey for Chase. Am I correct with this assumption?

If so, isn’t it interesting Joey had to pay $400 for Jarvis’ car? I would have thought the prosecution would have pointed out just how bad Merritt’s finances were for him to need someone else to pay 400 for a car repair for their girlfriend. Maybe a missed opportunity for the prosecution?

ETA: I added another screenshot to help identify where the snip came from.

What a couple of leeches.

What a couple of leeches.

Absolutely.

It makes me furious how they took advantage of a good man with such a giving heart.

Joey deserved so much better than moochers who took advantage of him.

He deserved to be fully appreciated for his kindness, and gracious heart.

Joey was much more of a man than CM ever was.

Imo

My guess is they defaulted, ended up underwater, and it went into foreclosure. Wherever Chase goes, trouble will follow. . .
As I mentioned up-thread they were never owners of the property, they were tenants. They may have failed to pay their rent, but that would only result in being evicted.

As I mentioned up-thread they were never owners of the property, they were tenants. They may have failed to pay their rent, but that would only result in being evicted.
Yes, if they were only tenants renting and got too far behind in not paying the rent, the owner would of evicted them is what usually happens.

Yeah, talk about taking advantage of someone's wonderful kind & generous nature, just unconscionable, :mad:

I often think of Joey. Lord knows we need way more Joeys, and far less, CMs in this world.

When the good one is taken, and the evil one remains, we all lose as a society overall.

I think that is one of the reasons it upsets me so much when it was speculated that Joey's company was sham. Ugh.

Its obvious he poured his heart, and soul, into making his company successful in order for his family's future to be more secure. To know he had accomplished those goals, and then have it all ripped away from them is heart shattering.

Imo, one of the reasons he murdered Joey is because he had the same mindset of a domestic violence abuser. One who thinks if they cant have the victim then no one else will either.

It was the same concept, except CM felt if he was being cutout of the big money making ventures to come, then he would make sure Joey, and his family never got to receive any of the money either. CM knew by destroying Joey he had also destroyed Joey's company.

Joey was a man's man, and the perfect best guy friend to have. He was loyal, trustworthy, supportive, and honest. He was also a devoted husband, and father, who wanted everyone to know how much he loved his wife, and 3 children.

How I wish Joey could have found a trustworthy best friend who always knew how blessed they were to be known as his best friend.

Imo. Like so many good hearted people, Joey thought if he treated CM, with respect, and fairness, it would change CM, and he would finally become a productive worker who knew caring for his family must always remain his top priority over all else.

But just like many of the other kind, and caring people, who reached out to help others, it wound up they were grossly abused, and even murdered by the very one they tried to help the most.

Jmo

Yes, if they were only tenants renting and got too far behind in not paying the rent, the owner would of evicted them is what usually happens.
As I said up thread it appears the owners lost the house to a short sale. I doubt Merritt would've been able to obtain a traditional loan to buy the property so they were forced to move. The good news is the mortgage company probably paid them to move out as was common practice back then.

But in a rent to own agreement, wouldn't they have built up some equity under an owner default? Something seems fishy with it. Surely he could have afforded the house at $225. Maybe he asked Joey to buy it or cosign?

I often think of Joey. Lord knows we need way more Joeys, and far less, CMs in this world.

When the good one is taken, and the evil one remains, we all lose as a society overall.

I think that is one of the reasons it upsets me so much when it was speculated that Joey's company was sham. Ugh.

Its obvious he poured his heart, and soul, into making his company successful in order for his family's future to be more secure. To know he had accomplished those goals, and then have it all ripped away from them is heart shattering.

Imo, one of the reasons he murdered Joey is because he had the same mindset of a domestic violence abuser. One who thinks if they cant have the victim then no one else will either.

It was the same concept, except CM felt if he was being cutout of the big money making ventures to come, then he would make sure Joey, and his family never got to receive any of the money either. CM knew by destroying Joey he had also destroyed Joey's company.

Joey was a man's man, and the perfect best guy friend to have. He was loyal, trustworthy, supportive, and honest. He was also a devoted husband, and father, who wanted everyone to know how much he loved his wife, and 3 children.

How I wish Joey could have found a trustworthy best friend who always knew how blessed they were to be known as his best friend.

Imo. Like so many good hearted people, Joey thought if he treated CM, with respect, and fairness, it would change CM, and he would finally become a productive worker who knew caring for his family must always remain his top priority over all else.

But just like many of the other kind, and caring people, who reached out to help others, it wound up they were grossly abused, and even murdered by the very one they tried to help the most.

Jmo
Agree ocean. If there were only people like Joey in the world what a fantastic place it would be, and it would be filled with love.

But in a rent to own agreement, wouldn't they have built up some equity under an owner default? Something seems fishy with it. Surely he could have afforded the house at $225. Maybe he asked Joey to buy it or cosign?
It was probably an "Owner will carry". It doesn't go through the traditional down payment, title search and insurance, county recorder, and all that. If you don't make your monthly payment, you're evicted and lose anything you paid into it.
I can't see either CJ or CM having any type of credit so that's about the only way they could get into a home and eventually own it.

Strike all that. Went down a rabbithole.

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing up the "Owner will Carry". That makes a lot of sense. In many states you have to put the house up in a foreclosure sale if you are the seller / financier when you foreclose on the renter / buyer. In California you can outbid everyone and reclaim your home. That would explain the amounts in 2009.

Likewise in those "sales" the buyer has to put down 10-20% then make monthly payments based on a 30 year mortgage. Unfortunately that downpayment disappears if you fall behind on payments. Could be a huge ripoff for people with poor credit.

The $505k in 2006 was likely Chase entering into the agreement, and possibly financing furniture or improvements. So likely Chase put down $50k. In 2009 he messed up his finances with gambling (speculation), fell behind, and lost everything when JM wouldn't bail him out.

Is this just your assumption? I don't recall any of this being mentioned before... I thought Cathy said it "fell through", I don't think we got details, did we?

animated-smileys-easter-004.gif
everyone! :)

Pretty sorry *ss people. CM making $170,000yr and couldn't even afford to rent a lousy house with for a couple of thousand a month or pay $300 to get his "wife's"/girlfriend's car fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal