Found Deceased WI - Kathleen Ryan, adult, teacher, car found burned with body inside, St. Francis, 2 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reasoning why, if this was a suicide, she would have changed seats?
Ie: Would she have needed more room to light a match? Maybe she had to originally get out of the car to get the gas and perhaps splash it around and then seated herself in the passenger seat? I'm just trying to visualize the chain of events had it been a suicide and why she would have ended up in the passenger seat.

She may have changed seats to make it look like something other than suicide. If in fact she did self harm (and the evidence clearly points to this in my opinion)...she likely didn't want to disappoint her sons or students.

Brings this heartbreaking case to mind...
Found Deceased - GA - Alvin Rowson Ahmed, 25, Loganville, 16 Jul 2018

Is setting oneself on fire a common way to die by suicide? I don't know; this seems so odd to me and I can't imagine that being her choice if she was depressed/suicidal.

Although they haven't been able to find evidence (yet) of her stopping anywhere, it doesn't necessarily mean she didn't. If she was a kind-hearted individual, would she be persuaded to stop and try to assist someone purportedly needing help on the side of the road? Perhaps she stopped but not at a store or rest stop. Maybe someone was pretending to be a stranded motorist. It would have taken only a couple minutes for her to stop, talk to them, and maybe they convinced her to drive them up the road to a gas/service station, then attacked her once in the car. This is all just me speculating of a situation where she could have acquired another passenger without being seen or videoed stopping anywhere. Maybe on an isolated stretch of road?

Whatever happened, I just hope there is some sense of closure for the family soon.

She may have changed seats to make it look like something other than suicide. If in fact she did self harm (and the evidence clearly points to this in my opinion)...she likely didn't want to disappoint her sons or students.

Brings this heartbreaking case to mind...
Found Deceased - GA - Alvin Rowson Ahmed, 25, Loganville, 16 Jul 2018
Oh wow. Thanks for that. Very sad that people, although rare, will stage their suicide to look like murder. If she did commit suicide, it had to take some planning. I wonder if they'll find something on her computer where she looked up scenarios such as this.

I'm still not 100% sure either way, but I can now give more credence to the suicide scenario.

I can't imagine anybody committing suicide in such a painful way. That's crazy. She was such a wholesome person. I would think LE would follow the route from her house she always took and then turn back east to the route she took to get to that driveway. Form a circle around that whole area. I would think the only two places she would stop would be service stations and rest stops. There can't be that many. When we go to a rest stop and my husband goes to the restroom, I lock the car doors. I see lots of people leaving their cars in a hurry, to go into a gas station and it does not appear they lock their car doors. I guess they think it's broad daylight who's going to do anything!

I can't imagine anybody committing suicide in such a painful way. That's crazy. She was such a wholesome person. I would think LE would follow the route from her house she always took and then turn back east to the route she took to get to that driveway. Form a circle around that whole area. I would think the only two places she would stop would be service stations and rest stops. There can't be that many. When we go to a rest stop and my husband goes to the restroom, I lock the car doors. I see lots of people leaving their cars in a hurry, to go into a gas station and it does not appear they lock their car doors. I guess they think it's broad daylight who's going to do anything!

There's many others that have been posted previously but here's one that came reportedly out of the blue with no warning signs. Just goes to show you that you never know what someone else is thinking.

Husband commits suicide by setting himself on FIRE in front of his WIFE after getting some 'bad news' about family finances | Daily Mail Online

And below is my former co-workers' article. She was also a teacher who taught kindergarten for decades and committed suicide by pouring kerosene all over herself and setting herself on fire in her brother's basement...

Cripple Creek mourns death of longtime teacher

Granted it's not a common method but it happens.

Last edited:
There's many others that have been posted previously but here's one that came reportedly out of the blue with no warning signs. Just goes to show you that you never know what someone else is thinking.

Husband commits suicide by setting himself on FIRE in front of his WIFE after getting some 'bad news' about family finances | Daily Mail Online

And below is my former co-workers' article. She was also a teacher who taught kindergarten for decades and committed suicide by pouring kerosene all over herself and setting herself on fire in her brother's basement...

Cripple Creek mourns death of longtime teacher

Granted it's not a common method but it happens.
So sorry that this was your coworker.
Geez, you unfortunately have 1st hand knowledge of this form of suicide.

Only two possible outcomes stand out here to me:

1) - She was robbed/kidnapped and murdered and perp set car ablaze to destroy evidence (more likely)

2) - Suicide (much less likely IMO)

I am sure the fire destroyed an amount of evidence but to have zero leads is very frustrating. Feel so bad for her family.

As I mentioned in a previous KR thread, our family knows the Ryan’s and my brother played against Zack in high school when he was at Tartan in Oakdale, MN. Zack was a fierce competitor but always showed respect for everyone - teammates, opponents, coaches, etc. His parents were extremely supportive and easy to get along with so even though we were on opposing sides, it was always a fun time competing as both their teams were very good.

They are very good people who do not deserve this. Really hope a break happens soon.

While the two possibilities you listed are possible, from the beginning I've wondered about a third possibility--a "hit" or targeted murder. Though Kathleen doesn't, on the surface, seem like the usual type of victim for such a murder, it does happen.

The oddness and mystery surrounding the circumstances of her death, that many have remarked on, are what made me consider the possibility of a contract killing or planned murder. If this was the case, it's not surprising that LE cannot find evidence of where, or if, she stopped somewhere, or how she died.

Kathleen was last seen at her home around 12:30, but the game, only fifty miles away, didn't start until 4:30. If she had left St. Francis around 12:30 to head to Mundelein, it would seem logical that she planned to stop somewhere along the way, yet LE cannot find any evidence of that.

Ryan's family says she was heading to Mundelein, Illinois, on Saturday to watch her sons coach a basketball game. She was last seen at her home near the St. Francis-Milwaukee border around 12:30 p.m. She was supposed to be at the game around 4:30 p.m. but never showed up.

Kathleen's car was found at a location that was not on the route she used to travel to Mundelein.

We just believe that's not her," Sam Ryan said. "It was off the path she would have taken to get to Mundelein."

Family holds hope for missing Milwaukee teacher

I find it very suspicious that Kathleen was not seen anywhere after being spotted at her home around 12:30 and that she and her car were located off of her known route of travel. I believe that Kathleen never started driving to Mundelein that day because she was either killed or abducted before she got the chance. I think Kathleen (dead or alive, but probably dead) was driven in her car under cover of darkness on back roads to the location where she and her car were found "torched." I don't know the area, but there are usually back roads with no, or very few, surveillance cameras in most areas that can be used to get places without being recorded.

The suspicious circumstances involving her disappearance between 12:30 and 10:00 and being found burned beyond recognition in her car are what has led me to think Kathleen's death was a planned murder that involved more than one person--so, either a contract killing or a killer that knew her and had an accomplice. As strange as that sounds, I think from the little information that has been made public that the evidence for this is stronger than for an abduction, robbery and murder from a gas station, store or restaurant along her known route of travel.

I wonder who, if anyone, has benefitted from her death.
All just my opinion only.

While the two possibilities you listed are possible, from the beginning I've wondered about a third possibility--a "hit" or targeted murder. Though Kathleen doesn't, on the surface, seem like the usual type of victim for such a murder, it does happen.

The oddness and mystery surrounding the circumstances of her death, that many have remarked on, are what made me consider the possibility of a contract killing or planned murder. If this was the case, it's not surprising that LE cannot find evidence of where, or if, she stopped somewhere, or how she died.

Kathleen was last seen at her home around 12:30, but the game, only fifty miles away, didn't start until 4:30. If she had left St. Francis around 12:30 to head to Mundelein, it would seem logical that she planned to stop somewhere along the way, yet LE cannot find any evidence of that.

Ryan's family says she was heading to Mundelein, Illinois, on Saturday to watch her sons coach a basketball game. She was last seen at her home near the St. Francis-Milwaukee border around 12:30 p.m. She was supposed to be at the game around 4:30 p.m. but never showed up.

Kathleen's car was found at a location that was not on the route she used to travel to Mundelein.

We just believe that's not her," Sam Ryan said. "It was off the path she would have taken to get to Mundelein."

Family holds hope for missing Milwaukee teacher

I find it very suspicious that Kathleen was not seen anywhere after being spotted at her home around 12:30 and that she and her car were located off of her known route of travel. I believe that Kathleen never started driving to Mundelein that day because she was either killed or abducted before she got the chance. I think Kathleen (dead or alive, but probably dead) was driven in her car under cover of darkness on back roads to the location where she and her car were found "torched." I don't know the area, but there are usually back roads with no, or very few, surveillance cameras in most areas that can be used to get places without being recorded.

The suspicious circumstances involving her disappearance between 12:30 and 10:00 and being found burned beyond recognition in her car are what has led me to think Kathleen's death was a planned murder that involved more than one person--so, either a contract killing or a killer that knew her and had an accomplice. As strange as that sounds, I think from the little information that has been made public that the evidence for this is stronger than for an abduction, robbery and murder from a gas station, store or restaurant along her known route of travel.

I wonder who, if anyone, has benefitted from her death.
All just my opinion only.

Precisely. The gap in time has been nagging at me . . . If it was suicide, where was she for approx 9 hours?

Below is a link to map showing the distance between her home and where Kathleen was found. It’s 44 miles and less than an hour away. Note that HWY 41 splits off from 94. It’s quite possible that the car was driven from Milwaukee and did not stay on 94, rather took the 41 split and drove to where the vehicle was found. Google Maps

Kathleen lived on the 2300 Block of E Holt Avenue in Milwaukee. I’m wondering if she lived in the brick building with an adjacent neighbor? Didn’t a neighbor state that they saw her leaving that day?

Google Maps

According to this news report (4/26) on WTMJ-4, Milwaukee, the last time Kathleen was seen / used credit cards was in the Bay View area of Milwaukee. Her sons speak out . . . Lake County IL Sheriff’s office representative is interviewed . . . Sons ask for answers in Milwaukee mother's mysterious death
I just read the article and I can't find where it says she was last seen in the Bay area using credit cards. The article only said she was last seen in that area.
I'm wondering if there's another article
referencing her credit cards or it could be I'm missing it.

Found the article where neighbors saw Kathleen leave her around Noon that day . . .
“He said his mother talked to several family members Saturday morning, and neighbors saw her leave home around noon.”

The body found in a Milwaukee teacher's car could be identified Thursday

On street view I was able to see parking behind her building. Location of building in Bayview:
Google Maps
I wonder if the neighbors saw anyone in the car with her? I'm thinking husband.

Below is a link to map showing the distance between her home and where Kathleen was found. It’s 44 miles and less than an hour away. Note that HWY 41 splits off from 94. It’s quite possible that the car was driven from Milwaukee and did not stay on 94, rather took the 41 split and drove to where the vehicle was found. Google Maps

Kathleen lived on the 2300 Block of E Holt Avenue in Milwaukee. I’m wondering if she lived in the brick building with an adjacent neighbor? Didn’t a neighbor state that they saw her leaving that day?

Google Maps

Thanks for the map. It seems there are a number of possible routes from Kathleen's apt to the location where her car was found. Do you think it's possible for someone familiar with the area to pick out a route that avoids most surveillance cameras?

If Kathleen intended to commit suicide in a way that looked like an accidental car fire, or even a murder, would it make sense to use a different route all the way to avoid surveillance cameras? I can't think of a reason, but I've also not ever planned such a thing. To me, it would only make sense to choose the suicide location in a remote area without surveillance, not plan the entire drive to avoid surveillance.
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members