The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised there's been very little mention of the previous American Duchess ... at all
(Or I've missed it)

I found it odd the Queen chose the Sussex title. It has a history.

Duke of Sussex - Wikipedia

The title became extinct upon Prince Augustus Frederick's death in 1843. Although he was survived by a son and daughter by Lady Augusta Murray, their marriage had been annulled for lack of royal permission under the Royal Marriages Act 1772, rendering the children illegitimate under English law and unable to inherit titles from their father. Both children by the annulled marriage died childless, rendering the issue of their inheritance moot.

moo

Speaking of Eugenie, I have read several reports that she is likely expecting but is withholding announcement until Meghan has given birth. I'm sure Eugenie is eager to share her baby news but is having to keep mum for the Sussexes.

I just read that Kim Kardashian make $1 million for each of her instagram posts. :eek::eek::eek:

I saw her interviewed and I gotta say I think she is a very savvy business woman. I know, I know, how it all started, but since then? No one has harnessed SM world like she has.

She talked a lot about her interest in criminal justice reform. And again, I think she’s very mindful of her ability to bring “volume” to her voice because of her established massive following.

She talked about what an eye opener her journey and desire to educate herself has been. I was struck by her composure answering the Qs about constant criticism.

As reviled as the kardashians are, one thing I do admire is the strength of sibling love, and strong family. And she has both.

Agree.

And before that day there were some articles saying that MM wanted to wear A emerald tiara for wedding and was denied by the Queen.

Eugenie wore emerald tiara.
To be fair the emerald tiara incident wasn't really about not allowing 'Megan' to wear it, it's because the emeralds themselves came from Russia.
(guess it's due to current international issues but not sure of the specifics;))

Agree.

And before that day there were some articles saying that MM wanted to wear A emerald tiara for wedding and was denied by the Queen.

Eugenie wore emerald tiara.

The tiara looked lovely on Eugenie and she was absolutely beautiful. Very gracious, not to kick up a fuss having to reschedule.

I hope she waits to announce her pregnancy. She deserves to have her moment for well wishers.

Honestly I believe Harry & Meghan are making this much worse for themselves with the privacy thing and we will let you know after we bond. Royal babies are always a big deal, ok no she did not have to do the stairs but the norm is the big announcement that it is imminent. Reading all these post there could even be a possibility she had the baby already.
There is protocol in the BRF and has been forever and I see nothing wrong with letting the people of their country (and the world now for that matter) know because they are all so excited. Handling it like this is making the media even more crazy. That is JMO. :)
I am an American citizen and I never even knew who MM was until she came into Harry's orbit.

I was not able to make it through one episode of Suits. Did not keep my interest. MM had such a minor role.

In fact, the first time I really noticed MM was when she moved to the palace.
I thought who is Meghan??

Speaking of Eugenie, I have read several reports that she is likely expecting but is withholding announcement until Meghan has given birth. I'm sure Eugenie is eager to share her baby news but is having to keep mum for the Sussexes.

Eugenie seems to have class and polish. I'm not sure how that happened with her irresponsible mother, but Eugenie behaves very much like a royal princess.

Her wedding dress was really stunning and it suited her so well. Lacking the "star entrance" drama of Harry's wedding, it was very much a beautiful wedding in great taste.

I think we have to be really careful not to believe everything we read in the papers - especially as some of the "news" is coming from the gutter press.

First of all. Harry and Meghan got engaged before Eugenie and Jack, so it stands to reason their wedding was before. It's not like Eugenie had to rearrange her day.

Secondly, I don't think the emerald tiara with Russian stones that Meghan wanted is the same one that Eugenie wore. I doubt the words attributed to the Queen are completely true.

Thirdly, I think Meg had probably already told most of the royal family she was pregnant, before Eugenie's wedding day. I highly doubt there was some big announcement. She'd have got slated if she'd announced it publicly before the wedding, and they went to Australia the day after. So, bad timing, but not much they could do about it.

I know, I know... we're all getting a bit bored... but let's not lower ourselves to some of the vitriol H&M are getting right now. Not their fault baby is a bit late and all these apparent updates are coming from 'a friend' or 'a source', i.e made up for likes.

I'm a big fan of Harry and I like what I've seen of Meghan, too. Most Brits are just happy he's happy and would let them get on with it. However.... as a nation we do NOT take well to arrogance, smugness, superiority, or hypocrisy when it comes to privacy, and they need to realise that, sharpish!

Last edited:
I found it odd the Queen chose the Sussex title. It has a history.

Duke of Sussex - Wikipedia

The title became extinct upon Prince Augustus Frederick's death in 1843. Although he was survived by a son and daughter by Lady Augusta Murray, their marriage had been annulled for lack of royal permission under the Royal Marriages Act 1772, rendering the children illegitimate under English law and unable to inherit titles from their father. Both children by the annulled marriage died childless, rendering the issue of their inheritance moot.

moo

I was looking up vacant dukedoms and Sussex seemed the best or better than most available.
Though I doubt any royal dukedom or title is without some "history" :)

Duke of Clarence? probably not, last held by, IIRC, George Plantagenet who was convicted of treason agains this brother King Edward IV during the war of the roses
Duke of Windsor? probably not either. Though I like the sound of that title...its currently extinct and is associated with King Edward VIII abdication, Wallace Simpson.

The 1st Duke of Sussex(Prince Augustus Frederick) was also known for his liberal or progressive views, he fought to abolish the slave trade, and the removal of restrictions on Jews. I suppose he is considered a rebel or one who broke royal tradition by marrying without the Kings consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member