Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this yesterday but all I could see was groups of men in football teams and in black and white so couldn’t pin point which exact man, I’ll have to try again! Didn’t Sally say that the man in the car at McDonald’s had dark skin?

I swear no wine involved! But I’m struggling to find it again, will search again. Yes saw the football teams, this was a tall darker skinned man in the older age group.

Well I’m in Australia so probably countries have different images. Sorry not tech savvy, the best I can suggest is what I did, go to google, select images (upper left on my screen) then type Fernand Remakel, two come up in the first two lines, about right age.

There is a possibility that things were faster in those days due to increased security these days and checking out people more thoroughly.
I think it's possible that it was quicker back then.

Yes, I agree Me123, doesn't seem possible, and I wonder if everything was slower in 1997, flights and getting through customs, etc - wouldn't have been quicker, hey?

There is a possibility that things were faster in those days due to increased security these days and checking out people more thoroughly.
I think it's possible that it was quicker back then.
Yeah maybe, another poster made the good point that just because she said she was on a pay phone in a uk street doesn’t mean she was actually there, she could have been close To Australia but far enough to get a foreign dialling tone.

These Bonus Conversations are so good, very informative, tying up loose ends and answering questions we've been pondering .... so good to hear of all these people in England who are working tirelessly on the case too, isn't it great :) I'm so curious as to what the police know and what all these redactions are ... just can't think of what it could be, and what they know but are unable to reveal. Oh boy. I really hope they can get an unredacted file and find the answers to all their questions about where Marion is. Looking forward to episode 7, sounds fascinating. Before we know it they'll have half the world working on the case, hey ... and what if the answer is sitting in that little file at the police station .... ah well, there it is.

More spontaneous thoughts .... just thinking, Monsieur F. Remakel, being so near to Byron Bay, may have used the bank that Marion used. Maybe bank manager knew him well and he went in with Marion? Or perhaps he did it on behalf of Marion. More wacky thoughts that are coming to me .... could he have worked at the bank? Could he have been relieving staff and worked at a few banks, or had an associate?

Have been reading through that M. F. Remakel advertisement again, checking each word with the English translation and I have to say .... that old saying has come to mind ... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! Why this fellow needs to advertise for a date at age 47 with all this going for him, h'mm, is beyond me .... how very suspicious it all is! Multi-owner, speaks several languages, highbrow, warm, diehard, morals very important, sober, tall, brown, single, non-smoker, university, seeking permanent relationship and/or marriage etc ..... I smell a rat, something rotten here, hey .... I don't like it, don't like it at all. H'mm. End of spontaneous thoughts.

Last edited:
Have been reading through that M. F. Remakel advertisement again, checking each word with the English translation and I have to say .... that old saying has come to mind ... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! Why this fellow needs to advertise for a date at age 47 with all this going for him, h'mm, is beyond me .... how very suspicious it all is! Multi-owner, speaks several languages, highbrow, warm, diehard, morals very important, sober, tall, brown, single, non-smoker, university, seeking permanent relationship and/or marriage etc ..... I smell a rat, something rotten here, hey .... I don't like it, don't like it at all. H'mm. End of spontaneous thoughts.

Yeah I was thinking that too, but in this day and age I’d think nothing of someone with all that going for them posting that on a online dating profile. So, in conversations 3 they talk about what will Be in the next ep and I think it sounds like they were excited about it, hopeful maybe. Maybe this was a cult or sect putting out an ad (as per the teaser for next weeks ep!) casting a net out and seeing who would bite the bait and reach out! And the man in the car was the one to romantically Leech on to Marion so she would be more likely to join if the was a man who was madly in love with her telling her to join him in this sect.

Yeah I was thinking that too, but in this day and age I’d think nothing of someone with all that going for them posting that on a online dating profile. So, in conversations 3 they talk about what will Be in the next ep and I think it sounds like they were excited about it, hopeful maybe. Maybe this was a cult or sect putting out an ad (as per the teaser for next weeks ep!) casting a net out and seeing who would bite the bait and reach out! And the man in the car was the one to romantically Leech on to Marion so she would be more likely to join if the was a man who was madly in love with her telling her to join him in this sect.
Oooh, that's quite possible Me123, h'mm, could very well be. Look forward to listening on Monday :)

8. Hidden The Lady Vanishes

Interesting episode .... I wonder if anyone has ever joined a cult/sect for first time at age 51/52? Pretty rare I'd reckon, do you think? However, a cult/sect may be interested in recruiting someone older who is well established financially, and knowing a superannuation payment would be coming to them at some point not too far down the track .... m'mm, but the super in this case remains untouched, so I'm thinking a definite no for Marion to have gone the way of a group such as this. Ah well, I have no new mad theories or ideas to share at this point ... still looking for qld newspapers and the Norman Lindsay painting ... oh boy, he was a busy artist, such a vast amount of art produced - I wonder what decade the painting was done in, and what style.

8. Hidden The Lady Vanishes

Interesting episode .... I wonder if anyone has ever joined a cult/sect for first time at age 51/52? Pretty rare I'd reckon, do you think? However, a cult/sect may be interested in recruiting someone older who is well established financially, and knowing a superannuation payment would be coming to them at some point not too far down the track .... m'mm, but the super in this case remains untouched, so I'm thinking a definite no for Marion to have gone the way of a group such as this. Ah well, I have no new mad theories or ideas to share at this point ... still looking for qld newspapers and the Norman Lindsay painting ... oh boy, he was a busy artist, such a vast amount of art produced - I wonder what decade the painting was done in, and what style.

Ok so I loved episode 8, like I really found it so interesting. I could actually see anybody of any age joining a cult I think they prey on the mentality of a person rather than an age, so if a 60 year old seemed like they would be susceptible to joining a sect and had qualities like being a teacher, being traditional or old fashioned and if that fitted in with the vibe a particular group had I could just see it not being an issue what age somebody was. Especially if there is a fee to join, money isn’t money.

I thought Mo sounded genuine but I believe that it’s possible he is a master manipulator.

When asked would he say if he knew Marion joined, he said oh definitely ect but I just can’t see that being true. Definitely came across as nice but yeah..

The interview with the Irish lady Anna Fitzgerald I think her name is, I had more questions I wanted them to ask! Like did she have to pay money to them to join, did she tell her family where she was going and that she was joining a group (cult as she now calls it but at the start she didn’t). Did she sell a house to join? What happened to all her belongings from Ireland? Did she take them with her(maybe the smaller things rather than furniture as overseas)? Did she legally change her name and how far in advance if so. Did she have access to a bank account of her own when she was in the cult? Just things that Marion did that there an no answers for.

There was something new revealed by Sally on the Missing Person Marion Barter Facebook page that is run by Sally. She wrote it last night, it said roughly from memory. A woman resembling Marion stole Marion’s purse from by her house with all her ID in it about 12 months before Marion left for the Uk!

Sally said she was trying to get more info on it before she said anything but the police weren’t cooperating but Marion was shown cctv of it at the time and that is how they know that it resembled Marion. This info is on the fb page but I know some people on here said they didn’t have an account.

Ok so I loved episode 8, like I really found it so interesting. I could actually see anybody of any age joining a cult I think they prey on the mentality of a person rather than an age, so if a 60 year old seemed like they would be susceptible to joining a sect and had qualities like being a teacher, being traditional or old fashioned and if that fitted in with the vibe a particular group had I could just see it not being an issue what age somebody was. Especially if there is a fee to join, money isn’t money.

I thought Mo sounded genuine but I believe that it’s possible he is a master manipulator.

When asked would he say if he knew Marion joined, he said oh definitely ect but I just can’t see that being true. Definitely came across as nice but yeah..

The interview with the Irish lady Anna Fitzgerald I think her name is, I had more questions I wanted them to ask! Like did she have to pay money to them to join, did she tell her family where she was going and that she was joining a group (cult as she now calls it but at the start she didn’t). Did she sell a house to join? What happened to all her belongings from Ireland? Did she take them with her(maybe the smaller things rather than furniture as overseas)? Did she legally change her name and how far in advance if so. Did she have access to a bank account of her own when she was in the cult? Just things that Marion did that there an no answers for.

There was something new revealed by Sally on the Missing Person Marion Barter Facebook page that is run by Sally. She wrote it last night, it said roughly from memory. A woman resembling Marion stole Marion’s purse from by her house with all her ID in it about 12 months before Marion left for the Uk!

Sally said she was trying to get more info on it before she said anything but the police weren’t cooperating but Marion was shown cctv of it at the time and that is how they know that it resembled Marion. This info is on the fb page but I know some people on here said they didn’t have an account.
What a great post Me123. Your questions are so good, can you ask them on the Facebook page or via email and let us know? I'd love to know the answers to those questions . Completely brilliant, and you're right, Anna would have the answers for us.
Oh my, someone resembling Marion stole her purse and ID, near house, 12 months before UK trip!!! Whoa. I never knew this, oh my. Pause. Okay, new theory coming through .... this woman could be an accomplice of the Monsieur F Remakel in a carefully orchestrated scam, the two of them working in tandem!! I don't like it, but it's something that's possible.

What a great post Me123. Your questions are so good, can you ask them on the Facebook page or via email and let us know? I'd love to know the answers to those questions . Completely brilliant, and you're right, Anna would have the answers for us.
Oh my, someone resembling Marion stole her purse and ID, near house, 12 months before UK trip!!! Whoa. I never knew this, oh my. Pause. Okay, new theory coming through .... this woman could be an accomplice of the Monsieur F Remakel in a carefully orchestrated scam, the two of them working in tandem!! I don't like it, but it's something that's possible.

Thankyou so much Itsapuzzle! I was shocked they didn’t ask these questions? But maybe they did and the lady didn’t want that info shared or something? It just seems like questions that could give some answers tonwhy Marion did what she did.

I might message the page, I always feel a bit weird like I’m imposing but they seem to welcome answering questions In their conversations episodes.

The news channel aired footage today or yesterday(time difference is a funny old thing and confuses me easily haha, I always am able to listen to new pods on a Sunday night) did anyone catch it? I didn’t as I am in the Uk and haven’t seen it posted online (yet).

Yes stole from her front seat of her car outside her house and then the cctv was taken of the woman in a garage. 12 months prior to her leaving. Could definitely have lead to fraud (after Marion was missing not while she was living her regular life before) .

Another thing i wondered about was, the two psychics Sally had spoke with both mentioned Marion being under floorboards and they weren’t connected to one another so seems coincidental (if you believe these things anyway) and then detective Sheehan investigated it but nothing came up. Where were those floorboard situated that the psychics talked about. Could they be connected to any homes that belonged to the homes that belonged to the Hermes cult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa