Found Deceased CA - Jennifer Michelle Lorber, 30, (from Colorado) Malibu, 23 May 2019

2 hrs ago:

#LASD #Marina Rescue boat operators & more searching for 30 y/o Jennifer Lorber from #Colorado. Searches along #Malibu Beach & several heavy kelp beds conducted today. Search continues.
LA County Sheriff's on Twitter
correct, however please note she is from LA County, born and raised. Only been in Colorado for a little more than a year for grad school. Not from Colorado, just a recent resident of. Please help spread Missing Person - Jennifer Michelle Lorber

I noticed this case in the news the other day, and the first thing that struck me is how LE put in big, bold letters "Suffers from Depression." Like somehow that defines her. Don't bother tracing her last steps, lets just chalk it up to "suffers from depression." AND I notice LE is still classifying her as "white". @CalParker is there a better picture you can share with us?

@bykerladi many pictures available here Missing Person - Jennifer Michelle Lorber
jenniferlorber2.jpg

I noticed this case in the news the other day, and the first thing that struck me is how LE put in big, bold letters "Suffers from Depression." Like somehow that defines her. Don't bother tracing her last steps, lets just chalk it up to "suffers from depression." AND I notice LE is still classifying her as "white". @CalParker is there a better picture you can share with us?
Yes it skews the public perception toward assuming suicide and not looking for Jenny and that's without misidentifying her as "white" and "Colorado woman".

Hi,
Jenny is one of my best friends, I can provide a lot of information if anyone would be able to help? I went down to Malibu yesterday to search for anything and the police are convinced that she committed suicide and is in the ocean so they are not following up on any alternative ideas. Can anyone recommend any next move? We've contacted a private investigator but haven't gotten as far as to hire him yet.
Thank you so much
So glad Jenny has a good friend such as yourself! The best suggestion I can make now that is actionable is to set up a public missing page for your friend on Facebook and Twitter. If you can get the involvement of the family directly on the page such that it becomes the 'official' missing page then all the better for your friend. Social media can be a powerful force to gather information and is watched by local law enforcement. If you are local and can put up posters and hand out flyers to local businesses that might have CCTV footage to share that is also potentially quite valuable. There are many people on WS that have actively assisted on missing cases so I suggest contacting the owner of WS/Tricia for some referrals for assistance. There are also examples of missing posters and flyers on the main page of WS that can be used and posted on FB. The entire process of sharing on FB, particularly posters is hugely powerful and you never know exactly what might help find your friend.

There are things that I could share with back up. I could share pictures of her, is that permissable?
Have you contacted the local press or Patch to share pictures and details about your friend? Visibility of a case is super important and the early days of the missing are absolutely critical. You need to get the word out to as many local people as possible in the shortest possible amount of time. My suggestion is to create a media list for the area (including LA major media outlets) and send them your information. I don't know if you qualify to become a Verified Insider here on WS (just contact Tricia the Owner of WS) but with that status here on WS you are able to post information that otherwise cannot be posted by regular members.

Some thoughts: Unless she had a good flashlight she would not have been able to get very far on foot at that time of night. There's a light pollution ordinance that kicks in around 10 pm. Its very dark, lots of coyotes on the prowl looking for cats & dogs, and there aren't any well maintained walking paths over there (which again, is a reason to consider she may have fallen and injured herself). Can they bring in the K-9 unit? Something to keep in mind is that it is very very quiet at night and the slightest sounds bounce and carry quite a distance. Hopefully police and searchers are canvasing those residences to ask people if they *heard* anything unusual which is a lot more likely than seeing anything. Another thing to try is to go back to the Paradise Cove security gate people (perhaps without a cop there) to make sure that the police spoke to whoever was actually on duty. I think there is a "badge effect" that makes people nervous and less forthcoming than they might be when talking to a family member. These security people get the privacy theme hammered into them hard in Malibu but they know a lot about what goes on and residents habits and visitors. Also, the 911 logs for the wider Malibu area might have tidbits in them too. People call in a lot of stuff and patrol cars are not always sent out. I am glad to hear they are widening the search area. Its hard to imagine how she get as far as Westward or Pt Dume from there without a car. We are keeping Jennifer in our thoughts and not losing hope.

@hardeeboy
Police have not done much if any canvassing in the area of the neighborhood up the moutnain. K-9's were already brought. The Search being as far north as Westward beach then trail south to Paradise Cove in all likelihood was based on tides. They issued another call for public assistance early this morning https://twitter.com/LASDHQ/status/1133674188072316929 and we are currently working on organizing a volunteer ground search and canvass of the Paradise Cove area, the Cafe and the neighborhood she was last seen walking toward on Thursday night. Thanks, and will update when I have more.

Posted: May 29, 2019 09:27 AM PDT
Updated: May 29, 2019 10:09 AM PDT
“MALIBU, Calif. (FOX 11) - A $10,000 reward is in effect Wednesday for information regarding a missing Colorado woman who disappeared on a trip to Los Angeles.

The reward was approved Tuesday by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. Supervisor Sheila Kuehl recommended the reward in hopes of finding 30-year-old Jennifer Michelle Lorber.

[SBM]

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has spearheaded multiple search operations using a search-and-rescue team, dogs, an air unit, marine rescue boat operators and help from county lifeguards and fire department personnel, said Deputy Trina Schrader of the Sheriff's Information Bureau. Investigators are in touch with Lorber's family.

Kuehl said investigators believe that someone may have seen or heard something that could help, based on activity in or near Paradise Cove around the time Lorber went missing.

[SBM]” (BBM)
$10,000 reward offered after Colorado woman vanishes on trip to Los Angeles, car abandoned in Malibu - KTTV

Hi,
Jenny is one of my best friends, I can provide a lot of information if anyone would be able to help? I went down to Malibu yesterday to search for anything and the police are convinced that she committed suicide and is in the ocean so they are not following up on any alternative ideas. Can anyone recommend any next move? We've contacted a private investigator but haven't gotten as far as to hire him yet.
Thank you so much
My gut tells me that she did not purposefully go off into the Malibu surf to die. Details about her state of mind could be useful. People she knows in the immediate area. And the things she liked to do there? My immediate impression is that she is well liked and has friends in Malibu or may have talked to someone. I grew up nearby, live elsewhere, but return to that area periodically. It becomes part of you. There are various types of risky people that she may have encountered. Did Malibu beaches have any specific meaning for her? Thank you

Thank you @cpeacock1 , I and @Kkastanos appreciate everyone's help and interest here. We are actively getting media and new local reports will be coming out from the friends and family, we are side-stepping LASD at this time. We are also organizing a search party for Sunday at 10am in Paradise Cove which Malibu times will be running an article on in the morning. KTLA may be running an interview with her mother that she did for KDVR out of Denver tonight but waiting to see if they carry it as well. Thank you all again for your continued help it means the world to us.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back