NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female & 3 Children, found Nov'85 & May'00 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is currently involves multiple LE agencies and is subject to some new blackout until families can be notified and questions answered before it becomes subject to a media firestorm. But, presumably, the obvious suspect is dead and well known and there does not appear to any danger of compromising the investigation if some facts are released.

Now, from I can tell, there is a woman with two young (female) children who went missing from Orange County Calif around 1979. The woman happened to be Elizabeth which happens to be the man of the “ mystery wife” linked to Rasmussen in New Hampshire. There is no listing for it in any of the Missing Person databases. Normally you would expect a mother with two children to be a rather high profile case.

The name of this woman is provided in another website and evidently nobody else is providing that information here so I won’t. There may be some problem making a clear yes or no determination as to the genetic comparison for any number of reasons. Possibly no blood relatives are available. 1979 was a long time ago.

What has confounded me about this case is that a mother with children could go missing and no official report ever made. In this particular case, there are said to be two fathers/ ex-husbands involved who have “ made inquiries” about their daughters.

True, there is a third child who must also be identified but my guess is that if the woman and the two other children are identified, the the publicity will likely lead to more people coming forward with no information.

At this point, more publicity due to new information is exactly what this cases needs. If the missing family is not the Bear Brook family, they are still a missing family with relatives that deserve answers.

sbm
True, there is a third child who must also be identified but my guess is that if the woman and the two other children are identified, the the publicity will likely lead to more people coming forward with no information.
(I'm assuming you mean "new information")
I totally agree with this.

If mystery woman went missing in 1979 and Rasmussen was In Texas in 1978 and then in NH in 1979, is the assumption that they met in NH? Or is the theory that they met in Texas? Or that he went back to Orange County and met her there and went to NH from there?

If mystery woman went missing in 1979 and Rasmussen was In Texas in 1978 and then in NH in 1979, is the assumption that they met in NH? Or is the theory that they met in Texas? Or that he went back to Orange County and met her there and went to NH from there?
I think we're assuming he met her in NH, but it really is impossible to know for sure.

There is a claim, showing up in one or more online boards, that there is woman whose name is out there that disappeared from Orange County in about 1979 along with two daughters who would have been about the same age as the two related Bear Brook Children. For some reason she and the children are not on any database for missing people. Reports indicate that she has yet to be officially ruled in or out. There are no claims that third child has been identified. There have been no claims to her backstory except that she was married twice to the different fathers of the children. We know Rasmussen had ties to Southern California and was wearing a Disneyland t-shirt in a 1980 photo. An interesting connection but proves nothing.

If there is no DNA available for this woman, identification will be more difficult. Close relatives or the father of either child should be enough but could result in something less than absolute certainty.

All of the Bear Brook four had forensic isotope reading suggesting that they had only lived in New Hampshire about three months. The readings indicated the non-related child came from a different region than the other three. Isotopes aren’t as rock solid as DNA and Orange County relied on water from different sources including the Colorado River.

The one obvious situation that can result in a missing person not showing up in a database is when people appear to have left voluntarily. If this mystery woman told friends or family that she had met a guy from out of state and was taking the children to live with him, there is a good chance no MP report would be filed (or taken). People might be disappointed that a loved one moved out of state and did not contact them with new address and such but it happens all the time. There are thousands of “ doe’s”; many who appeared to have been housed and financially stable (nice. clothes, recent dental work, no indication or hard living) yet no MP report.

I think they met in California where she lived at the time, and that he killed/lost the mother of his child either there or in Texas. I think they went together to NH. She went to high school in Connecticut if I remember corrrectly.

sbm
If there is no DNA available for this woman, identification will be more difficult. Close relatives or the father of either child should be enough but could result in something less than absolute certainty.
Her siblings, and I believe her father, are still alive. I doubt they still have her hairbrush.
Not sure what you are saying tbh. "could result in something less than absolute certainty"?

Her family did look for her online. Different times back then, and even today most people don't know about places that can help them when the police don't. So easy to disappear before mobile phones, facebook, internet. And so many still believing you can't report an adult person even with children missing, if they left "voluntarily," even LE.

MY example, happened only a few months ago: we didn't hear from my brother who was in an Asian country on holiday, and he didn't come home when he was supposed to. I told my mum to call the police for advice and to make a MP report, and all they told her was to call his insurance company(?) They were cold and uninterested and just wanted to hang up.
After that she didn't do anything. Pretty much pretending nothing happened and just expecting him to come back any time. I don't understand that attitude "if an authority tells you it's nothing then it isn't." but I think those attitudes, both my mum's and LE's, are part of the reasons there are so many UIDs, and so many identifieds turn up never having been on any missing people sites or even been reported.
Jason Doe, Lyle Stevik, Buckskin Girl comes to mind.

"She left voluntarily, she found a new man, he'll take care of them." It's not very common the new man is a Rasmussen who "takes care of them" by murdering them and stuffing them inside barrels.

Allenstown Four: The Haunting, Decades-Long Mystery of the Bear Brook Murders
Two barrels. Four bodies. A decades-long murder mystery.

09 May 2019

"Fifteen years apart, in 1985 and 2000, four bodies were found in New Hampshire’s 10,000-acre Bear Brook State Park. The first two bodies, a woman and a young girl, were found by hunters on November 10, 1985. Both had been dismembered, wrapped in a plastic bag, and stuffed into a 55-gallon drum behind Bear Brook Gardens Mobile Home Park....

...the Bear Brook murders and the identities of the Allenstown Four remained a mystery. The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children joined the effort to identify the bodies. In 2013, the organization created new facial reconstructions of the victims. ...

In 2015, a forensic artist at NCMEC created new composite sketches of the victims as they might have looked in life; for the first time, police had real faces to put to the bodies. Senior Assistant Attorney General Ben Agati stated that all four victims had lived together in the New Hampshire area for up to several months before they were murdered. Agati also noted that all four had been killed at the same time, between 1980 and 1984. ...

In 2018, New Hampshire public radio released a multi-episode podcast investigation into the Bear Brook murders called Bear Brook. While investigators are now confident that they found the killer responsible for the slayings, much about the case remains shrouded in mystery. The identities of the four murder victims are still unknown. The New Hampshire State Police remain hopeful that someone will break their silence and finally close the case that has haunted the area since the mid-1980s. ..."

Allenstown Four: The Decades-Long Mystery of the Bear Brook Murders
---

Raw video: Police say same man killed missing woman, Allenstown victims, California woman

Jan 26, 2017

"Authorities believe the same man responsible for killing four victims found in metal drums in Allenstown also killed a missing Manchester woman and a woman decades later in California...."

md_82aa796d6e72-bear-brook-murders_featured.jpg

300px-Bearbrook_Murders_-_Allenstown_Four.jpg

29793138-408835492873328-2435964635493433344-n_3.jpg

the article doesn't mention they ID him from Denise's daughter.

Press conference on Bear Brook murders Thursday
N.H. Attorney General To Release New Info

More information is likely to be released Thursday afternoon about the Bear Brook murders -- the decades-old murder of a woman and three young girls whose identity has remained a mystery.

Authorities gave no indication of what specific information will be released at the press briefing, which is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. at the Division of Motor Vehicle auditorium in Concord.

Press conference on Bear Brook murders Thursday; identity of victims has remained a mystery

N.H. Attorney General To Release New Info On Bear Brook Murders

Update expected Thursday on Allenstown case involving victims found in barrels

CONCORD, N.H. — Authorities are holding a press briefing Thursday afternoon about a case in Allenstown involving four victims found in barrels.

According to the Attorney General’s Office, authorities will discuss efforts made to identify the unidentified homicide victims. An adult woman and three children were found in steel drums in the woods of Bear Brook State Park in 1985 and 2000.

(snipped)

The briefing will be held at 1:30 p.m. Thursday. WMUR will stream the briefing live on WMUR.com, the WMUR mobile app and on WMUR’s Facebook page.

Update expected Thursday on Allenstown case involving victims found in barrels

State Police say they will be revealing new information Thursday about a decades-old case from Allenstown known as the Bear Brook murders.

The mystery dates back to 1985 when the remains of two victims were found inside a barrel just outside Bear Brook state park. Two more bodies were found on the same site in 2000.

Editor's note: This case is the subject of the NHPR podcast Bear Brook. To listen to the podcast or to get a preview of the episode dropping after the press conference, click here.

N.H. Attorney General To Release New Info On Bear Brook Murders

I wanted to go to the next press conference, but I've got to save what little time off I have left because I used too much already this year.

It's just up the road from me, maybe an hour's drive. Any other day of the week I could have arranged something.

But that's how it goes, I guess.

It's just up the road from me, maybe an hour's drive. Any other day of the week I could have arranged something.

But that's how it goes, I guess.

Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the livestream. Wish you could, too!

How exciting! Is there anywhere to watch it online?

Very exciting! I’ve been following this case for years, but haven’t posted much. From 1976-1983 my sister lived in that part of NH and we used to hike in Bear Brook when I’d go visit. Fond memories, but creepy to think about what was hidden in those woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa