Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hitchhiked a lot all over Europe when I was younger and "comfortable" was not yet a word in my dictionary. My favourite shoes were stiletto boots so that's what I was wearing. I don't feel this couple were hitchhiking, but it can't be ruled out because of her shoes. Young people can be very irrational and weird.
I came across this old Italian ad and I immediately thought of the Sumter does. I hope some day soon we can see pictures of them alive and smiling.
Does anyone know if any of the dna genealogy people are involved in their case?
View attachment 188953
I don't believe anyone is currently working on them. They've been submitted to dna doe project but I didn't see anything saying that ddp has started this case. Based on a google search it doesn't look like anyone else is but I could be wrong.

So they knew they weren't brother and sister through DNA, correct? If so, does anyone know why they couldn't extract anymore genetic information? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable on how this all works :(

So they knew they weren't brother and sister through DNA, correct? If so, does anyone know why they couldn't extract anymore genetic information? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable on how this all works :(
They tested their dna close to the beginning of the case I believe. They were able to figure out they weren't related but didn't have the technology to do dna tests like today. I could be wrong on the times. Their original dna extraction is probably too deteriorated for them to be able to run through a dna database which is why they haven't submitted it yet.

They tested their dna close to the beginning of the case I believe. They were able to figure out they weren't related but didn't have the technology to do dna tests like today. I could be wrong on the times. Their original dna extraction is probably too deteriorated for them to be able to run through a dna database which is why they haven't submitted it yet.

From the link below:

In 2007, the bodies were exhumed by a team of our forensic investigators, then Coroner Verna Moore, agents from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and forensic pathologists from Newberry Pathology to get samples to be submitted into the state, national and international DNA databases.

Sumter County Sheriff's Office - South Carolina - Cold Case - John & Jane Doe (1976)

From the link below:

In 2007, the bodies were exhumed by a team of our forensic investigators, then Coroner Verna Moore, agents from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and forensic pathologists from Newberry Pathology to get samples to be submitted into the state, national and international DNA databases.

Sumter County Sheriff's Office - South Carolina - Cold Case - John & Jane Doe (1976)
Wow, 2007. That is a very long time ago in regards to DNA research.
Was sad to see Verna Moore is deceased.
Who else LE would have an interest in their case? So we can kindly ask them to submit to DDP or similar...

Wow, 2007. That is a very long time ago in regards to DNA research.
Was sad to see Verna Moore is deceased.
Who else LE would have an interest in their case? So we can kindly ask them to submit to DDP or similar...

Investigator Charles Bonner at the Sumter County Sheriff's Office is listed as the contact on NamUs but no email is included
BUT...
On the SCSO website, under Investigations it says:

If you have any information on past or pending cases or need information from someone in this division, please email Lieutenant Monahan, call 436-2000, or you may click one of the links in the upper right of the page to submit information confidentially.

Click on Lt Monahan's name and his email is: lmonahan@sumtercountysc.org

Sumter County Sheriff's Office - South Carolina - Investigations

I don't know much about it either but I'm thinking they don't need the actual samples but just the profiles that were obtained from them. Am I right about that?

At one time there was a number of posts concerning the possible connection between Argentina and this uid couple, although i did not follow them very closely, posting this news link because the pics reminded me somewhat of this couple. It is a happy sort of story in any case..
FWIW
June 2019 rbbm.
Disappeared activists' son found after 40 years
"The group tracks down the children of dissidents killed or forcibly disappeared during Argentina's military dictatorship, which lasted from 1976 to 1983, and introduces them to their biological families."
"He added that he would now try and find out more information about his parents, Juan Manuel Darroux and Elena Mijalchuk.
It is not known what happened to them after they were abducted"

O emocionante reencontro entre menino roubado e família após 40 anos na Argentina

At one time there was a number of posts concerning the possible connection between Argentina and this uid couple, although i did not follow them very closely, posting this news link because the pics reminded me somewhat of this couple. It is a happy sort of story in any case..
FWIW
June 2019 rbbm.
"The group tracks down the children of dissidents killed or forcibly disappeared during Argentina's military dictatorship, which lasted from 1976 to 1983, and introduces them to their biological families."
"He added that he would now try and find out more information about his parents, Juan Manuel Darroux and Elena Mijalchuk.

O emocionante reencontro entre menino roubado e família após 40 anos na Argentina
Thank you for posting, I saw the articles a few weeks ago, and was just thinking how much all of these Argentinian couples who disappeared back then looks like the Sumter Does. I do hope DDP starts working on it soon. I think we will learn a lot once we know who they were and where they came from. And I mean "learn a lot" as in... "how can we use this in other cases?"
I am HOPEFUL for these guys, this year.

FWIW
June 2019 rbbm.

Thanks for sharing this, another reminder not to give up. 40 years was worth it to the families and their descendants.
Eerily this couple does remind me of the mystery couple (their looks).

FWIW
June 2019 rbbm.

I really had to look twice! It's very good they are still searching for people from Argentina, not accounted for. I still think it's a possibility Jane and Jock Doe are from Argentina and they fled the country after Isabella Peron came into power...wanting to destroy all left wing opponents or when the coup came in 1976. Manuel and Elena went missing in 1977 according to the billboards, so they can't be this UID's. Maybe more is to come.

WOOHOO! Fingers crossed 2019 is the year our Doe couple will be identified!

I hope so as well.
I know people already thought the possibility of the Canadian association might be true, but unlikely, I still decided to send information from the Doe Network to a Canadian department (I won't name them until I hear back from them).
You never know, worth a try.

Does anybody know if there is any media coverage in Canada? I feel like its very possible that he is at least from Canada. Whether or not she's from Canada I'm not sure, but I definetly think that identifying him will help to identify her, and since his family was apparently well known with a job for his father being identified I feel like someone would be able to come forward claiming him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member