Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully their DNA samples quality is still good enough to be used

Haven't their profiles been run through Namus for awhile now and maybe some other systems such as CODIS?
I'm not understanding about the original samples still having to be good. Why can't they just use the information they already have?

Haven't their profiles been run through Namus for awhile now and maybe some other systems such as CODIS?
I'm not understanding about the original samples still having to be good. Why can't they just use the information they already have?

I know there are different types of DNA that can be tested.

CODIS samples 13 sites, familial DNA samples millions. CODIS also only compares to a small and very limited database, but GEDmatch has millions of people in it. It’s a new Ferrari vs. a 76 Yugo.

I know DNA has come along way in the past 12 years but a 76 Yugo? The samples I think were taken in 2007. That being said, I know very little about DNA but wouldn't that information be very useful?

By the way, how does the DDP work? Do they have to have the original samples or use what someone else already has or will they do either one?

CODIS samples 13 sites, familial DNA samples millions. CODIS also only compares to a small and very limited database, but GEDmatch has millions of people in it. It’s a new Ferrari vs. a 76 Yugo.

After rereading your post I think you were probably comparing CODIS and GEDmatch to a Ferrari and Yugo. If so, sorry I misunderstood but wouldn't the profiles still be fairly up to date?

After rereading your post I think you were probably comparing CODIS and GEDmatch to a Ferrari and Yugo. If so, sorry I misunderstood but wouldn't the profiles still be fairly up to date?

The question is having a tissue sample in adequate condition to produce the larger sample needed for the family-type match. The LE samples all use (AFAIK) the same 13 points, so LE result can be successfully compared to LE sample.

A different sort of profile is needed to compare to Ancestry/ 23&Me style results.

I don't have a car suggestion, sorry!

YMMV

Just saying that CODIS is very limited in performance (the Yugo) vs. using Ancestry, 23 and Me, etc....(the Ferrari). CODIS only compares to others in the database (mostly criminals, other Does, samples from crime scenes). It can only compare to close family members. Forensic genealogy is much much broader.
A new sample is needed, and there are ways to amplify what DNA they are able to get, but that costs a bit more. I am somewhat up on this because I’m currently working on another case (which shall not be named) to get this more advanced testing done on remains. I think there is a lot invested in CODIS, reputation wise, and a certain reluctance by LE to use forensic genealogy to solve cases. This seems to be changing, as more cases are solved.
DNA Doe Project will solve this. I bet it will take a year, tops, once they get a good sample. If a close family match is not found now, it’s only a matter of time until one shows up as more people are taking DNA tests every day.
The Sumter County Does bodies were found shortly after death, and I am fairly confident that good DNA could be obtained from bones or teeth.

The question is having a tissue sample in adequate condition to produce the larger sample needed for the family-type match. The LE samples all use (AFAIK) the same 13 points, so LE result can be successfully compared to LE sample.

A different sort of profile is needed to compare to Ancestry/ 23&Me style results.

I don't have a car suggestion, sorry!

YMMV

Not only have they made great advances in DNA profiling itself I think they have gotten much better at storing the samples for future use. These samples were only taken 12 years ago so hopefully everything is on the up and up. I have confidence it is and this could lead to atleast one of these victims being identified if not both.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know anything about the family type matching.

Not only have they made great advances in DNA profiling itself I think they have gotten much better at storing the samples for future use. These samples were only taken 12 years ago so hopefully everything is on the up and up. I have confidence it is and this could lead to atleast one of these victims being identified if not both.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know anything about the family type matching.
They are doing things now that were impossible even three years ago. Many old cases will be solved in the near future. The main problems are bureaucratic and financial! In the Tamam Shud case (aka Somerton Man) an exhumation will be required, which is legally difficult to do. In other cases, LE is reluctant to use new methods due to bureaucratic inertia. But as cases are solved and newer people are in charge, it will happen.

the CODIS database uses STRs ("short tandem repeats") at 13 (pre-2017) or 20 (post-2017) sites in the genome. the GEDmatch database uses an autosomal profile that consists of anything up to a million SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms). A GEDmatch autosomal profile will return matches by degree of relatedness expressed in centimorgans (centimorgans are a unit of genetic distance); there are typical ranges of shared centimorgans for genealogical relationships (parent/child share around 3400cM; first cousins share around 700-1200cM; third cousins on average share 53cM). By comparing an autosomal profile on GEDmatch (or a similar service like FTDNA which also allows autosomal uploads and use by law enforcement) you'll get a list of people who share DNA with that profile ordered by relatedness. The GEDmatch system has enough uploaded DNA profiles, at present, that it's estimated that a majority of Americans of European descent likely can be identified through the shared genetic material of relatives as distant as fifth cousins; the method involved requires finding a family tree for, ideally, multiple matching profiles and looking for common ancestry and tracing forward in time from those common ancestors to descendants who may be a potential UID or suspect (this was the method used to identify the Golden State Killer).

the CODIS database uses STRs ("short tandem repeats") at 13 (pre-2017) or 20 (post-2017) sites in the genome. the GEDmatch database uses an autosomal profile that consists of anything up to a million SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms). A GEDmatch autosomal profile will return matches by degree of relatedness expressed in centimorgans (centimorgans are a unit of genetic distance); there are typical ranges of shared centimorgans for genealogical relationships (parent/child share around 3400cM; first cousins share around 700-1200cM; third cousins on average share 53cM). By comparing an autosomal profile on GEDmatch (or a similar service like FTDNA which also allows autosomal uploads and use by law enforcement) you'll get a list of people who share DNA with that profile ordered by relatedness. The GEDmatch system has enough uploaded DNA profiles, at present, that it's estimated that a majority of Americans of European descent likely can be identified through the shared genetic material of relatives as distant as fifth cousins; the method involved requires finding a family tree for, ideally, multiple matching profiles and looking for common ancestry and tracing forward in time from those common ancestors to descendants who may be a potential UID or suspect (this was the method used to identify the Golden State Killer).

@CJH Very well explained and very informative. Thank you and welcome.

I always thought the out of state matchbook in his pocket possibly showed they were traveling...in that case, if they were staying at a motel and never returned, I would think the police would have been called with unclaimed luggage left in the room....or even at the supposed campground. They were neat and clean so obviously bathing and changing clothes. If they had their stuff in a car, what happened to that? Two killers I think. One drove them to the killing site while the other watched them . Doesn't sound random...

I always thought the out of state matchbook in his pocket possibly showed they were traveling...in that case, if they were staying at a motel and never returned, I would think the police would have been called with unclaimed luggage left in the room....or even at the supposed campground. They were neat and clean so obviously bathing and changing clothes. If they had their stuff in a car, what happened to that? Two killers I think. One drove them to the killing site while the other watched them . Doesn't sound random...

I've worked at hotels. If guests don't return to their room and collect their belongings the items are bagged and labelled. Depending on the type of hotel some will keep it for a certain amount of time before discarding or donating.
The police would not be called because no crime has occurred. If the room is unpaid for their name goes on a list (this was the 70s) and they are not allowed back at the hotel or they have to pay their arrears before being able to stay there.

There are many possibilities as to what happened to their belongings. People have made suggestions regarding the fact that they were not wearing underwear and I've always felt it could be because they were in the process of doing their laundry and with limited opportunities to do so took everything they could off and threw it in while they had the chance. This could have been at a laundromat, motel, campground or even someone's house. I guess if it was at a laundromat it would be much the same as a motel and the people there would not hold on to it for long or someone could just walk in off the street and take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa