Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops i dont know what happened to my reply. Anyway if there was traffice coming from both sides you would think someone would have stopped.

Chynna got up out of her chair and waived.

Whether I’m on my front porch or sitting on the side of the road, I only get up to waive if I wish the person to stop. For a casual waive, I stay seated. This is what I’ve observed my entire life with people.

If the woman who couldn’t stop hadn’t thought they needed help she would not have called it in.
I guess I've always wondered why the rcmp didnt respond to check on the situation when that call was received..

Interesting! I hadn't thought of body language and what that meant. I think you're right. If she stood up to wave to a woman driving by, that is different. I guess that's how the woman in the car understood it as well. She called RCMP.

When I first heard abour the 4PM call, I became really interested in knowing when police received the first call about the victims, when they responded, how long it took for them to get there.

Regarding times that RCMP were called, I see discrepancy. The first call was at 4PM on July 14. Going from memory, I thought the trucker called it in around 5AM July 15 and waited at the van until the road worker arrived. The third call was at 7:19AM. I'm guessing that was the road worker.

What time did the RCMP arrive? Did they arrive at 9AM, 4 hours after the first call, or at 1120AM, 4 hours after the road worker confirmed the trucker?

Didn't the road worker say he was there for 4 hours, or was he only there for 2 hours? If RCMP rushed to the scene at 5AM, Pierre would be at the scene for 2 hours. Does anyone remember the interview with the trucker, where he said that he made sure they had his name? What time was he at the scene?
I don’t remember the times. But I do remember initially reading the “waive” as you did and wondering why she called RCMP. So I re-read it and saw that she had stood up, which changed everything.

And that’s the article we need to find because it talks about RCMP being called. I will try a couple of searches in thread 1.

I found this information in a post today (July 30th, 2019) from a McLean's article.

"Fox Lake residents Billy and Tamara Beardy noticed the billowing black smoke while out berry picking nearby. The region is prone to forest fires, so they went to see whether they should call a conservation officer. But it was the burning vehicle, which had been pushed into the ditch. For nearly an hour, the couple sat there in their truck, doors unlocked. Billy guesses it had been burning for no more than 15 minutes. Tamara says that when they went back to the vehicle a day later, responders had flipped it over. Sardine cans, propane bottles, forks, orange peels, pork chops, money, tools and keys littered the road."

Here's the link to the article: A mysterious sighting in the Manitoba manhunt—and then the trail goes cold - Macleans.ca

I'm gobsmacked to read the list of items that the residents noted littered the roadway the next day when the vehicle had been flipped over by responders. Just wanted to share this odd bit of information.

:eek::eek::eek:

It's true -- sardines, orange peel, and pork chops!

I recall this but was sure that it was a crazy dream, and now I see it before me complete with link!!

Thank you. :)

Fugitive teens told man they were on ‘joy ride’ as he helped them out of mud
The officer who pulled over two suspected killers has broken his silence. He says Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod were “paranoid”.

Today, another local has come forward with the story about how he came across the country’s most wanted men and didn’t realise until it was too late.
Tommy Ste-Croix said not only did he talk with Schmegelsky and McLeod, but he also helped them get their bogged Rav-4 back on the road.
Mr Ste-Croix was visiting his brother in Cold Lake, Alberta, on July 21 when the family noticed a vehicle had become stuck in mud.
It was about 11am and the pair were travelling east from British Columbia where the bodies of Australian man Lucas Fowler, his American girlfriend Chynna Deese and BC sessional lecturer Leonard Dyck were found by the side of the highway. All three had been murdered.
Mr Ste-Croix wrote on Facebook about the bizarre encounter — an encounter that he said left him feeling “something wasn’t right”.
“Holy *advertiser censored**, my big heart could of (sic) got me killed,” he wrote. “One shot to the back and that would of been it.”
Teens ‘sorry, sorry’ after being stopped

Your quote;

Twenty minutes later, this same man's wife drove by and the couple were still stranded on the side of the highway. She had a car full of relatives and did not feel safe stopping on the highway because there was oncoming traffic in both directions. She contacted RCMP and notified them about the van at the side of the highway. We know that RCMP were 4 hours away, and they probably assumed that by the time they checked out the van, it would be gone.

I haven't come across anything that stated that woman contacted the RCMP to tell them about the couple with the broken down van.

I have also not come across any reason to believe the RCMP assumed the broken down van would resolve itself.

1) Proof that woman actually contacted the RCMP about "the van on the side of the highway". Even a story about it?

2) Proof the RCMP neglected this call and failed to look into the couple broken down on the side of the highway.

I will look for the article linking the woman calling RCMP. I'm not going to do it right now, but will look for it. It was linked in the early day or two of the discussion - maybe Saturday July 20.

The reason we know that police did not respond is that the van and the couple were still in the same place at 11:30. If RCMP had responded to that first call, they would have been at the van at 8PM. RCMP would have done something to ensure that they were not stranded there overnight, citing BC Highway Safety Regulation (also linked way back at the beginning) if necessary. That is how I know that RCMP did not respond to the first call.

It must have been an intense moment between the woman driver and Chynna if it resulted in a call to RCMP.

<rsbm>

Not really suspicious ... simply how the system works in determining Manner of Death (MOD). There are 5 classifications of MOD:

Natural, accident, suicide, homicide, undetermined (or pending if not immediately able to be determined for whatever reason)

Cause of Death (COD) can be a multitude of things (i.e. aneurysm, strangulation, knife wounds, gunshot wounds, poisoning, etc)

So initially "suspicious" was two deceased people lying in a ditch with visible blood. (IOW, for example, could be accidental, having died from carbon monoxide poisoning, crawled to ditch, possibly wildlife caused pre or post mortem injury resulting in blood and death). Subsequent examination by a Coroner however determines that Cause of Death was gunshot wounds and the Manner of Death is then classified as homicide.

<modsnip> Responding to earlier previous claim that all media reporting on this story across Canada not only mentioned suspicious death, but the specific unit that investigates murders. <modsnip: snark>

RCMP were 4 hours away, someone had to do it. Maybe that road worker was only 1 hour away.

I have come to understand why the hwy worker watched the scene and it is out there thinking for me but I except it as it has been said. now, why did the lady high way worker not stop when she seen the van broke down. seems high way workers fill in until LE can get there so why drive on? could LE not have had to come 4 hours to check on the van after report called in and just sent a high way worker to check? seems like high way workers are dual use/job.

I guess I've always wondered why the rcmp didnt respond to check on the situation when that call was received..
I’d guess because they are so far away. Or the report got lost in the shuffle. Here, we have state troopers all over the place checking abandoned cars and marking them so other cops don’t bother to stop. If cars aren’t removed within a certain period, they are towed. In this area of BC, of course, they don’t have the equivalent of state troopers out everywhere. The police aren’t even close to this area so it’s probably not a priority.

I have come to understand why the hwy worker watched the scene and it is out there thinking for me but I except it as it has been said. now, why did the lady high way worker not stop when she seen the van broke down. seems high way workers fill in until LE can get there so why drive on? could LE not have had to come 4 hours to check on the van after report called in and just sent a high way worker to check? seems like high way workers are dual use/job.
Lone female driving in the middle of nowhere. I wouldnt have stopped either

I will look for the article linking the woman calling RCMP. I'm not going to do it right now, but will look for it. It was linked in the early day or two of the discussion - maybe Saturday July 20.

The reason we know that police did not respond is that the van and the couple were still in the same place at 11:30. If RCMP had responded to that first call, they would have been at the van at 8PM. RCMP would have done something to ensure that they were not stranded there overnight, citing BC Highway Safety Regulation (also linked way back at the beginning) if necessary. That is how I know that RCMP did not respond to the first call.

It must have been an intense moment between the woman driver and Chynna if it resulted in a call to RCMP.
LE is 4 hours away, why didn't a high way worker go to the van.

I'm not saying it is abnormal....I know very well what is common on Vancouver Island as I live here myself :)

I meant I think the media(and other people out there who are looking for some 'likes' on twitter) latched onto it and then ran with it searching out all the worst they could find on him. That is why I think we are hearing more about him than KM.

Perhaps it is because Schmegelsky had a more 'overt' online presence? McLeod also had similar gaming habits and references to particular ideologies, but he wasn't so quick to spout off and 'looks' like he can blend in better. On another note: I also wonder about the 6'4" height, and 165 weight reference to both? Looking at pics and video, McLeod is clearly a few inches shorter than Schmegelsky, amd he is the one with sandy hair.

Whether I’m on my front porch or sitting on the side of the road, I only get up to waive if I wish the person to stop. For a casual waive, I stay seated. This is what I’ve observed my entire life with people.

If the woman who couldn’t stop hadn’t thought they needed help she would not have called it in.

I think the woman hasn’t provided enough information to the media. For example if she thought Chynna needed help, what kind of help did she think Chynna was asking for?

And what kind of help do you think Chynna was asking for?

How I see it is at this point in time we have no other information except the engine was flooded and LF was confident waiting a bit would resolve it. We don’t know whether they were forced to stay the night parked on the shoulder of the highway or if they chose to. If they chose to, Chynna must’ve just been offering the woman a friendly wave.

Last edited:
I keep hearing about a jeep, where did you hear this? Link to report? I keep coming up empty. Thanks

Good pics of Texas suspect here.
Going back to a July 23rd news article...

Texan murder suspect 'crosses the border' just weeks before Australian tourist Lucas Fowler killed | Daily Mail Online

Police on Monday released a sketch of a bearded man who was seen talking to the couple on the highway who they wanted to speak to as a witness, not a suspect.

They have not drawn any connection between Whisenand's arrival in Canada and the deaths of Mr Fowler and Ms Deese.

Police said the man in the sketch they were looking for was driving a Jeep Cherokee with a black stripe on the bonnet.

Road worker Alandra Hull told Nine News she saw Mr Fowler and Ms Deese on the highway the night before they were found dead talking to a bearded man who 'kind of looked frustrated or something'.

BBM

One female driver didn't stop after Chynna waived at her, but she went home and called RCMP.

Fort Nelson RCMP decided NOT to visit the couple that night.

How do you know those things? Link please?

A woman who told CTV News she'd seen the van said it appeared to have broken down on the side of the northbound lanes.

"The hood was up and there was a young couple sitting in lawn chairs in the ditch. The girl got up and waved at me," Carrie Haruluk said. She said she couldn't help - her vehicle was full and there were vehicles coming in both directions - so she kept driving. "The next morning, we all heard the sirens," Haruluk said.

What happened to tourist couple found dead on Alaska Highway?

not being from Canada it is hard to understand why a hwy worker is great to watch the crime scene until LE gets there, but when hwy worker sees broken down van they just drive on. didn't the lady hwy worker see the van and the man and grey jeep? I think that is where the sketch came from.
Mr. Pierre was also a medic and was "3 hours driving distance" closer to the van than RCMP. He was asked to check and secure the scene.

Alandra Hull is his boss. She explained in a TV interview that she was driving home alone and didn't feel safe enough to stop and confront the bearded man.

I'm trying to think of this as I imagine it occurred -- Chynna was reportedly seated off the road, in a garden chair, probably in the grassy area and not at level. If she saw woman approaching, and it appeared to her she was slowing to stop, I can see Chynna getting up to be both visible to wave the driver off, and perhaps to shout out "all OK here, no help needed.

I agree, I probably wouldn't get up if on my porch, but from the highway grass I probably would. MOO

MOO

I’d guess because they are so far away. Or the report got lost in the shuffle. Here, we have state troopers all over the place checking abandoned cars and marking them so other cops don’t bother to stop. If cars aren’t removed within a certain period, they are towed. In this area of BC, of course, they don’t have the equivalent of state troopers out everywhere. The police aren’t even close to this area so it’s probably not a priority.
Until this, I actually didn't know it was an option not to respond with regards to a call. I would have thought there would have been some responsibility there despite the distance. I am not sure what the caller said, but it is awful to think that CD and LF may have needed help and that that help never came. I dunno, that just also bothered me. This whole situation has had so many close calls, and it seems like so many missed opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000