Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my fear, especially dying in the woods, the remains could have been anywhere and scattered by animals! This is a lucky ending in a way.
Me too. I worried they would never be found and then people in Gillam would never truly be at ease (at least for a long time). Now people can resume their lives without fear of these two.

I'm glad this is over and no more people will be hurt.

jmo

First of all, the RCMP says that an autopsy is being performed, which is done on the order of the Chief Medical Examiner of Manitoba, and is quite distinct from any referral to the coroner.

Maybe hold your horses a bit.

Here, Medical Examiners and Coroners are often the same. So, good to know.

Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner

All I'm interested in is whether cause of death will be public (and am confident that the people who politely answered that question know what they are talking about it).

I assume the Coroner who eventually determines manner/cause of death be from the same jurisdiction.

So grateful that this has come to an end. Incredible work by authorities and all who assisted with the search through miserable terrain--it was truly a needle in a haystack scenario. I am glad there is some closure, however imperfect. I hope it is just the tiniest sliver of comfort to the families.

Interested to see the facts that come out in the coming weeks.

https://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/breaking-bodies-of-alberni-murder-suspects-found-in-manitoba/

Manitoba RCMP believe the bodies of two B.C. fugitives on the run for more than two weeks have been found on the shoreline of the Nelson River.

At a Wednesday press conference, police said they believe Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky’s bodies were found near the shoreline of the Nelson River around 10 a.m., about eight kilometres from a torched SUV that was dumped by the suspects near Gillam on July 22.

Assistant Comm. Jane MacLatchy said the items found Friday that were “directly linked” to the two fugitives helped lead police to the bodies.

“We immediately sent in specialized RCMP teams to begin searching nearby high-probability areas,” MacLatchy said.

She said Mounties found the two male bodies in “dense brush” about one kilometre away from where the items were found. An autopsy in Winnipeg is scheduled to confirm their identities.

“I’m confident it is them,” said MacLatchy.

[...]

B.C. RCMP, who remain in charge of the homicide investigations, are hosting a press conference at 3 p.m.

I mentioned a plane crash in Mayo, Yukon in yesterday's post. Alkan Air is based in Whitehorse, and used to fly to Watson Lake. One passenger died, and hopefully he had nothing to do with KM/BS in Yukon.
What? How would you make that connection? The pilot was a male from the Yukon, passenger was a female from Vancouver.

What good can come out of this? Maybe, just maybe, it will cause one parent to try to do better by his or her child. Be there for them. Take an interest in them, their hobbies, their friends. Teach them to respect and love their own life, and the lives of all other beings. No, it will not prevent all events like this from happening--but it might make the difference for one lonely teen teetering on the edge of making a very bad decision.

Thank you.

What? How would you make that connection? The pilot was a male from the Yukon, passenger was a female from Vancouver.
Thanks. I didn't check the update. Too many plane crashes in BC, NL, QC.

AUG 7, 2019

RCMP say they have found two bodies thought to be those of fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod, who are wanted in the deaths of three people in B.C. and the subjects of a massive manhunt that spanned much of Western Canada.

In a news conference Wednesday, Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy, the commanding officer for the Manitoba RCMP, said police had found the bodies eight kilometres from a burned vehicle in northern Manitoba linked to the pair.

“We are confident these are the two suspects,” Assistant Commissioner MacLatchy said in Winnipeg, referring to Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and Kam McLeod, 19, both of the Vancouver Island community of Port Alberni.

[...]

However, she added autopsies were pending and she could not comment on their cause of death.

She said the bodies were found in “dense terrain" by RCMP members doing a foot search.

“There’s a certain amount of relief we were able to locate these people,” she said, adding she hoped the development would offer “an opportunity to exhale” for residents of the region that has seen a search by police backed by military aircraft.

The assistant commissioner noted that Friday’s discovery of items linked to the suspects that RCMP have yet to describe allowed police searchers to focus in on “high-probability areas” leading to the discovery Wednesday morning of two male bodies in the dense brush, within one kilometre from where the items were found.

She said this was about eight kilometres from where their burnt vehicle was found.

Two bodies thought to be B.C. fugitives found in Northern Manitoba: RCMP

I bet police all throughout Canada are exhaling as well because they will no longer be receiving 911 calls from panicked people due to a possible sighting of this pair. Probably tall young men with a similar appearance are relieved too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rcmp-significant-announcement-1.5239053

Autopsy is scheduled in Winnipeg to confirm identities, say police

Police believe they have found the bodies of fugitives Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky in northern Manitoba, ending a cross-Canada search for the men suspected of killing three people in B.C.

RCMP officers found two male bodies Wednesday at approximately 10 a.m. local time in the area of Fox Lake Cree Nation, a community about 70 kilometres northeast of Gillam, Man.

The remains were discovered approximately a kilometre from where items linked to the fugitives were found along the Nelson River, and eight kilometres from where a torched SUV, allegedly driven by the men, was found in Fox Lake.

"At this time, we believe that these are the bodies of the two suspects wanted in connection with the homicides in British Columbia," said Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy, commanding officer of the Manitoba RCMP.

An autopsy will take place in Winnipeg to confirm the identities of the male bodies and determine their causes of death, MacLatchy said.

RCMP in British Columbia are holding a news conference at 3 p.m. PT (6 p.m. ET). CBC News will carry it live.

What good can come out of this? Maybe, just maybe, it will cause one parent to try to do better by his or her child. Be there for them. Take an interest in them, their hobbies, their friends. Teach them to respect and love their own life, and the lives of all other beings. No, it will not prevent all events like this from happening--but it might make the difference for one lonely teen teetering on the edge of making a very bad decision.

Indeed and well put. It is all so bl***y sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500