TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been following silently so far but being from DFW I'm especially interested in this case. I need to go back and watch yesterdays testimony as I missed it. Thank you to those that have summarized throughout the day. Have been watching all day today. The biggest thing that stays in my mind is the red doormat and the fact that she did not render aid. She is a trained officer and held at a higher standard. The fact that she couldn't assess the situation and realize it wasn't her apartment before she fires her weapon blows my mind and is hard to get past. Cant wait to hear how the jury sees it.

The thing is, I don't think her failure to render aid proves any element of manslaughter or murder. It shows her character though.

I agree. This crime occurred by her hands and that revelation may have rendered her stunned and unable to act responsibly. She didn't stumble upon a crime (something she's trained for), she was completely responsible for an irreparable one. Nobody's got training for that. I agree it may hurt her character with jurors.

Been following silently so far but being from DFW I'm especially interested in this case. I need to go back and watch yesterdays testimony as I missed it. Thank you to those that have summarized throughout the day. Have been watching all day today. The biggest thing that stays in my mind is the red doormat and the fact that she did not render aid. She is a trained officer and held at a higher standard. The fact that she couldn't assess the situation and realize it wasn't her apartment before she fires her weapon blows my mind and is hard to get past. Cant wait to hear how the jury sees it.
I totally agree. I thought back to when I lived in a complex where all the townhouses looked the same. I was a brand new mother. sleep deprived all the time! And I know a time or 2 I walked up the wrong walk to the wrong house and instantly knew I was at the wrong place. THAT RED DOORMAT! come on!

That red doormat being visible even with several officers standing in front of the door? That's pretty damning even before she gets in the door.

Botham being next to the couch and nowhere near her? Also very damning.

Not doing a damn thing to try and help or comfort Botham? That'd be the nail in the coffin for me if I was a juror.

Given her law enforcement job, they may go after her for failing “duty to rescue”.

Amateur speculation and opinion

I was thinking about it in terms of "mandated reporter" type of thing. If someone can be charged for failing to report abuse.... why on earth can a first responder not be charged for failing to help an innocent victim they themselves just SHOT with no justification?

I've seen on duty, clearly JUSTIFIED police shootings where the shooting officer did far more to assist the person they just shot. Where the shooting officer was obviously upset about having to shoot the person and was comforting and telling them they were okay.

Allison Harris on Twitter
Video shows an officer, said to be the Dallas Police Association president, open the car door, talk to Guyger, then the two walk away (far left). He also motions to another officer, who then reaches into the car, and, according to the state, shuts off the in-car video system.

Officers know they have a right to remain silent. There is no reason to turn off the recording system. I realize it's not illegal but it should be. I can understand how the responding officers did not realize she was off duty at the time. Just another reason the recording should always be left on.

The Judge is not going to allowed evidence or questioning of Sgt. Valentine in about the abnormality of the situation as far as the President coming to the vehicle and the recording being turned off, etc. The videos themselves have been entered into evidence.

This actually might be better. The jury may not realize that it's standard to turn off the video. They may be unimpressed by them doing so.

Given her law enforcement job, they may go after her for failing “duty to rescue”.

I believe that a police officer, fire fighter, EMT, etc’s failure to render aid can be a criminal offense.

For example, one of the police officers assigned to a school that suffered a rampage shooting is facing criminal charges for blatantly not entering the building to confront the shooter, attempting to dissuade other officers from entering the building, then failing to follow them in after they took the lead.

The above example noted, criminal charges against public servants for “failing to perform” seem to be very rare and only reserved for the most egregious examples.

Testimony? So it was her key and not his?

Yes, iirc it was a detective or supervisor who testified her keys were found in his door. They showed a video of her key being inserted into his door and how it responded (can't open door, flashes red). Also, showed his key being inserted, it unlocked the door, it makes a sound and the light flashes green.

Per the Prosecutor's opening statement he said Botham had NOT locked his door that night.

I believe that a police officer, fire fighter, EMT, etc’s failure to render aid can be a criminal offense.

For example, one of the police officers assigned to a school that suffered a rampage shooting is facing criminal charges for blatantly not entering the building to confront the shooter, attempting to dissuade other officers from entering the building, then failing to follow them in after they took the lead.

The above example noted, criminal charges against public servants for “failing to perform” seem to be very rare and only reserved for the most egregious examples.

I would also consider this one of the most egregious examples.
She shot him, then she just let him suffer.
I don't even know how Botham's family will cope if there is testimony that his life could have been saved.

I've been following along when I can and have missed some testimony but I'm really trying to be objective here until all of the evidence comes out.

But I just can't help but to imagine how different this would be if this police department made it SOP to change out of uniform before leaving the station. JMO

I'm coming in late to this trial...can you give a quick list?
I wasn't the poster that said it but again being local I know there were numerous rumors that went around....
Rumor 1- That they knew eachother leading up to this, that they had dated, that there were pics of them together. none of this is true
Rumor 2- That she had complained about noise from his apartment previously - has never been proven
Rumor 3- That she banged on the door and was heard yelling "Let me in" and that he opened the door to her- the door was actually unlocked

Following the local station WFAA on facebook these are some of the rumors people are still circulating in the comment threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedStateRenegade