My guess on who they are and why no one is looking for them

The couple looks South American, either Argentinians or Chileans. Surprised no one has come forward to claim them. Truly sad.

Are there ANY photos of Cesar Lugones without his glasses? The male victim has extremely full bushy eyebrows so that makes it hard for comparison purposes since Lugones eyebrows are always hidden behind his glasses.

History tells us the hippie lifestyle was in the 1960's, but in the 1970's there were still people "touring" the US in vans, hitch-hiking. (In the early 70's I was a van girl, and, yes, I have hitch-hiked.) My guess is this couple was from another country and were trying to see the US on their terms. It's been so long - doubt they will ever be identified, and no killer will be found. The only thing we can hope is the killer(s) has/have spent his/her life in agony over what was done.

I
Are there ANY photos of Cesar Lugones without his glasses? The male victim has extremely full bushy eyebrows so that makes it hard for comparison purposes since Lugones eyebrows are always hidden behind his glasses.
agree here. I think the females look very similar but I haven't found enough evidence of the males looking alike. He seems to always have these large glasses on and this wasn't a time where contacts were totally an "in" thing to change your appearance. Yes, I'm sure with governmental help it could be done but I just can't say with any certainty that the males look similar.

I

agree here. I think the females look very similar but I haven't found enough evidence of the males looking alike. He seems to always have these large glasses on and this wasn't a time where contacts were totally an "in" thing to change your appearance. Yes, I'm sure with governmental help it could be done but I just can't say with any certainty that the males look similar.

Your first time here. Welcome!

There are many threads here about this fascinating case, it's hard to keep track of the theories and possibilities!

Whats the status of the Argentine theory? Is there a way to verify the Cesar/Maria theory? DNA conparison? Was the contact to Cesar's relatives ever made?

There are many threads here about this fascinating case, it's hard to keep track of the theories and possibilities!

Whats the status of the Argentine theory? Is there a way to verify the Cesar/Maria theory? DNA conparison? Was the contact to Cesar's relatives ever made?

Already followed-up: Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7

Maria was one month pregnant and the autopsy doesn't report any pregnancy: 189UFSC

And from the background, they have not left Argentina.

Just an Update. Maybe you already know it but there are good news! The Sumter County Does were finally identified as James Paul Freund, thirty years old, and Pamela Mae Buckley, twenty-five. Both of them were citizens of the United States.

As for the argentinean couple, they are likely dead as they were held in an illegal center of detention in Argentina. Most people who entered there were tortured and killed, and this case was, apparently, well documented and a missing child is being looked for as the military forces kidnapped the babies and gave them in adoption (in an illegal manner). I would like to make a comment about this case. When no one knew the identities of the Does, some have mentioned that María and César could have been killed as a consequence of, what "some"(not referring to people on this forum) have called, the Dirty War. In this respect, I think it is important to clarify that what happened during the 70´s in Argentina and other countries in Latin America was not a war. It was a cruel military dictatorship that annihilated anything that was considered to "threaten" the new order that certain groups were trying to impose. I just wanted to highlight this because certain "groups" of people still try to install the idea that the dictatorship was necessary and do not recognize what happened as a dictatorhip. They don't even consider that part of Argentina's history as something bad (we are talking about the State using the resources against their own citizens) and they are pretty much similar to people who deny the Holocaust (actually these groups are ideologically related, at least, here in Argentina).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back