CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #65

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too worried about getting a guilty verdict, but I am worried about ineffective counsel.
I mentioned something about this earlier.... the prosecution obviously has spent the last year feverishly putting together their case with a ton of witness accounts & evidence.....but for the defense??? ..... it just seems like they had nothing to work with.

PF just thought that he was so smart with KB's cell phone. The truth is, that the cellphone evidence is what completely nails him. Calling and texting himself from KB's phone, with same exact cell phone tower in use for both phones. Doh!

He over played it. Should have cleaned up the mess himself, never involved Rodeo Queen. And should have left the cellphone.

Curious - is this a strategy by a defense that is overwhelmed with evidence their client is guilty? Setting up appeal (ineffective counsel?) it does seem odd they haven’t objected more but maybe they can’t because it’s futile ? Or are they saving everything for the closing argument a’la Jose Baez in the state v CA? I’m really trying to understand the defense strategy....
JMO

Defense really never sets up ineffective assistance of counsel.

They’re not overwhelmed. Defense counsel is used to losing.

I think they just don’t have much. We mostly all saw that from the beginning. They’re going to try to say the evidence isn’t there and allows for another theory. But there no evidence of that.

Yes. Encouraging people to relentlessly follow up if they suspect something is wrong was the main reason NA agreed to do media interviews. Unfortunately too often that point was edited out. I’ve said several times I’m not sure I would have been brave enough to call police so quickly. Thankfully NA is not only a great friend but one gutsy lady!

Hopefully none us will have to report a friend or loved one missing, but if we do the words used can matter. LE may balk when an adult is reported “missing“ but usually respond quickly to “welfare check” requests. In KBs case that didn’t amount to much—yes LE rolled out to “investigate” but left when she didn’t answer the door. Fortunately, as Frederick police demonstrated that’s not the norm.

I really want KB’s local LE to be forced to explain their understanding of a welfare check’s purpose. And why they even bother. Because driving to KB’s home only to report “yep, we couldn’t get her to answer either so we left” seems a puzzling waste of time. Not one bit helpful IMO.

BBM:

I completely agree.

Especially given the fact that KB's vehicles were parked in the driveway, she did not have her infant daughter with her, she did not have a history of leaving her job without proper notice, and the only way "she" supposedly communicated after her disappearance was via text.

There were red flags all over.

The initial response by LE was not acceptable here.

Fortunately, it wouldn't have made a life or death difference in this case, as KB was already dead by the time she was reported missing.

That's not to say that it might not make the difference in future cases, though.

Hopefully, this case was a wake-up call to WPPD.
They definitely need to be more through and diligent in their initial follow-up on MP reports on a moving forward basis.

"When in doubt, assume the worst."

JMO.

Last edited:
It is really hard to object when the testimony is quick and fact based. Hard to get a hold of anything that can be twisted with those kinds of witnesses.

I noticed they did cross for over an hour with KK, because they had more wiggle room to question her statements, as some did not have solid corroboration.

But I do have to say, some of the jurors questions do make me nervous. There does seem to be some possible uncertainty there. o_O

Which ones?

Also, if nothing else, we need to hear Ma Frazee so we can add to “The List.” The List being PF’s profound quotes. She would have many.

Ma Frazee's quotes are probably the same as PF's, as he couldn't possibly think for himself.
He has just been repeating, what he has heard from her over the years.
MOO.

Which ones?
I should go through the media thread and try to compile the complete list of questions. There have been 40 or more questions now I believe.

I do see that they are paying attention because they are intelligent questions. The ones that sprang to mind were:

---why didn't the cadaver dogs hit inside the condo?

---Is there a test that can differentiate human oils from other types in the ashes?

---[to the Doss Employees] Was Kelsey ever drug tested at work? The answer was NO.

It feels like they are searching for some definite answers and I hope they feel they are getting them

I should go through the media thread and try to compile the complete list of questions. There have been 40 or more questions now I believe.

I do see that they are paying attention because they are intelligent questions. The ones that sprang to mind were:

---Is there a test that can differentiate human oils from other types in the ashes?

---[to the Doss Employees] Was Kelsey ever drug tested at work? The answer was NO.

It feels like they are searching for some definite answers and I hope they feel they are getting them

Scary. I hope it’s just curiosity.

BBM
Do you recall the answer to testing the oil?

I never for a second believed Kelsey would have been on drugs from what I have learned about her, but why does it even matter if she was to a jury-does that give someone the right to bash their head in with a baseball bat?
Also, I’m highly surprised an aviation company wouldn’t do routine drug testing, just as an observation.

Just feel jury could be asking better questions.

Sam said something about the state had a subpoena or extended a subpoena for a guy named Bentley?? Not sure if that is first or last name. Sam said he kind of forgot about that and he has no idea who the guy is but there is chance we could be hearing from him tomorrow. Anyone have any idea?

I'm behind people...I'm sorry, I had a busy day today!

But something keeps coming to my mind... Wondering... were there no neighbors, or anyone at all, in Kelsey's life in CO. to check in from time to time?

Once, as a 20 something year old, I had a odd encounter with a new neighbor, a week after she moved in to our apartment building, she knocked on my door one afternoon, and stood there, on my doorstep, with garish make-up on, ( think Mimi from "The Drew Carry Show"), and she said she had a job interview to go to, and asked me if I would watch her seven month old son.

She was right next door, so I followed her over and the child was asleep in his crib. I agreed, even through I would never have dreamed of placing my own child in the care of a stranger. But I thought, here's struggling young mom, who is asking for help. I'll help right now.

I mean...Sometimes we can't be everything someone needs, we can't shoulder peoples burdens for the Long Haul. But I believe we should do what we feel capable of if asked...

When he woke up, I noticed he hadn't been changed in a while, his skin was very pale and dry, flaky. He was so light for his age! And there wasn't all the necessary items needed to care for him in the apartment.

But I mostly recall, his trembling little smile, when I picked him up and held him.

All he really wanted was someone to care for him a little bit. Even just a smidge, for a short while. There was such hope in that little smile!

She lost her son to Cps. a few weeks later. (I had hoped to get to know her, and him a little better, but their problems were more advanced than I'd realized I guess).

Where were the caring people in Kelsey's life in CO? Were there really none?
Did she have no one, even a relatively "new" person, to whom to turn? Only Pf?

If there is any "Take Away" from this case... I would think it would be to please, look out for others in your immediate sphere of influence! If you feel like something's "off", if you hear, see or sense something, then DO something!

Don't give the "Benefit of the doubt", or wait and see what happens! The worst that can happen if your wrong, is that you were wrong! The worst that can happen if we do NOTHING is...This Case.

ooh @riolove77 - great to see you here ! Forgot you were a DA. So I guess he can do this and not end up calling her at all? Sam Kraemer said she is hard of hearing and couldn't really hear while she sat outside (responding to a tweet last week) - I'm not sure I believe she is hard of hearing.
JMO

Yeah you can submit your witness list with 20 people on it and end up calling half. It just depends on how your case goes and whether or not you ultimately decide you need each person. When the trial starts, the parties stipulate usually to excluding from the courtroom all potential testifying witnesses. So I bet dan put her on the list, then excluded her, and he decided IF he calls her, it’ll be last so that she has to miss everything.

Sam said something about the state had a subpoena or extended a subpoena for a guy named Bentley?? Not sure if that is first or last name. Sam said he kind of forgot about that and he has no idea who the guy is but there is chance we could be hearing from him tomorrow. Anyone have any idea?
Is that Kelsey's ex?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Sorry, can’t help myself it just really ticks me off that his mom will defend him to the end & also that she called Kelsey a hooker. I feel she needs to step up & tell what she knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member