OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angenette Levy on Twitter

We're on the record for Rita Newcomb. Special Prosecutor Angie Canepa says the parties have agreed to reschedule this for a hearing at a later date "in the interest of justice." @local12

Angenette Levy on Twitter

The jurors who were summoned today are being excused @Local12

Wow just wow. Those jurors can't be recalled for service for a year; can they?

Wow just wow. Those jurors can't be recalled for service for a year; can they?

That's interesting. If so, it increases the likelihood of change of venue for some of the W4 murder trials. That's been a concern from the start - that it will be difficult to find enough qualified jurors in Pike County to serve in 5 separate trials. Pike isn't a high population county, they need to find enough jurors and alternates who aren't related to the case in any way, willing to vote on DP, etc.

MOO, this is Gerlach's fault. He waited 5 months to produce testimony from atty Bruce Dailey, then raised a bunch of objections about the tote bin documents after sitting on the information for nearly a year. The state's revelation of the recorded, forbidden phone calls between AW and RN really threw them for a loop. There's probably a lot of incriminating information in those tapes, so the only way the defense can respond is through delay and obfuscation with "alternate facts".

I suspect we might see more of this with the other cases.

• Trying to reveal evidence in the pre-trial phase
  • Alternative Pleading
  • Ofuscation and red herrings
  • Obstruct and delay
  • Last minute document/evidence dumps on the state

That's interesting. If so, it increases the likelihood of change of venue for some of the W4 murder trials. That's been a concern from the start - that it will be difficult to find enough qualified jurors in Pike County to serve in 5 separate trials. Pike isn't a high population county, they need to find enough jurors and alternates who aren't related to the case in any way, willing to vote on DP, etc.

MOO, this is Gerlach's fault. He waited 5 months to produce testimony from atty Bruce Dailey, then raised a bunch of objections about the tote bin documents after sitting on the information for nearly a year. The state's revelation of the recorded, forbidden phone calls between AW and RN really threw them for a loop. There's probably a lot of incriminating information in those tapes, so the only way the defense can respond is through delay and obfuscation with "alternate facts".

I suspect we might see more of this with the other cases.

• Trying to reveal evidence in the pre-trial phase
  • Alternative Pleading
  • Ofuscation and red herrings
  • Obstruct and delay
  • Last minute document/evidence dumps on the state

This is so frustrating. Bless the Rhoden Family.

I think. Emphasize think. You by law can only be called to serve on jury duty once a year.
So what you’re saying is Pike County has to call a new jury in and go thru the selection process again even though the jury that was there today was sent home before it started?
How long will getting another jury take?

disappointed but not surprised - who thinks the state got their way here for some reason?? I can see that they want to review the document dump from last week but I'm doubtful there is anything in the documents that will help state or warranted a delay -- just more busy work

So what you’re saying is Pike County has to call a new jury in and go thru the selection process again even though the jury that was there today was sent home before it started?
How long will getting another jury take?

I think the other question is why call in perspective jurors if no trial is going to take place unless there is a plea deal. What a waste. And an embarrassment in any other case IMO. Ugh.

disappointed but not surprised - who thinks the state got their way here for some reason?? I can see that they want to review the document dump from last week but I'm doubtful there is anything in the documents that will help state or warranted a delay -- just more busy work

I'd be very surprised if this was due to a prosecution perspective today. They had a jury pool. I'm sure they worked over the weekend. Ready to go. And ..... judge would be ridiculous to deny continuance on Thursday and have jury pool ready and change his mind. I don't see it. But of course we don't know. No video.

What is an embarrassment about this happening?

If there's no good reason to dismiss a jury pool for nothing. That's my opinion.

Edited due to bad grammar.
In my opinion. A jury pool in attendance, dismissed is a waste. The jurors had to call in to know if they were still needed (probably Friday) .
That's been my experience. They give a yes or no.
But once you are called in to be in the pool without any knowledge of what trial or anything other than show up to serve you have done your civil duty for a year at the state level in this case.

If judge Deering truly expected this delay I don't think the jurors would have been in the courthouse this morning.
Now another hearing.

Did Rita get scared? Does she want to try to get a plea deal? Did Something else happen? I don't know.

In all honesty I'm frustrated personally as much as I am trying to be objective.

Last edited:
is this group - attys, judges, etc - representing the state up for something this BIG - are the constant delays a relief in some respects? are they hesitant, afraid or inexperienced to even present a case or just going through the motions (no pun)? RN's case can't be that difficult - what's going to happen when the W4 come up for trial?? Is this going to be over in our lifetime?? I was hoping for a junk yard dog to get this rolling.....JMO

is this group - attys, judges, etc - representing the state up for something this BIG - are the constant delays a relief in some respects? are they hesitant, afraid or inexperienced to even present a case or just going through the motions (no pun)? RN's case can't be that difficult - what's going to happen when the W4 come up for trial?? Is this going to be over in our lifetime?? I was hoping for a junk yard dog to get this rolling.....JMO

The Prosecution asked for the Continuance and the judge agreed after hearing why. That does not mean anyone is afraid or inexperienced. I am sure you will see that junk yard dog when the time comes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member