DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article that broke the news now starts with

Her name is indeed Marcia Kaylynn Bateman.

Phew! Thank you :) I thought I had messed up big time!

@imstilla.grandma , we didn't mean to gang up on you like that, and for that I apologise, but we are also very protective of this thread, simply because it's such a positive and informative thread (made real by some of the most loveliest people on WS!) and we don't want the same kind of dumpster fire the Parabon/DNA/GEDmatch thread was for a while.
It’s okay. Really, it is. I totally get it now and understand why you would protect this thread. I did shed a couple of tears when I first read the post, but that was silly of me. I think I’ve pushed my recovery too quickly. When I saw someone mention a previous post, I went back to it to re-read. I remember it now. In the back of my mind, I was thinking - the post was trying to tell me something but my brain didn’t register it correctly the first time I read it. It was too soon after my stroke. It really still is. I’ve been making too many mistakes the last week or so and I don’t like it. At all. My brain is still trying to recover from the brain damage. I should take a break. This will turn out to be a good thing. It’s been a lot lately. My daddy died a couple of months ago and then the stroke and then the respiratory failure coma. Like I said, it’s been a lot. Thanks y’all. I’ll see ya back in a few weeks when I’m emotionally and mentally thinking clearer.

It’s okay. Really, it is. I totally get it now and understand why you would protect this thread. I did shed a couple of tears when I first read the post, but that was silly of me. I think I’ve pushed my recovery too quickly. When I saw someone mention a previous post, I went back to it to re-read. I remember it now. In the back of my mind, I was thinking - the post was trying to tell me something but my brain didn’t register it correctly the first time I read it. It was too soon after my stroke. It really still is. I’ve been making too many mistakes the last week or so and I don’t like it. At all. My brain is still trying to recover from the brain damage. I should take a break. This will turn out to be a good thing. It’s been a lot lately. My daddy died a couple of months ago and then the stroke and then the respiratory failure coma. Like I said, it’s been a lot. Thanks y’all. I’ll see ya back in a few weeks when I’m emotionally and mentally thinking clearer.

I'm so sorry grandma. I didn't think about how your stroke might be affecting your understanding. I cried too. Please forgive me. Please take good care of yourself. I think I might need a WS break soon too. :(

Last edited:
Awe. (((Hugs))) Always put the oxygen mask on yourself first. I tell myself this when I get frustrated that I can’t do what I want like I did before I got sick. We are all rooting for you.

Apparently someone made a mistake when updating the pinned Facebook post.
The 1982! John Doe from Barron County Wisconsin is in bioinformatics phase!
This case is highly interesting to me personally.
He was young and stabbed to death in a particularly brutal manner. There were cut marks on his spine.
The surgical repairs on his left knee are very interesting as well, supposedly something only an avant garde hospital would offer.
Something like that would have required extensive recuperation.

These are the Counties covered by the MSP 5th District: MSP - District 5 - Southwest

Van Buren | Kalamazoo | Allegan | Barry | Berrien | Cass | Calhoun | Branch | St. Joseph

I found 12 cases in those 9 counties on NAMUS:

1979 Covert Twp John Doe:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
MI - MI - Van Buren Co, Wht/HispMale, 33-69, Broken Nose, Spanish Medallion, Timex, Covert Twp, July 1979

1987 Keeler Twp. John Doe (Age 15-22)*
MI - MI - Van Buren Co, HispMale, 15-22, Busch Gardens Tee, Keeler Twp, Dec 1987

1988 New Buffalo Jane Doe:
MI - MI - New Buffalo, Wht Fem 43-53 UP8228 foud in lake Michigan April 1988

1992 Berrien County Torso Jane Doe:
MI - MI - Berrien Co, Female Torso, 30-42, Brown Pants & Pantyhose, 11 Aug 1992

1992 New Buffalo Jane Doe:
MI - MI - New Buffalo Twp, WhtFem 129UFMI, 65-75, wrapped in sheet, Aug'92

1993 St. Joseph County Child John Doe (Age 7-12)*
MI - MI - St. Joseph Co., WhtMale UP9894, 7-12, partial skull buried, Nov'93

2000 Benton Township John Doe
MI - MI - Benton Twp, Wht/HispMale 586UMMI, 35-50, in shallow grave, Dec'00

2002 Berrien County John Doe
MI - MI - Berrien Co, Wht/HispMale, 20-40, Car Accident Victim, *GRAPHIC PIC* June 2002

2010 Covert Township John Doe
MI - MI- Van Buren Co, Asian Male, 25-40, Beach of Lake Michigan, Covert Twp, Oct 2010

2011 Comstock Jane Doe
MI - MI - Comstock, WhtFem Skeletal UP8820, 35-55, in woods near I-94, Apr'11

2014 Saugatuck John Doe (Maxilla w/teeth)**
MI - MI - Allegan Co, Male, 18-99, Maxilla w/teeth, Shore of Lake Michigan, Saugatuck, July 2014

2014 South Haven John Doe
MI - MI - Allegan, WhtMale, 35-60, Lake Michigan Beach, South Haven, Nov 2014

*These cases that are children and possibly teens DNA Doe Project is unlikely to take on as they have said in the past they will not work child cases.

**Saugatuck Doe is only partial Maxilla with teeth, may be difficult to get DNA

Here is another report about the identification in the above case:

‘I-196 Jane’ ID’d after 30-year investigation

The press release regarding Marcia Bateman included confirmation that six cases from Michigan will be forwarded to the DDP.
I hope they are featured on their website soon.
The Google Drive spreadsheet of cases is a bit convoluted now and not much has happened but I hope that Harper Jane Doe is close to resolution as her top match and number of top matches (as in 40 cM or higher) have both declined!

Retired chief hopes new DNA test solves 40-year mystery
So, apparently these are the prospective six cases from Michigan.

'' Along Interstate 196 south of South Haven, Covert Township Police were stymied by a pair of decades-long mysteries:
The man’s body, discovered in 1979, never got a nickname and remains nameless.''

''Three of the unnamed remains were given up by Lake Michigan — a woman’s body that washed up in 1988 near New Buffalo, a man’s body found on the beach in Covert Township in 2010, a jawbone with teeth discovered near Saugatuck in 2014.''

''The partial skull of a boy, possibly 7 to 12 years old, was found buried in St. Joseph County in 1993.''

''Back on Christmas Eve 1987, a skeleton was discovered in woods in Van Buren County’s Keeler Township.''

These are the Counties covered by the MSP 5th District: MSP - District 5 - Southwest

Van Buren | Kalamazoo | Allegan | Barry | Berrien | Cass | Calhoun | Branch | St. Joseph

I found 12 cases in those 9 counties on NAMUS:

MI - MI - Van Buren Co, Wht/HispMale, 33-69, Broken Nose, Spanish Medallion, Timex, Covert Twp, July 1979

MI - MI - Van Buren Co, HispMale, 15-22, Busch Gardens Tee, Keeler Twp, Dec 1987

1992 Berrien County Torso Jane Doe:
MI - MI - Berrien Co, Female Torso, 30-42, Brown Pants & Pantyhose, 11 Aug 1992

1992 New Buffalo Jane Doe:
MI - MI - New Buffalo Twp, WhtFem 129UFMI, 65-75, wrapped in sheet, Aug'92

2000 Benton Township John Doe
MI - MI - Benton Twp, Wht/HispMale 586UMMI, 35-50, in shallow grave, Dec'00

2002 Berrien County John Doe
MI - MI - Berrien Co, Wht/HispMale, 20-40, Car Accident Victim, *GRAPHIC PIC* June 2002

MI - MI- Van Buren Co, Asian Male, 25-40, Beach of Lake Michigan, Covert Twp, Oct 2010

2011 Comstock Jane Doe
MI - MI - Comstock, WhtFem Skeletal UP8820, 35-55, in woods near I-94, Apr'11

MI - MI - Allegan Co, Male, 18-99, Maxilla w/teeth, Shore of Lake Michigan, Saugatuck, July 2014

2014 South Haven John Doe
MI - MI - Allegan, WhtMale, 35-60, Lake Michigan Beach, South Haven, Nov 2014

*These cases that are children and possibly teens DNA Doe Project is unlikely to take on as they have said in the past they will not work child cases.

**Saugatuck Doe is only partial Maxilla with teeth, may be difficult to get DNA

Retired chief hopes new DNA test solves 40-year mystery
So, apparently these are the prospective six cases from Michigan.

'' Along Interstate 196 south of South Haven, Covert Township Police were stymied by a pair of decades-long mysteries:
The man’s body, discovered in 1979, never got a nickname and remains nameless.''

''Three of the unnamed remains were given up by Lake Michigan — a woman’s body that washed up in 1988 near New Buffalo, a man’s body found on the beach in Covert Township in 2010, a jawbone with teeth discovered near Saugatuck in 2014.''

''The partial skull of a boy, possibly 7 to 12 years old, was found buried in St. Joseph County in 1993.''

''Back on Christmas Eve 1987, a skeleton was discovered in woods in Van Buren County’s Keeler Township.''

Thanks @JovanSrna

Based on the list I made earlier, here are those 6 case threads and NAMUS links (in the order mentioned):

Small update from the Google Drive yesterday:

Harper Jane Doe gained one more match over 40 cm, bringing her total of high matches to 11. I did see where her highest match declined. That could be from someone opting back out or she's really close to being identified. We won't know until they say anything.

I'm feeling very optimistic about Harper Jane Doe and I feel that she will be identified early next year. I wonder what became of her child, since she was lactating when she was discovered. It's a mystery and we'll have to wait for the results.

I wonder what became of her child, since she was lactating when she was discovered.
<snipped for focus>
I wrote something about that in Harper Doe's thread a while back, actually, so I'll repost it here:

"I often think in cases where children seem to be involved in a UID's life (like Sheep Flats Jane Doe or Yonkers Jane Doe), that there are several scenarios where mother and child are separated or estranged. A child can be adopted away, in foster care, or raised by others (like other family members or taken care of by friends), just to mention a few. Especially where a high-risk lifestyle like drug use/addiction and prostitution is involved. Not saying that DJD was involved in a similar lifestyle, but just in general."

Strange I should mention Sheep Flats Jane Doe AKA Mary Silvani here, since it turned out that she did in fact give birth to a child, but had it adopted away.
As you said, we might have answers once Harper Doe is identified, but I still have in mind that just because a Doe seemingly has given birth doesn't mean there is child waiting for the Doe to come home.

Small update from the Google Drive yesterday:

Harper Jane Doe gained one more match over 40 cm, bringing her total of high matches to 11. I did see where her highest match declined. That could be from someone opting back out or she's really close to being identified. We won't know until they say anything.

I'm feeling very optimistic about Harper Jane Doe and I feel that she will be identified early next year. I wonder what became of her child, since she was lactating when she was discovered. It's a mystery and we'll have to wait for the results.
What does that mean “her highest match declined?” Someone refused to do a DNA test?

I'm really eager to see if they'll take on St. Joseph County John Doe from 1993.
This is the only case from that list of six Michigan cases that is a child!
I wonder if they feel confident enough to take on child cases.

I'm really eager to see if they'll take on St. Joseph County John Doe from 1993.
This is the only case from that list of six Michigan cases that is a child!
I wonder if they feel confident enough to take on child cases.
Maybe one day but I think they pass those on to other groups.

Some new cases on the Facebook pinned post!
There is a John Doe from Lenawee County, Michigan. A white and/or Hispanic man whose remains were discovered in 1997.
Here is his NamUs profile: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
He is undergoing sequencing. The Van Buren County John Doe from 2010 is also in sequencing.
They have an active case as well! Jonesport John Doe of Maine. A case from the year 2000. Parabon NanoLabs has a reconstruction of him.
NamUs link here: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Some new cases on the Facebook pinned post!
There is a John Doe from Lenawee County, Michigan. A white and/or Hispanic man whose remains were discovered in 1997.
Here is his NamUs profile: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
He is undergoing sequencing. The Van Buren County John Doe from 2010 is also in sequencing.
They have an active case as well! Jonesport John Doe of Maine. A case from the year 2000. Parabon NanoLabs has a reconstruction of him.
NamUs link here: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Do any of those (besides Van Buren since he is listed above) have a WS thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member