Found Deceased UK - Anthony Knott, 33, last seen at a pub in Lewes, Sussex, 20 Dec 2019 #2

OMG....I'm not having a go at you, please....sky news....please put a link...respect the family then, it's non of our business....do not speculate...because this was discussed since this thread started and over and over it was stated that nobody could trace if the phone went dead of was switched off...Can we at least have some respect for a person who died.
Actually there is technology that can differentiate between the two I am told from a tech friend but I don’t know if the UK LE are using it
Suffice to say, he’s gone and it’s none of our business as to any intent or otherwise and I am just glad that the water has given him back to his family to take home. RIP AK you have touched our hearts and we are saddened for you and your family and colleagues
RIP

Virginia Woolf was missing for 3 weeks and found carried downstream at Southease. Her death is said to be a suicide but I do not think AK intended to do himself harm. There are many places where one can get too close to the river. When I saw the earlier posting about men going missing during nights out I stopped thinking there could be any other answer. It was Christmas; he was out with mates and seemed sure he would get back home that night to be with his family.
I live near Lewes and have been out drinking there. If they were on a pub crawl and he was trying to catch up it is very easy to get lost. "Follow the river" could be a direction given to get him to Tesco (for cigs) or to the Snowdrop Inn or to the John Harvey Tavern. It would be odd not to include the Harvey's Brewery Pub in the list. Someone else mentioned the smoking area at the John Harvey. A low wall many perch on right overlooking the river.

As it happens I was watching the weather and the trains that night as my daughter had to get to me from London. The trains to Brighton/Lewes were all cancelled owing to flooding but resumed later in the evening. There were other landslips that caused Southeastern to cancel too so travel was a real problem.
The River Uck burst its banks and the Ouse was flowing fast and treacherous.

Sadly, I believe this to be a tragic accident and am so sorry for his family and friends. As for fencing the river off.... it is about as likely as erecting a barrier up at Beachy Head.

There was more than one person -

Arrann Diamond·1 day ago
My brother drowned in this river. It absolutely needs making safe. Something so simple could save a life.

‘My friends lost her partner in this river. He wasn't the first & more have followed him since. This in itself is proof that some form of structure is needed to keep people safe from falling or wandering in & getting into trouble, particularly in winter when the waters are cold.
It's a simple thing to ask & will save lives’

Sheena Jackson
24 hours ago
My goddaughter has lost her partner through there being no fence around this river and I don't want another family to go through what she, her children and his family have gone through’

Regardless - it’s unsafe and healthy young men have died in the past.

Mods removed a post which explained that the people quoted here were all referring to Anthony Knott.
I understand that perhaps the poster was being too specific in her identification of these people, but it's important for this forum that we know that these posts do not refer to additional fatal accidents.

Mods removed a post which explained that the people quoted here were all referring to Anthony Knott.
I understand that perhaps the poster was being too specific in her identification of these people, but it's important for this forum that we know that these posts do not refer to additional fatal accidents.

Apologies , yes , that was me . It was exactly as you say - to outline that petition comments were not related to other incidents .
Ty @guiser

Apologies , yes , that was me . It was exactly as you say - to outline that petition comments were not related to other incidents .
Ty @guiser

We can't bring comments and names from other sites over here. It's all considered rumor.

I don’t think he looked drunk at all

In the first video when he left the Lamb he did a momentarily slight stagger as he stepped up onto the pavement, but for the most part he was walking like someone who was fairly sober r very slightly tipsy

in the second video when he walked back up 20 minutes later he didn’t look at ALL tipsy. He was walking purposely and steady.

The two later videos at 8:45pm (although they’ve not been confirmed as him, that man looks identical in every single way to the first videos - so to clear that one up, maybe the police could appeal for that man to come forward...)...but back to my point: I don’t think he looks particularly drunk even in the first videos

Remember, although he’d been drinking since lunchtime, he took a 2.5 hour journey between pubs, and he appeared to be drinking beer. They’d visited in total just three pubs in Lewes, and in the third one - the Lamb - he didn’t even have a drink.

So although they were on a pub crawl it doesn’t seem as though AK were anywhere near paralytic drunk. They couldn’t have been: his friends managed to get the train back to Croydon or Bromley at around 10:30pm?
I think they were all just merry and nothing more

On page 11 of thread 1, there is a link to the barber shop CCTV footage, the last known siting of him at 19.41 where I think he looks drunk, many people on that thread also appeared to think so. There is a lighter version of that very same video where it looks much clearer and people were speculating that it looked like he had stepped out of a doorway further back. You can also see him holding his phone in his hand. I'm sure that lighter version of the video is about somewhere, I haven't had the chance to hunt for it properly yet.

We don't know he actually turned his phone off - he could of dropped it in a puddle and it broke, hence why he's holding it in that video. We don't know that he didn't tell anyone he was leaving - I haven't seen any exact details given from statements of the group to say what the circumstances of him leaving actually we're. Hence the speculation back along.

He was not 'nowhere near' the river, as I said before, from his last confirmed siting on the CCTV referred to above, he was just a five minute walk or so away. All he'd need to do was turn left and keep going.

People keep referring to this later footage at 20.45 which I believe has been ruled out by family and police as being him. No offence at all but Anthony was not a particularly distinctive looking person, there were probably lots of guys out similarly dressed with similar haircuts that night. We only know Anthony from photos and videos. His loved ones saw and spoke to him everyday, if they have looked at that footage and said it's not him I'd believe them. They, of all people, would be the ones who'd want to make sure they got it right while desperately trying to find him, surely.

I personally would describe drinking from early afternoon to evening as "drinking all day" but I guess that's a subjective opinion.

I don't think you need to be falling down drunk necessarily to have an accident around a river swollen by flooding with no railings around it in the dark.

If you're talking about Lewes Present Facebook you need to scroll back half a dozen posts.

Who else has drowned there accidentally?

Yes that’s the one. I have no idea of their individual names, family/friends have mentioned it on there.

On page 11 of thread 1, there is a link to the barber shop CCTV footage, the last known siting of him at 19.41 where I think he looks drunk, many people on that thread also appeared to think so. There is a lighter version of that very same video where it looks much clearer and people were speculating that it looked like he had stepped out of a doorway further back. You can also see him holding his phone in his hand. I'm sure that lighter version of the video is about somewhere, I haven't had the chance to hunt for it properly yet.

We don't know he actually turned his phone off - he could of dropped it in a puddle and it broke, hence why he's holding it in that video. We don't know that he didn't tell anyone he was leaving - I haven't seen any exact details given from statements of the group to say what the circumstances of him leaving actually we're. Hence the speculation back along.

He was not 'nowhere near' the river, as I said before, from his last confirmed siting on the CCTV referred to above, he was just a five minute walk or so away. All he'd need to do was turn left and keep going.

People keep referring to this later footage at 20.45 which I believe has been ruled out by family and police as being him. No offence at all but Anthony was not a particularly distinctive looking person, there were probably lots of guys out similarly dressed with similar haircuts that night. We only know Anthony from photos and videos. His loved ones saw and spoke to him everyday, if they have looked at that footage and said it's not him I'd believe them. They, of all people, would be the ones who'd want to make sure they got it right while desperately trying to find him, surely.

I personally would describe drinking from early afternoon to evening as "drinking all day" but I guess that's a subjective opinion.

I don't think you need to be falling down drunk necessarily to have an accident around a river swollen by flooding with no railings around it in the dark.

You speak a lot of sense. Great post!

The problem being that mods left the post quoting the Other Site in situ but removed the post which put the quotes in context!

I reported the original post too. None of this should be brought over and discussed here. We don't know if any of it is true.

The 'loved one' in both those posts was Anthony Knott.

Note to Mods - When you removed shecarrot's post what was left was incorrect information which shecarrot had sought to explain. Now the incorrect information stands unchallenged, which is unfortunate.

No they are not related to AK. Independent posters, one stated a relative had passed a while ago.

No they are not related to AK. Independent posters, one stated a relative had passed a while ago.

From the BBC's News Website -

Mr Knott's brother Aaron Diamond has also given his support to the petition.
He commented: "My brother drowned in this river. It absolutely needs making safe. Something so simple could save a life."

Firefighter's fiancée backs call for river fencing

It really doesn't take much sleuthing!

The woman you mention was all over that site in the early days, so if you look back you will find several posts where she mentions her relationship to Anthony Knott's fiancee,

Last edited:

He commented: "My brother drowned in this river. It absolutely needs making safe. Something so simple could save a life."

If it's on msm we can of course quote and discuss it here. My apologies!

Just had to have a third look on google earth- I’m still not understanding how the last sighting is linking with any logical journey to the water by Tesco’s. following the direction he walked in on the 7.41 footage, he would have walked past Waitrose to get to Tesco’s. Did Waitrose shut at 8.00?, could he not have got in and kept going to Tesco’s? Walking along the road to Waitrose and on to the river path by Tesco’s there were several large road signs to the station, so he wasn’t looking to get home.

agree with all!

I was reading the comments under the petition set up to make river safer. A couple of photos have been posted showing the river on a normal summer day and then one taken on the night AK went missing. It helped me to see how high the river was and if for whatever reason AK was walking down there and stumbled, I can imagine trying to clamber back out wearing jeans and a denim jacket with a strong current would be very difficult.

Attachments

• F6D065B6-6ED2-4C06-8364-B0F921D0F140.jpeg
    F6D065B6-6ED2-4C06-8364-B0F921D0F140.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 126
  • A513EF43-8F86-4688-A1F4-6D9DC33EF0DF.jpeg
    A513EF43-8F86-4688-A1F4-6D9DC33EF0DF.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 114
Fascinating reading about post mortems and water deaths- warning there are some images included later on in the article.
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals
I found this article as the more I look at the photo by Tesco’s, the more I question if that was where entry to the water was- would there not have been scrabble marks up the side of the embankment and dirt under the fingernails (although I’m not sure how long that would last). It wasn’t like a canal or some rivers where it is a brick wall that you can’t get up. I’m sure anyone would frantically try to get out or grab at the vegetation before succumbing to the cold. Sorry to be graphic, I’m just still absolutely puzzled how he accidentally ended up in the water.

I was reading the comments under the petition set up to make river safer. A couple of photos have been posted showing the river on a normal summer day and then one taken on the night AK went missing. It helped me to see how high the river was and if for whatever reason AK was walking down there and stumbled, I can imagine trying to clamber back out wearing jeans and a denim jacket with a strong current would be very difficult.

There are two extensive threads relating to Anthony's disappearance , so the photos are already on here , posted by somebody living in Lewes .
The river was high that evening , but I'd guess probably not freakishly so to locals - at present there's a complete absence of evidence of where , when or how Anthony ended up in the river , but I don't necessarily believe that the Tesco path should be the only focus in terms of vulnerability , if at all .

The woman you mention was all over that site in the early days, so if you look back you will find several posts where she mentions her relationship to Anthony Knott's fiancee,

I’ve not mentioned a woman. I’m just repeating what I read by a few posters. As far as I’m aware they have no link to AK.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back