Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed hearing that he went head first! I assumed he used his legs to control his descent. Awful indeed. Poor kid.
Nowhere was that confirmed (HD head first). The question was what is depicted on video games such as Fortnite and entering confined spaces -- does the game depict reality or did it look easy.

@Sonic7273 provided this answer: So for the record, fortnite players get into the houses by either breaking walls down with their axe or just plain opening doors. The chimney is not a functional feature through which a player could enter an abandoned house. And per my son, even if you could you’d probably die of health damage.

Nowhere was that confirmed (HD head first). The question was what is depicted on video games such as Fortnite and entering confined spaces -- does the game depict reality or did it look easy.

@Sonic7273 provided this answer: So for the record, fortnite players get into the houses by either breaking walls down with their axe or just plain opening doors. The chimney is not a functional feature through which a player could enter an abandoned house. And per my son, even if you could you’d probably die of health damage.

‘Thanks for clarifying. I’ve had to do a lot of skimming to catch up.

It’s hard for me to understand how anyone could think going head first down a hole the size of a cake pan could ever be a good plan.

I guess it was either teenage stupidity or desperation. Either way it’s awful.

I don't think there's any making sense of a teen climbing inside a chimney and dying of suffocation, essentially.

When I read that Harley was found across the street from his home -- stuck inside a chimney, the first thing I thought of was another missing Colorado teen that was finally located two blocks from his dad's home after missing for more than 7 years. His mummified body was found inside the chimney that he apparently entered headfirst. (Joshua Maddux).

There are chimneys that you enter in fortnite, but afaik, they're not of the residential variety. That said, fortnite is huge and no one but a serious gamer would know for sure unless it was specifically pointed out to them.

From the link:

Switch to glider mode to make sure you have enough altitude and then dive straight down the chimney. The rings are about in the middle of the chimney. To cross them down, you'll have to face an aeration that pushes you up. The operation is somewhat tricky but you should cross your first ring in a few seconds.

Fortnite Guide: Skydive, rings locations, Steamy Stacks - Millenium

It isn't ridiculous. His mother said "he probably got the idea off all that ‘gaming’ he did with Fortnite. How they climb up things to go into abandoned homes to get treasures."

Calling her thoughts ridiculous might be considered unkind.

Mother of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly speaks out after he is found dead[/Q
It isn't ridiculous. His mother said "he probably got the idea off all that ‘gaming’ he did with Fortnite. How they climb up things to go into abandoned homes to get treasures."

Calling her thoughts ridiculous might be considered unkind.

Mother of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly speaks out after he is found dead
It is.

Also did Harley even play fortnite? Most of his videos that I’ve seen were madden mobile, football and such.
He did, not sure how much, but he made a 7 hr long live stream of game play of various games with his friend James in February of last year on youtube he titled "Playing XBox With a Friend". About 5 hrs 14 minutes in they switch to it, playing it in a game mode Harley termed "houses". I didn't hear any special references to chimney diving when they were starting up the game, but given its length I didn't watch it all the way through.

He did, not sure how much, but he made a 7 hr long live stream of game play of various games with his friend James in February of last year on youtube he titled "Playing XBox With a Friend". About 5 hrs 14 minutes in they switch to it, playing it in a game mode Harley termed "houses". I didn't hear any special references to chimney diving when they were starting up the game, but given its length I didn't watch it all the way through.

Picturing Harley in his element, live streaming games with a friend has me feeling equal parts sad and happy. He really was a special guy, from the brief glimpse we were privileged to see of him being comfortable in his own skin.

I think this was likely an accident, but it’s hard to believe a police department that wasn’t even smart enough to thoroughly search a vacant house within sight of Harley’s home. I don’t care how “undisturbed” the house looked. Sigh.
The US Constitution protects homeowners from illegal search and seizure. The police would either need the homeowners permission (which is what they got) or enough probable cause to obtain a search warrant. A locked door means no entry.

Picturing Harley in his element, live streaming games with a friend has me feeling equal parts sad and happy. He really was a special guy, from the brief glimpse we were privileged to see of him being comfortable in his own skin.

My heart goes out to him, his friends and family- all who knew and loved him. I can't begin to fathom the shock and pain they must be experiencing.

There are chimneys that you enter in fortnite, but afaik, they're not of the residential variety. That said, fortnite is huge and no one but a serious gamer would know for sure unless it was specifically pointed out to them.

From the link:

Switch to glider mode to make sure you have enough altitude and then dive straight down the chimney. The rings are about in the middle of the chimney. To cross them down, you'll have to face an aeration that pushes you up. The operation is somewhat tricky but you should cross your first ring in a few seconds.

Wow. So it is possible he got the idea from Fortnite. We know he spent a lot of time online. Was he really into gaming to the degree he would know about this feature, then went to try it in the real world? Wow.

Wow. So it is possible he got the idea from Fortnite. We know he spent a lot of time online. Was he really into gaming to the degree he would know about this feature, then went to try it in the real world? Wow.
To put this in perspective, these are the “chimneys” you can enter in Fortnite:

960x0.jpg

This is a residential chimney in the game that you can not enter:

fortnite-moisty-mire-treasure-location3.jpg

Last edited:
Actually there was a critical need to clean chimneys back in the days this type of house was built, the chimney was most likely sized with that need in mind. Historic references are easy to find on google. Chimney sweep jobs were an integral part of the work force, unfortunately often children were forced into that because they were small, the practice now considered a dark stain on the history of forced child labor. The furnace would probably have been a coal burner, not wood, in areas with lots of coal available. Gas furnaces were not even invented until 1919, and burning wood was very inefficient.
I'm aware that stoves were used in the 1800s whether they used coal or wood. Stoves provided heat but I'm not aware there was any type of furnace in this case. The chimney in Harley's case served no purpose at the time of his death, according to the owner of the property.

My point is that Harley suffered compression suffocation. His chest had no room to inhale or exhale. I find it hard to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe. I have no idea what fuel the original stoves used or if there was a furnace involved and really don't care. The issue for me isn't the fuel, the issue is the size of the chimney and the fact that the size of it is what killed Harley.

JMO

From the link:

To put this in perspective, these are the “chimneys” you can enter in Fortnite:

960x0.jpg

This is a residential chimney in the game that you can not enter:

fortnite-moisty-mire-treasure-location3.jpg
The first ones look like 3 Mile Island or San Onofre Nuclear Power plant.
And you’d have to be awfully scrawny to fit in the house chimneys.

All that aside. To a kid, it wouldn’t matter if the real chimney looks like the game one, it’s still going to be intriguing to a kids. IMO

The first ones look like 3 Mile Island or San Onofre Nuclear Power plant.
And you’d have to be awfully scrawny to fit in the house chimneys.

All that aside. To a kid, it wouldn’t matter if the real chimney looks like the game one, it’s still going to be intriguing to a kids. IMO
Just wanted to give a visual to people unfamiliar with the game. I don’t think it inspired his actions. Landing on roofs and breaking through them to enter a building is common in the game, but entering through chimneys is not.

[snipped]
My point is that Harley suffered compression suffocation. His chest had no room to inhale or exhale. I find it hard to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe. I have no idea what fuel the original stoves used or if there was a furnace involved and really don't care. The issue for me isn't the fuel, the issue is the size of the chimney and the fact that the size of it is what killed Harley.
JMO
It's hard for you to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe?

Wouldn't he descend pretty quickly at first, due to gravity? And then at some point, he would be wedged in?

If he didn't enter the chimney from the roof, how did he get in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa