Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
News sources were saying male and quoting the Governor and others. It was the President and news sources quoting Trump who mistakenly said it was a “wonderful woman”.

Yes, here is the AP statement:

Dr. Jeffrey Duchin, a Seattle and King county health official who works with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the person who died was a man in his 50s.

News sources were saying male and quoting the Governor and others. It was the President and news sources quoting Trump who mistakenly said it was a “wonderful woman”.

Maybe this is why the governmental committee should just have scientists on it and not politicians.

IHMO. MOO (I'll delete it if this is gonna cause trouble.)

Ecuador’s Health Minister Catalina Andramuño Zeballos said a more-than-70-year-old Ecuadoran woman who lives in Spain arrived in the country on Feb. 14 showing no symptoms of illness.

“In the following days she began to feel badly with a fever,” Andramuño said at a news conference, adding that she was taken to a medical center. The National Institute of Public Health and Investigation in Ecuador confirmed the virus.

The deputy minister of health, Julio López said that the patient’s condition was “critical.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/ecuador-reports-1st-new-virus-case-mexico-confirms-a-third/2020/02/29/aa89792c-5b1b-11ea-8efd-0f904bdd8057_story.html?outputType=amp

Dear @JerseyGirl,

Thank you for this information.

Delay in symptoms appearing seems to be one of the most serious obstacles thwarting efforts to contain the Coronavirus:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

"Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure*:

• Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath"

Last edited:
A man in his 50s with underlying conditions on Saturday was reported as the first covid-19-related fatality in the United States.

Jeffrey S. Duchin, the chief health officer for Seattle and King County, Wash., said the death occured at EvergreenHealth hospital in Kirkland, Wash.

Earlier in the day, President Trump described the patient as a “wonderful woman” and a “medically high-risk patient,” at a news conference at the White House.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/first-us-coronavirus-death-prompts-new-travel-restrictions-from-trump/2020/02/29/4d492a7c-5b2b-11ea-9b35-def5a027d470_story.html?outputType=amp

OMG. Seriously? Trump’s never going to hear the end of this one...

Wow.

Last edited:
I think the CDC has abdicated their original role in these events and now delegates it to local health departments, which are even more underfunded and understaffed. Yay for tax cuts! :rolleyes:
The CDC website says they only update the new cases on Mon., Wed., and Friday. So the news from CDC could actually be 3 days old since Fri. 4pm is cutoff for the weekend and new cases would not be reported til Monday sometime.

Also CDC lists 6 states w/ active cases.
Ca.,Wa., Az., Wi., Il. and Ma.

And their world cases map shows about 200
large and small countries with active cases.

Coronavirus: Seattle area facility reports nation's first cluster of cases

Health officials announced on Saturday an outbreak of coronavirus illness in a long term health care facility in the Seattle region.

The cases are unrelated to Saturday’s death of Washington state man in his 50s.

There are two confirmed cases in the Life Care Center of Kirkland, Washington, which provides skilled nursing care and rehabilitation.

One is in a healthcare worker, who is in satisfactory condition. The second is a facility resident in their 70s, who is in serious condition.

In addition, 27 of the 108 residents at the facility have symptoms of the illness and 25 of the facility’s 180 staff have symptoms.

I feel a drinking game coming on.....

(I already drank my emergency beer supply but I’m certainly happy to go get more ahahahah.

@Herat, you’ll appreciate this: yesterday a neighbor left a box of chocolates on my porch. I couldn’t have jumped higher. I was like, what perfect timing, right when I was doing the squirrel on crack cupboard dance!! )

(I already drank my emergency beer supply but I’m certainly happy to go get more ahahahah.

@Herat, you’ll appreciate this: yesterday a neighbor left a box of chocolates on my porch. I couldn’t have jumped higher. I was like, what perfect timing, right when I was doing the squirrel on crack cupboard dance!! )

I actually made a *generous* Sees Candy order yesterday.

Well, heck, St Patrick's Day and Easter are on the way and I am NOT going to be denied my Sees Chocolate Easter Bunny and chocolate candy eggs.

No way is some teeny virus gonna do THAT to me

Why? Gee whiz.

Non political statement:

He’s already been getting clobbered in the media for things relating to CV. Doing a Presidential Briefing to announce the first death in the United States and you don’t even get the gender right? It was a “wonderful woman”? Lol. I have no political agenda or affiliation, I’d say wow if it was anyone, red, blue or green.

Briefings are supposed to bring information. Not cause further confusion. Moo.

That’s all I’ll say about that.

But what about the 19 year old man?

Are we sure it’s a mistake? I guess we are?

All confused. The details will reveal themselves soon enough I suppose.

Maybe transgender?

But first let's debunk two myths that are showing up a lot in my mentions:
Myth 1: "We're all gonna die!" Nope. This isn't a disease in which most infected people die. Only about 5% of cases are critical; 1-2% die. Most cases will be like this guy: The Washington Post on Twitter
Jeremy Konyndyk on Twitter

Perspective: I have the coronavirus. So far, it isn’t that bad. https://t.co/9tSBp67CND

Myth 2: "No big deal, it's just like flu"
NO. Much more dangerous. Around twice as contagious, 10-20 times as deadly. And no vaccine or treatment.
Means the plausible high-end risk is big, because spreading <2% fatality across a vastly large number of people would kill many.
Jeremy Konyndyk on Twitter

Coronavirus: Seattle area facility reports nation's first cluster of cases

Health officials announced on Saturday an outbreak of coronavirus illness in a long term health care facility in the Seattle region.

The cases are unrelated to Saturday’s death of Washington state man in his 50s.

There are two confirmed cases in the Life Care Center of Kirkland, Washington, which provides skilled nursing care and rehabilitation.

One is in a healthcare worker, who is in satisfactory condition. The second is a facility resident in their 70s, who is in serious condition.

In addition, 27 of the 108 residents at the facility have symptoms of the illness and 25 of the facility’s 180 staff have symptoms.

This is a really terrible, but utterly predictable turn of events. This must be horrible for all those caregivers, as well as the residents and their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan