Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there have obviously been little intervention. So this would mean we have almost 10,000 cases of backlog due to slowness of testing,
----------------------------
*New* preprint Est. the Scale of #COVIDー19 Epidemic in the #US based on air traffic from Wuhan
https://t.co/SknE27JH1F
Model estimates 9,484 infected cases as of 03/01 if no successful intervention procedures.
With preventive procedures 1,043 cases
. COVID19 on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_164438.png
    IMG_20200309_164438.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 2
This really scares me. There are no plans on cancelling the Cavendish Beach Music Festival that happens here every July...and brings in tens of thousands of people from all over. Also, there are 2 cruise ships due to arrive in Charlottetown at the end of April. There aren't any cases of COVID-19 in my province yet, and I'd really like to keep it that way. :( I know that's not a real possibility at this point, but a girl can dream.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-festivals-conventions-coronavirus-1.5491076

Again I ask, since it is spreading in Australia, and it is currently summer in Australia, why should we have any expectation that warm weather will have a slowing effect on this virus?
1st of March is officially autumn so summer is behind us. Yes we are still warm compared to many other countries, however there has been an awful lot of rainy weather which has cooled us down considerably. Our average normal day temp atm is 20C or 68F.

An article in a Swedish newspaper with among others Agnes Wold, a professor in clinical bacteriology,
who means that the lockdown of Italy will not be enough to stop the spread of the virus. She also doesn't see that the US will be able to prevent a large number of infected patients. And don't plan any travelling this summer and autumn either, if you want to be on the safe side. ”Det är kört för Italien”

I am very glad you aren’t on a cruise during this mess.

Thank you :) If our usual winter cruise (for my January 27 birthday) had been a week or two later, we probably would have canceled. I would not take the chance of flying to a port city and embarking a ship when there is known infection. We made a future-cruise deposit while onboard but have no plans to sail anytime soon and will not even consider actually booking a future cruise until we know for certain that COVID-19 has been contained.

Thanks for all of the updates of accurate information you have all linked for us to read.

Once again, to find accurate information, I just have to log into WebSleuths!

You are all greatly appreciated.

I'm just deeply sorry that the subject here is so extremely saddening and distressful.

Last edited:
Again I ask, since it is spreading in Australia, and it is currently summer in Australia, why should we have any expectation that warm weather will have a slowing effect on this virus?
The temp in Melbourne, Australia is only supposed to get to 70 today. There are a few days later in the week showing a projected temp at about 80. I think, historically, we’ve seen respiratory viruses tend to die out over hot summer months, but I don’t consider 70-80 degrees to be “hot”. Of course, I’m from Texas. So summer here will be 100+ degrees. Daily. For weeks on end. Most respiratory viruses don’t continue circulating at the same rates once the Texas heat hits us. Perhaps this is part of why the “summer” there isn’t having quite the same impact?

1st of March is officially autumn so summer is behind us. Yes we are still warm compared to many other countries, however there has been an awful lot of rainy weather which has cooled us down considerably. Our average normal day temp atm is 20C or 68F.
Thank you. My mom and I did visit Australia during your winter (July)and I found it warm enough, as in similar to here in NJ during summer. We were in Queensland and I realize the farther north, the warmer the climate. But we were swimming in the ocean and in pools the entire trip...Brisbane to Cairns (Port Douglas). The Aussies did seem to think it was too chilly to swim (water temp) lol.

Bottom line. It is all about the$$$$$, isn't it?
For the love of life:
Disney Worldwide - shut down the damn parks!
Toyoko Olypmics- shut it down now!
National sports - Stop the games!
Schools, Universities - Shut down!
This pandemic will not last forever, if we do the right thing now.
I am a PIZZED off old lady who no longer can enjoy my advanced years because of this crap. It's OK. I care more for the upcoming generation. Why can't those in control just do the right thing?

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/09/coronavirus-live-updates/
March 9, 2020 at 4:47 p.m. EDT
Italy expands travel restrictions to entire country, locking down 60 million people in its fight against coronavirus

BREAKING NEWS: The decision, announced Monday night by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, comes just a day after Italy imposed similar restrictions on one-quarter of the country. The rapid acceleration shows that Italian policymakers have come to believe that hard-line measures are the best way to slow the virus’s spread.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Speaking of Florida - What will happen when the snowbirds return to their home states? Several of our neighbors spend winters in Florida, usually from early January through mid-April. So far, Michigan has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but I worry about what happens when those who winter in Florida return home in a few weeks.
Same here in SW NM. We are snowbird country. So far, no cases of COVID. When the snowbirds return next month, I suspect life as we know it, will indeed change..GROAN,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekmtl